[WARN: TMI/Graphical Text] Some help with some annoyingness

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
foo on patrol

Re: [WARN: TMI/Graphical Text] Some help with some annoyingn

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:32 am

I never had anyone else attack them, always did it myself but made sure needle was clean and just gritted my teeth and cursed and swore! :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:35 am

Tim wrote:
Brenchen wrote:That sounds good anyone else can voucher for this as well?
Sorbolene is good stuff. Free of perfumes and most chemical nasties, I use it on my face in winter for dry skin. I remember reading that it is as effective as any of the expensive moisturisers, and non-irritant. Never thought of using it on the other end. It should help prevent chaffing and saddle sores.... on the backside that is.
Yeah, I use it for my hands - I have a dry skin condition that flares up into major irritation at times. So always have QV creme handy and decided to try it as chamois creme.

Some generic brands of sorbolene I've tried are a bit runny, but Amcal chemists sell a 500ml tub for about $7 which has a good consistency, and at that price there is no reason to be stingy with it.

Since it is water-based and non-greasy, it washes out easily. QV creme is also available in tubes and is available almost anywhere there is a pharmacy. Both these attributes are important to me while I'm on tour.

Oddly, many chamois cremes contain lanolin (wool grease) which is a known skin irritant to people who suffer allergies.

Paraderm always has a place in my touring first aid kit. In NZ it saved me from going crazy with itching sandfly bites.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Brenchen

Postby Brenchen » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:26 pm

Thanks Ron, thats excellent and very helpful information to know. I just boight myself a tub of chamois creme to try out.

I like the teetree smell though ;)
Brendan

TimW

Postby TimW » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:32 pm

Brenchen wrote:Thanks Ron, thats excellent and very helpful information to know. I just boight myself a tub of chamois creme to try out.

Has it popped yet??? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Brenchen

Postby Brenchen » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:51 pm

TimW wrote:
Brenchen wrote:Thanks Ron, thats excellent and very helpful information to know. I just boight myself a tub of chamois creme to try out.

Has it popped yet??? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Still raised, but no pain, little bit itchy, and no, nothing's popped yet.
Brendan

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:34 pm

TimW wrote: Has it popped yet??? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Sicko. :lol: :lol: :lol:

TimW

Postby TimW » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:37 pm

Tim wrote:
TimW wrote: Has it popped yet??? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Sicko. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

cp123

Postby cp123 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:58 pm

post a photo of it.... :twisted: and then go and read Tim's Mt Vesuvius previous zit thread.

Brenchen

Postby Brenchen » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:10 pm

cp123 wrote:post a photo of it.... :twisted: and then go and read Tim's Mt Vesuvius previous zit thread.
:roll: Slightly concerned...
Brendan

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:32 pm

cp123 wrote:post a photo of it.... :twisted: and then go and read Tim's Mt Vesuvius previous zit thread.
What a load of pus! :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:00 am

While we're all sharing info about our nether reigons :oops: I've noticed that I get chafing of my bum cheeks (where my bum joins my legs) when I wear leg warmers. I've tried different brands of knicks, leg warmers and even saddles but problem persists. It doesn't seem to happen when wearing knee warmers though! :?: :!: :o

RonK

[WARN: TMI/Graphical Text] Some help with some annoyingness

Postby RonK » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:22 am

Ross wrote:While we're all sharing info about our nether reigons :oops: I've noticed that I get chafing of my bum cheeks (where my bum joins my legs) when I wear leg warmers. I've tried different brands of knicks, leg warmers and even saddles but problem persists. It doesn't seem to happen when wearing knee warmers though! :?: :!: :o
You need longer legs or shorter leg warmers - or just don't pull them up so far. 8)
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Desmo

Postby Desmo » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:22 am

On this topic, what is the general view on shaving your perineum as prevention tool? When I had a bad saddle sore, my doctor prescribed antibiotics and an antiseptic cream and also suggested that shaving would help. I assumed it make it worse as ingrown hairs would be more likely? Any thoughts or experience here?

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:45 pm

I too suffered the same, it turned out that my saddle height was causing me to hip pivot and the soft skin in the groin rubbed and became sore and inflammed, so bad I took up running till they lessoned in size.
During this whole time I have been using liberal amounts of SUDOCREM, and although I was sore it was generally managable.
I have since dropped the saddle and am putting weight more on the sit bones, however the knees are now playing up! Thats another thread :D
I have used the hot towel method, paw paw balm and a good old squeeze and surgical spirits, they are now all but gone and I feel they are going in the the right direction, AWAY.
Good luck..

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:25 pm

and for your viewing pleasure.... :twisted: this was on the news website yesterday... it's about 5 mins of your life you'll never get back if you want to sit through it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guHdJ4zv0h4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

imagine having a lumpy bit down there for 25 years.... :shock:

matagi

Postby matagi » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:09 am

Desmo wrote:On this topic, what is the general view on shaving your perineum as prevention tool? When I had a bad saddle sore, my doctor prescribed antibiotics and an antiseptic cream and also suggested that shaving would help. I assumed it make it worse as ingrown hairs would be more likely? Any thoughts or experience here?
Ingrown hairs could be a problem if you shave. I would suggest trimming the hair in the area rather than shaving.

As a prevention, you can't go past zinc and castor oil cream - cheap and readily available in any supermarket or pharmacy, just look in the baby section.

Parker

Postby Parker » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:07 pm

Or you could wax and then use an ingrown hair treatment for the first five days.

No soap wash is good, the wash without the soap that is.

I get an ingrown hair in the crack of my butt frequently and usually requires surgery, I could have the whole thing removed, they cut down very deep and the healing time can be like 6-8 weeks, so I'm trying lazer hair removal first, it's only a small area but could be worthwhile.