your rain jacket when touring?

RonK

Re: your rain jacket when touring?

Postby RonK » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:55 am

sogood wrote:Got it. I agree, the lack of pit zip and back vent may be a bit straining for our warmer conditions.
If you mean Brisbane conditions, I think any of these jackets would be sweatsuits and you would quickly be wet anyway.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:45 am

RonK wrote:For warmer conditions (>10 degrees) I've been considering a Ground Effect Flash Gordon. It is made from Hydrofoil, which has the same breathability characteristics as eVent, but has removeable sleeves.
I really could not see how this would work for you, epsecially in Brisbane with the humidity. I have the old version of the Flash Gordon. OK for a short shower, but ride for more than half an hour or so in real rain and you'll get wet - probably mainly because of its small pit zips and silly elasticized wrists, but I also believe the old fabric is a good deal less breathable. It is not seam-sealed as well.

If you can now take your sleeves off then you just get wet arms (.....shoulders ....torso). Why would you need breathable fabric if you do this??
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

RonK

your rain jacket when touring?

Postby RonK » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:12 am

il padrone wrote:
RonK wrote:For warmer conditions (>10 degrees) I've been considering a Ground Effect Flash Gordon. It is made from Hydrofoil, which has the same breathability characteristics as eVent, but has removeable sleeves.
I really could not see how this would work for you, epsecially in Brisbane with the humidity. I have the old version of the Flash Gordon. OK for a short shower, but ride for more than half an hour or so in real rain and you'll get wet - probably mainly because of its small pit zips and silly elasticized wrists, but I also believe the old fabric is a good deal less breathable. It is not seam-sealed as well.

If you can now take your sleeves off then you just get wet arms (.....shoulders ....torso). Why would you need breathable fabric if you do this??
See my previous post - I don't wear a jacket in Brisbane (I don't go touring in Brisbane either, for that matter).

I wore a Jetson last year in EnZed in cold wind and light showers. It worked very well. I only added my shell jacket when the rain increased. Something similar with removable sleeves should be even more versatile.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:03 am

On the breathability front. Do all know that these membraned clothing need to be washed regularly to maintain their performance, ideally with purpose detergent? I further understand that eVent is more susceptible to these contamination and should be washed more regularly than Gortex. Without washing for an extended period, it would lose its water repellency as well as breathability.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:41 am

sogood wrote:On the breathability front. Do all know that these membraned clothing need to be washed regularly to maintain their performance, ideally with purpose detergent? I further understand that eVent is more susceptible to these contamination and should be washed more regularly than Gortex. Without washing for an extended period, it would lose its water repellency as well as breathability.
Yes, I've used hard shell jackets made of these fabrics for years. That is kinda misleading - what does washed regularly mean? Each time it is worn, like a shirt? Once a week? Month? Year?

I treat my eVent cycling jacket like I treat my hardshell and softshell trekking gear - and any other jacket for that matter. I wash and tumble dry it when it gets grubby or smelly.

Some of my jackets have been so well-used the seam sealing tape has fallen off, but I've never needed to re-apply the DWR treatment to any of them.

It's really not a big deal...

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:02 pm

In the outdoor circle, many advocate a wash after each hard walk due to accumulation of sweat, body oil, dirt, especially eVent membrane. Tailor that to our specific and comparable cycling situation. I understand that it's too late to wait for it to get visibly dirty. DWR coating can also be rejuvenated through a cloth dryer.

I was surprised by this knowledge but can see the basis of their advice.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:37 pm

sogood wrote:Tailor that to our specific and comparable cycling situation.
To me, that generally means after each trek or bike tour of about a months duration. Sure it's easy enough to do at home, but convenient facilities are not always available on the road or trekking route.

On some trips I've hardly used a shell, on others (such as last year in EnZed) I wore it nearly every day, and definitely felt it was due for a wash when I got home.

jemo27

Postby jemo27 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:02 pm

Anyone brought a shower pass elite from Originality Uniforms? Or have you gone overseas. Price is the same before worrying about exchange rate.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:01 pm

jemo27 wrote:Anyone brought a shower pass elite from Originality Uniforms? Or have you gone overseas. Price is the same before worrying about exchange rate.
Brought directly from Showers Pass both times. Originality Uniforms never bothered to reply to an email inquiry plus was never sure if they had stock. If they cannot be bothered replying that tells me they are happy to not have my money.

Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:34 pm

jemo27 wrote:Anyone brought a shower pass elite from Originality Uniforms? Or have you gone overseas. Price is the same before worrying about exchange rate.
No it's not. Originality are selling the superceded Elite 2.0 for $AUD235. Showers Pass have it for $US150. Or the Elite 2.1 for $US 245.

jemo27

Postby jemo27 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:34 am

Anyone tried the shower pass touring jacket?
From what I have read it is lighter than the Elite?

Phil

Postby Phil » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:08 pm

I have the Showers Pass Elite 2.0. Brilliant. Used it Mountain biking a few weeks back from Mundaring to Jarrahdale where it drizzled down all day - at the end of the ride I was the only one that wasn't wet from either rain or sweat.

When I replace it I will probably look at this one. http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/wpb_jacket.shtml

Based upon the test for the material (read it but cant find link now), and the quality of the construction of the Arc Blast Pack and Hexamid tarp shelter I bought from them. Along with a heap of cuben fiber drybags.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:17 pm

Phil wrote:When I replace it I will probably look at this one. http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/wpb_jacket.shtml

Based upon the test for the material (read it but cant find link now), and the quality of the construction of the Arc Blast Pack and Hexamid tarp shelter I bought from them. Along with a heap of cuben fiber drybags.
Thanks Phil for the heads-up ... that is an interesting combination of materials - Cuben fibre and eVent ....

I am also impressed that you have a Hexamid Tarp shelter ... seriously lightweight setup you have. Would love to hear of your experiences with it, particularly in rain ... maybe a mini report in the tent thread :)

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:50 pm

Sorry, I know nothing about Cuben fbre, but that has got to be the ugliest rainjacket I've yet seen. Looks like an old pyjama top :o :roll: And the colour - I do really like some sort of bright yellow or red for cycling use.

Hopefully they'll refine it somewhat.
Mandatory helmet law?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:24 pm

il padrone wrote:Sorry, I know nothing about Cuben fbre, but that has got to be the ugliest rainjacket I've yet seen. Looks like an old pyjama top :o :roll: And the colour - I do really like some sort of bright yellow or red for cycling use.
They are designed for ultra-light backpacking, not cycling hence doubt you will get bright colours. Not sure being fashion conscious is a high priority for ultra-lighters either :)

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:37 pm

Aushiker wrote:Not sure being fashion conscious is a high priority for ultra-lighters either :)
Yes, granted. I guess that is yet another reason the ultra-light approach is anathema to my way of travelling.

Not a 'fashion-conscious' rider, just like to look presentable in public :P
Mandatory helmet law?

jemo27

Postby jemo27 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:12 pm

I saw Mont's Hammerhead jacket today in Melbourne. Anyone used this jacket. It is clearly designed for cycling .
Was $450 odd dollars in the store I saw

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:26 pm

jemo27 wrote:I saw Mont's Hammerhead jacket today in Melbourne. Anyone used this jacket. It is clearly designed for cycling .
Was $450 odd dollars in the store I saw
Jeez, thats an eye-watering price. Showers Pass much better value...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:53 pm

I used to have a Mont Hammerhead, before I bought the Showerspass Elite 2.0.

Mont Hammerhead - weight 630g
Showerspass Elite 2.0 - weight 400g

I found it quite noticeable when I began wearing it.
Mandatory helmet law?

grasshopper

Postby grasshopper » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:24 am

Phil wrote:When I replace it I will probably look at this one. http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/wpb_jacket.shtml

I'm a fan too. I took a Zpacks sleeping bag, Multi-Pack and pillow/stuff sack on the ride back from Perth last year and I'm very happy with both products and service. I have a lovely rain jacket but at 415g I don't usually take it touring, so I'd look at Zpacks for damp trips.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:13 pm

I like the look of what Ground Effect offer but how do they compare to Showerspass? I prefer to pay more for durability & quality but if theres no need?
Last edited by Wingnut on Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

philmart

Postby philmart » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:19 pm

Anyone out there that sweats a truckload? I have several types of shells, goretex and e-vent and the like. However I usually end up wetter inside and it becomes a sauna even with the zippers strategically placed.

I just cannot find a rain jacket that allows me to ride dry.

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:45 pm

Sounds like you don't need a jacket, Phil. Armwarmers you can take off after a few minutes may be the go, and maybe a vest. :-)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:46 pm

That's the myth/misconception of waterproof/breathable fabrics at work. They are breathable, but they are not going to stop you sweating on a ride. Go ride up a hill-climb in a t-shirt. Do you sweat? Well then why do you think you would not sweat wearing a rainjacket?

The breathable bit is all about what happens when you stop working hard, stop riding and cool down. Non-breathable fabrics will leave you in a cold bucket of sweat, at risk of hypothermia on a cold day. Breathable fabrics allow you to dry out when you stop cycling/running/walking :idea:

BTW, if it's warm enough to be wearing short sleeves it's probably too warm to bother with a rainjacket - just get wet, and dry out when the rain stops. Breathable fabrics all work poorly against bare skin; much better when there is a wickng layer of clothing underneath them.

So, maybe reassess what you are expecting from a jacket.
Mandatory helmet law?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:59 pm

Wingnut wrote:I like the look of what Ground Effect offer but how do they compare to Showerspass? I prefer to pay more for durability & quality but if theres no need?
GE's jacket is a less breathable fabric than Showerspass Elite 2.1*. It has elasticised (closed) cuffs and fairly small pit-zips. On top of this, at $259 plus shipping it is nearly as expensive as the Showerspass. If cost is an issue then get the Showerspass Double Century EX for $160. A friend of mine bought that as he is a bit of a larger bloke and the Elite 2.1 is a fairly trim cut. He is very happy with it.

* The eVent fabric is pretty much the premium waterproof/breathable fabric on the market. Very highly rated.
Mandatory helmet law?