Kid Carbine Rumours

MountGower

Kid Carbine Rumours

Postby MountGower » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:26 pm

G'day Everyone

I'm sure we all noticed recently that Kid Carbine has returned to regular posting after a short absence.

I heard that he loved his Repco so much that he couldn't get off the thing when he started riding it. I heard that he went for a test ride one day and simply kept heading out of town and went on a little Repco tour, sleeping under the stars with his trust Repco nestled closely beside him.

Who could blame him. Once that baby was all shiny and polished up it would have been almost impossible to dismount once he was up and rolling.

Here is a picture of his new favourite:

Where else could he have been?

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:53 pm

I heard that Masi contacted the kid to help design a range of functional, stylish bikes using KC's worldly experiences. KC was drafted into a third party agency to remain anonymous, but you can tell the workmanship and attention to detail as a hallmark of KC's usual fare.

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:08 pm

did anyone notice it kinda coincided with the tdf?
:)

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:13 pm

Ahhh, so good to know I was missed, but sadly, the rumors about a clandestine affair with my Repco are baseless. It sits all alone in the workshop still, awaiting its turn on the workstand while other projects get priority.

The Repco will probably end up undergoing a restoration when I have little else to do which might be sometime this year, ... perhaps.

Since you seem to be so obsessed with it, why not make me a serious offer that reflects its true value to you. Make me an offer I can't refuse & I'll even deliver it when next I come to Melbourne.

You can post your genuine & serious offer here so that we all know just how highly valued they are. Frankly, I'd love to know.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:33 pm

There was a Repco Traveller at the Knox Recycle Shop today. Don't know how much it'd be, but I bought a similar era/ specced MS from there a few months ago for $4 (just for the aero levers - tossed the rest)!

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:28 pm

hmmm, Repco, I guess if you shout me a coffee Ill look at it.... but thats about all :)
Roger

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:15 pm

Maybe he was responsible for http://bikehugger.com/2008/07/2009_bian ... tro_at.htm

Replace the fork and I'm all over this. The only carbon I want is bonded to Fe.

David

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:20 pm

Too big for me Kid, pity. Reckon I could sneak her in under the radar.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

daacha

Postby daacha » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:28 pm

Kid i'd probably give you a very good price for her but only so i could sneak a look at the other bikes in the shed. :wink:

cludence

Postby cludence » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:34 pm

Sorry Daacha, whilst Kid was out riding his repco, I snuck in the shed.

Sadly the shed was empty.

Karen.

daacha

Postby daacha » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:49 am

Karen with the way you collect bikes, you should be barred from all sheds. :lol:

cludence

Postby cludence » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:22 am

Daacha,

Yes I should be barred from all sheds as I am currently in need of a larger space to put everyting. Yesterday I picked up one which had been sitting in the owners garage since the 40's when he used to ride it to work. Fixed gear, unknown brand but apart from the front wheel needing a true, it is rideable. It wont be staying here though. It will end up going to a home where someone can ride and appreciate it. Cant keep them all to myself.

Karen.

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:11 am

Hmmmm, looks like somebody has suddenly gone quiet, seemingly not ready to put his money where his mouth is, .... or does the absence of a sensible offer suggest that he thinks that Repco's are worthless.
Surely not, but then again ..........

With all the praises heaped on these bikes, surely they are worth a Kings ransom, well, all right then, a Princes ransom & I'd rather it go to someone who values it highly, so lets see if the rumor monger steps up to the plate or comes back with some feeble excuse. After all, he gets first dibs.

cludence

Postby cludence » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:17 pm

The rumours are all untrue. I discovered the truth today. :idea:

Kid Carbine has been in secret training for next weekend's ride at Homebush. He was last seen riding around Parramatta Park this morning at 10am. For an old bugger, he did ok too. He did 10 laps of the park and managed to stay upright. :shock:

So, last seen riding a green 80's road bike which looked suspiciously like a Retro.

Or was that a Repco? :roll:

Karen.

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:50 am

Dang, ... your spies have tracked me down.
I was riding the unbranded Retro in an attempt to keep under the radar & to see if I could still stay upright.
Actually, the Retro was another roadside rescue bike that had been provided by a very kind benefactor that very morning & I had started to sort it out only an hour or so before I rode it.
I fixed a puncture, replaced the pedals with normal quill types & gave it a quick wash then off & away.

The seat needed adjusting a couple of times to get it right & the Campagnolo derailleurs were silky smooth, however the Modolo brakes would benefit from some cleaning & adjustment.

I thought I didn't do too badly when you remember that I haven't riden more than half a K in the last 25 years or so, but my legs felt funny for the next half a day.
A change of headstem, adjust the bars & it will be a nice ride, .... for a Retro.

M.G's offer of zero dollars for my Repco seems to reflect his opinion of the value of his beloved & much touted brand. So sad.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:37 am

You know you'd never sell it. Anyway, no self respecting Repcophile would take a legends only Repco off him. Kid Carbine cruising the southern highlands on such a steed adds credability to the brand. That bike is yours for life. Admit your love and submit to the greatness of it.

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:45 am

Kid_Carbine wrote: so lets see if the rumor monger steps up to the plate or comes back with some feeble excuse.
Yeah, I thought so.