How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:26 pm

Wet weather gear fail coming home this arvo. Mighta been riding underwater for all the good it did. Hot shower was nice.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:48 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Wet weather gear fail coming home this arvo. Mighta been riding underwater for all the good it did. Hot shower was nice.
What let you down?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:56 pm

Booties and Rainlegs.

I'll forgive the Rainlegs because the wind was pushing the water at me from all over the place.

Normally the booties let some of what's running down me legs in but today the lower half of the shoes were soaked but the tops and socks were dry.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:11 pm

You run full mudguards don't you?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:35 pm

37 degrees when I left work this evening, dropping to a slightly more pleasant(!) 35 by the time I arrived home just after 7pm.

I'm glad I don't wear a backpack on the commute. It wasn't actually that uncomfortable.

HR was through the roof though after almost 2 weeks off thanks to the headcold. And I gotta learn to ease off on the flats... this roadbike just wants to get going!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:36 pm

almost did a gretaboy today - 90kms commuting for the day.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:01 pm

jasonc wrote:almost did a gretaboy today - 90kms commuting for the day.
Yer what??? have you moved to Gold Coast or just got lost :)
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:07 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Yer what??? have you moved to Gold Coast or just got lost :)
there was some circle work

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:19 am

singlespeedscott wrote:You run full mudguards don't you?
Yep.
London Boy 29/12/2011

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:00 am

Good work...

I also had a non-routine ride back home yesterday due to having to go past the kids' school, however, this reduced the distance for me....just as well, I suppose, a massive rain front was just passing over Melbourne...
Standard commute into the CBD this morning, nothing exciting to report.

Ausbike tomorrow...will swing by there, but sadly not by bike.

Happy Friday! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:22 am

legs are tired and sore. showing signs of a hard 4 weeks. 2 days off the bike will be appreciated. will see if i can organise a massage over the weekend. easy week next week before the brissy to gold coast ride on sunday 20th

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:51 pm

Have increased my commute from 3.7 to 16.4 k each way by doing a nice lap of a lake on the way recently. Did the old distance yesterday and it felt like I hadn't ridden anywhere. Nice to feel the benefits so quick.

Cheers,

Time

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:43 pm

Thursday - started the commute ride to the new job... Had all the cameras going... Rode without event all the way to work... only to realise I'd left the lens caps on both of the 808s for the whole trip so there was no footage. Oops.
Friday - since I'm starting earlier I seem to experience a lot more of people failing to leave the Hoddle St intersection clear. Lucky for me I ride a bike so don't get stuck like the cars do. :D

I tilted the nose of the saddle up as it was quite angled down... I probably titled it too much as it pressed on sensitive bits and they made themselves known. I've adjusted it down today so hopefully it'll be fine again on Monday.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:37 am

Shorter route back on Friday - needed to be home asap.
This morning started at 6C and light rain. Originally planned a quicker route into the Melbourne CBD, but 15 mins into the ride the clouds gave way to a bit of clear sky and I could see stars twinkling in the distance, so I switched back to my longer standard route in. Cleaned the bike yesterday, but may as well not have bothered...it's full of road grime again as the roads and paths were pretty well soaked.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Aaron.B

Postby Aaron.B » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:49 am

Easy ride to and from work last Thursday, after the calf cramps of Wednesday..

This morning's trip in was good. Got pushed from behind by a MTB, he was damn fast. Was right on my tail the whole way to QUT, where I assume he changed course.

It's good to have somebody to give you incentive to push harder, I think it normally works better when they're in front, because you're trying to keep up with them, but having this guy tail me the whole way in gave me some extra push as well :)
Last edited by Aaron.B on Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:53 am

definitely gusty in Brisbane this morning.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:52 am

jasonc wrote:definitely gusty in Brisbane this morning.
Another nice tail wind for you? ;). Fear not- it will be swinging to a NE at 15-25 knots at about two this afternoon, so another nice tailwind to blow you home... As per usual. :o

Yes, I had a strong headwind this morning, and will have again this afternoon... As per usual. ;)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:58 am

Comedian wrote:
jasonc wrote:definitely gusty in Brisbane this morning.
Another nice tail wind for you? ;). Fear not- it will be swinging to a NE at 15-25 knots at about two this afternoon, so another nice tailwind to blow you home... As per usual. :o

