Mt Donna Buang - Road Bike or Hybrid?

clackers

Re: Mt Donna Buang - Road Bike or Hybrid?

Postby clackers » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:41 pm

djw47 wrote: I made the foolish mistake of turning off too early and going up Yuonga Road which was a brutal dirt track climb about 1km out of Warburton town..
The car park there is a great starting point for a hybrid to ride the excellent dual track beside the O'Shannassy Aqueduct. Goes all the way to Don Road and beyond.

VRE

Postby VRE » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:30 pm

djw47 wrote:I started the ascent of Donna Buang from Warburton on Sunday but didn't have time to get to the top so had to turn back to Warburton unfortunately. It's a beautiful ride up there and I think I saw about 3 cars in total between Warburton and where the road becomes Acheron Way - where I turned back. I made the foolish mistake of turning off too early and going up Yuonga Road which was a brutal dirt track climb about 1km out of Warburton town. I'm thinking of making another attempt this weekend if the weather holds up.
Well, at least you didn't completely lose your way, and ride up Martyr Rd, which is apparently one of the steepest roads in the Melbourne area. I haven't ridden up this road, though, although I may try it one day. By the way, if you have time on the next ride, take 10 minutes off to check out the Rainforest Gallery just where Donna Buang Rd meets The Acheron Way: it's quite a nice view from the raised walking platform above the rainforest.

mexicanmagic

Postby mexicanmagic » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:57 pm

Happy to say I did it last Sunday with a group of friends. Rode from Launching Place through Warburton and then up to the summit. Did not break any speed records (Mt Donna Buang Strava segment 1:23 flat). Gee it was a great ride with some great friends and a terrific way to begin the day before enjoying a few beers over lunch. Road is great and it was def one for the road bike!! Did it quite ok with standard cranks and a 25 granny gear. MtBuller is now on my bucket list and is in my sights. Thanks everyone who provided input!

VRE

Postby VRE » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:01 pm

mexicanmagic wrote:Happy to say I did it last Sunday with a group of friends. Rode from Launching Place through Warburton and then up to the summit. Did not break any speed records (Mt Donna Buang Strava segment 1:23 flat). Gee it was a great ride with some great friends and a terrific way to begin the day before enjoying a few beers over lunch. Road is great and it was def one for the road bike!! Did it quite ok with standard cranks and a 25 granny gear. MtBuller is now on my bucket list and is in my sights. Thanks everyone who provided input!
Well, if it's any help: I considered Mt Buller an easier climb than Mt Donna Buang. Enjoy! :D

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:24 pm

Buller's longer but has a nice even feel to it. Really only the one tough switchback, and a steepish finish to the village.

VRE

Postby VRE » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:15 am

clackers wrote:Buller's longer but has a nice even feel to it. Really only the one tough switchback, and a steepish finish to the village.
Longer? Not according to my Garmin. The Climbing Cyclist website lists Buller as 16.8km with average 5.9% grade, and Donna Buang as 16.8km with average 6.4% grade. Unless you're referring to the climb past the start of the village?

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:14 am

No, I jumped off as soon as I reached the sign. :)

You're right, VRE, it's Buffalo that's longer, not Buller

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:06 am

Always go up till the sealed surface stops... :wink:

VRE

Postby VRE » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:46 pm

dalai47 wrote:Always go up till the sealed surface stops... :wink:
Unless you're part of a group that has agreed to stop earlier, which was the case in my Mt Buller ride last year, where the agreed stop point was one of the village's cafes.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:06 pm

General touring preference: climb on gravel; descend on tarmac.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:09 pm

I enjoyed both donna & buller but for different reasons. they are both tough and both have tough finishes but I did fin hell corner more painful than that last pinch on donna. I did ride from mansfield though.

Donna has less cars and the descent is better imo but you get better views from buller and you can buy a coke at the top :D

Just do both I reckon and throw in lake mountain as well, now thats a descent 8)
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

im.deano

Postby im.deano » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:29 am

I'm doing this on standard road cranks and 11-26, i've done macedon before and I struggled with this gear ratio and had to stop and take a breather half way up. Should I be okay or is 11- 28 a worthwhile investment?

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:35 pm

Generally speaking if you are climbing fit and under 50 a standard road crank set with an 11-23 or maybe up to a 25 should get you up most moderate climbs such as Buller, Donna or Falls and Buffalo. Being lean always helps. Because climbing is about power to weight and specific climbing fitness. After that age ime, your power on climbs drops off gradually and you are better off to go to a compact. (I've met exceptions of course, strong guys who can still climb walls in 39-21 at age 55 plus.) Up until a few years ago I could climb Donna easily enough on a 39/23-25 but now I struggle unless very fit and at optimum weight, so I use a 34/24 or on the steep pinches the 28. Times don't matter to me anymore being so slow as I enjoy the downhill much more. :D
Even for hard races such as the Baw Baw classic or ToB the top masters and good B graders will use a compact. There is no shame in it like some would have it but it's about spinning in the ideal cadence so you don't blow up. An 11-28 gives you insurance on steeper long climbs so I would say put it on and treat the 28 as your bail out gear.

mexicanmagic

Postby mexicanmagic » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:14 pm

Did buller today and picked a brilliant day for it! I reckon overall Donna was tougher but the last pinch on buller is tougher than anything I've done before. I enjoyed the views on buller better and was nice to buy a coffee at the top. I've got standard cranks (39) on the front with 25 on the back.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:10 pm

Try Baw Baw now. With 39-25 if you can ride the last 6kms you're a better rider than me. I walked for 5kms :x
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

mexicanmagic

Postby mexicanmagic » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:20 am

Based on what I've read on Baw Baw I won't be even thinking of it without a 27 or 28 on the back. Even then, Baw Baw is not on my radar at the moment. If I had a 27/28 on my current bike no doubt I would have used it on buller yesterday - especially on the last couple of k's.

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:52 am

mexicanmagic wrote:Did buller today and picked a brilliant day for it! I reckon overall Donna was tougher but the last pinch on buller is tougher than anything I've done before. I enjoyed the views on buller better and was nice to buy a coffee at the top. I've got standard cranks (39) on the front with 25 on the back.
Bring back memories, MM?