Magpie attacks this season

jc2153

Magpie attacks this season

Postby jc2153 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:28 am

Hi,

After being attacked last week - I'm interested in mapping the magpie attacks this year to help us cyclists avoid nuisance birds!

I've created a basic website to help track these and would really appreciate if you could please make a visit to the site and record the details of your attacks and post any safety tips ?
http://www.magpiealert.com/

Many thanks in advance :)

Jon

rokwiz

Re: Magpie attacks this season

Postby rokwiz » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:19 am

Hi John,
Would know where to start on some NE Victorian rail trails. The Maggies start attacking from late July right through to early November.One after the other some years its like the "Battle of Britain"
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D Diderot 1752

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:09 am

Nice work Jon. Reports suggest that the M7 magpie near Eastern Creek Waste center has been "relocated".
Would it be hard to provide a way of showing a magpie had been neutralized (e.g. graying out previous
reports) ?

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

jc2153

Postby jc2153 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:30 pm

Hi WombatK,

Shouldn't be too hard to do, a quick fiddle with the DB and I can knock-up another google map marker and hey presto.. I wonder, now currently if you select a bird marker I throw up a message with details of the attack, I'll see about putting a button on the pop-up so people can mark them neutralised.

Any idea when it was moved on, I went past on Sunday and thought it was perched up on a power line but too hot to be bothered with me, lets hope it was a different one! Will check again when I fly past on Sunday.

Over the past 2 days I've had loads of reports coming in I've had to change the http://www.magpiealert.com/SwoopingMagpieMap.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
map page and give it next/previous pagination!

If you hear of any more relocations please let me know, fanx

Jon

jc2153

Postby jc2153 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:54 pm

WombatK,

This magpie is now shown as removed on the homepage - just got to change the maps http://www.magpiealert.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:25 pm

wombatK wrote:Nice work Jon. Reports suggest that the M7 magpie near Eastern Creek Waste center has been "relocated".
Would it be hard to provide a way of showing a magpie had been neutralized (e.g. graying out previous
reports) ?

Cheers
Just to be clear I heard this from another rider on Tuesday. Perhaps it needs to be confirmed by others before that magpie is removed?

Andrew09

Postby Andrew09 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:04 pm

I've ridden the length of the M7 cycleway twice in the last 5 days and the M7 maggie has not been sighted. Yippeee! Nothing but a pleasant ride now.

jc2153

Postby jc2153 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:09 pm

I also rode it on Sunday and can confirm it's gone!

http://www.magpiealert.com/SwoopingMagpieMapNSW.php

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:35 am

I have ridden the M7 three times since last Tuesday and no sign of the Waste Management Centre magpie. Somewhat puzzling is that a few others claim they have been swooped by this magpie over that period. Perhaps it wasn't a magpie?

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:55 pm

Wow awesome work on the site. Its already helped me out before.

Your blog is hilarious too. I hope you can continue writing your stories as I found them hilarious and very enjoyable to read:

He took off and made his approach, I'd read somewhere that they only attack from behind (as was the case when I cycled past him earlier so I slammed on the brakes! (not recommended when doing 30kph) Skidded and came to a halt, I turned and shouted something only a caveman could understand and to my surprise the magpie kind of freaked out! He didn't know what to do so flapped wildly to get air and moved off to another lamppost. I carried on (heart beating furiously) only to see him attack another poor soul!
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:02 am

Weird, hateful creatures...one just up from my house has been swooping me and cracking it's beak in my ear like a loud POP!! several times till I changed my route fo a couple of weeks. Ventured tentatively back on the original route and ...no magpie!

Maybe it clacked its bloody beak off :P
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian