Moron Motorists #3

Percrime

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Percrime » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:01 am

And yet again.. I dont believe its possible to get 200 watts and only 200 watts out of a petrol engine and have it be useful. Actually... assuming this 200 watts is measured at the output shaft (as it would be) but really stretching the definition of an output shaft... you could do it by having the motor drive a generatior and have that run an electric motor. THat would work. And probably be simpler than trying to get 200 watts out with some sort of governer set up. Which just shows how rubbish the idea of using a petrol motor for the job is.

I can not find a single petrol engine anywhere with an output of only 200 watt. I do not believe such a beast (heh.... ) exists. If it does its probably powering a full scale model butterfly or something

Mod says: the language filter exists for a reason. That reason isnt bypassing. Keep it family friendly please, not sure how many times we have to point out this site is used by schools as an educational resource, not to mention the number of members who read the forums with their kids.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:02 am

Sometimes the adverts open popup windows automatically and that's how you get this malware, etc.

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:16 am

BMW X5 roars past my friend and I this morning closer than 1.5m when there was plenty of room to go around us properly. Minor annoyance but avoidable if the driver had showed some courtesy.

I get to work and there is another X5 (same colour but different rego) having about 50 attempts at reversing into parking spot marked "small vehicles". :roll: There were at least a dozen regular sized parking spots no more than 20m away.

Mod says: same comment as a couple of posts up.... :roll:

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:54 am

ldrcycles wrote:Had a bloke in a mazda 323 get on the horn behind me this morning because I dared to ride in "his" lane rather than in the gutter, even though I was well and truly doing the 40kmh limit (and then a bit), I gave him a "ssh" gesture, he overtook over double lines then swerved in front and hit the brakes. Freak coincidence I just happened to hit a bump at just that point which bounced my water bottle clean out of it's cage and into his back window all by accident :wink: . Funnily Mr Big Tough Man took off like the proverbial once it was obvious I wasn't prepared to put up with his little games, jerk.
Love it.......smashing idea, now looking to purchase a titanium tipped bottle.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:02 am

Lukeyboy wrote:
GeoffInBrisbane wrote:MSE doing a full scan after updating now, but nothing showing up yet. Il Padrone, were you using any adblockers (if this issue supposedly came from one of their advertisers)? Trying to work out if I'm in the clear or not...
I use adblock plus + firefox and I haven't received any notifications via my virus software (ZoneAlarm). Will do a full system scan and see if anything pops up in the morning.
That's what I'm using too (well okay, I'm using Waterfox, but same same). Sounding hopeful.
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:04 am

DavidS wrote:
GeoffInBrisbane wrote:MSE doing a full scan after updating now, but nothing showing up yet. Il Padrone, were you using any adblockers (if this issue supposedly came from one of their advertisers)? Trying to work out if I'm in the clear or not...
Google The Security Tango, I do this about once a month.

DS
Cheers DS, will do!
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:13 am

sorry Il Padrone and others - i didn't know the site was bugged. :oops: :oops: that's one of our local rags and i wouldn't know a computer bug if it bit me on the nose.

i didn't mean to cause mayhem.... :|

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:53 am

Ross wrote:BMW X5 roars past my friend and I this morning closer than 1.5m when there was plenty of room to go around us properly. Minor annoyance but avoidable if the driver had showed some courtesy.

I get to work and there is another X5 (same colour but different rego) having about 50 attempts at reversing into parking spot marked "small vehicles". :roll: There were at least a dozen regular sized parking spots no more than 20m away.

Mod says: same comment as a couple of posts up.... :roll:
No one has mandated money and brains go hand in hand :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
OI onya bike!!!

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:58 am

Wakatuki wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:Had a bloke in a mazda 323 get on the horn behind me this morning because I dared to ride in "his" lane rather than in the gutter, even though I was well and truly doing the 40kmh limit (and then a bit), I gave him a "ssh" gesture, he overtook over double lines then swerved in front and hit the brakes. Freak coincidence I just happened to hit a bump at just that point which bounced my water bottle clean out of it's cage and into his back window all by accident :wink: . Funnily Mr Big Tough Man took off like the proverbial once it was obvious I wasn't prepared to put up with his little games, jerk.
LOL it would have been hard to explain it was an accident if the bloke stopped and he was 7 foot tall and built like a brick outhouse.... :shock:
OI onya bike!!!

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:43 pm

Gordonhooker wrote:
Wakatuki wrote:
LOL it would have been hard to explain it was an accident if the bloke stopped and he was 7 foot tall and built like a brick outhouse.... :shock:
So is LDR....

AKO

Postby AKO » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:26 pm

Wakatuki wrote:
On one of the first bunch rides I went on, I rode next a bloke who had a small strip of double sided tape on top of his bars with a couple of CO canisters stuck to them. Making conversation I said "you must get a lot of flats". They're not for flats he said. I think it was about a month later when I was squeezed at a roundabout that I understood what they were for.
Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Malvern Star Path Racer 1 (2015)
ProLite Cuneo

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:15 pm

AKO wrote:
Wakatuki wrote:
On one of the first bunch rides I went on, I rode next a bloke who had a small strip of double sided tape on top of his bars with a couple of CO canisters stuck to them. Making conversation I said "you must get a lot of flats". They're not for flats he said. I think it was about a month later when I was squeezed at a roundabout that I understood what they were for.
Only a few pages back we were looking for cheap/disposable traffic calming devices. Do we have a winner?

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:24 pm

So is LDR....
Well there you go that would be interesting :lol: :lol: :lol:
OI onya bike!!!

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:38 pm

Having a walk around the block this morning after getting coffee, myself and a workmates are crossing a quiet backstreet lane way, and mr important in his big black land cruiser looks directly at us, half way across the road he wants to exit, then he floors it and barrels right past us and turns left. Came within 50cm of sending us both over the bonnet!
He must have had somewhere super important to go that he was happy to almost mow down two pedestrians!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:41 pm

Wakatuki wrote:

You wouldn't believe the noise it made, sounded like the whole back half of the car caved in! :lol: I like the sound of the co2 canisters though, cheaper than water bottles and you don't have to stop and pick them up afterwards.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Thrilloilogy

Postby Thrilloilogy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:18 pm

Todays moron motorist was the small old hatch wanting to go straight from the left turn only lane on Epping Rd onto Centennial Ave at Lane Cove. He waits there pretty much all sequence; then a motorcyclist lane slips to the front to turn left and waits for the lights. The lights go green to go straight, however the left turn arrow is red as he has to give way to me at the bike lane lights; and moron motorist honks the cyclist. It must have annoyed him that I was obviously laughing at him after I crossed!

Karma!

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:33 pm

Here is one from my commute to Red Hill today.
Normally a nice ride but today there were morons aplenty! Lots of close shaves on a straight road where some drivers couldn't possibly wait 5 seconds for an oncoming car to go past. No siree. Just barrel on through.
Dam the Go Pro lens makes it look further away than it actually was.

http://youtu.be/KfXHaSy1qPQ

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:57 pm

Yer need ta ride a bit wider :idea:

I despair at the relentlessly dangerous overtaking of Australian drivers on faster (80kmh+) roads. It's either fang past with a close shave and revving engine, or an almost reasonable pass but over the double lines with onconing traffic :roll: :x It was just so apparent to us how this did not happen in Italy, despite all the warnings some friends gave about crazy Italian drivers. It's the Australian drivers who are the crazy ones - no doubt at all.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:45 pm

The first part, I did ride out wide. At least in the left wheel track. Hate that road.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:51 pm

Yep. But if they are cutting you up close ride wider still. Use a rear-view mirror and watch for tricky situations. Stay wide until they slow down, then move over to allow an easier pass.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:54 pm

I have a bike eye but cars fly along there (80) zone I kid you not. Not sure I want to be rear ended by some numpty. I'll give it a go tomorrow.
Cheers

cubepeloton

Postby cubepeloton » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:34 am

subscribe
2012 Cube Peloton Race

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:32 am

A couple from the last two days.

Red light runner (surprise surprise a motor vehicle not a bicycle). Sadly can't read the rego number.

Impatient Toyota who doesn't like being behind a bike that chooses not to ride in the door zone.

Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

cubepeloton

Postby cubepeloton » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:58 pm

Boognoss wrote:A couple from the last two days.

Red light runner (surprise surprise a motor vehicle not a bicycle). Sadly can't read the rego number.

Impatient Toyota who doesn't like being behind a bike that chooses not to ride in the door zone.
I'm pretty new to road cycling but for the second video, I thought the cyclist is meant to ride in the designated lane? Regarding the door zone, isn't the onus on the cyclist to be aware of possibilities of a door swinging out?
2012 Cube Peloton Race

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:11 pm

cubepeloton wrote:
Boognoss wrote:A couple from the last two days.

I'm pretty new to road cycling but for the second video, I thought the cyclist is meant to ride in the designated lane? Regarding the door zone, isn't the onus on the cyclist to be aware of possibilities of a door swinging out?
That isn't a "proper" bike lane with "Bike Lane Starts" and "Bike Lanes Ends" signs. Not sure of the precise legal wording but I don't think of such zones as "where practicable" to ride in precisely BECAUSE of the fact that the lane is narrower than a parked vehicles open door. I was managing/mitigating the risk of being doored by riding in the traffic lane because I've seen too many people fling there doors open in that location and plenty of others.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS