Noisy shoes

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Noisy shoes

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:57 pm

OK so I have a problem (well, I have many if you ask GLW but thats another matter :twisted: ). I have a pair of Shimano RO85 Road shoes that are making a noise. This noise irritates me to the point of riding barefoot. I know whats causing it, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to shut it up.

I'm running Speedplay cleats with the adaptor plate for 3 bolt SPD-SL. As per the pic below, these shoes also have the ability to run another (2 bolt) mount system, im guessing SPD or Time. Problem is, the threaded plates for the bolts on the 2 bolt system move up and down the channels, and therefore rattle loud enough that I can hear it while riding. Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the speedplay cleat with no luck. For some reason, its only one shoe that does it. Can someone help me out before I throw out a brand new pair of shoes in frustration :?:

master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

familyguy

Re: Noisy shoes

Postby familyguy » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:09 pm

Remove inner soles. Put tape of choice over plates. Replace inner soles. You may even be able to remove the plates (I could in my shimano MTB shoes).

Jim

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:25 pm

Ta, didnt even think about approaching from the other side. Will give that a shot.

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:04 pm

Yep, lift the insoles out and you'll be able to pull the other mount plates straight out.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:24 pm

familyguy wrote:Remove inner soles. Put tape of choice over plates. Replace inner soles. You may even be able to remove the plates (I could in my shimano MTB shoes).

Jim
So that's what the noise is?? :shock: My SIDI shoes have been driving me mad with that rattling noise!

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:55 am

OK so only had time for a quick look this morning. Inner sole comes out easy. Theres another layer under that still preventing me from accessing the mounts which seems to be stuck pretty firmly in place. Might try and have a dig around in it again tonight but it didnt seem like it wanted to move any time soon. Not really keen on busting my shoes 5 days before ATB so might just have to put up with it on Sunday then tackle them next week :(
g-boaf wrote:
familyguy wrote:Remove inner soles. Put tape of choice over plates. Replace inner soles. You may even be able to remove the plates (I could in my shimano MTB shoes).

Jim
So that's what the noise is?? :shock: My SIDI shoes have been driving me mad with that rattling noise!
Infuriating, isnt it!

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:21 am

Would a bit of silicon or glue stope them rattling if you cannot access them and never intending to use these bolts?

BTW my right hand only Mavic MTB shoes (SPDs) squeak as they rub on the cheap SPD pedals on my commuter, drives me insane, they do it also on my better pedals just not as much.

Solution- Grease slathered over the pedals- yes the elegant solution.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:32 am

CXCommuter wrote:Would a bit of silicon or glue stope them rattling if you cannot access them and never intending to use these bolts?
That was my next option if I couldnt find a better way courtesy of the shed. Would prefer to avoid glue but I think I might have a tube of silicon around somewhere.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:25 am

im_no_pro wrote:
CXCommuter wrote:Would a bit of silicon or glue stope them rattling if you cannot access them and never intending to use these bolts?
That was my next option if I couldnt find a better way courtesy of the shed. Would prefer to avoid glue but I think I might have a tube of silicon around somewhere.
This will work, use hot melt if available. Easy to place accurately and will hold them nicely. Yes, you will have to pull the speedplay cleats to do it.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:36 am

im_no_pro wrote:Infuriating, isnt it!
Yes indeed - click click click click click when I'm walking to the bike. :evil:

I was getting rather tired of those SIDI shoes as well. Expensive junk with the most infuriating rotary ratchet system to tighten them. In any kind of bad weather, the ratchets would get jammed - unless you want to wear covers over them. Let's just say when they are up for replacement, they will NOT be on the shopping list.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:09 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
im_no_pro wrote:
This will work, use hot melt if available. Easy to place accurately and will hold them nicely. Yes, you will have to pull the speedplay cleats to do it.
Good idea, pretty sure GLW has hot melt in the scrapbooking kit somewhere, might give that a rip tonight.

ProCelebrityGolf

Postby ProCelebrityGolf » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:36 pm

Years ago the instruction manual that came with shimano shoes gave you directions regarding how to use a stanley knife to cut the cardboard sole of the shoe to access this metal plate if you were using other clipless systems - it sounds like this doesn't happen anymore (?)

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:07 am

ProCelebrityGolf wrote:Years ago the instruction manual that came with shimano shoes gave you directions regarding how to use a stanley knife to cut the cardboard sole of the shoe to access this metal plate if you were using other clipless systems - it sounds like this doesn't happen anymore (?)
Not sure, I still have the box + paperwork so will have a look. Tube of black silicon did the job though, 135km around the bay course completed with no rattles :!: 8)