How to pass a cyclist safely ...

Aushiker

How to pass a cyclist safely ...

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:34 am

If you want a poster copy of this safety message, you can download a PDF from Bike Safe Geelong.

They also have various banners at http://geelongsurfcoast.bikesafe.com.au/initiatives/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andrew

human909

Re: How to pass a cyclist safely ...

Postby human909 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:19 pm

Its really not that hard. But this sort of education is absolutely necessary. I would love to see a month of prime time advertisements on this.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:08 pm

Where most of the haters out there go wrong is that they think that they should be able to pass a cyclist while another car is coming at them on the other side of the road. They find it unreasoanble therefore that a cyclist will ride away from the curb. Yet they understand and accept that they need to wait for a clear opposite lane to pass any other vehicle.

Bearing in mind that a cyclist is slower than most cars he wishes to pass, then it is even easier to pass a bike than a car.

Or a close group of cyclists for that matter. Two riders abreast (or even three if it was legal) introduces no further disruption to the driver so a responsible driver is well served by riders grouping, another thing they don't realise. (Irresponsible driver is another matter.)

These are the sort of particulars that need to be introduced if a public awareness campaign is ever mooted.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:57 pm

I don't like the term "SHARE THE ROAD", because to the people we are trying to reach, that need to hear this message mostly strongly, they misinterpret it as bicycles should get out of the way/ride in the gutter etc so they can get past and share the road. They don't realise the message is for *them*, they think its for the annoying cyclists who hold them up and don't share the road.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:35 pm

^ this - for too many people "share the road" = "you can use it once I am finished with it"
Anything you can do, I can do slower