Yes, I had a strong headwind this morning, and will have again this afternoon... As per usual. ;)
but but but but
it was unpleasant on my tour-de-bridges

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:24 am

For an alleged tailwind it was all over the place this morning. Hate getting blown into the road by sidewinds! However, I have to say all the drivers I encountered this morning were excellent. No aggression, passing wide, and hanging back behind me as I approached roundabouts. Fantastic. If only every commute (or better yet, every ride!) was like this one. Thanks to those drivers this morning, love your work!
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:02 am

Monday morning: GoPro didn't turn on (ran out of battery Friday or something). But I now have the two 808s (one on the helmet and one as a rear-facing camera) and they seem to be doing a good job (although I haven't had to review footage yet). It was cold.

This morning there was the usual Hoddle Street blockage and only the right of the two lanes and the bikes got through. The cars really get on the horns when they realise they are going to miss another light sequence. :P

Ride to Work day tomorrow. I'll be at City Square in the morning eating as much food as I can... :P

Oh, and lots of glass in the bicycle lane on Elizabeth St, Richmond. My Refuse tyres seemed to do the job though. :)

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:12 am

Third commute day (two last week) since illness. Fitness is slowly returning but it just feels so damn good to be back on the bike that I have struggling to avoid pushing myself too far/hard. Planning to do it all again tomorrow for Ride to Work Day - provided I survive the return 30km journey home tonight! Nah, I WILL be fine.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:52 am

Spectactular morning over here in Perth- more fair weather cyclists awakening from hibernation (and overcooking it with grand CCR ambitions :roll: :roll: Generally they get put back in there place (after I get a good wheelsucking out of them :twisted: )

Ride2work day tommorrow- aiming to get there early.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:08 am

did a TW style multihop last night to "upgrade" my B2GC kit via BQ offices. wind was unpleasant but not the worst I've had
this morning I did a gretaboy type distance ride - looking at 100kms for the day commuting

ride to work day brekky - my mob will be at southbank

98octane

Postby 98octane » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:27 am

Aaron.B wrote:Easy ride to and from work last Thursday, after the calf cramps of Wednesday..

This morning's trip in was good. Got pushed from behind by a MTB, he was damn fast. Was right on my tail the whole way to QUT, where I assume he changed course.

It's good to have somebody to give you incentive to push harder, I think it normally works better when they're in front, because you're trying to keep up with them, but having this guy tail me the whole way in gave me some extra push as well :)
I agree. I overtook a guy going pretty fast on a MTB near the CBD. I sped up to drop him, but he stayed with me for over 10km. Turns out he lives in the next street over. He did well to keep up (AT) 35-40kph on the straighter sections with his knobbly tyres (although he admitted it's much easier when drafting).

This morning, I overtook another guy who then drafted me for about 5km. I dropped him up a hill. Then I got stuck behind a bunch of slower riders between Chapel St and Punt Rd on the MYT. Still got to work with an average speed of 32.5kph though, despite the traffic and wind.

I'll probably feel the pain of these CCR efforts in my legs by the end of week!

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:34 pm

CXCommuter wrote:Spectactular morning over here in Perth- more fair weather cyclists awakening from hibernation (and overcooking it with grand CCR ambitions :roll: :roll: Generally they get put back in there place (after I get a good wheelsucking out of them :twisted: )
Ride2work day tommorrow- aiming to get there early.
There place > Their place. You can't be a CCR enforcer without good grammar ;)

I was surprised to have a road bike with twin rear seat bottle cages following me at a cruisy pace on a flat sheltered section of PSP with no wind to hide from.
He had gear top to toe so may have started a lot earlier a long way back and having a rest, as he rode off to follow the next faster group after bunching at an intersection.

Perhaps a pre-Ride2Work trend, I've noticed what look like couples riding slower than average with female in front and male behind, or possibly not related to Ride2Work and is just male perverts who don't know when it's time to pass in good taste.

I haven't managed to find a V8 Range Rover Sport to drive to work for my own Drive2Work day, and the full cooked breakfast by the river at $25 seems like it a lot, so I'll re-visit the bakery (I ended the Friday weekly detour past it a couple months ago) a little go a bit further there.