BianchiCam

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby BianchiCam » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:34 pm

Aka 'confirmator'
Blink and you miss it....

kyap

Postby kyap » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:38 am

Close encounter this morning commuting to work. Heading to Redfern Station direction on Cope St. Roundabout of Raglan St & Cope St. Heading straight. White Hilux coming from left without slowing down (I thought it was slowing down). Was already riding in the middle of roundbout heading straight ahead. He jammed his brake, stop in time just few inches from my left leg. I was shocked!! I slowed down and look behind in shock and anger and he just drove away.

Considered very lucky that he stopped in time else I'm gone. There weren't any cars around that time and I was wearing bright fluro green vest and yet he can't see me. :? :? :?

Usually I had my vid cam on but I forgot to charge it ytd. Else, I'd should have captured the moment. Man....that Hilux big front bar less than 1m from my vision...it was so huge!! brrrrr....

What I've learned this morning? Gotta be careful at roundbout; don't always expect car give way even though oncoming cyclist from the right.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:40 am

kyap wrote:don't always expect car give way even though oncoming cyclist from the right.
Ride like noone has seen you.

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:01 am

kyap wrote:Close encounter this morning commuting to work. Heading to Redfern Station direction on Cope St. Roundabout of Raglan St & Cope St. Heading straight. White Hilux coming from left without slowing down (I thought it was slowing down). Was already riding in the middle of roundbout heading straight ahead. He jammed his brake, stop in time just few inches from my left leg. I was shocked!! I slowed down and look behind in shock and anger and he just drove away.

Considered very lucky that he stopped in time else I'm gone. There weren't any cars around that time and I was wearing bright fluro green vest and yet he can't see me. :? :? :?

Usually I had my vid cam on but I forgot to charge it ytd. Else, I'd should have captured the moment. Man....that Hilux big front bar less than 1m from my vision...it was so huge!! brrrrr....

What I've learned this morning? Gotta be careful at roundbout; don't always expect car give way even though oncoming cyclist from the right.
Yikes you poor bugger - sometimes it doesn't matter what you are wearing some road users are turned off and even when you think they have looked you in the eye they still drive out in front of you.
OI onya bike!!!

kyap

Postby kyap » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:05 am

Gordonhooker wrote: Yikes you poor bugger - sometimes it doesn't matter what you are wearing some road users are turned off and even when you think they have looked you in the eye they still drive out in front of you.
Spoke to my work mate about it and he had the same happened to him not long ago but different is he was driving a Corolla!! Same situation :x

Oh well...just gotta be more alert next time. 8)

Undertow

Postby Undertow » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:58 am

kyap wrote: What I've learned this morning? Gotta be careful at roundbout; don't always expect car give way even though oncoming cyclist from the right.
There is no requirement to give way to traffic coming from the right at a roundabout. The only requirement is to give way to traffic already on the roundabout, which means you should approach the roundabout at a speed where you can stop if someone else enters it before you get there.

I think the problem in cases like this one is that the driver does see you, but underestimates your speed so they think they'll be on the roundabout before you are.

n.b. I'm not trying to defend the motorist here, just trying to explain why this seems to happen so often.

cowled

Postby cowled » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:33 pm

cowled wrote:I just saw this on youtube. Some guy by the nic of Tomek K uploads footage from his dashcam which captures a very dangerous overtake by a dump truck passing two cyclists. This needs to be reported to police. Anyone in Adelaide have any idea who the cyclists might be or where this might have occurred? The video has a date and time stamp, so looks like it happened yesterday (Saturday) at about 9:30am.

I can't make out the registration plates but the signage on the truck reads Garden Grove 8251 1111 (I think).

This guy needs to be charged with "overtaking when not safe to do so" at the very least. I'd push for "driving with undue care and attention".

http://youtu.be/MUm_EuFbJ4M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: Yep, found their website at http://www.gardengrove.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and their number is definitely 08 8251 1111. Email is enquiries@gardengrove.com.au. Time to hit them with a few emails. Btw, does anyone know how to download video from YouTube? It would be a good idea to have a copy in case the uploader pulls the video.
Well, I tried! I sent this video footage to the South Australian Director of Public Prosecutions who told me to contact the South Australian Police. The Sergeant I got in contact with was very keen to take this further and commence an investigation with a view to lay charges against the truck driver. Unfortunately, the number plate is not clear in the footage and the Sergeant needs the cyclists themselves to come forward and make a complaint before he can take it further.

