One night camping?

nitestick

One night camping?

Postby nitestick » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:31 pm

Hi BNA,

I've recently got into cycling on my road bike and now I'm looking to take it on an overnight trip. I'm based in Perth and looking to find a good place to stay overnight that's say 50-100km away, if necessary I can use the train lines to boost range and go to Armadale/Clarkson/Mandurah. Anyone know some good places to go?

Thanks in advance.

moosterbounce

Re: One night camping?

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:48 pm

Mandurah has lots of accommodation options and a good path to get there, albeit a bit boring. Some members will know details of back roads if you want the scenic route. The hills could be an option too with a b&b.

Sorry I can't help...I only holiday in places with big fish (my next holiday includes a white pointer cage dive :) )..

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:02 pm

Lake Leschenaultia just out of Chidlow is a good distance and a nice camping spot. You can take plenty of good backstreets to enjoy to bush on the way up (through Darlington, Glen Forrest).

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:22 pm

Red Rider wrote:You can take plenty of good backstreets ....
Thanks -I've been looking for sub-24hour camping trips that don't involve fighting main road traffic. Don't mind a little limestone/bauxite track (but soft sand is another story).
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:47 pm

Red Rider wrote:Lake Leschenaultia just out of Chidlow is a good distance and a nice camping spot. You can take plenty of good backstreets to enjoy to bush on the way up (through Darlington, Glen Forrest).
+1 Only popped into L. Leschenaultia a couple of times - but it is a beautiful spot. Not too far from civilization if you're nervous. There's a quite a few Audax routes locally that go close by, all sealed quiet back roads. Park Rd through JFNP is a nice dawdle, though you will have to do a small stretch on GE Highway at the very least.

Though if you're on 35mm+ tyres, the railway reserve trail & portions of the Kep track shouldn't be too bad.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:49 pm

You could probably ride into the Wungong Campsite on the Munda Biddi if you have reasonably wide tyres (say 28 mm +). Just stick to the road until you have pick up the Munda Biddi for the last few kilometres.

Andrew

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:59 am

Thanks for the video Aushiker, looks really good, and secluded!

Roobar

Postby Roobar » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:00 am

waroona has a daily train, then up to dwellingup (use the cyclosportif route as a guide), camp the night at Lane Pool, then down del park road to Armadale via SW highway

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:05 am

Roobar wrote:waroona has a daily train, then up to dwellingup (use the cyclosportif route as a guide), camp the night at Lane Pool, then down del park road to Armadale via SW highway
Edit: On the Australind service, bicycles and surfboards can only be loaded and unloaded at Perth City and Bunbury stations, due to safety regulations.

Andrew

jlh

Postby jlh » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:47 am

Mandurah to bunny is about 100 kays, don't know if there is a 'quiet' route though

GingaNinja

Postby GingaNinja » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:01 pm

You should try out a Cycle Touring Association ride, a great overnight ride in 2-3 Nov toToodyay.
http://ctawa.asn.au/ctawa/node/473
A good group of people to ride with, at a decent touring pace, and a well led tour it is sure to be!

nitestick

Postby nitestick » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:57 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys! Lake Leschenaultia looks like a good place for a start, especially with early trials of my trailer. Aushiker; thanks for the useful info re: the Australind, I had thought about using it to extend range but didn't realise I could only unload a bike at Bunbury. The touring association definitely sounds like it's worth checking out. As for Waroona, I remember enjoying the town some 12-14 years ago, might be worth a ride from Mandurah :).

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:57 pm

Another recommendation for LL, I heard about it from a scouts guy a while ago but don't think I've ever been.
Lake Leschenaultia - near Chidlow.
Rosedale Road
Chidlow WA 6556
(08) 9572 4248

They have hire canoes, cycle trails, and good camping facilities.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:58 pm

Roobar wrote:waroona has a daily train, then up to dwellingup (use the cyclosportif route as a guide), camp the night at Lane Pool, then down del park road to Armadale via SW highway

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Yep - Lane Pool is great - A big park with lots of choice of where. Take own fresh water though or be prepared to boil it. The rangers will come aroudn and collect a daily fee sometime - $6.50 a night last time I know of.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle