Protein powder?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Pedaling

Protein powder?

Postby Pedaling » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:29 pm

Hi All,
I am looking at buying some protein powder, and with so many on the market, I was wondering;
1. Which protein powder do you use and why?
2. How much powder do you use?
3. How often do you have protein shakes?
Thanks All,
Cheers,

Darrin.
"Life is just a ride" Bill Hicks
2012 C59 Colnago
2013 Giant TCR

geraldobeavis

Re: Protein powder?

Postby geraldobeavis » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:45 pm

I used to use dynamatise hydrolysed whey protein isolate, ISO 100. One scoop after exercise, used to be weightlifting but now regime mix of weights, cycling and yoga.

My dietician recommended switching to choc milk. Done that for a month. Tastes better. I think ais recommends choc milk.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

Giant Defy 2

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:51 pm

Giant Sports Delicious Protein or Gold Standard Whey by Optimum Nutrition.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:43 am

Musashi protein carb matrix I think its called, after a 40km commute. I have about a 250ml choc shake as per the instructions

Leiothrix

Postby Leiothrix » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:26 pm

I use Dymatize Elite Whey -- Rich Chocolate flavour.

This dissolves very easily and tastes nice.

No need for a shaker, just stir it with a teaspoon.

A lot of the protein powders either taste awful and/or are hard to mix.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:33 pm

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:03 pm

I got my first dose of protein powder just under 2 years ago now. I bought a huge bag of Optimum Nutrition's protein isolate. I have taken it after hard workouts both on the bike and in the weight room. I was finding my legs were sore all week with riding track and road racing and training 6 days a week. Since getting into the powder I found that the pain did not carry over into the next day unless it was a hard weights session. As I came to the end of my supply I started experimenting with different methods of getting my protein hit as I wanted to get away from the WPI. If you search around it gets a bit of bad press, especially when taken over extended periods. The best alternative I found was spirulina but it is absolutely ghastly to get down the throat, although it is hard to describe, but it really makes you feel better, not just give you a protein boost post workout. So now I'm onto trying pea protein. So far so good on that one. What you end up getting is completely up to you.

As for dosage, I had a group meeting with a nutritionist from the AIS and their findings at the time, as they were doing a study on the subject, was that the body didn't utilise any more than about 19g of protein post workout. This was irrespective of the athlete's size. I've suck to that philosophy and so far it's been working for me and also made my protein supply last a whole lot longer.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:08 am

Hi Brawlo - good luck with the pea protein... I thought it tasted foul- like chocolate flavoured peas soup!
My kids still joke about how bad it tasted!!
Andrew

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:34 am

Haha, go and try spirulina powder with water....... pea protein is like the best thing you've ever tried when compared to that!

Spirulina has approx 60% protein content and lots of other healthy side effects, it just tastes like swamp mud!

Ronin

Postby Ronin » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:07 pm

I've gone back to Max's, I used to use years ago when I trained heavy in the gym, now I use it after a hard bike ride or gym session. The soreness doesn't last as long. Max's is definitely the best tasting I have found, about $60 for 1 kg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:07 pm

geraldobeavis wrote:I used to use dynamatise hydrolysed whey protein isolate, ISO 100. One scoop after exercise, used to be weightlifting but now regime mix of weights, cycling and yoga.

My dietician recommended switching to choc milk. Done that for a month. Tastes better. I think ais recommends choc milk.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2
This ^^^^
Used to take protien shake post ride, now 500ml choc milk, no post ride downer, no acid, no cramps, no hunger till meal time.
Still take a USN 100% whey and a teaspoon of creatine if I feel muscle sore though.

Cul

Postby Cul » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:33 am

I use protein powder post ride on all rides except the Z1 type easy spins, I don't stick to any particular brand although the Vital Strength stuff has been my choice the last few times. I drink it with 300mm of milk and find the Vital Strength stuff seems to break down quiet well (some others remain clumpy). I try and get down about 35g of protein post ride.

Since I started taking protein post ride I've found I can back up big days much easier, the leg muscle soreness isn't as great; this works well for the way I tend to ride (4 hard days in a row, 2 easy days in a row, repeat)

Also during rides, if a ride is > 4 hours I will make sure I ingest some protein during the ride.
My Training & Racing Blog: http://mountainbikemediocrity.wordpress.com
Fuelled By: Pro4mance

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:32 am

The Brisbane AIS sports dietitians I use recommend for plant based eaters, SunWarrior brand raw vegan protein powder, chocolate flavored :)
but only if a main meal is >45 minutes away.

some more info from AIS
http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition ... -_how_much" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:52 am

I use whatever is cheapest, except I prefer to stay clear of Soy. Won't buy "made in China" anymore as there are questions over the product safety.

How much I consume and when depends entirely on my diet. If I've eaten at home, then I've nearly always had enough protein from the food I've prepared. Generally I'll consume it if I'm eating breakfast at work as due to no cooking facilities I'll make cereal and add protein powder to it to bring it up to around cooked breakfast quantities.

AIS has a guide on how much protein to consume
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:25 am

Use protein powders if you want to weigh more on the bike.
Don't use em if you want to weigh less.

Protein powder increases Insulin Growth Factor levels. High levels of IGF-1 have been linked to a host of conditions including cancer.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15562830" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Whey protein contains the highest levels of IGF-1. Plant protein powders don't contain it yet can stimulate more production of it. So if someone wanted to weigh more on the bike but wanted the least health consequences yes the science points towards the soy,oat, rice protein powders.

Ive cycled over 230 000km as a vegan, won 24hr solo xc races and can get top 10 on any big strava climb around. I don't use protein powders as I don't want the associated weight gain they provide.
Vegan since 2001.

Davidrnau

Postby Davidrnau » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:23 pm

durianrider wrote:Use protein powders if you want to weigh more on the bike.

Protein powder increases Insulin Growth Factor levels. High levels of IGF-1 have been linked to a host of conditions including cancer.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15562830" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Whey protein contains the highest levels of IGF-1. Plant protein powders don't contain it yet can stimulate more production of it. So if someone wanted to weigh more on the bike but wanted the least health consequences yes the science points towards the soy,oat, rice protein powders.

Ive cycled over 230 000km as a vegan, won 24hr solo xc races and can get top 10 on any big strava climb around. I don't use protein powders as I don't want the associated weight gain they provide.

Veganism has its pitfalls also, namely vitamin B12 deficiency, which has been associated as a potential cause of Alzheimer's disease (a form of dementia) and anaemia, B12 deficiency can also lead to permanent damage of the nervous system and brain.

David

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:37 pm

durianrider wrote:Protein powder increases Insulin Growth Factor levels. High levels of IGF-1 have been linked to a host of conditions including cancer.
True, saw a TV show with how it was linked to, increased reportings of male cancers in particular prostate cancer. I will work the grey stuff to see if I can remember the show.

Leiothrix

Postby Leiothrix » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:41 pm

Um, that's a calories in calories out kinda thing. Pretty much don't eat food if you want to weigh less.
Davidrnau wrote: Veganism has its pitfalls also, namely vitamin B12 deficiency, which has been associated as a potential cause of Alzheimer's disease (a form of dementia) and anaemia, B12 deficiency can also lead to permanent damage of the nervous system and brain.
Plus you miss out on bacon.

That is never good.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:57 pm

Id give up my bike ahead of bacon.....

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:09 pm

Davidrnau wrote:

Veganism has its pitfalls also, namely vitamin B12 deficiency, which has been associated as a potential cause of Alzheimer's disease (a form of dementia) and anaemia, B12 deficiency can also lead to permanent damage of the nervous system and brain.

David
Um, not sure if srs. ONLY vegans can get b12 deficient? Ive given over 100 b12 shots to my friends. Some are vegan, most are not. Some are models, overweight, runners, cyclists. I guess the massive rates of Alzheimers in Australia is due to the millions of vegans we have in Australia...I guess my Nan and Aunt are closet vegans and never told me. Maybe all that bacon and sausage they eat was just vegan stuff? Maybe they poured out the milk and filled it up with rice milk to trick us into thinking they at the Standard Australian Diet aka SAD diet.

B12 deficiency rates in the US- 39%. (Framingham study) Would be more if they use Japan's 550 minimum for b12 serum levels. 39% of the USA is vegan? LOL!
Vegan since 2001.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:16 pm

Leiothrix wrote:
Um, that's a calories in calories out kinda thing. Pretty much don't eat food if you want to weigh less.
Davidrnau wrote: Veganism has its pitfalls also, namely vitamin B12 deficiency, which has been associated as a potential cause of Alzheimer's disease (a form of dementia) and anaemia, B12 deficiency can also lead to permanent damage of the nervous system and brain.
Plus you miss out on bacon.

That is never good.
The people that eat bacon and other weight gain foods will of course have to eat less than people like myself that get to FEAST every meal and never have to worry about taking protein powders for fear of running into protein deficiency. I don't have to worry about weight gain cos I don't eat the weight gain foods. I don't have to worry about Alzheimers either cos my b12 levels always test really high (800+) and red meat is linked with brain damage according to this study.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... brain.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vegan since 2001.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:19 pm

World's most amusing thread. Been missing out on durianriders posts.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:09 am

MarkG wrote:World's most amusing thread. Been missing out on durianriders posts.
Car crash internet. Painful to watch but can't look away. I would find it more amusing if his "nutritional advice" wasn't so alarming.
<removed by request>

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:00 am

durianrider wrote:
Um, not sure if srs. ONLY vegans can get b12 deficient?
If you want to apply that (poor) logic then your earlier statement must surely mean that only people who take protein powder can get cancer? I'll give you points for enthusiasm and dedication to your argument, but thats about as much as you're getting from me.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:17 am

Too charitable...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011