Protein powder?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
durianrider

Re: Protein powder?

Postby durianrider » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:48 am

im_no_pro wrote:
durianrider wrote:
Um, not sure if srs. ONLY vegans can get b12 deficient?
If you want to apply that (poor) logic then your earlier statement must surely mean that only people who take protein powder can get cancer? I'll give you points for enthusiasm and dedication to your argument, but thats about as much as you're getting from me.
Everyone I know who got cancer, ate a diet rich in animal protein.
Everyone I know who refused chemo/radiation and changed their diet (gerson style vegan), cured their cancer.
NEVER met a vegan with Alzheimers but have seen plenty of alzheimers patients when Ive visited nursing homes. When Ive asked out of curiosity, the nurses say they cater for vegans but nobody in the nursing home eats a vegan diet
Vegan since 2001.

wardie

Postby wardie » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:31 pm

durianrider wrote:
im_no_pro wrote:
durianrider wrote:
If you want to apply that (poor) logic then your earlier statement must surely mean that only people who take protein powder can get cancer? I'll give you points for enthusiasm and dedication to your argument, but thats about as much as you're getting from me.
Everyone I know who refused chemo/radiation and changed their diet (gerson style vegan), cured their cancer.
NEVER met a vegan with Alzheimers but have seen plenty of alzheimers patients when Ive visited nursing homes. When Ive asked out of curiosity, the nurses say they cater for vegans but nobody in the nursing home eats a vegan diet
Steve Jobs?
Giant XTC 2

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:54 pm

wardie wrote:
durianrider wrote:Everyone I know who refused chemo/radiation and changed their diet (gerson style vegan), cured their cancer.
Steve Jobs?
He didn't know Steve Jobs, so that's fine. :wink:

It's interesting that Ashton tried to copy Job's vegan diet and wound up in hospital.
<removed by request>

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:51 pm

Everone I know that has died has breathed oxygen.
Breathing in oxygen has been linked to death in 100% of researched cases.
100% of cancer patients have been proven to be breathing oxygen at some point in their lives.
Breathing in oxygen will lead to death so don't do it!

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:05 pm

brawlo wrote:Everone I know that has died has breathed oxygen.
100% of cancer patients have been proven to be breathing oxygen at some point in their lives.
But everyone I know who stopped breathing has died. So, if you breathe, you will die. This is a 100% FACT. If you stop breathing, you will DIE, this is a 100% FACT. From this there is only one conclusion, you're dammed if you do and you're dammed if you don't. :wink:
<removed by request>

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:07 pm

durianrider wrote:Everyone I know who got cancer, ate a diet rich in animal protein.
Everyone I know who died ate food. Therefore, if you eat food, you will DIE.
Everyone I know who stopped eating food, died. Therefore, if you stop eating food, you will DIE.
You're damned if you eat and you're damned if you stop eating. Either way, you are going to die.
<removed by request>

simonn

Postby simonn » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:22 pm

durianrider wrote:
im_no_pro wrote:
durianrider wrote:
I've met (virtually, anyway) at least one vegan who doesn't understand the scientific method and the definition of anecdote.

Leiothrix

Postby Leiothrix » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:25 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:You're damned if you eat and you're damned if you stop eating. Either way, you are going to die.
So might as well have that bacon.
durianrider wrote: Everyone I know who refused chemo/radiation and changed their diet (gerson style vegan), cured their cancer.
Look the rest of this thread is kind of amusing, but please don't sprout BS like this.

Diet may influence your chance of getting cancer and may affect your ability to recover.

Rejecting proper medical treatment and trying to fix it with food and a prayer is most likely to get you killed. Steve Jobs is pretty much the poster boy for this, and he was one of the richest men in the world with access to the best healthcare possible.

Spontaneous remission does occur (very) occasionally, but whenever I've read about it it just causes me to doubt the initial diagnoses. In any case it's not something you could even remotely expect to happen.

If you don't like your doctor or treatment go find another doctor. Don't go to a homeopath/faith healer/shaman/chiropractor or radically change your diet instead of seeing a qualified, evidence based doctor. If you want to see the "alternative" types as well, go for it. They'll just lighten your wallet (assuming the chiro doesn't break something) and if that makes you "feel better" good for you, but don't preach crap to others.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:57 pm

Leiothrix wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:You're damned if you eat and you're damned if you stop eating. Either way, you are going to die.
So might as well have that bacon.
Vegetarian here to bacon's pretty much out of the question for me. I do "treat" myself to some cooked rice every now and then and hope it doesn't kill me too quickly :wink:
Leiothrix wrote:Look the rest of this thread is kind of amusing, but please don't sprout BS like this.

Diet may influence your chance of getting cancer and may affect your ability to recover.
There may be some value in complementary therapies but I would use them to complement conventional medicine.
<removed by request>

Leiothrix

Postby Leiothrix » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:05 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:There may be some value in complementary therapies but I would use them to complement conventional medicine.
That was pretty much my point.

The "give up chemo and eat some vegies" post bugged me a little bit.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:10 pm

If I do use protien powder its USN Vanilla Whey Protien http://goo.gl/bM6xBt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; used to use the IGF-1 http://goo.gl/BxrKjz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; till I heard about its links to cancer. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15562830" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Wakatuki on Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:21 pm

Leiothrix wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:There may be some value in complementary therapies but I would use them to complement conventional medicine.
That was pretty much my point.
The "give up chemo and eat some vegies" post bugged me a little bit.
ha! turns out the reference to "gerson style vegan" is another red herring anyway. According to gerson.org, organically grown fruits and vegetables are used to make fresh raw juice, up to one glass every hour, up to 13 times per day. Raw and cooked solid foods are generously consumed.

Since *someone* doesn't believe in consuming cooked food, it seems anomalous that same person would promote a therapy that encourages the consumption of cooked foods.

I know someone who had a good outcome from a mix of conventional and complementary therapies for prostate cancer. No gerson/vegan/raw/cooked required. :wink:
<removed by request>

defy1

Postby defy1 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:32 pm

durianrider wrote:
im_no_pro wrote:
durianrider wrote:
You're a very very dangerous and deluded person. I really hope you don't get anyone killed because of your stupid advice.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:37 pm

defy1 wrote:
durianrider wrote:Everyone I know who got cancer, ate a diet rich in animal protein.
You're a very very dangerous and deluded person. I really hope you don't get anyone killed because of your stupid advice.
Agree +1 million.
<removed by request>

Leiothrix

Postby Leiothrix » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:05 pm

defy1 wrote:You're a very very dangerous and deluded person. I really hope you don't get anyone killed because of your stupid advice.
Another +eleventy billion here.

Davidrnau

Postby Davidrnau » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:11 pm

Pedaling wrote:Hi All,
I am looking at buying some protein powder, and with so many on the market, I was wondering;
1. Which protein powder do you use and why?
2. How much powder do you use?
3. How often do you have protein shakes?
Thanks All,
Cheers,

Darrin.
Hi

I like to use this one, Redbak Rapid WPI just started with it last couple of rides, tastes nice (Vanilla), mixed easily with a spoon didn't feel bloated, I just drink it post ride, thats the only time I use a protein powder.

You can read about it here......

http://www.mrsupplement.com.au/redbak-rapid-wpi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

David

Leiothrix

Postby Leiothrix » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:43 pm

@Davidrnau -- what is this getting back on topic? Geeze :twisted:

I like Dymatize, but having tried Bulk Nutrients I think I'll use that. It doesn't mix as well, but is a whole bunch cheaper.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:41 pm

Leiothrix wrote:@Davidrnau -- what is this getting back on topic? Geeze :twisted:

I like Dymatize, but having tried Bulk Nutrients I think I'll use that. It doesn't mix as well, but is a whole bunch cheaper.
I have Vital Strength Professional Muscle Advanced Mass Protein but would NOT recommend it. It's expensive, tastes awful, does not dissolve properly and artificial sweeteners. I would not buy it again.
<removed by request>

retrorepco

Postby retrorepco » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:59 am

being born means you must die?
So don't be born if you don't want to die.

retrorepco

Postby retrorepco » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:59 am

being born means you must die?
So don't be born if you don't want to die.

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:13 pm

retrorepco wrote:being born means you must die?
Said every emo kid ever
retrorepco wrote:So don't be born if you don't want to die.
Stupid parents robbed me of my right to choose!

BUUUUUT back on topic, work out what you want in a protein powder. If you're after something for post workout, then look for protein isolate. If you're just after a protein 'filler' then protein concentrate may be more what you're after. From there, you can get just the protein on it's own or mixed with other stuff.

Do you compete at levels where you might be drug tested? Generally speaking, protein on it's own is safe to use for athletes. When it's mixed in with other goodies, the territory can get a bit scary if you delve into the nitty gritty of the ingredients list.

When I started looking, I read plenty of horror stories about protein powders tasting like crap. So my first priority was flavour. Some searching showed Optimum Nutrition's WPI topped many lists for taste, so I ran with that. You may put more weight in other factors, so choose accordingly. They basically all work, and you can readily get anything that's on the market via mail order. The choices are endless!