How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

jasonc

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:26 am

ouch aaron

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:27 am

Thought I would stop for the free breakfast at Pyrmont this morning. That was a mistake - coffee was awful & it turns out the fruit roll contained something I am allergic to, so am now sitting at work waiting for the antihistamine to kick in. BLEAH! While feeling sorry for myself right now, I will recover soon enough & it could be much worse - like AaronB above.

That's an awful way to finish the day Aaron, hope it turns out better than it sounds.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:16 am

Ride back via MYT, Greensborough, Bundoora. A little windy, but pretty good overall.
Wamer this morning than the past few days, propelled into the CBD by a gusty northerly, will pay the price this afternoon, I suspect.
I was waaayyyy to early for the Ride To Work breakfast, so I missed out.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:16 am

Thought I'd get some reward for my commuting so decided to attend the ride2work free brekkie down the Cairns Esplanade this morning. Trouble was I had to be at work by 5am this morning, well ahead of the free stuff. Once the early workplace activities were complete, it was on the bike and off to the Brekkie, via work related area in town. Great turn up in Cairns and the offerings were most satisfactory: Bacon and egg rolls, fruit, fresh local yoghurt. You could also purchase 'decent' coffee from a coffee vendor that had set up on site. Five of our workplace of eight attended so not a bad percentage.

Photos of the Cairns event were uploaded with the Strava Activity: http://app.strava.com/activities/89286357" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: Council were also handing out free tee shirts. Bonus!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:27 am

free t? bonus. a bit of far commute for me though

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:28 am

I stopped in at the Chandler Highway brekky put on by Bundoora (council? BUG? together?)

Good part of Ride to Work day - I felt super fast passing all the once-a-year commuters.
Bad part: I was slowed down waiting to pass too many once-a-year commuters.

:/
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:37 am

Dropped by the Perth free brekkie- smallest ripe banana's I have ever seen- tasty though. Some nice freebies floating around and had a discussion with a bike shop mechanic with a beautiful custom made steel cross bike running single chainring and SRAM red- drool factor :mrgreen:
Last edited by CXCommuter on Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:15 pm

Still not quite going the distance, but being R2W day I figured I could at least make the station. I cruise up only to find that the bike cage smartrider gate is out of order, harrrgh!

I harrumph, drop all my bundles and start about wrestling my panniers off to schlep on the train with me - I'll risk them in the cage with a little cable lock on them, but not out of it - and a guard notices my chargrin, and offers to unlock the cage for me - he showed me the door to knock on to be let in again when I get back tonight, so we'll see how that goes. Thanks buddeh :)
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:21 pm

Yeah it was good to see more of a mixed plain clothes bunch of commuters despite the weather on my later start today when it was busier.
The Leederville spot at corner of Oxford right by the side of the PSP looked good and convenient, but I was already pushing it to get to work on time so couldn't stop to have a wander.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:00 pm

CXCommuter wrote:Dropped by the Perth free brekkie- smallest ripe banana's I have ever seen- tasty though. Some nice freebies floating around and had a discussion with a bike shop mechanic with a beautiful custom made steel cross bike running single chainring and SRAM red- drool factor :mrgreen:
Those bananas are awesome! There was heaps of people at 7. The queue for coffee was about 1/2 long. I went to Ristretto. It was great to see hundreds of cyclists in the same place at the same time though.
<removed by request>

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:01 pm

Had a 9 am meeting so I couldn't enjoy any of the available breakfasts. Grabbed some of the complementary breakfast at work but it wasn't as good as last year's.

First world problems! :lol:
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:59 pm

__PG__ wrote:Had a 9 am meeting so I couldn't enjoy any of the available breakfasts. Grabbed some of the complementary breakfast at work but it wasn't as good as last year's.

First world problems! :lol:
:lol:

That was also my impression of the Melbourne CBD City Square Ride to Work (I refuse to write 'Ride2Work'). Offerings were less than last year (or at least there were less tents) and it just felt smaller. The chia seed raisin roll and another type of seed raisin roll were yummy but after someone above mentioned a bacon and egg roll I feel sad that we didn't have that option (such a greedy girl I am :P ). I haven't tried the yoghurt we got yet as I also had an all day professional development seminar which had free food as well (hello stuffing of the face for the whole day!!!).

Thanks to the mobile bicycle mechanics who had a tent and were doing free quick bicycle maintenance for fixing my FD that had come out of alignment.

It was an unpleasant ride into the breakfast this morning with a headwind. The ride home was alright and uneventful.

Oh, and after investigations it seems there is a secret (okay, not so secret) private car park under the office building and showers (in addition to the public car park I am currently using that don't have showers), however it is like a rabbit warren down there under the building and my ID card still doesn't seem to be working on what I believe is the correct door to get to the bike parking section (or even the secret car park). It works on the lift, just not on any doors after the lift. I can hear cars starting on the other side of a door but I can't get there. Very frustrating. I want to be in on the secret!!!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:53 pm

Senior partners only Summer, give it time :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:33 am

Sure was windy for Ride to Work day. Good to see lots of people riding in, for those who don't normally ride to work, congrats, you picked a tough day. No time for the free brekkie as I'm never early for work but that's fine.

The ride home was fast with that Northerly. I even managed to get into top gear which is very rare, was doing 45 and barely pedalling (50 x 11 gear from memory).

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:34 am

DavidS wrote:The ride home was fast with that Northerly. I even managed to get into top gear which is very rare, was doing 45 and barely pedalling (50 x 11 gear from memory).DS
Totally the opposite for me yesterday arvo...heading north straight into the jaws of the the wind. Thought my legs were going to snap at the knees from the effort.
Woke up this morning, peeked at the radar - massive rain front heading for Melbourne. Decided that whatever I did, I wasn't going to stay dry, and dressed to get wet: SPD sandals, shorts vest & spray jacket. Toes were a bit cold, but otherwise it wasn't too bad. Naturally the front passed fairly soon and I was almost dry again by the time I got into the CBD.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:49 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Senior partners only Summer, give it time :wink:
And I'm in! Secure bike parking now with showers and the secret handshake has been transferred. :D No senior-ness required, just a lot of being nice. :mrgreen:

The Garmin didn't record my ride in this morning. Maybe I turned it off as all it showed was one second of moving time. Whoops.

Only one numpty on a motorscooter who tooted me before passing me in my lane this morning. Which I was deliberately riding in the middle of to stop close passes. Ah well.

It looks to be a wet ride home with the rain that has appeared. I might be lucky and have it stop for the ride home.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:54 pm

Summernight wrote:It looks to be a wet ride home with the rain that has appeared. I might be lucky and have it stop for the ride home.
my dad (lives in melbourne), just sent me a pic of hail down there

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:55 pm

After three weeks of cycling most days, working full time and renovating a house after work my legs are trashed. I contemplated not riding in today but it's too complicated to time the bus/train combo commute and get to work at a decent time. The first half of my trip was very slow. The second half was awesome because I got overtaken by a rider who rides just faster than my fast ride, who pulled me all the way to work. I ended up with a really decent time which is amazing after my first half slump.
<removed by request>

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:57 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:I contemplated not riding in today but it's too complicated to time the bus/train combo commute and get to work at a decent time.
not because posting in the excuses/honourable reasons thread is difficult? :D

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:52 pm

jasonc wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:I contemplated not riding in today but it's too complicated to time the bus/train combo commute and get to work at a decent time.
not because posting in the excuses/honourable reasons thread is difficult? :D
Posting excuses is way easier than trying to get a bus that's aligns with a train... :wink:
<removed by request>

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:00 pm

Summernight wrote:Only one numpty on a motorscooter who tooted me before passing me in my lane this morning. Which I was deliberately riding in the middle of to stop close passes. Ah well.
She/he is just "tooting" to say they have seen you - the appropriate response is to give them a wave to say you have heard them. No need to be too enthusiastic, one or two fingers will do :twisted:

Not looking forward to the ride home - blowing a howling gale so the rain is horizontal and the MILFH will be there to greet me at the end of it. I picked a bad day to give up drugs :)

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:39 am

TailWind wrote:
DavidS wrote:The ride home was fast with that Northerly. I even managed to get into top gear which is very rare, was doing 45 and barely pedalling (50 x 11 gear from memory).DS
Totally the opposite for me yesterday arvo...heading north straight into the jaws of the the wind. Thought my legs were going to snap at the knees from the effort.
Sounds like my ride to work yesterday ;)

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:17 am

got up and there blue stuff on the radar heading my way. So I just went. Got a few drops but that was about it. will be hitting shortly.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:31 am

jasonc wrote:got up and there blue stuff on the radar heading my way. So I just went. Got a few drops but that was about it. will be hitting shortly.
Radar is not always right - yesterday's Sydney radar showed a huge storm, but there was in fact no rain - seems it was the embers and ashes from the bushfires in the blue mountains.

No "commute" for me today as the little boy has a cold & so it is daddy day care. Fortunately one of the best ways to keep him entertained is to take him for a ride :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:33 am

find_bruce wrote:
jasonc wrote:got up and there blue stuff on the radar heading my way. So I just went. Got a few drops but that was about it. will be hitting shortly.
Radar is not always right - yesterday's Sydney radar showed a huge storm, but there was in fact no rain - seems it was the embers and ashes from the bushfires in the blue mountains.
Considering the city is slowly disappearing, I'd say it's rain
find_bruce wrote:No "commute" for me today as the little boy has a cold & so it is daddy day care. Fortunately one of the best ways to keep him entertained is to take him for a ride :)
honourable excuses thread for you - approved.