BB Fail, Scott Foil 40 1800k's!

Wakatuki

BB Fail, Scott Foil 40 1800k's!

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:54 am

Hi guys,
Had my BB seize during a ride today, it was fine one minute, then creak, creak, creak at first I thought it was the rear hub failing as the bike got harder to pedal (I've had that happen before) then suddenly whilst feeling, listening and looking for the noise my cadence was stopped!

Reading about the SM-BB7141 reports of failure are quiet common, I am struggling to pin down if this is just to be a twice yearly service replacement or are there any stronger ones out there?

Bike is one year old in December and it has been serviced for its first free on and was due to go in again soon.
It is washed by hand with car wash,n,wax and hosed down (no nozzle) it has seen some rain riding but not a lot. The chain and RD are lubed with BIKE MILK and the gunk cleared from the chain, cassette and RD guide (jockey) wheels weekly. I have degreased twice and always with the bike leaning slightly to the right to avoid any getting into the BB.

Any thoughts or experience, or just put up and shut up :D as these things happen!

AndrewBurns

Re: BB Fail, Scott Foil 40 1800k's!

Postby AndrewBurns » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:17 am

1800km from a BB is appalling, you should be getting an order of magniture more than that, I have multiples of that on my BB's so far and never touch them.

pawnii

Postby pawnii » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:21 am

Sounds like the compression cap on the crank was installed on too tight causing too much lateral force on your BB bearings. Very common error....or you're just really unlucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
yes, I'm an overweight weight weenie
2012 Scott Foil Premium

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:41 am

Personally I consider BB bearings a highly consumable part and never expect much out of them.
It doesn't take much water to kill them. I found that out when I used to wash my bike frequently with a hose. A no-no. Give it a wipe down instead.
Oh, how would one service a sealed bearing anyway?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:45 am

pawnii wrote:Sounds like the compression cap on the crank was installed on too tight causing too much lateral force on your BB bearings. Very common error....or you're just really unlucky.

Heard of this too but it should be noticeable with stiff rotation when hand turning the crank when applying lube. :?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:49 am

Crawf wrote:Personally I consider BB bearings a highly consumable part and never expect much out of them.
It doesn't take much water to kill them. I found that out when I used to wash my bike frequently with a hose. A no-no. Give it a wipe down instead.
Apparently The Choob has videos showing how to do it but that's with HTII screw ins not PF. I agree with the consumable comment with modern systems. Spares are cheap, I have a DA HTII unit on my commuter because it was only ~$7- more than Tiagra at the time.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

pawnii

Postby pawnii » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:51 am

Crawf wrote: Oh, how would one service a sealed bearing anyway?
You wouldn't. IMO

yes, I'm an overweight weight weenie
2012 Scott Foil Premium

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:13 am

pawnii wrote:
Crawf wrote: Oh, how would one service a sealed bearing anyway?
You wouldn't. IMO

My point exactly ;)

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:14 am

Ah, Press Fit bottom brackets failing prematurely, Who would have thought? My Ultegra 6700 threaded bottom bracket has 18,000km on it and going strong. I believe that if the fit isn't perfect then the bearings are side loaded and damaged.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:02 pm

Yup, thought so, looks like a put up situation!
LBS said would look at repack... I told them to call me when it's all apart to discuss.
Am I right that I could buy a higher spec model or is it all generic OEM?

It was all super free until today, I have been really happy with the bike and the 105 shifting and how the bike has been rewarding me when I put the effort in.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:25 pm

Less than a year old and 1800km? Surely there should be warranty cover for that?

No way I would consider it fit for purpose.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:37 pm

biker jk wrote:Ah, Press Fit bottom brackets failing prematurely, Who would have thought? My Ultegra 6700 threaded bottom bracket has 18,000km on it and going strong. I believe that if the fit isn't perfect then the bearings are side loaded and damaged.
The greatest potential source of failure in PF BBs is how close to spec the frame manufacturers make the hole in the frame. If that's out of whack, you will never have a good service life, even from the best BB.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:15 am

Crawf wrote:Personally I consider BB bearings a highly consumable part and never expect much out of them.
You can service sealed BB bearings, pop the cover off with a pick and re-pack with fresh grease. The trick is to be careful not to damage the seal.

Bottom brackets only last me about 6-8000kms. Fortunately I spec all my bikes as english threaded type so they are quite simple to replace with basic tools.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:58 pm

Update for you all.
It wasn't the BB :D It was the integrated chain stay the part had come loose to the point where it had unwound and was pushing against the crank.
The first and only time the dropper has been used was only the day before when I somehow inside chain dropped, maybe me rotating it a couple of times try to get the chain back on resulted in its loosening followed the flipping traffic calming bumps on the followings days ride.
It's the round plastic bit, under the front derailleur mount. Replaced and Loctite used to keep secure, hopefully!
Anyway while it was in bits they did a regrease of it anyway, as described above by Jacks.
Might be worth checking this part if you have a FOIL too.
Last edited by Wakatuki on Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:38 pm

Hmm, interesting and good to know that it was a minor thing in the end. In other news - geez those Foils are grouse looking rigs!

Cheers and keep them pedals spinning!
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL