McCarrs Creek Road Upgrade in September 2013

Spaniel

Re: McCarrs Creek Road Upgrade in September 2013

Postby Spaniel » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:55 pm

Rich-Ti wrote:
biker jk wrote:...Then they will commence resurfacing Liberator General San Martin Drive. :D
*Does a jig around the office*

Awesome news.
Yippeeee!!! What great news!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:30 pm

Indeed. :D

Pity it didn't come earlier - that road destroyed my Six13. But then, maybe that means it was on a time limit anyway. :?

Looking forward to doing laps around there on the (replacement) CAAD9!

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:35 pm

biker jk wrote:So Liberator General San Martin Drive will be resurfaced between October 21 and 30. Work will be conducted on week days only between 6am and 6pm.
Oh boy, I can feel a few PBs coming up!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

jonbays

Postby jonbays » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:36 pm

Rode it this morning and from the bus stop loop at the bottom to the top of the hill it is brilliant. Super smooth new surface! So good I am using the low ring sitting down and spinning more on the climb than I used to. Without all the little bumps you don't need to stand up and push a big gear.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:16 pm

Rode via Akuna Bay to Church Point then return via McCarrs Ck Rd. Wow! Super smooth. Did a PB on Dad's Army.

Rich-Ti

Postby Rich-Ti » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:01 pm

I'm a Church Pt now having gone up McCarrs once, done the bit from the Akuna turn-off to Terrey Hills twice and descended McCarrs just now (with Akuna twice and West Head in the middle), it's amazing!

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:56 pm

Looks like we have to block motorised traffic for good from this area if it is that good. I will give it a run tomorro.
Cycling is in my BNA

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:32 pm

I had a friend grumbling to me this morning about getting stuck behind cyclists between Church Point and Mona Vale. I told her to suck it up and invited her to come riding with me.
I also told her that coming down the hill she has no chance of keeping up with me :-)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:48 am

On overtaking, just a bit of patience required, the same we expect from cars. I will wait for a good time to pass and if they need to make space will let them know.

The McCarrs stretch is really lovely, the horrible potholes are gone and it is much nicer and much safer.
Cycling is in my BNA

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:28 am

AUbicycles wrote:On overtaking, just a bit of patience required, the same we expect from cars. I will wait for a good time to pass and if they need to make space will let them know.

The McCarrs stretch is really lovely, the horrible potholes are gone and it is much nicer and much safer.
Just to clarify, my friend was in a car, having taken the easy option to the Church Pt cafe :-)

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:47 pm

West Head road was closed today from the intersection with General Liberator San Martin Drive from about 10:30am.

We'd been riding trails and were returning via Centre Track. Found out later there was a Total Fire Ban. That means automatically that tracks and tails were closed. :oops: :oops: :oops:

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:29 pm

Rode it this morning. The resurfaced road is unbelievably good.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:43 pm

Trailgumby, did you then turn left into the first fireroad on the Akuna circuit. I passed a group of MTBers though it was probably 8 - 8:15.

Most cars were pretty good except a brown porsche or volvo SUB who passed close and cut in dangerously.
Cycling is in my BNA

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:13 pm

Nah, not that early. Checking Garmin Training Centre we hit the West Head Rd/General Whatsie intersection at 9:45. Not 10:30 as I first thought.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:20 pm

Rode it today, from Church Pt to top tollbooth. Wanted to drop into Akuna then go up and over the east side, but it was closed at the top booth, for the resurface of LGSM Drive. So I just went back down again. Feels WAY better than the old road!

Jim

rogan

Postby rogan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:50 am

familyguy wrote:Rode it today, from Church Pt to top tollbooth. Wanted to drop into Akuna then go up and over the east side, but it was closed at the top booth, for the resurface of LGSM Drive. So I just went back down again. Feels WAY better than the old road!

Jim
So were they resurfacing the western side of LGSM Drive? ie. the section where you go straight on after riding in from Terrey Hills? Good news, if so...

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:04 am

rogan wrote:
familyguy wrote:Rode it today, from Church Pt to top tollbooth. Wanted to drop into Akuna then go up and over the east side, but it was closed at the top booth, for the resurface of LGSM Drive. So I just went back down again. Feels WAY better than the old road!

Jim
So were they resurfacing the western side of LGSM Drive? ie. the section where you go straight on after riding in from Terrey Hills? Good news, if so...
I posted what they were doing earlier so to repeat. Liberator General San Martin Drive is being resurfaced. The first section they are doing is from McCarrs Ck Rd to Cottage Pt Rd from Oct 21-23. Then they do Akuna Bay to West Hd Rd Oct 24-30.

rogan

Postby rogan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:22 am

Thanks biker jk. I guess I'm a "believe it when I see it" kind of guy. I have a distinct recollection of someone posting on this or another forum that the contractor who did the West Head Rd 4 years ago had at that time confirmed that they would also be doing down to Akuna Bay to the same standard. Maybe they just meant 4 years later...

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:26 am

rogan wrote:Thanks biker jk. I guess I'm a "believe it when I see it" kind of guy. I have a distinct recollection of someone posting on this or another forum that the contractor who did the West Head Rd 4 years ago had at that time confirmed that they would also be doing down to Akuna Bay to the same standard. Maybe they just meant 4 years later...
I rode past yesterday and they had started on LGSM Drive. Gates at West Hd Rd were still closed due to fire risks as Trailgumby reported on Sunday.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:39 pm

Hi Guys,

I am planning on doing West Head/Akuna from around 9 tomorrow morning. Is there any reason to think roadworks or Fire related issues may cause us any problems?

Cheers,

Adrian

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:31 pm

vosadrian wrote:Hi Guys,

I am planning on doing West Head/Akuna from around 9 tomorrow morning. Is there any reason to think roadworks or Fire related issues may cause us any problems?

Cheers,

Adrian
West Hd Rd from the gate to lookout has been closed due to fire risks. You will need to check the Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park web site to see if it's going to be open on Saturday. Liberator General San Martin Drive is being resurfaced but no work is done on weekends. Even if it were closed you could take McCarrs Ck Rd, however, you may not be able to do West Hd. Probably better to do Bobbin Hd which unlike isn't closed like most National Parks.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:41 pm

Hi Adrian, as Biker jk says see http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/parki ... er2013.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
National park closures due to emergency fire conditions wrote:All national parks in the Greater Sydney region are closed, however Sydney Harbour National Park remains open with the following closures: ...
In Sydney’s north, the following roads will be closed until further notice:
West Head Road, Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
The following roads will remain open:
McCars Creek Road, Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
Bobbin Head Road, Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
Liberator General San Martin Drive , Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
Cottage Point Road, Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
Anything you can do, I can do slower

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:18 pm

We were already doing Bobbo on the way out.... but hoping to do around 100. Might do 3 gorges (Berrowra, Galston, Bobbo) instead.

Thanks guys... I will check the website later tonight.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:55 am

I checked the website friday evening, and decided to go to West Head/Akuna. It was all open for riding and had a great ride.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:35 am

I rode clockwise through Akuna Bay this morning. A little disappointing in terms of the resurfacing of Liberator General San Martin Drive. From the fork (toll booth) to Akuna Bay there were only six small sections of resurfacing. All before the steep and bumpy descent to Illawong Bay which wasn't touched. There's new hotmix from Akuna Bay for around one kilometre heading clockwise and a few small sections have been resurfaced from there to West Head Rd. Going downhill to Akuna Bay counter-clockwise a few small sections have been resurfaced as well (I didn't ride in this direction). Better than nothing I suppose and McCarrs Creek Rd is now fantastic so can't really complain too much.