Question of Curiosity...

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
DoubleSpeeded

Question of Curiosity...

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:39 pm

Any evidence that proves the repetitive knee + hip etc movements wear away cartilage?

moosterbounce

Re: Question of Curiosity...

Postby moosterbounce » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:35 pm

Not with me. Slightly over 40 female, mostly overweight but muscly and broad too. Both knees recently fixed of cartlidge (meniscus) issues. Surgeon said the rest looks like it belongs to a 20 year old and to keep riding as that and swimming are gold for me.

I have evidence in 2 knees that suggests Hockey, soccer, volleyball...and all the other crash tackle sports I played up to my 20's was bad for cartlidge!!

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:00 pm

i figured with all the repetitive movement of joints in cycling... may not be a benefit.

hmmm thats good news i guess

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:04 pm

DoubleSpeeded wrote:Any evidence that proves the repetitive knee + hip etc movements wear away cartilage?
It's all relative and depends on the condition, after all, cartilage is a complex biological structure with "wear" characteristics very different to a linear wear system like metal on metal. When used within limits, they remain durable. With aging, various specific disease conditions and focalised injuries, they can degenerate (wear) at a greater rate. For example, if you've had an intra-articular fracture, the cartilage will become prone to degeneration (wear) with use at the point of precious damage. Yet, if you splint the joint ie. No movement, the joint will stiffen, atrophy and degenerate. So the point is, move in moderation and avoid excessive loading.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:09 pm

DoubleSpeeded wrote:i figured with all the repetitive movement of joints in cycling... may not be a benefit.
hmmm thats good news i guess
No always so. Genetics can also play a part, leading to large variations in people's health outcome. Some can abuse their body and live to 90 while others perish early.

The factors for non-beneficial joint movements are,
- Weight loading
- Frequency
- Speed

Carried out in excess will always bring on more problems. Moderation is the word.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:18 pm

DoubleSpeeded wrote:Any evidence that proves the repetitive knee + hip etc movements wear away cartilage?
Yes, there is plenty of evidence that weight bearing repetitive movement causes joint wear. Cycling (and swimming) are not weight bearing, and are recommended for people (like me) who have worn their knees out by trekking and like activities.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:47 am

RonK wrote:
Yes, there is plenty of evidence that weight bearing repetitive movement causes joint wear. Cycling (and swimming) are not weight bearing, and are recommended for people (like me) who have worn their knees out by trekking and like activities.
Cycling/swimming..

what about jogging?
Can't seem to find anything on that.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:39 am

DoubleSpeeded wrote:what about jogging?
Lots. Progressively increasingly weight bearing with impact. Most traumatic of the three but best for stronger bones. When sufficiently healthy, cross train for best health benefit. Too much of anything is never a good thing.

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:18 pm

sogood wrote:
DoubleSpeeded wrote:what about jogging?
Lots. Progressively increasingly weight bearing with impact. Most traumatic of the three but best for stronger bones. When sufficiently healthy, cross train for best health benefit. Too much of anything is never a good thing.
Thankyou very much Confucius :wink:

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:20 pm

20 years of running did more damage to my knees than 20 years of cycling.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:32 pm

My own experience is that not doing anything at all for 4 years on reconstructed ACL knees (both) with patella tendonitis on one side and serious cartilage damage under the kneecap on the other (with surgeon/physios advice to not run ever again) is that before recommencing cycling my knees hurt constantly and my Vastus Medialis Oblique (inside quad muscle) had atrophied significantly. Following 18 months of steadily increasing cycling (now doing over 300km a week average at a decent clip) my knees are the best they have been in over a decade, I can crouch and stand unassisted (no hope before) and do long hard rides, with sprints with no issues at all, although my left leg is overall weaker due to the patellar surface damage), it also helps that I lost 20kgs during this.
My Physio was astounded at the difference and it is all down to having balanced well developed muscle supporting the joint. When I started cycling again my knees bloody hurt and I had to push through this for a while (say 3 months) at a steady pace to strengthen muscle- basically I treated it like a rehabilitation program (and we know these tend to hurt).

Just my 2c worth.

Finally a lot of people with minor knees problems (NOT serious cartilage damage) give up as it hurts when using the joint ,which leads to degeneration of the joint further.

Preventative use of fish oil, glucosamine (etc) and boron is also vital.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:40 pm

^ a doctor once told me that taking glucosamine to help cartilage is like eating hair to cure baldness

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:55 pm

rkelsen wrote:^ a doctor once told me that taking glucosamine to help cartilage is like eating hair to cure baldness
L O L!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

nothing wrong with a bit of hope if there is.... none?

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:34 am

A doctor once told me taking glucosamine and fish will not hurt me and may help my joints (ie inconclusive evidence). To me that is 51% weighted towards taking them (and they cost next to nothing).

Multivitamin tablets is another story

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:41 am

DoubleSpeeded wrote:...nothing wrong with a bit of hope if there is.... none?
People can't take the truth, so hope is indeed good. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: