Raising it's head again

ColinOldnCranky

Raising it's head again

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:33 am

This time the call for bike registration is by an "avid" cyclist.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/pu ... 6738618261
Push for bicycle registration scheme finds powerful backer in Christine Forster, sister to PM Tony Abbott
- See more at: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/pu ... 9KaJ5.dpuf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
THE push for a bicycle registration scheme has found a powerful backer, with the sister of Prime Minister Tony Abbott, an avid cyclist, calling on Liberal counterparts in state government to make it law. City of Sydney councillor Christine Forster has written to Transport Minister Gladys Berejiklian and Roads Minister Duncan Gay, arguing insuring bikes would provide a safety net for third parties in the event of accidents with other road users and pedestrians"I am proposing a system under which a one-off registration and third party insurance fee is paid at the point of sale for each adult-sized bicycle in NSW. Such insurance schemes already exist and are offered for a relatively small fee by organisations such as Cycling NSW," Ms Forster said."Increasing numbers of cyclists are using our roads, raising the likelihood of accidents between bikes and cars and bikes and pedestrians. Just as we licence and insure cars, I believe we should now be investigating a way to insure bicycles." Switzerland has a mandatory bicycle registration system that provides third party insurance over-age for riders until 2012, when it was replaced with personal liability insurance that covers against damage in an accident involving a bicycle. - See more at: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/pu ... 9KaJ5.dpuf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The City of Honolulu in Hawaii registers bikes at $15 each when they are bought.The Queensland government is investigating the potential benefits and impacts of bicycle registration, as well as penalties for cyclists.Under its Long Term Transport Master Plan, the state government wants to double the number of bicycle trips in metropolitan Sydney by 2016, as well as proposing to build a network of bike lanes in the CBD. - See more at: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/pu ... 9KaJ5.dpuf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ms Forster said it was important to look at third party insurance connected with bicycles, particularly given the number of shared paths being established where pedestrians and cyclists are forced to mix in confined quarter."This in turn, increases the likelihood of incidents happening," she said.Ms Forster argued that NSW cyclists were lightly regulated, with the largest fine $67 for reckless riding."In Victoria a cyclist can be fined $67,000 and jailed for five years if they leave the scene of an accident (such as a hit and run)," she said. - See more at: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/pu ... 9KaJ5.dpuf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A spokesman for Mr Gay and Ms Berejiklian said they would respond "in due course".A spokeswoman for Lord Mayor Clover Moore said the RMS had previously examined the issue but the costs and difficulties would outweigh any benefits: "The Roads Minister had said the RMS looked into the feasibility of registering bike riders and found it would be ineffective. - See more at: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/pu ... 9KaJ5.dpuf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by ColinOldnCranky on Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

ColinOldnCranky

Re: Raising it's head again

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:35 am

The one-of registration at point of sale probably gets rid of the cyclist's objection that collecting a fee and maintaining a register cost's more thanthe revenue raised.

But, if insuring third parties is an issue then it should instead be funded out of the savings that arise from every trip that you make on a bike instead of a car. Not to mention other clear, though hard to quantify, benefits to society - health, environment, etc.

The level of subsidizing that society affords bikes is pretty low compared to other travellers, especially those in cars.

Every trip I make reduces that subsidy applicable to my use of the car and public transport. I'd guess that that reduction would pay for the risk-premium on my use of cycling many times over.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

reefer

Postby reefer » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:17 pm

A one off payment of $15 for the life of my bicycle to own the left hand lane is great value imo :mrgreen:

(of course, we already have the right to be in that lane, it might just shut up some of d***kh**ds in our society that we have to live with). :wink:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:51 pm

If they do it, I'll sell my bicycles, give up riding and become a cranky motorist. :roll:

However, if it means pedestrians should also have rego and insurance, and penalties if they leave the scene of an accident, then I am for it.

hudnut

Postby hudnut » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:01 pm

I don't buy my bikes.

I build them.

richbee

Postby richbee » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:41 pm

hudnut wrote:I don't buy my bikes.

I build them.
+1
I've only ever bought a complete bike once, upgradeitis is responsible for the rest.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:45 pm

A "once off" fee will very quickly become an annual surcharge once the bean counters twig there's a buck or two to be sucked into the black hole of consolidated revenue. (As long as costs are borne by a different department.)
Forget the 'Arolds and Shaaaaaymes of the world, we're our own worst enemies... :roll:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:14 pm

insuring bikes would provide a safety net for third parties in the event of accidents with other road users and pedestrians
Yes, I want mandatory shoe insurance to cover me against all those feral pedestrians who cause so much grief and harm on the shared paths and streets :twisted:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:17 pm

I am still laughing at the idea that Christine Forster is a powerful anything. She is a Liberal council in the City of Sydney, just squeaking in as the 9th & last councilor, but does not appear to have any real influence in Macquarie St. Her biggest claim to fame Is her brother being PM, but she doesn't seem to have a lot of influence there.

At this stage it appears to be one stupid idea that hasn't captured hearts and minds in Macquarie St.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

exadios

Postby exadios » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:56 pm

My sister opposes bicycle registration. Taking the two women together does that mean that there is no feeling one way or the other within the relevant constituency?

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:16 pm

Oh, this is a family friendly forum, nicht wahr? Then I can't say what I really think.

I'm tempted to write "Sure. I'm all for it, WHEN we get the same rights and attention to demands and details as all other road users."

That includes police presence and assistance, and what I feel would be most valuable, membership to the RAA, NRMA, etc gives roadside assistance, breakdown help and free delivery of vehicle to home where needed. How about them apples? And, by the way, I want a commensurate reduction for every freeway and road I'm precluded from using.

Suck it up, sister.

zero

Postby zero » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:50 pm

exadios wrote:My sister opposes bicycle registration. Taking the two women together does that mean that there is no feeling one way or the other within the relevant constituency?
nope - thats a majority for no registration, since a sample including your sister and council members should really include the mayor :)

Forster is a gripe candidate anyway, and doesn't have a great policy background and can't get press oxygen for anything other than griping about bikes. If there is some other policy 20% of the voters don't like next election, she'll lose her gripe spot to that.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:14 pm

Don't get your nickers in a twist peoples, it'll never happen. It's a financial burden on the state and a logistical nightmare, and it'll achieve nothing.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:09 am

Yes, we all know that. It is just so mind-numbingly crass to get the continual barrage of turds from these motor-mouthed motorists :roll:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:35 am

I can't see how a fee on new bikes can be called rego, OK so its meant to provide some sort of insurance cover only, which can come from other general taxation revenue anyway. It makes 2nd hand bikes untraceable. I thought the idea of rego for bikes is so the owner/rider can be identified when they take off through red lights etc. This scheme would do nothing for what 'everyone' is calling for.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:35 am

Boat Licences in Tas were a one off fee 15 years ago. Now they must be renewed every 5yrs I think. I changed mine over to a WA one now we have them and it is currently a one off. They got the renew fees over the line with the promise of improved facilities in Tas.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

rokwiz

Postby rokwiz » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:15 pm

rustychisel wrote: I want a commensurate reduction for every freeway and road I'm precluded from using.
You wouldn't have to worry about it cause you would be legally allowed to use all the lanes. Rego ? never going to happen.
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D Diderot 1752

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:02 pm

rokwiz wrote:
rustychisel wrote: I want a commensurate reduction for every freeway and road I'm precluded from using.
You wouldn't have to worry about it cause you would be legally allowed to use all the lanes. Rego ? never going to happen.
I know it's not going to happen; I was answering the hypothetical, really.

I fail to see how rego of bicycles allows open access to all roads, as night follows day, however.