Around the Bay 2013

Summernight

Re: Around the Bay 2013

Postby Summernight » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:30 am

im_no_pro wrote:The 2 of us rode together the entire day, only difference we can make out is my ID thingo was fairly flat & straight, his was curved.
Computer number recognition software instead of human?

That's why I want all the photos to be able to be viewed so I can find any other ones of myself. :D

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:32 am

Summernight wrote:
im_no_pro wrote:The 2 of us rode together the entire day, only difference we can make out is my ID thingo was fairly flat & straight, his was curved.
Computer number recognition software instead of human?

That's why I want all the photos to be able to be viewed so I can find any other ones of myself. :D
Just click on the find more photos button and go by location..... and yeah Im assuming software based identification.

edit: I just did that and found even more of our group pretty easily.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:02 pm

I was lucky enough to get 7 photos last year. All of the photos were at the last 1km to the finishing line which I didn't mind at all.

I was extremely lucky last year that just before the underpass tunnel (under the art centre) I decided to pull away from the 200 or so bunch (I was at the fronts when the lights went green) and flew down that hill faster than I ever have in my life LOL

I'm not sure if the picture below can show the huge grin on my face, but the camera man snapped up how I was feeling at the time. It mean't I could cruise in at my own pace towards the end. All the subsequent shots after this were taken after this moment so I was super lucky lol
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)

Saturnstarzz

Postby Saturnstarzz » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:45 pm

No pics for me or timing. Bib thing was dead straight ..

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:09 pm

Saturnstarzz wrote:No pics for me or timing. Bib thing was dead straight ..
It wasn't a bib thing .... did you have it on the front of the bike as per instructions, or did you actually pin it to your chest? :?

My group of three had ours variously fitted to the bars/steerer (more or less as instructed ... :roll: ) and everything seemed to work OK .... we even managed to isolate ourselves crossing the line - last year we were lost in the crowd.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

skull

Postby skull » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:01 pm

The price that they want for the poor quality photos they got of is not worth it imo.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Saturnstarzz

Postby Saturnstarzz » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:40 pm

cyclotaur wrote:
Saturnstarzz wrote:No pics for me or timing. Bib thing was dead straight ..
It wasn't a bib thing .... did you have it on the front of the bike as per instructions, or did you actually pin it to your chest? :?

My group of three had ours variously fitted to the bars/steerer (more or less as instructed ... :roll: ) and everything seemed to work OK .... we even managed to isolate ourselves crossing the line - last year we were lost in the crowd.
Number was dead straight on my bars on each side if my stem. Maybe I was too fast for timing. I did change rides on the Monday before.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:45 pm

Saturnstarzz wrote: ... I did change rides on the Monday before.
I think the same thing happened with bianchicam.

Sent from my iPhinger ...
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:06 pm

Yep. But finish still states Frankston return even after I'd changed it two weeks before to Sorrento-City
Ho-hum

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:53 pm

Out of interest what is the entry $ for the 250k?
They have no pricing on the site.

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:02 pm

See here: http://www.msac.com.au/teammsac/around-bay-day" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:22 pm

Thanks Michael, what's the general consensus? Good value? Do they supply feed stations with actual snacks, not first in bad luck for the rest?

skull

Postby skull » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:29 pm

The lunch stop was brilliant. The other feed stations were only water.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

neild

Postby neild » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:15 pm

Crawf wrote:Thanks Michael, what's the general consensus? Good value? Do they supply feed stations with actual snacks, not first in bad luck for the rest?
Hi Crawf, good value? We'll I guess that's each to their own but in my opinion, not really. For the price you gets jersey (which is good quality I have to admit), some lunch, a ferry ticket and the chance to ride on roads that's for a lot of it you could do any day. Ok you get to ride over the Westgate bridge but that's not that big a deal.

In saying that though, would I do it again? Definitely. While it has it's frustrating bits because it has become so massive, this year I did it with a group of 20 or so work colleges and it's as much about the ride as it is the comradery and getting the 'weaker' riders across the line. I've done it solo and in a group and definitely much better in a group.

I've only ever done the 210 and I've heard that the extra 40 or so you do to make it up to 250 is really boring.

