Help on Wheelset selection

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Help on Wheelset selection

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:58 pm

Without approval from the department of finance to enter the 21st century of mountain bike riding - I am stuck with my death rattler. A German brand, Stevens (model M7 Race) and the best feature is the original Shimano XTR disc brakes.

The list of worst features is longer:
- Frame - XC MTB hardtail which is not a great choice for Sydney tracks
- Judy Fork
- Dead rear hub

I tried to revitalise the hub but is it not worth it and the old Mavic rims are simply better off (yes, off the bike).

While a wheelset is interesting, the rear wheel alone is budget and I originally got an Easton EA70 XCT with 6 bolt disc however it was delivered out of true (not round and with a slight wobble) plus the hub was scuffed - a sign of bad storage or handling. Back it went as I want a new condition wheel if I pay a new price.

The challenge is getting the right specs:
26"
135mm O.L.D (axle lenth 145mm)
10mm diamter axle
6 bolt

Generally would avoid the Shimano centrelock system as it a problem of compatibility and I see myself forking out for new rotors and I am assuming tools.

Should I concentrate on the Easton wheels or do you have any hot tips that keep me on the better side of $350
Cycling is in my BNA

Duck!
Expert

Re: Help on Wheelset selection

Postby Duck! » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:01 am

There are adaptors readily available, and not expensive, to allow fitment of 6-bolt rotors to Centrelock hubs. The locknut for CL rotors uses the same spline as the cassette locknut, so there's no need to by a new tool.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:21 am

That makes it easier then. Thanks Duck.

The rotor alignment when using the centrelock system I assume is a DIN standard - it would be good to avoid aligning the disc brakes - although this is no big deal if it is just a few micrometres.
Cycling is in my BNA

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:20 am

Pair Shimano 525 Hubs - Stan ZTR Rims 26"

I have the ZTR 355 rims on XT hubs. I have about 1600km with 100kg on the bike. No problems so far. The rims are worth about $120 on there own.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:00 pm

AUbicycles wrote:That makes it easier then. Thanks Duck.

The rotor alignment when using the centrelock system I assume is a DIN standard - it would be good to avoid aligning the disc brakes - although this is no big deal if it is just a few micrometres.
Rotor alignment is well within the range of adjustment allowed by the caliper mounts.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:59 pm

I have a centrelock XT rear hub on my 700c commuter wheelset for the 26er hardtail, and a Mavic CrossLand wheelset for the rough stuff with knobblies.

I can swap between them without having to touch either brake caliper or rear derailleur settings. YEs, a sample of two, but I reckon it's likely that if you stick with name brand good quality hubs you'll likely be fine.

Same with the TWE wheelset that came with my newly acquired CAAD9 and the ProLite Braccianos. No disc brakes on those but no rear derailleur fiddling required.

As for wheels, I'm really happy with the Stan's Crest rims on my 29er. Given you've got a hardtail, maybe the Arch EX with Hope Pro2 hubs.

Alternatively, I have a contact who's wanting to get rid of a power meter laced up to Stans 26er rims. :lol:

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:39 am

I have been looking and half the retailers don't have specs so it neans checking ang checking again.

My budget is probably now $220 + or -
and don't mind 2nd hand but am ready to move now - I can give you a call if the price range works.

Can't invest too much but the Dpt of finance suggested that I may be able to start planning for a real bike sometime soon.
Cycling is in my BNA

jaffaman

Postby jaffaman » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:44 pm

My LBS arranged some Velocity Synergy 26" wheels laced to velocity sealed bearing 6 bolt disk hubs, off centre profile on the rear. All the same specs you are after. Made to spec, took about a week to turn up, just under $500 for the pair. The hubs were about half of that cost. I wanted something strong (125 kgs for me alone). Had them 6 months no issues yet, though I don't ride heaps, although the rear is loud when I freewheel. I chose them by reading through the velocity web site. You may find ordering something like that would get you what you need for the right price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:25 pm

I went for bottom of the barrel ca. $250 for Mavic Crossride Disc Wheelset which fit the specs for 6 bolt disk and the axle width and diameters.

Because the bike is by todays standards pretty crap (trailgumby tried it and was shocked), and no one is throwing free bikes or gear my way, it is very modest and will keep be sane before saving for a real MTB. A new cassette and chain goes on as well although it is probably single-speed conversion worthy, for an extra dose of pain.

If there is interest, I can report on the quality of the wheels.
Cycling is in my BNA

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:44 pm

Indeed I was shocked :lol:

But I am mightily impressed by AUbicycles' riding skills if he can make staying in control over techy terrain look as easy as he does on that thing!

Wider tyres (as he now has) run at lower pressures, more than 50mm travel, wider handlebars and a shorter stem would go a long way to improving handling.

Although ... maybe I should keep quiet. I hope your missus doesn't read this forum ;)