Opinions on KTM bikes?

AP81

Opinions on KTM bikes?

Postby AP81 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:13 pm

I have an opportunity to buy a demo KTM Strada 3000 for $1k, with full warranty, etc. I'm going to demo it in the next few days, but haven't heard (or read) much about KTM bicycles. Having owned KTM motorbikes in the past, it has sparked my interest in their bicycle line.

http://www.ktm4u.co.uk/ktm-cycles/ktm-r ... trada-3000

I suspect resale value will be poor, but I plan to run it into the ground. If I like the bike, I am tempted to get it.

Anyone have any opinions on KTM bikes in general?

barefoot

Re: Opinions on KTM bikes?

Postby barefoot » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:30 pm

*shrug*

$1k for an Ultegra groupset and Aksium wheelset, with a frame and fork thrown in for free?

I can't see why not...

tim

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:19 pm

Quality brand from Austria, though the motorcycle division is more well known, they have been known in Europe for their bike for years- in Australian the import has only started relatively recently.

TDC

Postby TDC » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:37 pm

AP81 wrote:I have an opportunity to buy a demo KTM Strada 3000 for $1k, with full warranty, etc. I'm going to demo it in the next few days, but haven't heard (or read) much about KTM bicycles. Having owned KTM motorbikes in the past, it has sparked my interest in their bicycle line.

I suspect resale value will be poor, but I plan to run it into the ground. If I like the bike, I am tempted to get it.

I think it is grammatically incorrect to use "resale value" and "bike in the same paragraph.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:04 pm

No it's not grammatically incorrect...it's just silly.

If it is KTM and not black and orange then you are doing it wrong. Otherwise...a fine thing that is well worth owning.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:08 pm

You'll see some photos of their latest bikes if you look at the Taipei 2013 photo albums on my facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/pro-liteaustralia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The relationship with KTM is a name licencing agreement only - that being said, I really like their products. Their mountain bikes especially were some of the nicest on show in Taiwan.

axeman74

Postby axeman74 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:50 pm

KTM bikes have been around for years, and like their motorcycle division, have an excellent reputation in all markets in which they are sold. This hasn't included Australia till recently. Funnily enough they have been sold in NZ for a number of years. I think they are all Taiwanese production nowadays, but as we all know, that is a positive rather than a negative.

On a recent trip to Austria I noticed that possibly 7 out of 10 bikes in Vienna where KTMs. And 3 hours away in Budapest I noticed the same thing. Apparently the stolen bike racket in Hungary (mostly KTMs from Vienna) is almost as big as the stolen car racket in Albania. Or so I am told.

Anyway, a brand new KTM with Mavic/Ultegra parts for $1000? I think you are on a winner buddy.

Axeman74

AP81

Postby AP81 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:23 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:No it's not grammatically incorrect...it's just silly.
Understand completely. Been there, done that. Any bike I buy from now is for keeps (or eventually give to a friend when the time comes to upgrade). Still a valid point, I know people who specifically only ever buy giants, as they have the best resale of any bikes.

Anyway thanks for the opinions. Will post back if I end up getting it.

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:26 pm

Are they made in India like their dirt bikes ? (Bought over by Indians couple of years ago).

axeman74

Postby axeman74 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:29 pm

Nope, whilst Bajaj India is in a partnership with KTM motorcycles (distribution in Asia of the Austrian made bikes and Bajaj are manufacturing a smaller/cheaper model for Asia badged as KTM), has nothing to do with KTM bicycles which is run as a separate company.

Axeman74

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:58 pm

Their dirt bikes are no longer made in Austria.
Bajaj own majority of Ktm.
Wonder who's making the frames for the push bikes ?

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:07 pm

Same people who make most of the other bikes in the world. And probably charge more and less for the same object. Would buy with those colours and that price. Almost a bargain.

Jim

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:43 pm

They certainly know how to package a bike cosmetically, very pretty things !
Their dirt bikes are no different ( been into dirt bikes for a long time) .

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:29 am

Ended up riding with a fella over the weekend who has just got into MTB after time on off road motor bikes...and he had a very nice KTM pushie, a Myroon 29er hardtail.

Carbon frame, full SLX group (xcept XT Shadow + RD) with a RS Reba fork. To my mind only the Alex wheels let it down though they were Shimano hubs. $3K retail though :shock:

LJI

Postby LJI » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:40 pm

I bought a KTM Strada 1.0 (ex demo model for $975) about 3 weeks ago and have really been enjoying it so far. It was assembled pretty terribly and took some serious adjustment to get the gears running smoothly but it is now running 100%. I think this is more a poor reflection on the seller than on the brand.

I feel the bike is top notch for the cost of $975 but if I had paid the retail of $1750 I would have been disappointed. It is an alum frame and clocks in at just under 8kg all up.

I was seriously looking at getting a strada 3000 for $1200 from the same seller (also ex demo) but he sold it just before I could buy. If you have a chance to get one for $1000 I'd say take it. The 1.0 has a fantastic quality frame. Very smoothly ground welds and a really good finish on the paint. Aside from all else, it's nice to be riding something other than 'just another giant'.

Just note that it looks like the cassette on the strada 3000 is a 105!

EDIT: I might add that when I was considering buying my 1.0 I also tried to find some opinions on the KTM brand and KTM road bikes more specifically -- I found nothing in Australia. I was sold on the brand by translating foreign forum posts and by riding the bike. Phoning a few KTM stockists in Melbourne and discussing the bike with them also helped convince me of the quality. The fact that these melbournian stockists were selling the 1.0 for a very hard $1700 was a good sign that $950 was a fair price (and indeed that the 3000 for 1000 is a fantastic price!). Hopefully in time some more balanced opinions on KTM road bikes will develop in Australia.

thejester

Postby thejester » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:26 am

we sell the KTM's. Frames seem really good quality but there is a brand premium to be paid .Group set is generally a step down on equivalent Giant.
Trek Madone 3.1
Giant CRX4 - Black Ghost
Shogun Trailbreaker3
I need a dualie

Ritzo90

Postby Ritzo90 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:19 am

Hey guys,
first post, I'd like to get into the cycling scene, at the moment I'm just commuting 12.5km each way.

I saw the KTM Strada 1.0 at $1290 and I was wondering if anyone has one and would it work as a commutur? I can't find any information on the frame in regards to if its a H1 or H2, looks H1 to me so wearing a back pack might be a but tough.

Thoughts?

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:38 pm

AP81 wrote:I have an opportunity to buy a demo KTM Strada 3000 for $1k, with full warranty, etc. I'm going to demo it in the next few days, but haven't heard (or read) much about KTM bicycles. Having owned KTM motorbikes in the past, it has sparked my interest in their bicycle line.

yeh i have owned a KTM dualie Compx RX

was not impressed with it at all.

LJI

Postby LJI » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:05 pm

For what it's worth.

I've been riding the strada 1.0 since late april this year and have found it a breeze.

It's definitely fine for a 12km commute, I use it for a 14km commute daily. I've taken it on a few longer trips though it mostly just gets 50km bashes on the weekend. It's performed really well.

As I said above, I bought it for $950 and am really happy with it.

If I'd bought it for the RRP for 1750, I'd just be happy with it.