Dodges Ferry Bakery Thursday Ride

master6

Re: Dodges Ferry Bakery Thursday Ride

Postby master6 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:21 pm

Paul B wrote:Tomorrow ??? Bakery at 9.00 ?? 8. 00 ?? Naturally, I will be back on the couch by 10.30 for the start of Bathurst :-)
I'm considering the following factors:-

Want to be home to see start at Bathurst
Cannot ride Monday
In view of foregoing, should ride tomorrow
Forecast is a bit dicky

Decision postponed until I arise in the morning. (sorry I am not more helpful) :oops:

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:07 pm

No problem... I'll be ready :-)

master6

Postby master6 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:00 am

I will be passing Bakery at 8am this morning.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:04 am

See you there :-)

master6

Postby master6 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:51 pm

Paul B wrote:See you there :-)
And he did :D

We rode the Delmore rd/Nugent rd course into Sorell, and back home through Lewisham to get a Strava lesson at Pauls' place before I strolled down the hill to home, and the start of the Bathurst event.

Rain started after lunch, and as I looked out the front window, mid heavy downpour, who should pedal past??

PaulB :D :D

LG

Postby LG » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:07 pm

master6 wrote:
LG wrote:in his wake

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D Oh LG :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Dont despair, we know the feeling.

Riding with PaulB has some similarity to our beach walks with our dog, Bill. We let Bill of the leash, and he goes like a bat out of hell and disappears from sight. We dont worry; we know he will come back soon, just like PaulB :D :D

Hope to see you on the bike soon; I will look at the map and see if we can come up with some "Dodges friendly" suggestions that venture your way. Do you ever have Thursday mornings free for riding?
Paul B has warned me about the pain you are able to inflict on others Master6, so I am wary... If you can manage to convince Paul that Carbon won't disintegrate on a relatively smooth dirt road ride, the route via Connelleys Marsh to Dunalley is a good one. Very seldom do I have Thursdays off work, but can swing a Friday morning every month or so.
Paul B wrote:Well I think 30km is a bit of an under estimation of the wind speed. At one stage my front wheel moved a couple of inches sideways across the road as one gust smashed into us. Descents that are normally travelled at 50Kmh + were taken cautiously at sub 20 kmh. It is crazy windy again today and as much as I was looking forward to a spin I am not going out in this. And yes, depite this the ride was enjoyable and it was great to have the company of LG.
Excuse my use of the nautical wind speed measure of knots (1 knot = 1.8km/hr), so I anticipate we were in an average 50km/hr wind with gusts...
LG = Low Gear

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:38 pm

A good chance of sunshine in Dodges tomorrow morning :D

What will Paul dictate tomorrow? :?

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:06 pm

Pain :-)

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:04 pm

And painful it was... in parts. Three participants braved the cyclonic conditions today, Anita, Master 6 and Paul B. Crazy, crazy wind, had to constantly be mindful to keep maximum weight over the front wheel to avoid being blown off the road. At times the headwinds were just full on. Typically though, there was barely a tailwind over the entire ride. Having said that, a very enjoyable ride indeed and a new distance record for the DFBTR of 60 kms :-) There was another 10ks on offer however it seems my dictatorial powers of persuasion were insufficient to convince Anita, who's legs had taken enough punishment for the day. So a pleasant coffee and conversation at the DFB to round off an overall most satisfying session on the bikes. It happens again next week and a few more riders would be a bonus :-)
Kudos to Anita for staying with the boys...

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:01 pm

Andrew T and Paul B lined up for the unofficial Saturday DFBTR and what a ride it was. Forget Strava, this was about getting to the end. Wind was probably even worse than the ride 2 days ago and at times was quite dangerous with gusts almost blowing my bike into oncoming traffic. So the route started with a warm up Quarry Rd loop, back through Carlton to Primrose Sands, over Sugarloaf Ridge, through Forcett, Lewisham, a loop around Carlton river, Park Beach and a pitstop at the DFB... 65kms done. Back on the bikes, Carlton River road, Primrose Sands, back along Carlton River rd to Dodges Ferry and a final lap around Quarry rd... 112 kms total and elevation gain of 1,800 meters. Felt a bit zombified when I got home but also pretty satisfied at having covered the distance. Average speed was a little disappointing but considering that much of the ride was into either head winds or cross winds, it's probably not so bad. So given the objective of the ride was a preparation run for the Tour de Norfie next sunday, I would say that the exercise yielded a positive result.

master6

Postby master6 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:29 pm

Well done Paul and Andrew. We drove over the causeway and had spray blowing over both lanes; would have blown a dog off a chain.....

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:18 pm

BOM say everything is "easing". Sounds good.

9.00.00am from the Bakery, to the Bakery. :D

redheeler

Postby redheeler » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:16 pm

Lets hope so. I'll be there if the weather permits. C'ya 9 am tomorrow.

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:25 am

redheeler wrote:Lets hope so. I'll be there if the weather permits. C'ya 9 am tomorrow.
At 8.24am it is not raining. I am getting ready. Raincoat coming with me :D

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:10 pm

DFBTR is a bike ride followed by good coffee........usually.

Today it was good coffee at 9.00.00am, followed by cycling at 9.52am. The ride to Primrose Sands was a tad breezy, with reports indicating gusts to 87kph. Sunny conditions were enjoyed, and 10.4C temperature proved that cold is no problem when wearing a skivvy, cycling shirt, wooly vest, and a raincoat. All very enjoyable.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:45 pm

Yes, the ride came close to being abandoned as the sky turned black and the rain resumed. An interlude of conversation and coffee saw an improvement in the conditions, well at least from the rain perspective, the wind was another story and it did cross my mind to call the ride off. However, like Shackleton and crew, we pressed on to cross 26 miles of mountains and glaciers, considered impassable, all but impassable to the irrepressible Master 6 and Paul B that is... you had to be there :-)
I should mention that Master 6 wore his rain jacket which the wind filled like a spinnaker, perhaps this was some stealth practice for a future Sydney to Hobart ??
So overall, a shortened session but enjoyable none the less.

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:13 pm

As this is a forum based on wheels, I will run my request for assistance:-

When not cycling, I spend some time on my Holden panel van restoration project. I am looking to beg, borrow, or steal a metal shaping device called an "English Wheel"

Can you point me at one please?

master6

Postby master6 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:07 am

Riding in the rain.

A few tips here:-

http://www.roadbikerider.com/top" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

redheeler

Postby redheeler » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:52 am

:) Hi guys, I didn't join you yesterday as I didn't fancy the Primrose circuit in the wind that was around, gusts of over 50 kms.
But I did head out at 8.45am, doing my Sorell & beyond circuit that escaped the strong winds, only catching them on the return run through Lewisham.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:07 am

master6 wrote:As this is a forum based on wheels, I will run my request for assistance:-

When not cycling, I spend some time on my Holden panel van restoration project. I am looking to beg, borrow, or steal a metal shaping device called an "English Wheel"

Can you point me at one please?
Is there a sheet metal workshop nearby? That's the only place you will find an English wheel. Cutting out the rust? Need to curve some panels do you? Mind you, they take some mastering, but you have the right name for it I guess.

You can probably buy one for about $500

Oh look - here's one on eBay for $235 with free postage too.

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

master6

Postby master6 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:25 pm

redheeler wrote::) Primrose circuit in the wind

It was "interesting".

We look forward to your company next week redheeler :D

master6

Postby master6 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:33 pm

RonK wrote:Cutting out the rust? Need to curve some panels do you?
You can probably buy one for about $500

Oh look - here's one on eBay for $235 with free postage too.

I have been looking at these chinese jobs on ebay and alibaba RonK. I am not sure how robust they are.

Ten years ago I did a vehicle restoration course at Eagle Farm Tafe. They had a big old english wheel with a massive cast iron frame, which could handle quite large panels. I am dreaming of finding one of these "real" wheels in someones back shed :D

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:32 pm

Another Thursday = another DFBTR :-) Though the riders failed to turn up today, as usual, Master 6 and Paul B were there and the decision was made to ride to ??? no prizes for guessing.... Primrose Sands :-) Unlike the RBWR, the ride here is at a more relaxed pace, works well if you are in recovery mode from some of the more demanding rides on offer. And that was the approach today, ride, conversation, with the odd effort. I put in an all out burst over the bridge heading back up to Carlton Rd and smashed my pb. The segment approaching Quarry Rd was done at a hard steady pace with me on the front and Master 6 seemingly attached permanently to my wheel... another loop around Carlton and that was it, 50ks done, 900ks for the month for me, and good coffee to finish off. Till next week and at least one more rider, with Dave, who wandered into the bakery committing for the next hit out.

redheeler

Postby redheeler » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:24 pm

Sorry guys, I was intending to join you but I had a hastily arranged lunch date with two girlfriends that I hadn't seen in quite a while. So I did my usual Sorell ride early and headed out to lunch. Hopefully next Thursday.

master6

Postby master6 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:00 am

redheeler wrote:lunch date with two girlfriends
Do your girlfriends have bicycles redheeler :D :?:

Bring them along next week; DFBTR needs more starters :D

Look forward to next Thursday