B2G 2013

WMC1

Re: B2G 2013

Postby WMC1 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:29 am

Had a great ride. Pity about the head wind towards the later part of the course. Completed the ride in 2hours and 58 min, better than I expected in respect to the conditions.
I met up with a chap on a single speed after the second rest stop and we stuck together to the end. At a set of lights he thanked me for the assistance to help him though the last 15 km. I admire guys that can keep up on a single speed, he must be extremely fit.

Good points
- Most of the riders were fairly well mannered.
- The marshals and police did a great job as did the staff at the rest points.

Not so good points
- Faster riders that insisted in cutting me and others off at most corners. Why is this necessary? I actually sped up to one guy that cut me off almost sending me into the gutter, and asked him if that move was a good idea and what he was thinking. He just ignored me and went on his way.
- Riders just ahead of me that emptied the contents of their nasal passages and as the wind was right, it ended up all over me. You people are disgusting.
- All the slower riders, including the VIP’s that caused all sorts of traffic chaos. They really need to review how this is managed.
- At the end I could not find anywhere that I could fill up my drink bottles for the return leg. I had to purchase drinks to keep me going?

Apart form that all else went really well, until I decided to ride home. I ended up getting lost a couple of times due my Garmin 800 going off course and my lack of reading which roundabout exit to take, DOH. Does anyone else have problems with the navigation of roundabouts, I kept exiting one too early as it seemed that way on the display of the 800.
Ended up doing 180km for the day and had to be rescued by my wife when my body said enough is enough. I was only 10k from home but did not have the strength left to ride another k :cry: .

Looking forward to next year’s event minus the ride home, I plan to ride to the start, ride the course then ride home in the car :D .
Work is something I do in between cycling.

Bikes: 1 x Steel 26” Cruiser, 2 x Alloy Roadies, 1 x Full Carbon Roadie.
It is unfair if only one bike gets all the attention.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:28 pm

WMC1 wrote:Had a great ride. Pity about the head wind towards the later part of the course. Completed the ride in 2hours and 58 min, better than I expected in respect to the conditions. pretty good time. you have to be fit to go under 3hrs, or draft like crazy....

I met up with a chap on a single speed after the second rest stop and we stuck together to the end. At a set of lights he thanked me for the assistance to help him though the last 15 km. I admire guys that can keep up on a single speed, he must be extremely fit.

Good points
- Most of the riders were fairly well mannered. sort of
- The marshals and police did a great job as did the staff at the rest points. agreed

Not so good points
- Faster riders that insisted in cutting me and others off at most corners. Why is this necessary? I actually sped up to one guy that cut me off almost sending me into the gutter, and asked him if that move was a good idea and what he was thinking. He just ignored me and went on his way. agree...faster packs displayed some pretty reckless riding like not giving enough space when overtaking for me to avoid parked cars, etc..
- Riders just ahead of me that emptied the contents of their nasal passages and as the wind was right, it ended up all over me. You people are disgusting. yeah, it's the meathead neanderthal thing to do these days. if your nose runs that much, then your diet is dumb a$$.
- All the slower riders, including the VIP’s that caused all sorts of traffic chaos. They really need to review how this is managed. totally agree..VIPs or not, they have no right starting them first if they are inexperienced riders. they can bleat "it's not a race" 120x an hour, but let's see them put a speed limit on the ride and see how many people show up
- At the end I could not find anywhere that I could fill up my drink bottles for the return leg. I had to purchase drinks to keep me going? .... the toilets behind the bandstand is what most use.

Apart form that all else went really well, until I decided to ride home. I ended up getting lost a couple of times due my Garmin 800 going off course and my lack of reading which roundabout exit to take, DOH. Does anyone else have problems with the navigation of roundabouts, I kept exiting one too early as it seemed that way on the display of the 800. yeah first time I rode all the way back, and I went based on "intuition" and talking/following others....and some of the roundabouts are a pain...and I took one or two wrong turns, and had to go on the V1 footpath thing for a bit...never mind, I know the way now.

Ended up doing 180km for the day and had to be rescued by my wife when my body said enough is enough. I was only 10k from home but did not have the strength left to ride another k :cry: . not knowing where you are going and being on your own can wear you down...should be 3x easier next time :) also, review your fluid and energy intake....if you are strong enough to do it in sub 3hrs, then you should be able ot get back without genuine exhaustion...I had 2 bananas and about 4 dates on the way down and 1.5litres electrolyte....I prehydrated with a litre, then drank 1.5litres at the finish, and 1 litre during return. at GC, I ate two Lion's sausage sandwiches and a banana smoothie...and during return ride, ate about 6 dates

Looking forward to next year’s event minus the ride home, I plan to ride to the start, ride the course then ride home in the car :D .
the trick to riding back is get in with a few other guys and keep rolling over the lead. you'll keep yourself fresher....also, don't be on the hammer 100% of the time. give it stick as a group for 10 minutes, then back off for 5...and repeat. but really important to hydrate more than you think you need to.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:32 pm

Two points wmc1.

There was a drink station to the left of the finish line behind the BQ tent.

I've got a garmin 800. Every time I've used the navigation it has ended up in a disaster. One time at the TDU, the party leader led us in a 5k loop of the area back to where we started. By about 3/4 of the way around I thought "he's following the garmin". Turns out I was spot on. :mrgreen:

Now ill use the maps to look where I'm going and plot my own course. :)

I had a good ride down - came home in the second group. I could have gone quicker....maybe made the front pack... But might not have lasted out there. :o

WMC1

Postby WMC1 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:44 pm

Thank you for the pointers guys. I will better prepare my self next time. Last year i finished in 2:40 but drove home with the wife. Thought the ride home would be good. You learn from your mistakes.

I did hydrate and eat often, but as i have kidney disease, low iron and combined with the heat, i just ran out of puff. Geeting lost did not help one bit either. Due to this i was on my own with no one to help keep the pace.

Anyway, it was good practice for the Ipswich 100 mile, or should that be 170KM! next year.

Cheers.
Work is something I do in between cycling.

Bikes: 1 x Steel 26” Cruiser, 2 x Alloy Roadies, 1 x Full Carbon Roadie.
It is unfair if only one bike gets all the attention.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:23 pm

Had a good ride yesterday did it spot on my average of last year 35.6 for a 2.52 finish. Headwind was the killer as well as just about every red light once past Hope Island. Coming past the last rest stop on about 37.5 and just watched it drop steadily toward he finish.

Got as close to the front as possible at he start, crossed the line at 5.17am and stayed pretty much with the same group all of the way. Although did get dropped a few times and had to TT back on, which hurt quite a bit. Didn't have any trouble passing slower riders as, there wasn't too many ahead of me at the start, so wasn't a concern.

Bunch riding was a bit hairy though. Would of expected at the pace the gory was moving that the rides would have better road positioning. Had to contend with a lot of half wheeling, drifting lines, coming up in the left, merging in without looking or signalling. Really had to watch out for where others were and expect the worst. I guess that's what happens when riding with unknowns.

Good day had. Still not sure if I enjoy the ride or just the enjoyment of accomplishment.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:29 pm

Next year we'll have to get a BNA group going, get to the very front and then charge down there. Might have to get a TTT going along the busway. It's not racing. We just like to go FAST! :P

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:41 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Next year we'll have to get a BNA group going, get to the very front and then charge down there. Might have to get a TTT going along the busway. It's not racing. We just like to go FAST! :P
The most difficult thing with that plan Luke is getting to the very front.
We were as close as we could get, but still had to over take hundreds of ppl that were sprayed all over the busway.

The ride is what it is, and the organisers do a great job.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:56 pm

Is the keep in the left lane only along the busway still in effect? Although in saying that I threw that rule out the window and dragged along a random train as soon as I caught up to everyone else last time along the busway :P
Last edited by Lukeyboy on Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:09 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Is the keep in the left lane only along the busway still in effect?
Yes. At least I stayed on the correct side of the dividers:

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:05 pm

Haha. I wanted to do that a few times. I only utilised the right lane on the long open sections overtaking what seemed like 50-200 riders at a time :P
Last edited by Lukeyboy on Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:57 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Haha. I wanted to do that a few times. I only utilised the right lane on the long open sections overtaking what seemed like 50-200 riders at a time :P
yes, if people are going to ride under or barely over 30kph in the red group, and block the whole left lane, which is not riding according to the rules, then.... oh, doesn't matter.
suppose the fast reds should just get out of bed earlier and to the start before the slow reds.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:20 pm

suppose the fast reds should just get out of bed earlier and to the start before the slow reds.
God knows what group I usually start in....
Must have been the whenyoufeellikeit group :lol:

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:36 pm

My B2GC was a long a day. It started at 3am with a nice roll into Brisbane. Got to love how quiet the roads are early Sunday Morning.

Once at South Bank I meet up with some mates, had a bite to eat and generally faffed about. Eventually we rolled across the start line, God knows what time, and headed South. I found it hard to find a group that was going at my pace and spent a lot of time and energy going from group to group. This year I made a concerted effort to stop at each rest stop and eat and refill my water bottle, my old Geoff Scott has only one cage mount. Luckily I saw no crashes which was surprising given some of the silliness I witnessed.

Eventually we arrived at the Goldie. Spent a bit of time relaxing, eating sausage sangers and water Mellon and talking crap with my mates.

Eventually we rolled off heading North again. It was great seeing the back markers on the way back. The costumes, tourers, cargo bikes and best of all the nutters on the Penny Farthings, top stuff lads.

At Coomera my mates split off and headed for the train station and I trundled along on my merry way. Due to my laissez faire pre ride map recce I got geographically embarrassed a few times. Eventually I hooked a with a few guys who I rode with to Logan Road. From there it was a pretty steady ride with a tail wind. After a few stops at servos for food and drink I eventually arrived home at 4:45pm with 310km under the belt.

Surprisingly I didn't feel to bad at the end. My butt was a little tender on the sit bones. This was mostly because I tried to stay in the saddle on the climbs to keep the pressure of my back and the associated sciatic ache in my left leg.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:38 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:God knows what group I usually start in....

Must have been the whenyoufeellikeit group :lol:
when you are from Noosa mate, you are automatically entitled! :roll:

the couple with red numbers probably thought it was all downhill from Bris to the coast. :D

maybe the organizers can consider splitting the 30+ group into 30-35 and 35+.

Ozzroo

Postby Ozzroo » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:33 pm

Yeah good event held once again this year. Had to get up at 2am to get sorted and to start line by just 4.45am.
I'm another of the single speed brigade. Finished in 3:08 after feeling the nice wind in the last 15-20km.
My target was sub 3hr this year and was averaging over 35kmh to the 40km Logan stop. I need a smaller cog
for those downhill speed runs in the busway :D

hudnut

Postby hudnut » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:48 pm

A long day for me.

I got back into cycling last year, but had to miss B2GC last year due to other commitments.
I was keen to get my first metric under my belt.

Very little time on the bike this year due to health issues, including a T1D diagnosis in May and some associated immune issues.
I spent some time during winter working out insulin/carb ratios and what different exercise efforts do to insulin effectiveness and my BSLs.
Then got crook again.

So... with a grand total of 1.5 weeks prep, I was NOT going to miss the B2GC this year!

With the aid of some mates keeping me paced and making sure I wasn't left alone in case I went hypo, we were off.

Yes lads, that was me sitting down and testing BSLs as I went along, being a complete PITA.

The ride as I remember it:

- Busway. Kinda cool. Lots of people probably going harder than they should at the start, and I'm trying to stay out of trouble.

- The "climb". Was that it? People I know kept telling me about this one climb early on. I kept my HR at 150 and was surprised when it was done.

- A largeish chap (flat track bully) steaming past 12 times telling everyone how to ride and "keep left". Every slight grade we encountered he went backwards fast.

- Despite the supplements (my latest tests show me low in magnesium potassium and anything else that stops cramping.) and electrolytes and carefully worked out diet stuff, much cramping ensued. Managed that as best I could.

- I spent my turns at the front for the headwind. I will not be a slacker.

- 2 crashes not far in front of me, requiring big brakes.

- one ejected water bottle from the person in front of me hitting my front wheel, involving some speedy recovery work to avoid hitting the deck, and some sever pucker factor.

- one person coming up a hill on the right and then "cracking", immediately taking a swerve left across 2 people to get to the side of the road, and missing my front wheel by inches.

One particularly bad instance where I could feel BSLs going low. No power to the pedals. Pulled over and got that sorted.
I had some pretty wild BSLs (up and down) this ride.

So, one metric down. :)
Average 25 kph. First 2/3 was 29kph, but BSLs and cramping needed to be managed to the end.
I was a bit pissed I wasn't at my best for the run to the finish, but I'm philosophical about it now.
I mightn't have had a chance at all.

Pretty chuffed since I was in a pretty bad way in May.
It's been a big learning curve getting back, and it's not over yet.

Managed to ride to work today (20km each way) at a very easy pace to keep things turning.

Next goals, getting around Coottha again, and an imperial.

More taking it easy tomorrow, a BVRT ride with the kids coming up on the weekend.
Can't wait.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:19 pm

hudnut wrote: - A largeish chap (flat track bully) steaming past 12 times telling everyone how to ride and "keep left". Every slight grade we encountered he went backwards fast.

