Online Purchases - good and bad experiences

Wingnut

Re: Online Purchases - good and bad experiences

Postby Wingnut » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:07 am

Have to say I'm pretty happy with my first purchase from Bike Bug, Campagnolo crankset arrived within two days...I'll use them again...

defy1

Postby defy1 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:50 am

Bought a couple of jerseys from the new cyclingexpress website. All in all, a relatively painless experience, although my only gripe you get no invoice, or email notification or any indication of the status of your order unless you login into your account on their website.
But it did get to my door in 5 business days, and it seems delivered from Taiwain.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:14 pm

defy1 wrote:Bought a couple of jerseys from the new cyclingexpress website. All in all, a relatively painless experience, although my only gripe you get no invoice, or email notification or any indication of the status of your order unless you login into your account on their website.
But it did get to my door in 5 business days, and it seems delivered from Taiwain.
I had my CE order previously mentuoned rock up this morning. Ordered thursday afternoon delivered by 10am Monday. Pretty happy with that. I got emails when my order was submitted and again when it was despatched. I paid the extra $10 for trackable delivery though.

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 4
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:24 pm

I got the confirmation and shipped emails from CE, free post option.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:26 pm

Wingnut wrote:Have to say I'm pretty happy with my first purchase from Bike Bug, Campagnolo crankset arrived within two days...I'll use them again...
Just checked their prices. There nothing flash. Certainly not good enough to warrant me buying anything for them.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:56 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
Wingnut wrote:Have to say I'm pretty happy with my first purchase from Bike Bug, Campagnolo crankset arrived within two days...I'll use them again...
Just checked their prices. There nothing flash. Certainly not good enough to warrant me buying anything for them.
Selle SMP saddles are cheap at Bike Bug. Some models are 'only' $199. They also have a special on lights right now.

Wingnut

Online Purchases - good and bad experiences

Postby Wingnut » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:41 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
I bought a set of Super Record cranks cheaper than I could get at Wiggle or Ribble...worth it for me...their Time pedals aren't too bad either.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:01 pm

Bought a headset off EvansCycles. Finally arrived 2 weeks after shipping. Opened up the parcel to find the container for the headset has been tampered with. Get home and measure the 2 crown races to find they are both 26.4mm not the 26.4mm & the 27.0mm crown races it was supposed to ship with. Someone at Evans has played swap the crown race and it was a 27mm crown race I needed

NOT HAPPY EVANS

Edit

Good news. Evans have come back to the party promptly and are refunding me the full cost for the headset and I get to keep this current one as well. They confirmed that there was a supplier error and this batch was sent out with 2 x 26.4mm crown races instead of the 26.4mm & 27.0mm crown race. Now time for me to source a LBS that can reduce my steerer crown race to 26.4mm from 27.0mm on a 1" fork. Or find a 27mm 1inch crown race for threadless headsets
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

hudnut

Postby hudnut » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:11 pm

Ordered a Powertap G3 Alloy wheelset from this link is broken.au.
Being shipped from the UK.

With the Exchange rate, price was $1065.50
I paid an extra $21.44 for 4 day delivery via Courier.

In the past, stuff that is just over the $1K may or may not attract duty, GST etc.

Courier turns out to be DHL.

Reading around, DHL are notorious for adding charges etc.
I don't know how the process works and what government charges are.

However, I ordered last Sunday. Tracking info said Customs had processed it yesterday morning at 0615, and it was waiting for payment (I assumed for duty etc).
No-one called me, I just followed it up via phone.

Duty, Customs fee , GST and DHL processing fee was $206.10.
I had to pay via Visa.

Because I had to follow it up, no 4 day delivery.
Because I'm getting it delivered to work, no wheels for the weekend. :(
If I hadn't followed it up, who knows when I would have been called and how long it would take?

No after fees etc, Cost is actually now $1293,ish with currency conversion fees to come.
I'd probably get them with not too much difference in shipping time without choosing the courier option, may have avoided customs and definitely would have avoided DHL customs processing fees.

We live and learn. There are extra courier fees the courier may charge to get stuff through customs, on top of the shipping fee charged by Wiggle to choose the courier option.

apey75

Postby apey75 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:37 am

Ordered a few bits and pieces for my old MTB from Chain Reaction Cycles. Shipping was free (> $90) and was done via DHL. Ordered on Tuesday. Parts arrived on Friday morning. 8)

Received an extra tube of grease!

Couldn't be happier! :D

Friday, October 11, 2013 Location Time
17 Delivered - Signed for by : ADAM MELBOURNE 09:10

16 With delivery courier MELBOURNE - AUSTRALIA 07:35

15 Arrived at Delivery Facility in MELBOURNE - AUSTRALIA MELBOURNE - AUSTRALIA 05:02

14 Departed Facility in MELBOURNE - AUSTRALIA MELBOURNE - AUSTRALIA 03:03

13 Processed at MELBOURNE - AUSTRALIA MELBOURNE - AUSTRALIA 03:03

Thursday, October 10, 2013 Location Time
12 Arrived at Sort Facility MELBOURNE - AUSTRALIA MELBOURNE - AUSTRALIA 23:23

11 Clearance processing complete at MELBOURNE - AUSTRALIA MELBOURNE - AUSTRALIA 23:16

10 Customs status updated MELBOURNE - AUSTRALIA 17:05

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 Location Time
9 Departed Facility in LONDON-HEATHROW - UK LONDON-HEATHROW - UK 07:26

