Race Report Thread

ft_critical

Re: Race Report Thread

Postby ft_critical » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:02 pm

Derny Driver wrote:So you did okay I reckon ....better than okay.
Thank you DD.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:06 pm

trek52 wrote:
Xplora wrote:First race with Waratahs in Sydney today. Opted to dip down for D grade since cornering and confidence in chaotic situations isn't my strong suit, and that's pretty much the whole time in criteriums. Couple of warmup laps because I drove down (SOFT). Ended up slaughtering the prime, with a clearer run I might have passed C grade. Got a bit messy because I didn't know it was their prime lap as well. Felt a trifle silly after riding alone for a lap and a half, slowed right down and let the bunch catch up again. There is sandbagging, and there is outright theft. Anyways, lifted the pace on the final lap and really didn't make a decisive break, ended up finishing second by a length. In hindsight, probably needed to sit back until the second last lap and work harder to either break away properly at the end, or be prepared to solo for a lot longer.

I'll go C grade next time, although I'm certainly not ready to leap up the grades because the bike handling seems to be a weak point. I just wasn't confident enough to really throw the bike at the corners, and you can't expect to just go z7 to make up that distance.
I think I saw your finish, you left it way too late to sprint, you were doing about 20kmh faster than the guy that won. If you need a hand with cornering, positioning or racing in general let me know. I race out there most weeks in the summer in A grade even managed a win yesterday.
Xplora you should take up Matt's offer, he 'manages to win' A grade crits with monotonous regularity :wink:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:35 pm

Already applied the first advice with stunning success :D looking forward to the second lesson!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:32 am

Xplora wrote:Already applied the first advice with stunning success :D looking forward to the second lesson!
You should be in B grade for Waratah's soon ... maybe by the 29th of December :wink: ... I am aiming to jump in where I left off over 5 years ago :mrgreen: .

dale79

Postby dale79 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:18 am

Xplora wrote:Already applied the first advice with stunning success :D looking forward to the second lesson!
Well done mate

I won c grade penrith one week waratah b grade the next :) go give b grade a crack you will be surprised at how well you go!

C grade Marconi is a lot harder than both penrith c and waratah b so come out tonight and have a crack

Aussiebullet

Postby Aussiebullet » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:38 pm

ft_critical wrote:
Derny Driver wrote:So you did okay I reckon ....better than okay.
Thank you DD.
+1. Finishing in any CAT is no walk in the park.
I was in MM2 and I was shocked at the level of talent that turned up, but I guess your not going to fly half way accross the continent if your not confident of being more than pack fill so when that many heavy hitters get together in one race and stretch the elastic you sure need to be at your best form for the year just to survive.

You mentioned the heat but forgot to mention the filthy crosswinds :x and there was a very light haze of smoke (it affects some people more than others, puts my HR and PEthrough the roof even when barely visable.) I also had to drive 3 1/2hrs through thick sections of smoke along the hume and could barely see the outline of hills at some points so the inhalation and damage was done by the time racing got underway. Car still stinks of smoke.

This was a new level of hard for me, like off the chain hard, by the third turn around I could taste breakfast, by the 4th I could taste hot lung and by the 5th turn around all I could taste after every hard effort was blood and consentration was becoming difficult, most of the last lap was a blurr but I remember looking up the road right at the very end and seeing orange shapes and thinking oh shite we are here already, looks like a feild sprint.
legs were begining to twinge and about one last effort away from siezing, but I just stuck to my golden rules, don't go too early, don't loose the wheel in front and DON'T go too early.
As we went under the 500m to go banner they wound up pretty solid, suicide I thought... yep ~200m to go and theres only 3 wheels left in front surly I can snag at least a bronze from here, I'm waiting to burn my very last 6 - 8sec match before I implode into a world of pain, quick look under both arms to make sure I'm clear,
look up and the rider in front has shut down not sure if he cracked, cramped or just gave up, I almost run up his clacker
I hit hit the chops and veer wide on the wrong side and into the crosswind side, I fumble for a better gear to get back on top of then a rush from someone on the other side out of the wind, he gets distance and stays well left so as not to give anyone shelter I get close but burn my last match getting back up to speed!
4th or though I thought at the time, Gold and silver crossed the line over 2mins earlier, and I was too brain wrecked during the race to realise so 6th it was. A very hard earned 6th.
Last edited by Aussiebullet on Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

michaelten

Postby michaelten » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:15 pm

Masters 2 race must have been a hard one, it looked like quite a few people were returning not long after the start.

I was in the Masters 1 race, out the back on the last lap when the eventual winner attacked. I just had nothing left when I needed it! The race was blown well apart on the last lap, just 1's and 2's across the line. I think the biggest group was maybe 4 people for about 4th place.

Masters 2 for me next year.

Aussiebullet

Postby Aussiebullet » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:37 pm

It will be a walk in the park Michaelten, only 3 laps not 4.

michaelten

Postby michaelten » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:55 pm

Sounds good in theory! 3 laps at a faster pace

Aussiebullet

Postby Aussiebullet » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:36 pm

He he! yeh its always the way, never any easier you go faster

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:13 pm

Aussiebullet wrote:4th or though I thought at the time, Gold and silver crossed the line over 2mins earlier, and I was too brain wrecked during the race to realise so 6th it was. A very hard earned 6th.
Congratulations, that is a great result.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:17 pm

vander wrote:HR is a bit hit and miss with this sort of stuff. Power zones would have been much more interesting.
Thanks Vander. No, sorry, there is nothing hit and miss about that HR profile. I didn't look at my HR during the race. I didn't need a monitor to tell me that. I knew! It was accurately telling me I was dying. :D

vander

Postby vander » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:41 pm

ft_critical wrote:
vander wrote:HR is a bit hit and miss with this sort of stuff. Power zones would have been much more interesting.
Thanks Vander. No, sorry, there is nothing hit and miss about that HR profile. I didn't look at my HR during the race. I didn't need a monitor to tell me that. I knew! It was accurately telling me I was dying. :D
What I was getting at is I doubt that you were racing (AT) threshold, I think you would of been over threshold a lot of the time (which your HR data doesnt really show)

lang

Postby lang » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:24 pm

Pedaling wrote:RBCC C Grade Crit race report, 12.10.13
Arriving at a warm, windy Heffron park for my first cycling race, I must admit to feeling very nervous.
I have been training with the club for a few months now, so there were some familiar faces glad to see me there to race.
After registering, I rode a couple of laps to warm up, and to see what the wind conditions were like, and to help the butterflies.
So I lined up on the start line with over 20 C graders, checking out the opposition, see who to stick with if any early breaks were to happen. I had some great advice from some guys on this forum, so all that was in my mind was " stay close to front and keep momentum in the corners".
The race begins and I find myself in at 5th wheel, and feeling OK. I expected the pace to be relatively fast for the first few laps, and it certainly was, as we were dropping riders from the first lap. By the third lap we had lost half of the peloton, and I was now in at second wheel, with a defence force rider leading out.
As the race went on, the two defence force riders were taking turns off the front, at a pretty quick pace. I was expecting B grade to come past, but we did not see them for the whole race.
On the second last lap a young rider from NSCC attacked over the back, into the wind, and the two defence force riders went with him. I was in shock and did not expect it, so I chased, and chased while everybody else followed my wheel. I had nothing and thought they had got away, but the three lads in front sat up and we all managed to get back on for the last lap.
So the bell lap, as we past the bell nobody wanted to lead out, me included, so the defence force riders were on the front again, and I sat at third wheel with the NSCC rider behind me. The young NSCC rider attacked again at the same point, although this time I expected it. He attacked hard and started to pull away, what, up comes his hand as he punctured the poor bloke.
So it comes to the sprint, and I am following the defence boys as they are working as a team. As we got closer to the line I thought, "Have a go!" and so I went, way too early and got past by two guys in the last 30 meters, and I gave up and got pipped for third.
So my first crit race I got a forth, and loved every minute of it. Best fun I have had with my pants on! :D
I have learnt so much, and have more of an idea how to train and prepare for my next race on Saturday.
Thanks for the advice everyone,
Cheers,

Darrin.
Hey Darrin!

Just saw this post.

I was in that race too. I managed to pip an ADF lad to the line for the win. Man, kudos to you for fourth in your first race. It was actually faster than usual for that grade, due to our ADF friends, but they can't be blamed really as for Ben (2nd) it was his second race ever and first time at Heffron. Sometimes it's just like that when you get riders from other clubs or the wind cooperates. So you'll definitely be a contender in future races.

I remember chasing down the NS lad on his last break, and spending everything in the effort. That's why when we passed the bell with me at the front I was flapping my right elbow like a chicken!

Hope to see ya at future races. Club champs crit is on this Sunday at Waratah Park at Sutherland.

Pedaling

Postby Pedaling » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:28 pm

lang wrote:
Pedaling wrote:RBCC C Grade Crit race report, 12.10.13
Arriving at a warm, windy Heffron park for my first cycling race, I must admit to feeling very nervous.
I have been training with the club for a few months now, so there were some familiar faces glad to see me there to race.
After registering, I rode a couple of laps to warm up, and to see what the wind conditions were like, and to help the butterflies.
So I lined up on the start line with over 20 C graders, checking out the opposition, see who to stick with if any early breaks were to happen. I had some great advice from some guys on this forum, so all that was in my mind was " stay close to front and keep momentum in the corners".
The race begins and I find myself in at 5th wheel, and feeling OK. I expected the pace to be relatively fast for the first few laps, and it certainly was, as we were dropping riders from the first lap. By the third lap we had lost half of the peloton, and I was now in at second wheel, with a defence force rider leading out.
As the race went on, the two defence force riders were taking turns off the front, at a pretty quick pace. I was expecting B grade to come past, but we did not see them for the whole race.
On the second last lap a young rider from NSCC attacked over the back, into the wind, and the two defence force riders went with him. I was in shock and did not expect it, so I chased, and chased while everybody else followed my wheel. I had nothing and thought they had got away, but the three lads in front sat up and we all managed to get back on for the last lap.
So the bell lap, as we past the bell nobody wanted to lead out, me included, so the defence force riders were on the front again, and I sat at third wheel with the NSCC rider behind me. The young NSCC rider attacked again at the same point, although this time I expected it. He attacked hard and started to pull away, what, up comes his hand as he punctured the poor bloke.
So it comes to the sprint, and I am following the defence boys as they are working as a team. As we got closer to the line I thought, "Have a go!" and so I went, way too early and got past by two guys in the last 30 meters, and I gave up and got pipped for third.
So my first crit race I got a forth, and loved every minute of it. Best fun I have had with my pants on! :D
I have learnt so much, and have more of an idea how to train and prepare for my next race on Saturday.
Thanks for the advice everyone,
Cheers,

Darrin.
Hey Darrin!

Just saw this post.

I was in that race too. I managed to pip an ADF lad to the line for the win. Man, kudos to you for fourth in your first race. It was actually faster than usual for that grade, due to our ADF friends, but they can't be blamed really as for Ben (2nd) it was his second race ever and first time at Heffron. Sometimes it's just like that when you get riders from other clubs or the wind cooperates. So you'll definitely be a contender in future races.

I remember chasing down the NS lad on his last break, and spending everything in the effort. That's why when we passed the bell with me at the front I was flapping my right elbow like a chicken!

Hope to see ya at future races. Club champs crit is on this Sunday at Waratah Park at Sutherland.
Hey Lang,
Congratulations on the perfectly timed sprint and the win mate. The way you past me during the sprint was very humbling. Well done!
I really enjoyed my first race, and I just finished my second race today at Heffron. Pace was pretty hot for C grade for the first half of the race, as the pack began to fall apart. Half way through the race, we found ourselves in a four man breakaway. The last half of he race all four of us worked well together to stay ahead. The breeze was pretty stiff heading down the final straight, so I did not make the same mistake as last time, waited for the sprint and managed to jag second.
Really enjoyed it and I will be racing at Landsdowne tomorrow morning.
Hope to see you at Heffron soon mate,
Cheers,

Darrin.
"Life is just a ride" Bill Hicks
2012 C59 Colnago
2013 Giant TCR

lang

Postby lang » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:15 pm

Darrin,

Second! In your second race. Niiice. Rare to see a break stay away in C, so that's cool too.

G'luck at Lansdowne. I've yet to try that track, hear it's good.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:40 pm

First CX race of the season, last year at this race it was snowing, this year 22 degrees, sunny but very breezy.
Was feeling super motivated all though I know where I stand in these races... At 90 plus kilos ( still :-( ) I am never going to be at the points end.
Huge field, biggest I have ever seen, won't know results till Tuesday, but probably 60 plus on the start line. We all lined up on a dirt football pitch ... Nearly all in a straight line :-) ... Full blast the length of the pitch and into a 180 degree squeeze... It was chaos!... Great fun.
After that it was just suffer suffer suffer!... Course had changed a lot from last year, much slower which was good as last year I punctured, but less flowing and rougher. A lot more climbing but very little running due to the dryness of the course.
First lap I was probably just inside the top 20 and that was basically where I stayed. My aim as always is not to get lapped... Managed that with maybe 2 or 300 meters to spare. Which meant the last lap there wasn't many chasing me. One guy did get me but I was toast by then. 1h5m of CX racing is a bit too much for the fitness at the moment. I felt the fade starting at about 40 minutes.
I had left a bottle on the start line in case I needed it ( no bottles usually on the bike )... I did need it except someone ( or the wind ) had knocked it over so it was taunting me every lap from the ground!.
Lots of work to do before my favourite flat races in January ;-)

Toolish

Postby Toolish » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:32 pm

First ever graded scratch road race.

3 grades, I was in C grade. 7 laps of a 6km circuit, got spat out the back of the bunch towards the end of the fourth lap.

I had been ok tactically until that point knowing I lacked fitness, then a move went that I knew was coming but I was stuck on the wrong side of the bike in front of me, started to jump to hang onto the back but had to brake as a gap closed and could not make it up again.

I would never have been a contender but may have been able to hang on a bit longer without that mistake.

Wife and kids came out to watch and loved the race and the club atmosphere, wife told me that the whole drive home my daughter wanted to go for a ride on her bike so that was great.

Only my second ever race but I definitely have the bug, wife picked up on it straight away. Need to get fitter overall and really need to do some work on being able to go with the jumps.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:26 pm

It's good that you could read the signs, sometimes you can't always do something about them and it's worse having no idea why it went wrong. Sounds like you had a fantastic day all round though. Juniors on the cards?? ;)

filip

Postby filip » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:55 am

Wyong 25/10
B grade
39km/h

B grade at wyong last Friday. Again a big turnout. A couple of attacks which didn’t get far. Uneventful race really. 1 ½ laps to go and there was an attack from the front up the little hill, i was in 4th position and the others hesitated. Not me, feeling good, i quickly made up my mind and had a plan
1. Close the gap
2. Work together
3. Win the sprint
Part 1 of my plan, close the gap, closing...closing...maybe...no. With ½ a lap to go the bunch passed me and i fought to stay in contact. We passed the first escapee 10 seconds later. In the end i think i finished last. Lessons : 1/it's near impossible to stay away solo with less than 2 laps to go 2/work on 3’-5’ vo2 max efforts.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:55 pm

Stromlo Criterium E grade

The race this evening was to be 16 min + 2 laps, anti-clockwise around the circuit. This meant that it was going to be a downhill sprint, into a brisk wind. There was a good turnout of 20 riders in E grade, with a couple of F grade riders along for the ride as well. Whilst there were a few well known faces from weekend races, there were a few that I recognised but at least half the field I was unfamiliar with. I was a little apprehensive but I was looking forward to the chance to actually finish a race in E grade with the bunch.

