Moron Motorists #3

Lukeyboy

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:26 pm

Came across 2 toss pots on today's ride. The first one must have thought Oh look a stupid cyclist. I reckon I can overtake him and easily pull into that driveway. Hmmm this stupid cyclist seems to be doing 35 in the 60 zone so it might be closer. Damn he's going a bit faster than 35 isn't he? Jesus he's doing over 40kph and I still haven't overtaken him yet... Oh f**k better put on that blinker, brake hard and cut across the bike lane to make that driveway in this massive truck!

Go eat a stick StarTrack Express.

Second toss pot was some old guy who decided to cut across 2 lanes of oncoming traffic on the exit of a roundabout (coming towards me) to get into a servo only to realise that it's a trucks only servo but instead of entering the driveway he was heading for he swerved back across the road directly infront of me and a ute who were just exiting the roundabout. Completely useless!

stretts

Postby stretts » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:43 pm

arkle wrote:
That is amazingly clear. What kind of camera are you using?

arkle

PS just been out on the Tuesday Night Espresso ride - every week, usually Mt Lofty or Norton Summit and back - you interested?
Hey Arkle,

Im using a mobius action cam :) Im busy Tuesday nights for the foreseeable future but I am keen when my time frees up. Although cant say im aprticularly fast up Norton (best time 19:01) although id say itd be better if I was paced haha

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:00 pm

stretts wrote:funny thing is a police car passed me just up the road, there is no enforcement.
This happened to me yesterday afternoon. There is a bike crossing over Barrack Street in Perth but for some reason the drivers turning right off Roe St onto Barrack St get priority. When their green arrow turns red, the cycle crossing light turns green and the cyclists start moving into the intersection but the drivers turning right keep coming and coming and coming. I counted 5 yesterday who all went through on the red. This causes cyclists (crossing on the green) to conflict with drivers (turning on the red). I have seen some very close near hit incidents here. Yesterday all of this played out in front of police in a police car. Police did nothing.
<removed by request>

arkle

Postby arkle » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:13 pm

stretts wrote:
arkle wrote:
That is amazingly clear. What kind of camera are you using?

arkle

PS just been out on the Tuesday Night Espresso ride - every week, usually Mt Lofty or Norton Summit and back - you interested?
Hey Arkle,

Im using a mobius action cam :) Im busy Tuesday nights for the foreseeable future but I am keen when my time frees up. Although cant say im aprticularly fast up Norton (best time 19:01) although id say itd be better if I was paced haha
Thanks. You'd be in good company then. My best time is 19m33s, though I'm below average for our regular Tuesday night group. Some of the lads (and lasses) are pretty fast, but it's a social ride and there are plenty of re-grouping points. No one gets left behind. Let me know if you want to come along - it's always nice to see new faces.

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:43 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:Yesterday all of this played out in front of police in a police car. Police did nothing.
None of them were speeding so it was perfectly safe.[/tic]
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Tomca74

Postby Tomca74 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:20 pm

I don't bother with too many of the incidents in my workday, but a few I keep.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpZKxK_EeOQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ-6HnZliFA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and this gem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs-Ey4daY_Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Davidrnau

Postby Davidrnau » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:27 pm

Tomca74 wrote:I don't bother with too many of the incidents in my workday, but a few I keep.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpZKxK_EeOQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ-6HnZliFA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and this gem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs-Ey4daY_Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Love that banjo music with the first clip :D

Second WT... :evil:

Third....God help us if that L plater gets a licence

David

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:43 am

Moron taxi today. Going South on Beach Rd near the clock tower in St Kilda. There's a narrow bike lane there and no parking. Taxi is stopped in the bike lane, and across a fair bit of the vehicle lane too, to let off passengers. Whacked his mirror in as I passed. Geez they piss me off, by letting passengers off there I have to go out into the traffic and you're usually going quick there as it is downhill, add the wind today and I was going. Absolutely no concern for anyone else.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:37 am

Moron public bus driver today
Was waiting at traffic lights, look left and see the amber glare from the amber light, goes to red. Second later transperth bus goes flying thru the intersection on the red light. Our lights go green as bus is going thru the intersection. Could have affected the lives of so many if he was 2 seconds later
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:32 am

white 3 tonne truck turns right onto sylvan rd into my direction of travel whilst I'm in the car lane right there
tried to have words with driver. english was not his first or second language

rego 122CYA

hannos

Postby hannos » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:57 am

Bus drivers are a Law unto themselves...
I'm trying to see if I can make out the rego on the bus, either way I have filed a complaint on Transdev's website regarding this. I'm sure they won't be able to track down who the driver was... :roll:

2010 BMC SLC01

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:43 am

hannos wrote:Bus drivers are a Law unto themselves...
I'm trying to see if I can make out the rego on the bus, either way I have filed a complaint on Transdev's website regarding this. I'm sure they won't be able to track down who the driver was... :roll:
If that's the bus number painted on the front (307) - that should be enough for them

Edit: First bus was 127 - the second one was 307
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

hannos

Postby hannos » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:50 am

KenGS wrote:
hannos wrote:Bus drivers are a Law unto themselves...
If that's the bus number painted on the front (307) - that should be enough for them

Edit: First bus was 127 - the second one was 307

Ah yes, good point! I'll be sure to mention that when they don't respond ;p
2010 BMC SLC01

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:58 am

Yesterday had multiples for some reason.

First up was 100m from my own house, on my own street, where a 100m long dead end street meets mine in a roundabout. 2 cars approaching out of the dead end street, 1st car gives way to me, 2nd car must have presumed that was not necessary (its only a bike) and locks up its wheels in a huge cloud of tyre smoke to avoid running up the back of the 1st car, while giving me (or the other driver) the finger.

Second was a close shave from a car leaving some lights that would have knocked me off , except I swerved to my left to avoid it. Low speed as we were both accelerating from 0 but really aggressive from the driver, who was the sole vehicle occupant, and was desperate to get into the T2 lane 10 meters in front...

Third was a channel 9 4wd tailgating me at 30-45kmh because I was in its way on a multilane road. Never mind that I actually caught up to slower moving traffic in front, maybe he was upset I was holding him up from joining the slower traffic. Unfortunately the police car going along there was 3 cars back and didn't see. After the police car overtook me further down the road, I then stayed in the right wheel track behind it. When I see a police car, I always fully claim the lane, be it right in front or right behind - just so that other people watching start to wonder if maybe I'm not doing anything wrong... :)

Fourthly was last night, stopped at a red light outside some shops as the first in queue in a very narrow road lane. A car came up behind. There was a left turn green arrow but red for going straight. Guy in car leans out window and shouts "hey I want to turn left here". Say What, what do you do if there is a car there going straight you nong, shout at them too? It'd already gone orange by this stage and I would have considered moving into the gutter, thing is chances were I'd then get taken out by the next car behind going straight... Driver thought the better of it and waved a don't worry about it type wave.

Sigh.

Undertow

Postby Undertow » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:37 am

Gordonhooker wrote:
Big_Red wrote: Oh, and while in the car driving home from the train station tonight while awaiting a gap in the traffic at a T junction, i spied a numpty on a motorcycle driving
a couple of hundred metres in the bike lane before the overpass for the Gateway Motorway at Tingalpa in order to circumvent the logjam of cars in the 2 lanes
heading east. Moron.
I will do that myself if there is not a cyclist in the bike lane in front of me, as far as I know traffic filtering when the vehicles are stationary is not an offense in QLD.
There's a big difference between traffic filtering and being in a lane you aren't legally allowed in.

I believe you are allowed to travel in a bike lane for up to 50m if you are turning or avoiding an obstruction, but other than that motorcycles aren't allowed in bike lanes.

Also I have friends who have been booked for filtering. But the offence wasn't actually filtering, just before pretty much all intersections on multi-lane roads you'll notice that the lines between lanes become solid, if you filter there you can get done for breaking the following rule:
"A driver must not cross a continuous line separating two lanes unless the lane is a special purpose lane, such as a transit lane, and the driver is allowed to use the special purpose lane."

hannos

Postby hannos » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:37 am

This one yesterday is not so much moronic, but amusing (at least to me). Take note of the motorcyclist in Lane #3 at the 33s mark.

2010 BMC SLC01

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:37 pm

Motorbike cops don't wear jackets/high vis in NSW?

OH&S requirement here in WA.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:43 pm

hannos wrote:This one yesterday is not so much moronic, but amusing (at least to me). Take note of the motorcyclist in Lane #3 at the 33s mark.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Davidrnau

Postby Davidrnau » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:55 pm

hannos wrote:This one yesterday is not so much moronic, but amusing (at least to me). Take note of the motorcyclist in Lane #3 at the 33s mark.

Yeah that was amusing....Mr motorcyle idiot, didn't see the motorbike copper in lane 3 :D :D :D
Notice how Mr motorcycle idiot became Mr goodie two shoes after getting a talking too from motorcycle cop :D :D :D

I found it intereseting the motorcycle police officer was not wearing a jacket only short sleeve shirt.....I don't ever recall seeing that here in QLD.

David

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:54 pm

DavidS wrote:Moron taxi today. Going South on Beach Rd near the clock tower in St Kilda. There's a narrow bike lane there and no parking. Taxi is stopped in the bike lane, and across a fair bit of the vehicle lane too, to let off passengers. Whacked his mirror in as I passed. Geez they piss me off, by letting passengers off there I have to go out into the traffic and you're usually going quick there as it is downhill, add the wind today and I was going. Absolutely no concern for anyone else.

DS
I think you find in all states that a taxi can stop in a bike, bus, no parking etc. etc. to drop off and pick up passengers.
OI onya bike!!!

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:01 pm

Undertow wrote:
Gordonhooker wrote:
Big_Red wrote: Oh, and while in the car driving home from the train station tonight while awaiting a gap in the traffic at a T junction, i spied a numpty on a motorcycle driving
a couple of hundred metres in the bike lane before the overpass for the Gateway Motorway at Tingalpa in order to circumvent the logjam of cars in the 2 lanes
heading east. Moron.
I will do that myself if there is not a cyclist in the bike lane in front of me, as far as I know traffic filtering when the vehicles are stationary is not an offense in QLD.
There's a big difference between traffic filtering and being in a lane you aren't legally allowed in.

I believe you are allowed to travel in a bike lane for up to 50m if you are turning or avoiding an obstruction, but other than that motorcycles aren't allowed in bike lanes.

Also I have friends who have been booked for filtering. But the offence wasn't actually filtering, just before pretty much all intersections on multi-lane roads you'll notice that the lines between lanes become solid, if you filter there you can get done for breaking the following rule:
"A driver must not cross a continuous line separating two lanes unless the lane is a special purpose lane, such as a transit lane, and the driver is allowed to use the special purpose lane."
I ride a motorcycle in QLD and have been riding motorcycles in QLD for over 40 years and I do know what you can and what can't do legally or at least what our local police will turn a blind eye to on a motorcycle in QLD. What I find quite amusing in here and in motorcycle forum threads, and I don't mean that for every case because some rants are justified. But it seems if someone is inconvenienced in some way both others on the road the others a deemed morons. Honestly if there was just a little more give and take everyone would be much happier on the roads.
OI onya bike!!!

Thrilloilogy

Postby Thrilloilogy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:25 pm

I have no idea why the RTA decided 10 years ago or so in NSW to make it the law to indicate left as you exit a roundabout. The problem is the RTA gives the licenses out to anyone who asks for one, and Sydney drivers aren't smart enough to comprehend what indicating left as you exit means. Todays moron approaches roundabout, no indicator; then puts his left indicator on before he had even entered the roundabout. I am waiting to go straight - he is on my right. I am just about to push off, but I am watching his wheels and know they are pointing straight. The moron goes straight.

I yelled at him "you're going straight, why are you indicating". The moron probably doesn't know how stupid he is.

Basically, indicators at a roundabout are useless - they mean nothing.

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:07 pm

What is this word, 'indicator' you speak of?

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:52 pm

BianchiCam wrote:What is this word, 'indicator' you speak of?
IIRC it's also called your fuel gauge. I have that right don't I?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:30 pm

BianchiCam wrote:What is this word, 'indicator' you speak of?
It's a device in a motor vehicle used by some to show the less skilled and insightful motorists around them what they are already bloody well doing! :roll:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011