8 Transferred through LONDON-HEATHROW - UK LONDON-HEATHROW - UK 07:25

7 Arrived at Sort Facility LONDON-HEATHROW - UK LONDON-HEATHROW - UK 05:59

6 Departed Facility in EAST MIDLANDS - UK EAST MIDLANDS - UK 03:20

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 Location Time
5 Processed at EAST MIDLANDS - UK EAST MIDLANDS - UK 22:19

4 Arrived at Sort Facility EAST MIDLANDS - UK EAST MIDLANDS - UK 21:51

3 Departed Facility in BELFAST - UK BELFAST - UK 20:28

2 Processed at BELFAST - UK BELFAST - UK 16:37

1 Shipment picked up BELFAST - UK 08:53

Mickzo

Postby Mickzo » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:31 pm

Fantastic shopping experience from Bikebug. Ordered some parts on Thursday. Shipped that same day and couriers have delivered it to the wrong address on Friday afternoon.

Rang Bikebug this morning and they advised that if they don't get a response from the courier (startrack express) by COB today, they'll ship out replacement parts to me straight away.

Rex

Postby Rex » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:31 am

Nice and quick Cycling Express order.... ordered Wednesday night arrive Monday to Perth.

defy1

Postby defy1 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:25 am

Is PBK always so slow?
Ordered and dispatched on 27th September and still haven't received it. Not ordering from UK based site again

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:38 am

defy1 wrote:Is PBK always so slow?
yes

on average, wiggle are the quickest followed by c r c

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:08 am

Ordered and dispatched on 27th September and still haven't received it. Not ordering from UK based site again
I had an order shipped from PBK the next day and still waiting. Never fussed as I always keep a supply of parts in stock and top up when required. Given the better prices, I have no issue if something takes a couple of weeks or more to arrive. That and my CX tubulars are only needed for next Winters CX season... :wink:

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:28 am

A couple of years back PBK was fast-ish and c r c were slow. I gradually found itself reversing that trend over the last 12-18 months. Wiggle for me always been 1 week to Perth , same as Merlin and Evans , Ribble closer to two weeks.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:13 pm

Bikebug: Refunded my purchase after I realised the item would void my frame warranty. Simple and easy return process. Will def buy from them again.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

boss

Postby boss » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:49 pm

dalai47 wrote:
I had an order shipped from PBK the next day and still waiting. Never fussed as I always keep a supply of parts in stock and top up when required. Given the better prices, I have no issue if something takes a couple of weeks or more to arrive. That and my CX tubulars are only needed for next Winters CX season... :wink:
MarkG wrote:A couple of years back PBK was fast-ish and c r c were slow. I gradually found itself reversing that trend over the last 12-18 months. Wiggle for me always been 1 week to Perth , same as Merlin and Evans , Ribble closer to two weeks.
Similar sentiments over here. Never made a successful order with PBK, not for lack of trying.

Wiggle is fastest, about 7 days to Adelaide. c r c is usually 10. Ribble is 14-21.

I used Merlin once and found them to be extremely slow (I think it was over 21 days) and used Evan's once a long time ago and they were around 10 days, but they just aren't on my shopping list nowadays.

If you need something ASAP just gotta go local.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:10 pm

Evans Cycles.

After Wiggle screwin me around on the price match, i found item i wanted $50 cheaper then Wiggle at Evans Cycles. $180 to $130

7/10 - Ordered
8/10 - Dispatched
16/10 - Arrived

Pretty happy with that, specially the savings of $50.

RadioDog

Postby RadioDog » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:15 pm

Wiggle have been pretty quick in the past but with my current order I chose the free delivery option.

Sent on the 1st October and still waiting for my parcel :P Apparently I have to wait 25 working days before I can flag a missing package :P So I'll have to wait until November 1 before they will do anything
"Having things organised is only for small minded people. The genius controls the chaos." - Jens Voigt

Chef

Postby Chef » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:12 pm

jaseyjase wrote:Evans Cycles.

After Wiggle screwin me around on the price match, i found item i wanted $50 cheaper then Wiggle at Evans Cycles. $180 to $130

7/10 - Ordered
8/10 - Dispatched
16/10 - Arrived

Pretty happy with that, specially the savings of $50.

Nice.

I always find Evans pricing good, but delivery slow

Latest order placed 03/10 - still waiting

As opposed to Wiggle, Merlin and Chain reaction orders placed on the same day and all delivered within one week

Cheers

CELL Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:16 pm

pentlandexile wrote:Great service from Cell. Ordered some bar tape last week, adhesive backing wouldn't come away cleanly, end result, tape wouldn't stick to bars. Contacted them on Saturday, they got back to me on Monday saying they'd send new tape, the tape arrived here (Brisbane) this afternoon. No questions asked, no return needed, now I'm ready to ride. Will definitely order from them again.
Hi pentlandexile, happy you were sorted out quickly. Thanks for the feedback.
-website mgr Mark
What do you think about our Sydney Bike Shop? Let me know! Help us improve!
http://www.this link is broken/contact-us

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:41 am

I know it probably happens all the time, but I found a set of as new Shimano SPD Pedals on eBay in Melbourne, "bought them now" and paid with Paypal and they were express posted the same day.

Arrived yesterday in as new condition and are now on my bike. Cheaper than everywhere except Wiggle.

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:45 pm

Ordered a pair of bib knocks from Velogear yesterday, turned up here half an hour ago. Happens time and again :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:49 pm

michael_w wrote:Ordered a pair of bib knocks from Velogear yesterday, turned up here half an hour ago. Happens time and again :)
that the same as bib knicks?