The race got underway at a steady enough speed, but it wasn’t long before a bloke I think I recognised, but was wearing a visitor number (704) broke away on about the second lap. Some of the keener riders started to mount a chase however I suggested that if he was that antisocial to ride on his own then we should let him. This helped take the sting out of the race for the next 8 minutes or so until he finally succumbed to the conditions, which were much better for those of us sharing the load in the bunch. After that there were a couple of surges, but there were no serious attacks.

With a lap and a half to go 704 broke away again on the way up the hill. At the top of the hill he had built up a gap, which started to open pretty rapidly when no-one wanted to do any work into the wind with just over a lap to go. I wasn’t particularly keen to play that game so I put on a bit of pace and even opened a gap on the field with one other for company. He seemed keen to come through for a turn and for a moment I thought we would make a real go of it as we caught the breakaway. However we didn’t manage to get to the downwind leg with a gap, which would have been the first target. However the bunch was now pretty well strung out.

I got to the top of the finish straight in third wheel but the two riders in front were tiring and would get washed away. The rush was launched from the back and four riders came past me pretty quickly, I tried to accelerate with them but it was not enough although I was closing in on one of them at the end. I was pretty happy with 5th in the end, I haven’t been in a bunch sprint for a while. I got into good position, but didn’t have the legs when I needed them.

Cheers,

Cameron

SquareWheels

Postby SquareWheels » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:01 pm

Loved the vid ironhanglider. Wish more race types posted them. I don't race but love to read the reports and watching the action is a bonus.

Cheers
I got hit by a car that failed to give way once - it really hurt

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:03 pm

SquareWheels wrote:Loved the vid ironhanglider. Wish more race types posted them. I don't race but love to read the reports and watching the action is a bonus.

Cheers
Thanks SW,

Not many racer types are prepared to lug around the extra 100g for the camera and bracket. :wink:

I have had the camera mounted on the front at one time but the view isn't very good in old fat bloke racing circles.

Cheers,

Cameron

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:39 am

Another CX today... was feeling pretty good today.
New course, not very long laps, not too much climbing and quite a cool layout. The main climbs were hard in long grass though.
I got a good start... CX is all about the sprint at the start!. Probably in 10 or 11th place... lost a couple of places in the first climbs but then found my place. For the first 3 laps ended up in a group of 4 in about 12th - 15th place ( 70 plus for the start ) . Big gap behind so unlikely anyone was going to bridge up to us.
But then it all went wrong... after a rough descent went to put the power down and the chain dropped behind the cassette :evil: ... took about 2 to 3 minutes ( looking at strava ) to get back up and going, had to make sure I didn't go into the 32 for the rest of the race. Got back a fair few of the places I had lost, but the laps were pretty short and I got lapped with 2 to go ( turning it into one to go ). Got a few more places on my last lap... then about 500m from the finish I tangled some bunting with my shifters... usually I would just break the bunting, but of course this time it didn't break and I was trying to turn. Down I went like a chump in front of a crowd :lol: . Up and running again but with my shifter turned right round and my front break not working very well... the new shifter I had only just fitted that morning!. Lost one place.
Not a great day... short race of 50 minutes. But at least I got a ride in!.
Pulled the bar tap off and had a good look at the shifter... looks ok phew. But the Ksyrium rear will need nearly all new drive side spokes grrr... and I will fit a new hanger.
Theres another race tomorrow but its a fair way a way and I am feeling it... training ride instead ... maybe :wink: .
http://www.strava.com/activities/92734717" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:23 am

Bunting are we talking about the tape they roll out around the course TLL? :?

You do manage to take on more than your share of racing mishaps TLL! :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km