2013 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

TailWind

Re: 2013 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby TailWind » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:18 pm

So, following on from the "How was your commute..." thread:
jasonc wrote:
eldavo wrote:It reads to me that he cycled to and from work with a stop-off on the from.
PS: Does this affect business tax deductions on your bicycle registration or something?
the problem is a journey occurred on the bike that did not replace another form of transport. Where's gretaboy????
just the endomondo ACF commuter challenge (TW is far enough in front of me that it probably doesn't matter)
So this was for all intents and purposes a normal day for myself and Mrs TW, bar the appointment, which meant I left work early, and Mrs TW picked up the kids early.
So yesterday:
Morning:
TW: Home -> CBD
Mrs TW: Home -> School (Fitzroy North, borders Carlton North) -> Home

Afternoon:
TW: CBD -> Carlton North (Appointment) -> Home
Mrs TW: Home -> Fitzroy North (School) -> Carlton North (about 3 blocks to appointment) -> Home

Mrs TW's car trips to Fitzroy North take place every school day to drop off/fetch kiddos regardless. My bike commutes are generally along different schedules and routes altogether, other than when events/appointments call for meeting up somewhere else..

It'd be a shame if you couldn't meet up with your spouse/partner/buddies somewhere mid-commute because they're in a car, and you all heading back in the same direction afterwards means you lose the commute mileage...seems a bit draconian :mrgreen:

Anyway, we can use the input on this to lay down the law for 2014 :mrgreen:

Hmm, I think gretaboy must be off on his most deserved 3 week break...(not that it helps us much)
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:29 pm

Subscribed ;)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:39 pm

gretaboy must be on that break otherwise he'd be all over this

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:11 pm

ok. westab posted this in the 2012 thread:
I have another simple definition: "Any trip by bicycle that replaces one that would have been by another transport means (ie car)"

Yes it too does need refining but it works for me.
So riding to work, friends place, shops, school, etc.. when there is no car leg done from the same start and finishing point is counted; if the start and finishing point have our car at both then it is not.
So a Friday night hit out when I simply want to go for a ride (even when the car is at home) becuase the car is at the start and finish doesn't get counted but going to the shop to get some milk and going the long way round is. Also if I ride one of the kids to school and Mrs Westab drives the other two from home to school is not counted but the trip to work from school is (if they all ride then it is - no car at school).
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=47627&hilit=2012+e ... 50#p786199" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

important section bolded

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:57 am

jasonc wrote:ok. westab posted this in the 2012 thread:
I have another simple definition: "Any trip by bicycle that replaces one that would have been by another transport means (ie car)"

Yes it too does need refining but it works for me.
So riding to work, friends place, shops, school, etc.. when there is no car leg done from the same start and finishing point is counted; if the start and finishing point have our car at both then it is not.
So a Friday night hit out when I simply want to go for a ride (even when the car is at home) becuase the car is at the start and finish doesn't get counted but going to the shop to get some milk and going the long way round is. Also if I ride one of the kids to school and Mrs Westab drives the other two from home to school is not counted but the trip to work from school is (if they all ride then it is - no car at school).
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=47627&hilit=2012+e ... 50#p786199" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

important section bolded
The points I was trying to make:
- The car trip was not prompted by the appointment (near the school), as Mrs TW drives that way daily anyway to drop/pickup kids at school - 19km each way.
- The appointment was enroute (well, one of the route options open to me anyway) during a regular commuting day for me

So, by your definition, anytime I choose to meet up enroute with the family on one of my commutes back home, my commute becomes "tainted" by the car presence at the meeting point and later at home, therefore invalidating the second part of the commute.
I really don't think that's the spirit of westab's definition above, and would probably sour the challenge for most people...

I would perfectly agree with you and the westab scenario, where we, for example we decide to visit my brother. We're both at home, wife takes the car, I decide I need the excercise and jump on the bike.
After visiting, we both head back home, Mrs TW in car, me on bike.

Oh, and here's my contribution from 2012:
TailWind wrote:
jasonc wrote:if you are start at home and finish at work (or vice-versa). or travelling from 1 destination to another in a non-organised* ride then it's commuting. anything else is sport i reckon.
e.g. coot-tha challenge was sport
taking the long way to work is commuting.

*there's obviously some exceptions here but if you're doing a touring trip around australia, is that really commuting?
Here's my attempt at a definition of a bicycle commute:

"A bike ride undertaken to one or more destinations for any purpose other than the ride itself"

Could probably use refining :idea:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:11 am

we've both thrown our opinion in. we need an adjudicator. the leader of the challenge will get the final vote. kms will stand for the moment

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:22 am

jasonc wrote:we've both thrown our opinion in. we need an adjudicator. the leader of the challenge will get the final vote. kms will stand for the moment
gretaboy, where are you??? ...discontent in the ranks! :mrgreen:

westab

Postby westab » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:32 am

Oh Boy this is getting way too technical - JasonC I would count all of those kms; "my rules" are more like guidelines anyway and are basically for me to figure out what is a commute and what isn't. (Que - the inner engineer and rules thing)

Its just a bit of fun and to provide motivation to ride.

In the end if you feel it's a commute put it down - I know for sure that I won't be loosing any sleep over it. And none of us are going to loose the sheep station over it either.

The most important things are - stay safe and enjoy your ride. :D

ps. ox and I are still chasing i'm looking at a 450-500 km month :mrgreen:
Last edited by westab on Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:35 am

(engineering background here too)

there's a margin between TW and I that is possible for me to bring back, but I need all the help I can get

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:52 am

My quick read of this situation is this:

TW rode to work as normal, however on the way home took a slightly different route to meet the wife for an appointment. From there TW rode home. TW's wife drove the car to and from the appointment. Is this correct??

If I have read it correct, then I see no issue with it.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:38 am

:cry:

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:48 am

If there was an issue...then everyone, myself included, who tack on "extra" k's on their commute should disregard and not include them as part of the morning or afternoon commute as these extra k's are really "training k's" and not commute k's :)

I also remember last year, Simon rode from Sydney to Nelson Bay (300+ ride) whilst the family drove in their car. This was raised about whether it should be included as a commute ride or not. The current top three in the current challenge saw no issue with this being a commute. I dont see this being any different to what has occurred with TW.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:00 am

gretaboy wrote:If there was an issue...then everyone, myself included, who tack on "extra" k's on their commute should disregard and not include them as part of the morning or afternoon commute as these extra k's are really "training k's" and not commute k's :)

I also remember last year, Simon rode from Sydney to Nelson Bay (300+ ride) whilst the family drove in their car. This was raised about whether it should be included as a commute ride or not. The current top three in the current challenge saw no issue with this being a commute. I dont see this being any different to what has occurred with TW.
but that wasn't affecting top 3. I'm just being a sooky la-la

simonn

Postby simonn » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:03 pm

jasonc wrote:
gretaboy wrote:If there was an issue...then everyone, myself included, who tack on "extra" k's on their commute should disregard and not include them as part of the morning or afternoon commute as these extra k's are really "training k's" and not commute k's :)

but that wasn't affecting top 3. I'm just being a sooky la-la
It was at the time. IIRC, the contest was between gretaboy and myself at that point.

IIRC, the vibe then was "any ride where you are transporting yourself counts".

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:27 pm

gretaboy wrote:My quick read of this situation is this:

TW rode to work as normal, however on the way home took a slightly different route to meet the wife for an appointment. From there TW rode home. TW's wife drove the car to and from the appointment. Is this correct??

If I have read it correct, then I see no issue with it.
Yep, read correctly. In addition, the contested car trip happens to that part of town anyway (regardless of the appointment), because Mrs TW drops/fetches kids on a daily basis.
Anyhow, my sentiment in this matter is that we commute by bike because we enjoy it and want to commute by bike as often as possible/feasible...the challenge should reflect this positive aspect... :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:28 pm

TailWind wrote:Anyhow, my sentiment in this matter is that we commute by bike because we enjoy it and want to commute by bike as often as possible/feasible...the challenge should reflect this positive aspect... :)
+1

Just looking for any advantage to catch you, but it's not happening!

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:10 pm

TailWind wrote: Anyhow, my sentiment in this matter is that we commute by bike because we enjoy it ...... :)
On some days, many days, I wonder if I am simply stupid or mad.....as there is no enjoyment in the middle of winter getting rained on...nor trying to battle 30+ k/h headwinds for 45 k's or so

but today, after a few weeks off (thought you blokes would have caught me by now) I did enjoy my commute....35 degree heat on my way home today may have me thinking I am mad again...BUT...and it is a big butt...I will take the heat over a wet cold day anyday

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:42 am

gretaboy wrote: thought you blokes would have caught me by now
You could stop riding for the remainder of the year and I'd still have difficulty catching you...shall we put it to the test ?? :mrgreen:
Last edited by TailWind on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:47 am

I have 2 weeks off work (one week off the bike :shock: ) from this weekend

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:37 am

I see Sylvie has 'retired' from the comp. She was starting rack up some kms - enough that each shift that precluded a commute to or from work for me was becoming worrying.

I too have some leave coming up: three weeks from Saturday week, so there is opportunity to either make up some ground or put some distance on my current position, depending on which side of it you're sitting on. I guess reality is that 1 - 4 is pretty settled (although the fat lady ain't singing yet) but 5 - 7 looks like it could get interesting as the year draws to a close.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:41 am

oxonabike wrote:I see Sylvie has 'retired' from the comp. She was starting rack up some kms - enough that each shift that precluded a commute to or from work for me was becoming worrying.
hahaha she didnt retire...she got sacked lol

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:44 am

gretaboy wrote:
oxonabike wrote:I see Sylvie has 'retired' from the comp. She was starting rack up some kms - enough that each shift that precluded a commute to or from work for me was becoming worrying.
hahaha she didnt retire...she got sacked lol
hehehe

westab

Postby westab » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:32 pm

Ox I can't get you but am after 6th. And we are still both after jason 380 this month and counting
:grin::grin:
Sent from my GT-S6102 using Tapatalk 2

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:09 am

Just did a check: 476 for the month so far with a trip home to come! :D Might have to put in a big week before heading off on leave :mrgreen:

Edit: Of course that monthly number is achieved weekly by some here :oops:

westab

Postby westab » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:52 am

oxonabike wrote:Just did a check: 476 for the month so far with a trip home to come! :D Might have to put in a big week before heading off on leave :mrgreen:

Edit: Of course that monthly number is achieved weekly by some here :oops:
Good kms Ox - I wish I could do more as well - in july I did just over 900kms (more than twice as much as usual) and BAM look at the next two months, just below normal, August because I was sick and September as I recovered and had no energy. The ususal extra kms flew out the window as the only way I can justify them (to myself) is to take the same time as a usual ride home but go alot faster. Lower kms OK but nothing to be :oops: about.