McCarrs Creek Road Upgrade in September 2013

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

McCarrs Creek Road Upgrade in September 2013

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:34 pm

Through the new Go Fix! app I reported a Fix request for McCarrs creek road, off Mona Vale road and part of the Akuna Bay route. It was deferred to the RMS and today I got a response.

I am told that in September, weather pending, the McCarrs Creek will be resurfaced - along with Liberator General San Martin Drive.
Wow - if the Akuna bay loop becomes as good as the West Head Rd that will really be something.

I also asked about the shoulder on Mona Vale road which was left unsurfaced, particularly coming out of St Ives alongside the St Ives Showground and apparantly this will be completed by the contractor "Downer".

Improving this will make it safer and also more attractive, the motorists would love it to have the cyclists nicely split and on the less travelled routes - likewise this is safer for cyclists.
Cycling is in my BNA

Hergest

Re: McCarrs Creek Road Upgrade in September 2013

Postby Hergest » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:59 pm

That is all excellent news.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:31 pm

Woooooooooooooo!

That is all.

Jim

rogan

Postby rogan » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:00 pm

Bit of a sceptic on this. RMS seem to resurface out of the way and low car use areas very well - eg West Head Rd and Lane Cove Nat Park, also the bottom of the west side of Berowra Waters.

But Bobbin Head which was done about the same time as West Head, was done the cheap way (and was positively dangerous when first done). Akuna Bay was last done a year or two before West Head, and is also poor. Roads that go anywhere or have any thoroughfare purpose get the crap treatment, seemingly to discourage bikes. Eg. Galston Gorge, Bobbin Head, Akuna Bay, McCarrs Creek Rd (frankly bad all the way to Bayview).

I think they are happy for us to ride around West Head, but other roads with more cars, well they can't stop us, but don't see why the should encourage us. If my theory is wrong, why resurface low traffic roads to high quality, but resurface higher traffic roads to low quality? It makes absolutely no sense.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:46 pm

fair point, Mona Vale got the hotmix treatment... and this is also what we like about westhead. They wont stop bikes but if they make good roads that are more attractive, the cyclists will naturally go to the places (unless they are ridiculously located).
Cycling is in my BNA

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:33 am

RMS kindly resurfaced the Old Pacific Hwy at Brooklyn (as you cross the ruver) earlier this year, turning one of the most atrocious sections of road into nice hotmix.
The local council has been busy doing New Line Rd and Old Northern Rd in Dural, and that is all nice hotmix now..

It would be great if Akuna Bay & Bobbin Head got the hotmix treatment. Bobbin Head in particular (Mt Colah side) is terrible.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Rich-Ti

Postby Rich-Ti » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:18 pm

I rode McCarr's yesterday - there's certainly a lot of spray marks on the road which would indicate and intention to resurface parts of it, but my (beyond amateur) guess from looking at the manner in which they're marked tells me it'll possibly be patchwork rather than a blanket resurface.

Here's hoping though eh?!

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:52 pm

Just a thought. The top surface is most likely determined by the vehicles using it. I dare say the smoother surfaces when wet become more slippery when ascending and descending by larger vehicles. I've spun the wheels on rougher pavement seals so I can only imagine how dangerous it would be for other users!
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

Rich-Ti

Postby Rich-Ti » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:18 pm

There was a sign up yesterday suggesting night works were in progress, but no sign of any actual work as yet.

I plan to ride it again on Wed so I'll report back then...

jonbays

Postby jonbays » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:45 am

Rode it today and all the paint is still there where it looks like they will be patching it up but all the lane work signs and barriers have gone so when it will be done and how well who knows?

Spaniel

Postby Spaniel » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:12 pm

From the Kuring-gai National Park website ....

Closure
Road works and disruption to McCarrs Creek Road, West Head Road, Liberator General San Martin Drive and Cottage Point Road
RMS are conducting road works to McCarrs Creek Road, West Head Road, Liberator General San Martin Drive and Cottage Point Road from 30th September to 22nd October 2013. Access will be available to Cottage Point, Akuna Bay boat ramp, d'Albora Marina - Akuna Bay, Illawong Bay and West Head. However motorists and cyclists may experience delays and diversions during the works and should allow extra time whilst travelling in this area.
Ends Tuesday 22 October, 11:50PM

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:29 pm

I rode the Akuna Bay circuit on the roadie for the first time a couple of weekends ago and I got a better appreciation for how bad it is.

If they do it to the same standard as West Head it will be awesome.

riles

Postby riles » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:32 am

can happily report that the decent of mccarrs creek has been resurfaced! going up sadly is yet to be done that appears to be happening on the 9th! fun decents ahead once all the work is completed

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:49 am

riles wrote:can happily report that the decent of mccarrs creek has been resurfaced! going up sadly is yet to be done that appears to be happening on the 9th! fun decents ahead once all the work is completed
Thanks for the information. Is it a decent descent now?

jonbays

Postby jonbays » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:10 pm

Rode up it yesterday and this is good the downhill side is definitely west head standard. Can't wait for the uphill side to be completed. I wouldn't push the descent till both sides are completed as coming off the edge of the new strip could be awkward but when its finished it will be great.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:27 pm

Well, subsequent to my last post that punishing descent to Akuna Bay I mentioned actually finished off my suspect Six13 frame. Loud creaking noises now every time I stand and pedal out of the saddle, with obvious flex at the upper carbon-alloy headtube join. :cry: C'est la vie.

I've just picked up a CAAD9 and once I've swapped all the bits over I'll be looking forward to heading out and checking out the new McCarrs Ck Rd paving.

Rich-Ti

Postby Rich-Ti » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:48 am

Rode it yesterday. One word: SUBLIME. I almost wanted to get off my bike and lick it (yes, really - almost). Damn thing is better than West Head now.

Even my wife was exclaiming at how nice it was to ride!

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:19 am

Lovely road surface, from the top entrance to the bottom entance. It is nice and fast though as it is new it may take a little time for the surface to prove itself before pushing to the limits.

The section from Mona Vale to the top National Park entrance is still a disaster so hopefully is next on the list.
Cycling is in my BNA

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:22 am

I have sent requests for information when (if?) the top section to Terrey Hills will be done, plus a few other thinks
• Squeeze point at Mona Vale / Forest Way (for Mona Vale eastbound cyclists)
• Breakdownlane resurfacing on the side of Monavale Road (where the main lanes were done, not the sides)
• If / When Liberator General San Martin Drive will be resurfaced
• Why my bike wont trigger the traffic lights at a road in St Ives :)

Also requested RMS and Warringah and Pittwater councils to increase signage in the area so that other road users are more conscious of cyclists and take less risks - being 1 minute late wont ruin the BBQ.
Cycling is in my BNA

riles

Postby riles » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:41 pm

word from a few of the guys i ride with, who rode up mccarrs on tuesday is that the road all the way to thai has been resurfaced: the road was closed all day tuesday - anyone got any light on this?

Rich-Ti

Postby Rich-Ti » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:11 am

Planning to ride it later today - will report back...

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:24 am

Let me know, I asked RMS last week for a status update on this section.
Cycling is in my BNA

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:27 am

I spoke to Downer the contractor and the final section of McCarrs Ck Rd should be finished today, if not then Monday. No road works on the weekend. Then they will commence resurfacing Liberator General San Martin Drive. :D

Rich-Ti

Postby Rich-Ti » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:30 am

biker jk wrote:...Then they will commence resurfacing Liberator General San Martin Drive. :D
*Does a jig around the office*

Awesome news.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:18 pm

So Liberator General San Martin Drive will be resurfaced between October 21 and 30. Work will be conducted on week days only between 6am and 6pm.