Basman Inspired

sjdonne

Basman Inspired

Postby sjdonne » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:48 pm

Here is an image of what will be my latest bicycle build, I scored this piece of outdoor metal furniture (I think) with the most perfect curves, and lots of them, with most of the frame laid out on the floor, the shape is looking like what I am after, my favorite chopper bicycle the "BasmanImage

Heres a pic of the rolling chassis, its coming along well except for the position of the bottom bracket, its too high, I wrongly measured up from the bottom tube instead of where the ground level is, turns out better for me coz the new bb set up looks heaps better, no image for it yet tho,

cray-

Re: Basman Inspired

Postby cray- » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:30 pm

Look forward to seeing more progress on this one.

Really need to ask Santa for a welder for Xmas.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:00 pm

I've got a welder but everyone is safer for it not being used on bicycles by my hand =D
SJD's looks like it's in good hands. With the higher BB a banana seat and sissy bar come to mind depending on leg length... but I'm sure you could flip the BB anywhere you wanted in that downtube area to suit.

Getting nearly a year on now for mine this month, I thought about bringing the Basman out for first Spring ride for a Friday cruiser commute, but the weather looks patchy rain tomorrow but fine all next week so may wait a few days longer. Daughter is taller so seat would have to move back, or remove it for a while and wait for the son to grow into it.

sjdonne

Postby sjdonne » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:30 pm

"CLEAVE" kinda finished, got to rebuild a rear 3 speed wheel with coaster brake, finish off the new handlebars, come up with a cool shifter set up, I have had it on the road and I must say its very comfortable, I said to my son when he took it for a spin "dont fall asleep riding it". What do you think "cray-", havent got you welder yet mate?. And "ELDAVO" love the Basman, like the Yellow, like that your daughter is so happy to be on a pushy, but mate, not to sure about the pink backpack haha

cray-

Postby cray- » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:12 pm

That looks the goods, the brake rotor chainring is a bit different, haven't seen that before. Needs some kind of suicide shifter for the 3 speed I reckon, not sure how, but I think it would suite the build. Some of those cream colored tyres like eldavo, to match the accents on the frame would look pretty good too.

No welder yet I'm afraid, been spending my pocket money on some wood working tools instead, Makita Sliding Compound Mitre Saw & a DeWalt Drill & Impact Driver set so I can knock up a few projects around the house and get started on my deck out back. Also shelves and benches for my little workshop so that when I do eventually get a welder I'll have somewhere to work.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:17 pm

Yeah that is a top build, has the British Racing Green look with the accents. Classier than ratty build you wouldn't have guessed from the parts pics!

sjdonne

Postby sjdonne » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:45 pm

Thanks Guys, I was looking for inspiration for a long time for a cog chainguard, I must have pushed that brake disc aside many times until I actually "looked" at it, I only had to grind about 4mm off two lugs to make it fit over the crank then drill 3 holes into the cog to match the disc then fit it with bolts and nuts with a couple of washes for spacers, ended up being about a 10 min job

cray-

Postby cray- » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:47 am

Impressive, I thought that was off the shelf not custom. No wonder I haven't seen one before, nice work!