The lunch stop is good. Very welcomed after 100km. From memory is was a chicken sandwich (you can tick vego options too), Gatorade and some sort of cake thing. Definitely good to get real food. Any other stops are just water and BYO food / gels. They mark your wrist band when you get your lunch so as far as I'm aware there is enough for everyone.

One thing to be aware of is the ferry timing. It only runs every hour and as you arrive you get a coloured sticker to indicate which ferry. We were lucky last year that we only had a 15 minute wait. If we'd arrived 5 minutes later we would have had to wait an hour for the next ferry. I did hear stories of people having 2+ hour waits later in the day. If that was the case I would just turn around and ride back the way I came.

Also the M-Q-S-M route sells out very quickly. It seems to be the preferred route.

Hope that helps.
Cheers
Norco VFR1 Disc, Merida 903, Mofo Single Speed, Giant MTB, soon to be vintage Gazelle fixie

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:04 am

Thanks for the response Neil, i'm still undecided on whether to give it a go. It would be an expensive trip (flight) for a potentially boring ride.
What's stopping someone from taking the 250 route if you signed up for the 210? I mean if the 250 route is 'full', being open roads and all? Just curious.

skull

Postby skull » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:39 am

There is nothing stopping someone just riding it and not signing up at all.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:58 am

Nope I guess not, just your moral fibres.

djw47

Postby djw47 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:31 pm

Crawf wrote:Out of interest what is the entry $ for the 250k?
They have no pricing on the site.
It was about $180 last year. It's a good day out, not the most exciting course as it's pretty much flat the whole way round, but then that makes it fairly easy even over the longer distances. I think it's as much about the achievement as the ride, to say that you've ridden round the bay in one go is what it's about rather than it being a technical course. I think you could quite easily swap from 210 to 250 and vice versa as they follow the same route for most of the way with a 40km detour from Geelong to Queenscliff for the longer route. For me the biggest problem is the number of people who overstate their ability and start in the first few waves and then cannot keep the pace they think they can - you end up spending loads of time trying to pass plodders which can be tricky on some parts of the route at the start.

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:56 pm

neild wrote:
I've only ever done the 210 and I've heard that the extra 40 or so you do to make it up to 250 is really boring.
I've only done 210 Neil but the extra 40 is the coast of the Bellarine Peninsula and is pretty.

It's extra time on an already long day, of course. :)

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:23 pm

I have done both the 250 & 210 and while I doubt I will do the ABD again (for many reasons) I wont bother doing the 250. The extra distance includes the 10km bay crossing so its not actually 250km of cycling and the extra distance gets you to queenscliff later and thus you increase your risk of having to wait longer for a ferry

I have not put the ABD on my event list for 2014 as its an expensive long flat slog that I have done now and I think I prefer riding in the hills. If I want to ride the pretty part (Melb to Sorrento) I can do that whenever I want to

I reserve the right to change my mind next year or the year after but I will be giving it a miss in 2014
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

snark

Postby snark » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:48 pm

yarravalleyplodder wrote:I have done both the 250 & 210 and while I doubt I will do the ABD again (for many reasons) I wont bother doing the 250. The extra distance includes the 10km bay crossing so its not actually 250km of cycling and the extra distance gets you to queenscliff later and thus you increase your risk of having to wait longer for a ferry

I have not put the ABD on my event list for 2014 as its an expensive long flat slog that I have done now and I think I prefer riding in the hills. If I want to ride the pretty part (Melb to Sorrento) I can do that whenever I want to

I reserve the right to change my mind next year or the year after but I will be giving it a miss in 2014
Interesting - I've been thinking much the same myself lately. I've been on a few rides in the mountains with the Hells 500/Climbing Cyclist 7 Peaks Domestique series and even though they're shorter rides they're much more satisfying. I consider the 65km ride that included Mt Baw Baw much harder than the 210km ATB from a couple of months earlier. I've got a week planned in Falls Creek next month that I'm quite excited about.

I'll do the two big rides down my way (the Otway Classic in March and the Amy's Gran Fondo later in the year) which are bit lumpy but I've really got no great desire to do ATB again.

Unlike you I've got my "pretty" part around the Bellarine Peninsula I can do any weekend without worrying about ferries :).

Cheers,
Simon.
Phil Liggett, TdF 2011, Alpe-d'Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow."