Is it Time for a New Tyre?

QuangVuong

Is it Time for a New Tyre?

Postby QuangVuong » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:01 pm

So the Spring Cycle is tomorrow, and I check over my tyres to find this. The casing has shown through on my 4 Season front tyre. Is it time I replace it? Or should I be good for 50km?

This is 5cm down from the upper pic.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

sogood

Re: Is it Time for a New Tyre?

Postby sogood » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:05 pm

Casing = Replace.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:23 pm

sogood wrote:Casing = Replace.
+1. Especially on a front tyre, don't take the risk of it going bang and you taking a tumble over the bars etc.,.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:59 pm

Back tyre should be the worn one. New tyre should go on the front, old front to the rear, rear to the bin for best safety. That way you only ever wear out the rear. Unless of course you run different tyres on the front and rear.

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-rotation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:07 pm

Already swapped tyres around. I guess I left the rear on for too long before chucking it out front. I've done 500km since switching front and rear.

I'm gonna retire the wheelset and tyres soon anyway. Would I be safe with sticking a tyre patch on the inside just for tomorrow. I don't really wanna start a new tyre only to take it off after tomorrow.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:15 pm

QuangVuong wrote:Already swapped tyres around. I guess I left the rear on for too long before chucking it out front. I've done 500km since switching front and rear.

I'm gonna retire the wheelset and tyres soon anyway. Would I be safe with sticking a tyre patch on the inside just for tomorrow. I don't really wanna start a new tyre only to take it off after tomorrow.
You haven't read the Sheldon link. You don't put the rear tyre anywhere except the bin. In fact he recommended not rotating at all and just replacing the tyres as required.

A patch on the inside wouldn't serve any purpose. The tube holds the air, the tyre (and rim, and rim tape) holds the tube. The carcass of the tyre is the bit that holds the tube, the rubber on the surface only provides grip (and the first layer of puncture resistance).

It depends on whether you need maximum grip tomorrow, not forgetting that the mould release on a new tyre would take a while to wear off too and until then grip would be compromised.

Cheers,

Cameron

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:39 am

Nobody wrote:Back tyre should be the worn one. New tyre should go on the front, old front to the rear, rear to the bin for best safety. That way you only ever wear out the rear. Unless of course you run different tyres on the front and rear.

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-rotation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I always like to buy tyres in sets of three so I have two rears.
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite
http://drpcoaching.blogspot.com.au

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:00 am

thearthurdog wrote:I always like to buy tyres in sets of three so I have two rears.
I always like to have at least one tyre spare, that's all. New goes to the front and front goes to the rear while rear goes to bin.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:05 am

I have finally retired the tyres and wheelset afer yesterdays ride. It was my first time actually using up a tyre as well.

Now, so with the 3 tyre rotation, what should it be? Two for the rear, and stick with the same front. Or as what sogood suggests.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:19 am

newest tyre on the front always. wear the rear one out, it goes in bin, front tyre goes to the rear and new tyre goes on the front as the others have said. Why would you have two tyres for the rear? is it a trike?
Pete

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:33 am

Nah, as in, when the rear wears out, I would just replace with a new one.

I got you now. thearthurdog's post was not clear. Well thanks for tha. Itll prob be a long while before I use up a set of tyres though.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:33 pm

My understanding is that thearthurdog's method is closest to what Sheldon actually did.

Start with 3 new tyres.
Put one on the front and one on the rear. :!:
Ride.
Replace worn out rear tyre with the unused one.
Ride.
Buy three new tyres and start again.

Half worn but old front tyres are good to use on stationary trainers.

Cheers,

Cameron

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:46 pm

QuangVuong wrote:I have finally retired the tyres and wheelset afer yesterdays ride. It was my first time actually using up a tyre as well.

Now, so with the 3 tyre rotation, what should it be? Two for the rear, and stick with the same front. Or as what sogood suggests.
Sogood is right. Fit new units F&R, when rear is shot bin it and put the front on the rear and the new unit out front.

The front wheel is what keeps you upright and safe, it should always have the best tyre on it.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011