Kev.

BianchiCam

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby BianchiCam » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:39 pm

Dam, NSW beats us again!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:48 pm

Had what appeared to be a deliberate close pass this afternoon. Didn't have the cam running. Nice new section of road with wide shoulder that I was using instead of taking the lane and holding people up car passed me with the wheels pretty much on the fog line then moved back to the right of the lane after passing me. Plenty of available lane width for them, no oncoming traffic. Certainly felt like they wanted to shave me.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:47 pm

hannos wrote:
Wakatuki wrote: Whats my next step, other than perseverance, go back and wait or police link?
Your next step?

In NSW we have this option
I'm sure there is something very similar in QLD.
Another option is to report her directly to the relevant Licensing Authority (in Victoria it is Vicroads) and they will check her fitness to drive-will need a medical clearance and perhaps do an assessment with an Occupational Therapist and instructor. They won't necessarily pull her licence entirely but can impose conditions eg only to drive within a certain radius of home etc.
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:43 pm

Had a run of the mill moron this morning - turning left at the terminating road of a T junction, me proceeding straight ahead on the shared path. Car was stationary but driver was looking right. While I believe he was required to give way, I am not riding in front in those circumstances so I stopped. Driver turned the wheel & went left, all the while looking right. Yes he ran into the stationary bicycle. Neither the bike nor myself were damaged. The only damage appeared to be the vehicles passenger mirror
Anything you can do, I can do slower

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:53 pm

My moron....redicrete truck number 34

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:00 pm

gretaboy wrote:My moron....redicrete truck number 34

geez. I thought it was the first truck. I figured you knew the light sequence and it was red, fair enough. Then the mixmaster truck came through :shock:

cowled

Postby cowled » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:18 pm

find_bruce wrote:Had a run of the mill moron this morning - turning left at the terminating road of a T junction, me proceeding straight ahead on the shared path. Car was stationary but driver was looking right. While I believe he was required to give way, I am not riding in front in those circumstances so I stopped. Driver turned the wheel & went left, all the while looking right. Yes he ran into the stationary bicycle. Neither the bike nor myself were damaged. The only damage appeared to be the vehicles passenger mirror
Glad to hear that your bike wasn't damaged.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Image 2015 Goal: 2,500km

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:57 pm

gretaboy wrote:My moron....redicrete truck number 34
Redicrete have a Facebook page :wink:

Andrew

QUARMIN

Postby QUARMIN » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:47 pm

HAYYYY!

1ST post.. just thought id point out over the last year, i keep getting high beamed at Seaforth at night, usually along the top after the hill... VERY SILLY!!!! A few times have had some close calls there as well, unfortunately its at evening...

i should point out ~ that i have had some close calls before, and i don't report at all..i see it like sharks in the water, cars were there first, its just a fact and well, i admit and accept i don't pay to be there, cars pay for roads to be there, so im cool with the risk and i do not apply rights just because 'its public', and well i also admit that majority of cyclist do have a bad rage habit, (my wife had a serious and terrible threatening experience some years ago from a cyclist, with my child in the rear seat) and does do us any favors, when cars pay for us to be in their water, and no matter what happens if we break a rule, and cause an injury or accident to us, they are at fault. My wife drives, i don't (that much), and have had a long association with fitness, cycling, running and randomly ~ fishing too.

So, a strict rule i don't report to police, its a bit like a kid pooing in the pool and blaming the other kid, when you break all the facts down, its simple and very elementary. We need to change, get respect, one thing would be to pay a tax when cycling products are purchased. Registration plates for commute riders, and bide by rules that will carry to our drivers license if we don't, it will get us respect and the right. Have to be fair to play fair. Just my thoughts, which are right :)

arkle

Postby arkle » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:13 pm

this should be funny...
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

arkle

Postby arkle » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:15 pm

this should be funny...

QUARMIN

Postby QUARMIN » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:22 pm

funny, i don't understand. Its all good and factual, not funny... am i missing an obvious fact? I'm no forum - internet person.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:34 pm

QUARMIN wrote:i see it like sharks in the water, cars were there first, its just a fact
Umm.... no they definitely were not!

http://www.roadswerenotbuiltforcars.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
QUARMIN wrote:and well, i admit and accept i don't pay to be there, cars pay for roads to be there,
And that little claim is a myth as well. http://ipayroadtax.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It doesn't matter much whether you are talking about the US, UK or Australia. Car-related charges are not designated specifically for roads, and don't go anywhere near covering the costs of road construction and maintenance, never mind the huge negative externalities incurred because of our automotive use. It is taxes paid by all of us that pay for our roads.

Hold your head up proud as a cyclist. You are saving the government something in the order of $14 each and every time you ride your bike instead of driving your car.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:42 pm

QUARMIN wrote:Its all ...factual
It isn't, that's what arkle is referring to. What il padrone posted is pretty much exactly what I would have done. Bikes were on the road first, many roads in Australia owe their existence to bicycles and their advocates, and motor vehicles most definitely DO NOT pay for the roads.

Annual cost of roads= $14.1 billion

Annual revenue from rego= $3.5 billion.

End of.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

arkle

Postby arkle » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:46 pm

Adelaide's roads were designed for horses and carts. That's why they're all so wide, so that horses pulling carts could do u turns.

arkle

A_P

Postby A_P » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:55 pm

"In Australia, around 1400 people die and 33,000 are seriously injured on average each year on our roads. The estimated annual cost of road trauma to the Australian community is $AUD 27 billion, being equal to Australia's annual Defence Force budget and around half the education budget"
makes the revenue from rego look like a drop in the ocean

nescius

Postby nescius » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:28 am

QUARMIN wrote:...i see it like sharks in the water, cars were there first, its just a fact...
The first practically used and commercially successful bicycle was built in 1817, whereas the birth of the automobile is considered to be 1886... so I'd say bicycles were there first (and both were a long time after the old horse and cart!).
QUARMIN wrote:...i admit and accept i don't pay to be there, cars pay for roads to be there, so im cool with the risk and i do not apply rights just because 'its public'...
Roads are built using money from taxes, everybody pays taxes (unless they have clever accountants and no morals), so we all pay for the roads and have every right to make use of them.
QUARMIN wrote:...and well i also admit that majority of cyclist do have a bad rage habit, (my wife had a serious and terrible threatening experience some years ago from a cyclist, with my child in the rear seat) and does do us any favors...
The majority of people don't like it when they are almost killed, it sometimes makes them upset, motorists need to understand that almost killing someone will probably prompt a negative reaction. The solution is not to drive in a dangerous manner, simple (I have never had a cyclist rage at me and I have passed plenty of them safely).
QUARMIN wrote:...So, a strict rule i don't report to police, its a bit like a kid pooing in the pool and blaming the other kid, when you break all the facts down, its simple and very elementary. We need to change, get respect, one thing would be to pay a tax when cycling products are purchased. Registration plates for commute riders, and bide by rules that will carry to our drivers license if we don't, it will get us respect and the right. Have to be fair to play fair. Just my thoughts, which are right :)...
You should report drivers who put you in danger, it may save someone's life one day. We already pay tax which pays for the roads, rego plates don't make car drivers magically better, I agree we should abide by the rules of the road, we already have the right to be on the road. You need to think harder :roll:
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:13 am

skull wrote:It doesn't help when some police hate cyclists being on the road too.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4
I reported an incident to local council traffic department after been run off the road by a car that had to get in front then sas speed humps and swerved in front. They nodded politely. A few months later at a meeting I asked them about this and they said they had to ignore it as they could only take police reports. So when I had a car cut across me to go into their driveway (I slammed on the brakes and ended up with my hand on the car to prevent hitting it at a stop) recently I called the police assistance line. they said unless it was a collision they could do nothing, but you could ask for an occurrence report but you have to do that in person. So I trundled along to the police station and was promised they would sms me the occurrence number. Never got it. I mentioned this to the police traffic department who sit on the council's traffic committee, no response.

Cycling must be truly safe by all measures under Duncan gay's RMS as they make such an effort to refuse to count anything

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:57 am

QUARMIN - Troll or for real? Does your username really mean "car men"? Can I ask how old you are, because your post reads like a teenager's work even though you say you are married?
QUARMIN wrote:cars were there first
Well as already pointed out, horses and carts were there first. And pedestrians. And bicycles.
i admit and accept i don't pay to be there, cars pay for roads to be there
Do you have a job and pay income tax, and your employer pay payroll tax? Do you buy stuff and pay GST? Buy a house and pay stamp duty? Trust me, you pay for the roads.
so im cool with the risk and i do not apply rights just because 'its public'
Let me turn that around. Are you cool with the risk that if you become unemployed and are not paying any income tax, and you get sick, the public health system is unavailable to you? Because you don't have a "right" to it any more even though its "public", because you aren't "paying" for it?
and well i also admit that majority of cyclist do have a bad rage habit
Yeh every time I go on the road, all I see is most cyclists raging everywhere, really its like a scene from 28 Days Later,
So, a strict rule i don't report to police, its a bit like a kid pooing in the pool and blaming the other kid,
Right ... because kids (adults too by the way) lie sometimes, people shouldn't be held accountable by the police? Where do you draw the line? Would you not report a murder because kids poo in pools and lie about whodunnit?
one thing would be to pay a tax when cycling products are purchased
That is called GST, in case you hadn't noticed... its been there since July 2000. I paid $240 GST last year for my bike.
and bide by rules that will carry to our drivers license if we don't, it will get us respect and the right
Its "abide" not bide. And I abide by the rules and still get aggressive driving from motorists. Your theory is broken.

QUARMIN

Postby QUARMIN » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:06 pm

Okaa everyone keep your Lycra on...

- "Fuel taxes are handled by the Federal Government, including both an Excise Tax and a Goods and Services Tax or "GST". The tax collected is partly used to fund national road infrastructure projects and repair roads" -WHAT / WHERE DO WE PAY? Nothing ~ fact.
- The roads were built FOR motor vehicles, hence they were their first - not cyclist, sorry again - fact. If they were built for us then we would have our designated bike lanes that we dream about, instead we have a web site forum.

I notice no one has yet acknowledged the instance with my Wife and son - It was serious prolonged aggressive threat and abuse. Her remorse for a blind spot error does not come close remorse and what she suffered in return and exposure of it to my son. As no one has acknowledged it, i will add another, my own. Remembering, i literally just got off my bike as i do every day. One year ago i was called a c**t and other words for protecting a fellow rider from a serious accident, due to the rider - a commute rider, riding in the opposite direction to traffic, and in front of park cars. One car was about to pull out, i honked immediately to try and aware the drive not to move, the rider thought i was honking at him. If i had not been a fellow and calm rider myself i can see where and why motorist do not respect us. Please.

Again, if we pay a tax and gst to contribute to the infrastructure of bike lanes, commute riders have registration tagged to our drivers license for infringements. Things we cannot avoid - tax and death right? its time we faced up and made a fair way, that's all.

REMEMBER THERE IS PRECEDENCE at state govt level to actually ban us for commuting on bikes i am sorry to raise and is another fact - under carriage and commute. This is being reviewed i can assure you, knowing of the request and provision of documents currently developed, and previous ones being circulated containing statistics and reports on accidents, injuries, liabilities, costs, police reports (it actually may be detrimental to us reporting by the way) this is not because of the lobbying of anit motorist and the fair cycling movement. Please do not forget this. I am sure every every anti website and forum is viewed. MY VIEW OF OBJECTIVE FACTS AND CHANGE is only to help us and only my thoughts are based on facts ok... You know what would actually work the best for us. If we stopped our anti forums and anti web sites and actually accepted and proposed we pay and have registration, show willingness and acceptance, the respect would be two fold even four fold!! That was wild card pipe dream thought haha :) Though true in result.

Also please do not insult me as such by telling me to think harder - i am only stating facts. Please don't.

Oh - also, i am real - I am weekly a rider - i am 41, married with 2 kids, Economics degree at Newcastle university, the real deal. Further no, not 'car - men' - that's a bit of an obscure tangent you created!, sorry, i did try and allude somewhat to my occupation of by stating my interests of fitness, running, fishing and cycling. Thank you for the kind words of my intellect (or lack of - as you nicely say) for my objective facts. A bit disappointed you said that, though i sleep happy :) Further on reflection, i am MORE THAN HAPPY, and want to provide publicly here anything and everything about me. I have nothing to hide, hiding only creates suspicion and assumptions. Will see, being a first time 'forum' lad, i intend to see how my objective facts role out. Do not assume the level or lack of abilities.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:23 pm

Jennay!!!!

(Sorry, couldn't help myself)

MM was the lady last night who didn't check or indicate before moving left out of the traffic lane (over the psuedo bike lane) to try and park in a clear space. And to the truck this morning who was turning right into the same street I was turning left into. I was giving way to the pedestrians but was wondering why they weren't crossing the road. I turn my head right and there is the truck bearing down on my so I take the gap created and go forward. I don't want to be a hood ornament today.

qvack

Postby qvack » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:27 pm

So you're upset that you almost killed someone and they got angry at you for it? Their response may not have been appropriate, but please remember that while a "blind spot incident" with another car may end up with some dents and scratches, the same with a cyclist could very well end up with them in hospital.

And I have no idea what you're talking about RE "precedence" for banning commuting. I'm glad that you're contributing original ideas about cyclists not contributing to the cost of the roads, I don't think I've seen that argument (or bike registration) mentioned anywhere else before.

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:30 pm

QUARMIN your knowlege of history is poor.

Actually roads originally happened as trade routes and then were designed for the military to move over. Specifically the romans. Although the interstates in the US .. the motorways in the UK and the autobahns in france were built in modern times specifically to allow the (admittedly motorised ) military to respond in a hurry. Bituman roads were a US inovation in the `1880s and on to make the roads more useful for cyclists. I dont think the car can claim any sort of moral right to roads.... Except in fact the very few that bicycles are banned from.

The rest was equally inaccurate. At least to the point where I gave up reading

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:31 pm

Summernight wrote:Jennay!!!!

(Sorry, couldn't help myself)
:lol: You could well be right there.
QUARMIN wrote:Okaa everyone keep your Lycra on...
In another thread Baldy was trying to get us to take our Lycra off. I'm so confused! :cry:
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.