- one ejected water bottle from the person in front of me hitting my front wheel, involving some speedy recovery work to avoid hitting the deck, and some sever pucker factor.

- one person coming up a hill on the right and then "cracking", immediately taking a swerve left across 2 people to get to the side of the road, and missing my front wheel by inches.
haha. I think that large chap went past me....once....and then me past him...once. :)
nevertheless, bloody good on him...rather see him out riding than driving into Maccas.

yeah dropped water bottles are a big no no.

and people cracking on hills is pretty much par for the course. you just don't expect it as much when they are riding $10,000+ bikes :)

edit: thanks for the story about your medical challenges hud. that's very interesting. it's easy for people with comparatively good health not to appreciate the motivation of many who do events like this. good on you and i hope you learn heaps about managing your condition better and improve every year in your cycling.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:35 pm

winstonw wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:Haha. I wanted to do that a few times. I only utilised the right lane on the long open sections overtaking what seemed like 50-200 riders at a time :P
yes, if people are going to ride under or barely over 30kph in the red group, and block the whole left lane, which is not riding according to the rules, then.... oh, doesn't matter.

You guys might appreciate my maneuvers from last year @2:20 and 8:00 onwards in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0BZl2O1Nxs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hudnut

Postby hudnut » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:43 pm

winstonw wrote:
hudnut wrote: - A largeish chap (flat track bully) steaming past 12 times telling everyone how to ride and "keep left". Every slight grade we encountered he went backwards fast.

haha. I think that large chap went past me....once....and then me past him...once. :)
nevertheless, bloody good on him...rather see him out riding than driving into Maccas.

yeah dropped water bottles are a big no no.

and people cracking on hills is pretty much par for the course. you just don't expect it as much when they are riding $10,000+ bikes :)

edit: thanks for the story about your medical challenges hud. that's very interesting. it's easy for people with comparatively good health not to appreciate the motivation of many who do events like this. good on you and i hope you learn heaps about managing your condition better and improve every year in your cycling.
Yeah. I reckon good on him as well. I found it amusing. He must have been putting out some wattage, because he wasn't slow.

This year has been a bit of a shock healthwise actually. I've always been pretty healthy, fit strong etc. Played lots of sport.
Very healthy right up until this year. Then everything went wahoonie-shaped.

I think someone else on here (cowled?) said something about medical staff saying cyclists/sports-minded people being very singular and bloody minded about rehab.
We'll get there, but it can get frustrating suddenly not being able to do things you used to take for granted.

Thanks for the sentiments mate.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:36 pm

Hit a top of 76kph around here somewhere
Damn. Only 10kph ahead of my time through there :P

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:38 am

Lukeyboy wrote:
Hit a top of 76kph around here somewhere
Damn. Only 10kph ahead of my time through there :P
Without the velomobile I would have been 20kmph behind you ;-)

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:21 am

singlespeedscott wrote:I eventually arrived home at 4:45pm with 310km under the belt.
Respect.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:22 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:At Coomera my mates split off and headed for the train station and I trundled along on my merry way. Due to my laissez faire pre ride map recce I got geographically embarrassed a few times. Eventually I hooked a with a few guys who I rode with to Logan Road. From there it was a pretty steady ride with a tail wind. After a few stops at servos for food and drink I eventually arrived home at 4:45pm with 310km under the belt.
just had a look at your return Strava data Scott.

I rode back as far as Stapylton Roadhouse last year.

I took Hope Island and Oxley Rds cf your Hollywell and Mercola.
Saw your Jacobs Well Pimpama Rd detour! that would have been a kick in the guts.
Where you crossed to the west side of the motorway, just north of Logan River, I continued up to the Logan Hyperdome (having to use the V1 pathway a bit), then wangled across to Nujooloo Rd via Mandew St.

will keep an eye out for that crossover just north of Logan River next time.

I had also thought about getting onto the veloway around the intersection of Logan Rd and Gateway Motorway. But I'd traveled down it from cbd as far as Holland Park, and found it to be a bit of a dog's breakfast really. So just came back on Logan Rd like you. The traffic wasn't so bad, but seemed to catch every red light.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:02 pm

Yes, Logan road certainly wasn't as bad as I had anticipated.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:02 pm

winstonw wrote: The traffic wasn't so bad, but seemed to catch every red light.
That section along GardenCity is atrocious, impossible to get Greens!