Munda Biddi - Jarrahdale to Collie

Phil

Munda Biddi - Jarrahdale to Collie

Postby Phil » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:56 pm

Hi All
Doing this next week over three days, as two of the gents I am doing it with are not "Happy Campers", Heard there are a few issues about people getting lost on map 3a about an hour to an hour and a half out of Lake Brockman. DEC are going to investigate it, but I am not sure if we will hear back before we start our trip next Thursday. Has anyone gone through this section recently? Can they highlight any issues?

On a brighter note did the Mundaring to Jarrahdale leg last Saturday, and it was a good trip - even with a couple of diversions in place due to the burnoffs, that made it a touch faster but way more boring. At least the rain kept the flies away. We also now know that Emus runs far in excess of 45kph.

Cheers
Phil

rifraf

Re: Munda Biddi - Jarrahdale to Collie

Postby rifraf » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:50 am

Hi Phil
Look forward to hearing more about your Munda Biddi experiences.
It wasnt just there that the flies have been wild. I rode from Yanchep to Two Rocks Marina today in search of a Marine Engineer to weld a stainless front rack.
The flies were in plague proportions and I realise its time to break out the head net as they made riding just a misery.
What are the available maps like? Its a pricy outgoing buying the set and I'd like an assurance they are worth it. Any opinions? Did you buy the guide as well?
Cheers :)
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Phil

Postby Phil » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:00 pm

Hi Rifraf

The northern section maps are a few years old now, so seems to be 2-3 semi-permanent diverts/realignments. Still useful for trip planning and working out where you are on the trail.

Yes I bought the guide, but it was not terribly useful to be honest, would be better if you were not a local, as it didn't really tell me a lot I did not already know. Once again its a few years old as well. So more relevant information on the Munda Biddi website.

Looks like its going to be warming up next week, so the flies should be out in force. Legionnaire cap under helmet, and bug net over it.

Cheers
Phil

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:28 pm

I rode Nanga to Collie 2 weeks ago.

The diversion you are talking about is obvious. Just follow the signs/trail markers.

In Collie follow Ewing Street to the end. There is a sign on a light pole that the "locals" have turned to point up a side road to the right. If you look in the distance you can see the yellow marker at the end of Ewing Street.

On map 3b. Just before Collie. about 2km before Harris road you cross Mornington Road. Just north of Mornington Road. The Trail has a right turn over a foot bridge. I have missed this turn twice. If you end up in a gravel pit you have missed the turn.

There is a diversion along the Power line after Myles Avenue . The powerline track is not nice to ride. It would be difficult to ride it with a trailer or fully loaded bike.

I should have ( I haven't downloaded it from my GPS yet) a GPS log of the ride if you want a copy.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:57 pm

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:15 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:Strava maps here Munda Biddi Mountain Bike Trail ie here
Hi Mitzikatzi,
Thank you for the links - cant wait to read the blog in the first one.
At a glance looks like some very helpful stuff.

Not sure what strava is or does........ :oops:
The link appears to give morning ride map and elevation info on Wednesday, April 24, 2013
Safe to assume this a section of the Biddi? :oops:
Any chance of a heads up?
Last edited by rifraf on Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:30 pm

That is Yarri Campsite to Lake Brockman. Day 18 Track link on blog

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:52 pm

After some experimenting I've worked out how to click on and drag the map around a bit on the second link page.
Is there a way to enlarge the map?
I can zoom in and out ok but the view is too small for my eyes to glean much.
Ive yet to learn how to use the different maps on the net. :oops:

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:36 pm

Current diversions here ie Map 3 - Nanga to Collie

The Munda Biddi "paper" maps are good enough to ride the Trail with. I would take a GPS to find my position on the map if I was lost. The Trail makers show you the way.

Lots of maps etc on the net. These 2 are a little old (not including current diversions)
These are from a forum member
lake-brookman-caravan-park-to-yarri-camp-route

yarri-campsite-to-collie-munda-biddi-tra-route

Buy the paper maps and support the foundation that built the Trail.
Last edited by mitzikatzi on Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:31 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:
The maps are good enough to ride the Trail with. I would take a GPS to find my position on the map if I was lost. The Trail makers show you the way.
[/url]
Is there a way to make them full screen?
Is there a way to print off the maps?
I'm unsure if its my laptop settings but the map for me is a small box on the screen surrounded by lots of other stuff like elevation charts.
I'm unfamiliar with using maps online hence me asking. :oops:

I know some people can comprehend this sort of stuff form their small screen phones but its beyond me how they do it.
My laptop I think is 13" and I'm not feeling the love :o

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:53 pm

Top right of small map. Click on full screen (4 arrows in a box)

Then on left hand side next to the search box click on button with 4 arrows.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:00 pm

Or Download Garmin Basecamp

Download some Open source maps (of choice)

Download GPX file of choice. Open and view in Basecamp

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:15 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:Top right of small map. Click on full screen (4 arrows in a box)

Then on left hand side next to the search box click on button with 4 arrows.
Thanks heaps - easy when you know how and frustrating when you dont.

mitzikatzi wrote:Or Download Garmin Basecamp

Download some Open source maps (of choice)

Download GPX file of choice. Open and view in Basecamp
I'll have a crack at that tomorrow.
I hope its easier to work out than I initially found the Garmin training center.
I just opened that (training center) in the hope your above instructions to make the top map enlarge but I was too optimistic :lol: :lol:
I'll give Basecamp a twirl when I'm feeling a little more open minded. :idea:
Appreciate the suggestion :!:

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:28 pm

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:39 pm

To view the Strava maps full screen. Set up an account and log in. Same deal click box top right 4 arrows.

To download GPX you need to be a paid member $60 a year or $6 for a month

Phil

Postby Phil » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:22 pm

Thanks for the Links Mitzikatzi. we are planning on doing Lake Brockman to Collie on Day 3, and looking at the elevation profiles its much easier that the Mundaring to Jarrahdale leg we did last weekend which had 1200m of climb over the day.

Phil

Postby Phil » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:00 pm

Just got back.

Doing Jarrahdale to Collie over three days was a touch brutal, even pacing ourselves and with regular breaks, by day three the acid was still hanging around the legs ready to burn at a moments notice. Pushing a loaded bike up 10%+ loose slopes was pretty tiring - just could not get traction, walking or riding. Could not believe how much water we went through - 6-7L each per day. Was over 3,000m of climb over the three days.

Even checking the trail conditions website last Tuesday, we had two diverts that were not shown. Everything was well signposted, pretty amazing effort really.

One of them was on road from Nanga due to some bushfires (when we went through the diversion track there were still some logs smoldering), the other one was just outside of Collie.

HIghlight was definately around Dwellingup, the forest there and tracks are pretty special. We even saw a couple of big goannas on the track, they move pretty quick, as do Emus.

Lowlight was the divert down the Muja Powerlines outside of Collie (about 12-13kms), the northern section was really loose, there was no shade and the temperature just kept cranking up (to 33 degrees), and it was pretty much hell on earth. The shady singletrack after that with the mud was pure bliss.

Only been back a few hours and the boys are already planning the next stage from Collie to Pemberton. But that one we will be doing on our FAT bikes.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:22 pm

There is a bushfire alert in place for Dardanup which may impact on the Munda Biddi.

Andrew