Essentially, if they had a witness to the incident, they would have enough evidence to obtain a warrant to collect the original footage from the uploader (presumably with higher resolution) which might enable them to clearly identify the registration number and lead to charges against the driver.

So, if anyone is able to find those cyclists, please tell them they've got a sympathetic cop who would love to hear from them so he can lay charges against the Garden Grove truck driver.

Here is the offending truck. Take note of the distance between his front left wheel and the kerb. There are two cyclists in that space!

Image 2015 Goal: 2,500km

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:58 pm

cowled wrote:
cowled wrote:I just saw this on youtube. Some guy by the nic of Tomek K uploads footage from his dashcam which captures a very dangerous overtake by a dump truck passing two cyclists. This needs to be reported to police. Anyone in Adelaide have any idea who the cyclists might be or where this might have occurred? The video has a date and time stamp, so looks like it happened yesterday (Saturday) at about 9:30am.

I can't make out the registration plates but the signage on the truck reads Garden Grove 8251 1111 (I think).

This guy needs to be charged with "overtaking when not safe to do so" at the very least. I'd push for "driving with undue care and attention".

http://youtu.be/MUm_EuFbJ4M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: Yep, found their website at http://www.gardengrove.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and their number is definitely 08 8251 1111. Email is enquiries@gardengrove.com.au. Time to hit them with a few emails. Btw, does anyone know how to download video from YouTube? It would be a good idea to have a copy in case the uploader pulls the video.
Well, I tried! I sent this video footage to the South Australian Director of Public Prosecutions who told me to contact the South Australian Police. The Sergeant I got in contact with was very keen to take this further and commence an investigation with a view to lay charges against the truck driver. Unfortunately, the number plate is not clear in the footage and the Sergeant needs the cyclists themselves to come forward and make a complaint before he can take it further.

Essentially, if they had a witness to the incident, they would have enough evidence to obtain a warrant to collect the original footage from the uploader (presumably with higher resolution) which might enable them to clearly identify the registration number and lead to charges against the driver.

So, if anyone is able to find those cyclists, please tell them they've got a sympathetic cop who would love to hear from them so he can lay charges against the Garden Grove truck driver.

Here is the offending truck. Take note of the distance between his front left wheel and the kerb. There are two cyclists in that space!
Surely the uploader (assuming it was their own footage) is both a witness and is also able to provide the footage without the need for a warrant. As long as he/she is willing to testify in court (should the case get that far) then I'd expect that'd be enough. The only advantage to having the cyclists involved is that they might be more motivated. The statement would be fundamentally the same from each of them: I saw a truck being driven dangerously which was placing lives at risk.

Cheers,

Cameron

cowled

Postby cowled » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:16 pm

ironhanglider wrote:Surely the uploader (assuming it was their own footage) is both a witness and is also able to provide the footage without the need for a warrant. As long as he/she is willing to testify in court (should the case get that far) then I'd expect that'd be enough. The only advantage to having the cyclists involved is that they might be more motivated. The statement would be fundamentally the same from each of them: I saw a truck being driven dangerously which was placing lives at risk.
Cameron, given that the uploader called them "a$$hole cyclists" I seriously doubt his willingness to make a complaint to police.
Image 2015 Goal: 2,500km

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:28 pm

cowled wrote:
ironhanglider wrote:Surely the uploader (assuming it was their own footage) is both a witness and is also able to provide the footage without the need for a warrant. As long as he/she is willing to testify in court (should the case get that far) then I'd expect that'd be enough. The only advantage to having the cyclists involved is that they might be more motivated. The statement would be fundamentally the same from each of them: I saw a truck being driven dangerously which was placing lives at risk.
Cameron, given that the uploader called them "a$$hole cyclists" I seriously doubt his willingness to make a complaint to police.
Perhaps not then... :oops:

Cheers,

Cameron

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:09 pm

This from my morning commute.
After a few crappy days of wind, wind, rain and more wind. It was great to get the bike out to work again.
Not stupidly bad but still bloody annoying when people show no patience at all. Many drivers are great and wait behind. Just the nobby heads like this monkey....

As far as approaching the police regarding an earlier vid with the car cutting me off on the roundabout. Progresses as follows.

Tues 15-10-13 Went to police station and gave a disc with the video (not the one on you tube with the writing)
Cops says give him a memory stick or email it.
Weds 16-10-13 Nothing
Thursday 17-10-13 Nothing. Sent an email saying I can get it on memory stick if it helps. Also email the vid (shortened even more to allow file size) Email returned. Police servers wont accept!
Why tell me to email it then you nonce?
Friday 18-10-10 Nothing. No email response from the Leading Constable. Sent another email saying I will drop off memory stick tomorrow

The copper seemed pretty apathetic at the time. I'm going to bark a bit and see what happens. Maybe get a relationship of sorts happening and make him my 'go to man' in the future, maybe?

Anyhoo....

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:34 pm

BianchiCam wrote:This from my morning commute.
After a few crappy days of wind, wind, rain and more wind. It was great to get the bike out to work again.
Not stupidly bad but still bloody annoying when people show no patience at all. Many drivers are great and wait behind. Just the nobby heads like this monkey....

Both motorists are complete knobs. Both crossing doublelines, just one a bit less over than the other and he shaved you.

Law's the law's the law. You know - red light, green light stuff :idea: . Both should have slowed up well back and waited until either:

1. there was room to pass safely (slow speed) without crossing the lines; or
2. they were over the crest and had broken lines.

Simple really, no rocket science involved :roll: Both deserve a TIN.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:14 pm

Well, I dropped off another copy of the incident with the roundabout again, but rather than an empty email inbox when I got home, I received this........

Quote Hi Cameron, I can advise I have viewed the items you dropped in and can confirm I will investigate your complaint on return from my annual leave in 4 weeks time.

In the mean time could you pls email me a brief statement as to the circumstances. Please include the date & time it occurred. The vehicle description and registration number and a description of the driver ( if possible).

As with any investigation we will need to prove identity, ie. who was driving the vehicle to enable a succesful prosecution.

So maybe a few emails and visits to la place de cops may actually come to something.

Cheers,

Cam

ikm

Postby ikm » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:01 pm

Is there only one person working at your local police station? Surely someone else could do something now rather than waiting a month?

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:34 pm

Hope so!

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:22 am

BianchiCam wrote:"As with any investigation we will need to prove identity, ie. who was driving the vehicle to enable a succesful prosecution."
Ask him if this also applies to speed and red light camera's - which it doesn't - so why is your case any different?

the onus is on the owner of the vehicle to supply details of who was driving, if I remember correctly.

Kev.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:57 pm

Kev365428 wrote:
BianchiCam wrote:"As with any investigation we will need to prove identity, ie. who was driving the vehicle to enable a succesful prosecution."
Ask him if this also applies to speed and red light camera's - which it doesn't - so why is your case any different?

the onus is on the owner of the vehicle to supply details of who was driving, if I remember correctly.

Kev.
You remember correctly. Default position is that the owner is the driver, unless it is a corporation, in which case if they fail to provide the driver's details there are fines and their vehicles' registrations are all suspended and their business effectively stops until such details are provided.

However, eliminating this furphy is one of the reasons I like to have a "chat" with the driver if possible to get them on camera. If they say something stupid, so much the better.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:09 pm

BianchiCam wrote:Well, I dropped off another copy of the incident with the roundabout again, but rather than an empty email inbox when I got home, I received this........

Quote Hi Cameron, I can advise I have viewed the items you dropped in and can confirm I will investigate your complaint on return from my annual leave in 4 weeks time.

In the mean time could you pls email me a brief statement as to the circumstances. Please include the date & time it occurred. The vehicle description and registration number and a description of the driver ( if possible).

As with any investigation we will need to prove identity, ie. who was driving the vehicle to enable a succesful prosecution.

So maybe a few emails and visits to la place de cops may actually come to something.

Cheers,

Cam
Sorry to be harsh, but why are you not using Oxford's incident reporting template and sending via snail mail? It's proven to work.

Why is this so? It creates a paper trail they *have* to deal with, because it provides an evidence trail of an incident report being made and exposes them to being asked why they did nothing about a reported incident. Turning up in person before you've created the paper trail and had a response is a waste of time - too easy to fob you off or bin your report.

Anything delivered by Australia Post goes into a correspondence register at the point of receipt and ensures it goes into the system.

:idea: Work the system.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:19 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Anything delivered by Australia Post goes into a correspondence register at the point of receipt and ensures it goes into the system.

:idea: Work the system.
In Qld, there is an online reporting system which gets officially logged and requires a formal response. I log issues this way for this vary reason. Thankfully I've only had 1 in the last few years. I included a link to my YT vid here: http://youtu.be/6sJeHzHJtOE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A few days later, I was sent a written response, hand signed by the local police station, saying the driver had been given an official warning. At the very least, the incident and his rego is logged in the system and will bite him if he re-offends in the future.

rebilda

Postby rebilda » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:42 pm

kyap wrote:Close encounter this morning commuting to work. Heading to Redfern Station direction on Cope St. Roundabout of Raglan St & Cope St. Heading straight. White Hilux coming from left without slowing down (I thought it was slowing down). Was already riding in the middle of roundbout heading straight ahead. He jammed his brake, stop in time just few inches from my left leg. I was shocked!! I slowed down and look behind in shock and anger and he just drove away.

Same thing happened to me a while back, except the vehicle was one of those dump truck that pick up bins at the front and lift them over the cab, tipping the rubbish into a chute (It was BIG)

At least he apologised....
My Garage = Restored Paino - the "Fixie" - Giant Trance X2 - Azzurri Forza Pro Di2 - GT Avalanche 1 & 2

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:30 pm

stretts wrote:
arkle wrote:
That is amazingly clear. What kind of camera are you using?

arkle

PS just been out on the Tuesday Night Espresso ride - every week, usually Mt Lofty or Norton Summit and back - you interested?
Hey Arkle,

Im using a mobius action cam :)
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1124629875" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This?

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:55 pm

rebilda wrote:

Same thing happened to me a while back, except the vehicle was one of those dump truck that pick up bins at the front and lift them over the cab, tipping the rubbish into a chute (It was BIG)

At least he apologised....
I had the same thing happen a month or two ago. Little old lady in a Golf. She actually hit me, and ran over my foot. Second ride on my new Scalpel 29er. :evil: Her reactions were very slow, she carried me a couple of car lengths on her bonnet before stopping, despite her slow speed.

No way she was going to apologise. Supposedly it was my fault for not indicating (which besides being untrue was quite irrelevant, as you'll see), wasn't going to accept anything I said about yielding to whoever was already in the roundabout. So I told her very well, if you won't listen to me, then we'll have to involve the police and they can explain it to you. Got called all sorts of names for that including "bully". Told her to go park in an adjacent car park (with which she complied reluctantly) and we'll wait for them together.

Police arrived within 10 minutes. She ran her story, which was that I suddenly turned right and across her path from straight ahead without indicating. This was perfect, since I had actually entered from her right, and could have proved it from my GPS trace if required, but my son's testimony was enough.

So she sunk herself. She just didn't look, and I'll admit to some satisfaction when she was forced to admit that. Cop told her she was unbelievably lucky I wasn't a large truck. She had incorrectly assumed the street was one way.

She got a TIN and, on my raising the concern with the officers, her licence withdrawn pending examination of her fitness to drive. Family had to drive her home. They had been gunning for me when they arrived. They soon changed their tune when the facts emerged.

She was 89.

Foot is fine and bike was undamaged.

I was very lucky. I had assumed because of her very slow speed she was slowing to give way, and turned my attention off her to the other traffic. She wasn't slowing, she was driving at that pace because she couldn't process the environment any faster it seems.

A motorcyclist was killed by a truck in similar circumstances in the exact same intersection last year.

stretts

Postby stretts » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:05 am

Le Mong wrote:
stretts wrote:
arkle wrote:
That is amazingly clear. What kind of camera are you using?

arkle

PS just been out on the Tuesday Night Espresso ride - every week, usually Mt Lofty or Norton Summit and back - you interested?
Hey Arkle,

Im using a mobius action cam :)
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1124629875" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This?

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk
This is the manufacturers Ebay page: http://stores.ebay.com/eletoponline365/ ... 6055299015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But yes, same thing :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:11 am

not a good car park. been there since yesterday morning
fig tree pocket, brisbane

red lighter runner, george st, brisbane

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:31 pm

Ok,
Sad times to have to write this but I have had my first ever ‘that was just too close’ and I have been lucky.
I have no camera; it was a mirror brushing against the leg, which resulted in no loss of control for me and her. I have no physical marks, neither does my bike and neither does her car, probably, I wouldn’t know; she didn’t stop.
It was an old Doris, I have no idea of her looks other than she was an elderly lady, the car was a recent model Toyota Corolla white sedan in the ascent sport trim. I have the REGO too.
I am sure she is blissfully unaware of the whole thing. As she left the traffic island she hugged the exiting curb very close and then drove up the bike lane, straddling the white line until the lane ended, she then went straight to the middle line before countering her steering and ending up somewhere in the middle of the lane as she disappeared over the crest of the bridge. The event was witnessed by my wife who was about 3-5 metres back but did not realise contact had been made.
I am not concerned about this woman potentially losing her licence or independence at all as this could have been a very different post. The question is do I have a leg to stand on as far as pursuing this he said/ she said event?