First crash

Paul B

First crash

Postby Paul B » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:53 pm

Well I guess it was going to happen eventually and today was the day. Got caught in a random storm and though I approached a sharp bend with much caution, the front wheel went out and I went down. Expected significant damage but the only marks are on my shifters and rear skewer. Was very surprised that forks and frame were unscathed but I guess the bike mostly landed on top of me, handlebars must have turned as shifters on both sides are cosmetically damaged... but not the bar tape... go figure. Also, I was wearing my fantastic new Ground Effect merino knicks and given the massive graze on my hip and knee, I expected to find some rips... not a mark :mrgreen: So I guess I got off pretty light really.

foo on patrol

Re: First crash

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:04 pm

Good to hear the bike is ok. :D

Oh and you. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:23 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Good to hear the bike is ok. :D

Oh and you. :mrgreen:

Foo
+1 :lol:
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:45 pm

Glad your ok Paul B, and that your bike and clothes are ok as well.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:00 pm

Thanks guys... no big deal relative to real accidents... hopefully that will be my only one for a long time. Maybe I should have optimistically titled the thread "Last Crash"...

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:09 pm

forget about the bike... health comes first

my first tumble, my rotator cuff got screwed over... 3 - 4 weeks off work .. and i dont think its ever the same since.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:31 pm

DoubleSpeeded wrote:forget about the bike... health comes first

my first tumble, my rotator cuff got screwed over... 3 - 4 weeks off work .. and i dont think its ever the same since.
Yea that is what I am alluding too... "real accidents". So grateful that my report is so insignificant compared to the experiences of others here...

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:16 am

Incase you are not aware, some tyres are far better than others in the wet.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:13 pm

Glad to see you threw your body between the bike and the road. Gotta get your priorities right. :D
Not my circus, not my monkeys

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:05 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:Glad to see you threw your body between the bike and the road. Gotta get your priorities right. :D
yea too true... skin grows back at no charge :D

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:18 pm

Paul B wrote:
Thanks guys... no big deal relative to real accidents... hopefully that will be my only one for a long time. Maybe I should have optimistically titled the thread "Last Crash"...

That's what I hoped would happen. Unfortunately several crashes later I'm still hoping it will be the last. :lol:

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:51 am

Paul B wrote:
gorilla monsoon wrote:Glad to see you threw your body between the bike and the road. Gotta get your priorities right. :D
yea too true... skin grows back at no charge :D
Yeh but bones, tendons and ligaments charge you like Loan Sharks in the long run.

richbee

Postby richbee » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:36 pm

There are two types of cyclist,
those who have yet to fall

And those who have yet to fall again

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:29 am

I've had one crash and one "accident". The accident is well documented elsewhere.

My one and only crash.

My regular ride partner and I were riding with a young rider from the area for the first time. Were we riding in line, drafting and I was at the back with the young kid on the front. A traffic light up ahead turned yellow, normally my regular ride partner and I would race it to beat the red, but the young kid hit the brakes without calling anything out. All I heard was "no, no, f**k no..." from my regular ride partner and next thing I remember was waking up on the ground in front of the other two. I have a natural black out response, no idea how it happens, I've been in two car accidents (as a passenger) where i've blacked out right before the smash, and come to without a scratch or seat belt burn after the accident. I've walked away while everyone else had concussions, seat belt burns and various bruises and torn muscles.

Any way I must have body surfed over the other two and ended up laying on my back on the road at the front of the crash. I was still clipped in to both pedals, and the only damage were my handle bars were out of alignment by about 15 to 20 degrees. Not even any damage to my clothes. I carry a multi tool in my saddle bag, so the handle bars were easily straightened.

I also blacked out during my "accident". I remember the first hit from the side of the semi-trailer, trying to keep the bike upright and thinking I was in a world of trouble, all in a split second. The next thing I remember was opening my eyes, laying on my side and in a world or hurt.

I have a few small scars from my "accident", the largest being above my right hip on the fleshy part where I had deep tissue bruising. In hospital I had silver dressing placed over all my scratches, burns and road rashes. Apparently it's the best stuff for healing surface wounded.

This is my back 5 days after the "accident". The gravel rash was really healing well. The nurses did a good job of cleaning all the road grit out of the surface wounds while I was still out of it while I was in ICU the first evening. The only dressing the nurses couldn't change daily was the one above my hip where the deep tissue bruising was. That one stuck fast and had to be soaked off the day I was released. If you are ever in hospital, ask for the silver based dressing. It's real silver.

The worst surface injury was a tyre burn down the back of my lower leg. It hurt like all hell every time I had a dressing change.

Orion

Postby Orion » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:45 am

Glad to hear you weren't seriously hurt.
I had my first crash earlier this year. Totally self-inflicted caused by not paying full attention. The longest-lasting of the injuries was some minor tendon damage in my right shoulder. Nine months on and it still isn't healed fully.
Having a crash seems to dent one's confidence for a while. I know I'm very wary going down that same hill now.

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:02 pm

At least you're okay and the bike's only suffered some cosmetic damage. A couple of battle scars are a part of being a cyclist. Don't let yourself lose confidence though, these things can happen, no reason to stop you from going faster. The only way to find the limits is to continuously test them.

Much better reason than my first crash: smugness got the better of me as I looked behind me to see how far I'd dropped another roadie and I clipped a stone wall on the side of the road and down I went.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Paul B wrote:So I guess I got off pretty light really.
Good news for you! My first big one was on wet railway tracks and I broke my knee. Painful, painful recovery.
<removed by request>

Abby

Postby Abby » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:41 pm

[quote="briztoon I have a natural black out response, no idea how it happens, [/quote]

I do the same - has happened for both my accidents. Good to hear I'm not some sort of freak...

Have often wondered though if its 'retrospective' - so that I am actually aware of what happens, but that a head knock (or similar) during the accidents has erased what's happened, starting from just before the accident... Hmmm...
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:56 pm

Another wet day another crash, this hurt a bit more than the first. The Strava reading was 48kph at the point of impact. The BMC is damaged a little more this time, nothing too serious I hope.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:48 pm

Ouch!

Dude, I think you need to look at what's going on with your tyres. What are you using?

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:05 pm

Continental ultra race. Both times the road was wet and I was cornering... so I blame me... not the tyres.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:29 pm

Paul B wrote:Continental ultra race. Both times the road was wet and I was cornering... so I blame me... not the tyres.
Tyre pressures?
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:34 pm

110 front 120 rear.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:38 pm

So you're saying because you tried to go around a corner when it was wet that it was your fault? So, you're only allowed to go in straight lines until it dries out? ;) :lol:

I'm not familiar with that particular tyre, but I love my Conti GP4000s Black Chillis - I've found them to be very trustworthy in the wet, although I am more cautious with cornering and steer around anything that looks remotely like roadmarking paint when it's damp.

On the assumption that they're as good as the 4000s, jacks1071's question is the next one I'd ask too.

At 78kgs I run mine at 85/95psi (F/R) tops, and for my rough pavement find that is the best combinaiton of grip, comfort, rolling resistance and kindness to wheels. Certainly not over 100psi under any circumstances.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:56 pm

Get well soon mate - ouch. Hopefully the BMC is okay too.

I've had a few slips and slides in the wet this year and luckily, they've only been minor with no going down. Those painted white lines on the road surface are very tricky! In wet conditions I am VERY cautious and choose wider lines / slower speeds to avoid problems. Whether I am being too cautious with regard to what my tyres can accomplish doesn't really concern me if I get to where I'm going in one piece.

chers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL