Relatively new Roadie - Gold Coast recommendations?

Lukas1

Relatively new Roadie - Gold Coast recommendations?

Postby Lukas1 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:46 am

Hi,

I've just arrived from the UK in the last 5 weeks and prior to coming over I was commuting to work on a hybrid and then borrowed a friends road bike to see if I liked it. It was a 56cm frame and I'm only 5'8 so not the most comfortable bike but I was pretty hooked, went out for 30km+ rides everyday. Had to hand the bike back a few weeks before I arrived and have now just bought a second hand Gitane Mach 1200 and would like some advise on some decent routes that avoid heavy traffic and traffic lights as they keep hindering my rides.

Also if anyone can recommend some good clubs to join in the area? My goals are at first to ride as part of a club and then possibly onto racing, I thrive off of competition so not overly fussed on TT but then do enjoy trying to beat times as well.

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Lukas.

foo on patrol

Re: Relatively new Roadie - Gold Coast recommendations?

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:42 pm

Gold Coast Cats is the one I know of. :)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:00 pm

I think GC Cats are your best bet, have numerous venues and their own track, website seems very active, I think it would be hard to go wrong joining them.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:10 pm

I will also add, that the calibre of rider there is very good, speaking of experience in racing at the the very top level. :wink:

Stephen Goodall, Scott Ramsey, Peter Lane and a few more, plus they have some very good organized rides. 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

DavidI

Postby DavidI » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:14 pm

foo on patrol wrote:I will also add, that the calibre of rider there is very good, speaking of experience in racing at the the very top level. :wink:

Stephen Goodall, Scott Ramsey, Peter Lane and a few more, plus they have some very good organized rides. 8)

Foo
There's also an occasional drop in , can't remember the name, Robbie Mc something, you can't miss him, short guy who speaks fluent Belgian :D

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:48 pm

Can we assume you have you found the Darren Smith cycle route yet ?

If not, the Southport to Coolangatta end of it is shown
on on bikely. It can be followed further north from Southport to Paradise Point, either off-road or on relatively low traffic roads.

Overall, the route is quite flat, but you can make up for that by going hard. The section from Burleigh Heads and across Tallebudgera
Creek can be hectic if you take the road, there's an "inland" option but its full of speed bumps, much steeper grades and rat-running cars/trucks make it even less fun.

If you're looking for more serious challenges, rides up the Currumbin Valley like Three Peaks Hinterland are popular. Best to try that sort of ride with a local to guide you.

There's loads of other routes on bikely around the Gold Coast see here

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia