World 1,000 Mile Record, Brisbane-Melbourne 2014

Lukeyboy

Re: World 1,000 Mile Record, Brisbane-Melbourne 2014

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:34 pm

Garmin also have a heap of additional battery rechargers. Problem is where the recharge port is located on some devices.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:23 pm

Or a dynohub and have both power for lights that won't go flat, and USB power for other stuff.

Cheers,

Cameron

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:12 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, my google searching had indicated that external battery packs might be the way to go, apparently not all of them will allow the device (Garmin in most examples) to continue recording, so that's something to make sure of.

The other side of it is working out what the data storage limit is? I haven't been able to find an answer on that for any brand of GPS yet.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:36 am

A phone is sounding better and better Lachie. With a power device hooked up to my iPhone, Strava will still continue to record. I know every body rags on smart phones but I never seem to have the same issues as others I ride with who use Garmins et al.

I also think data will not be a problem. Although the longest I have ever run Strava continuously was 14hrs.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:39 pm

A long time between updates, but then there hasn't been a lot to update! There have been some very cold days here this winter (ok cold by local standards!) and several months ago after a 100+mile ride in bitterly cold temperatures (http://www.strava.com/activities/61593092#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) left me mentally shattered I realised it was counter productive to keep trying to do 8-9hr+ rides in those conditions. So since then it has been all sub 100k rides, most around 40-70k but setting a pretty good pace on some of them. One particular highlight was doing repeats of Bellthorpe south-west of Maleny to complete the Rapha Rising challenge on Strava http://www.strava.com/activities/67908938#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

But now the weather is starting to warm up a bit so the long rides are back!

Last Tuesday I got up at 3am and set off at 3:45 in fairly nippy but clear conditions. From Coolum it was down through Caboolture to Samford, over Mt Glorious to Wivenhoe, up past Somerset Dam to Kilcoy, then back to Caboolture on the D'Aguilar and up to the top of Steve Irwin Way where my wife picked me up (I could have kept going but was running out of time). 14.5hrs in total for 315kms, moving average was 28.4kmh but I had more time stopped than I would have liked so the overall average was more like 24kmh. The best part was sitting on 40+kmh heading into Caboolture with 270kms on the clock :) . http://www.strava.com/activities/61593092#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Importantly I was able to back up to do 51k the next evening and another 89k the night after that. Tomorrow I will be up early to do a run from Coolum to Woodford and back, "only" 210kms but i'm looking at hitting it at a much faster pace than usual, and absolute minimum stopped time. Should be good :) .

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:48 pm

Time for an update Lachie...
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:31 pm

Not a lot to update lately, my fitness and speed is improving in leaps and bounds (50+kmh average speeds for flat segments on Strava) but I haven't been able to get a 100+km ride in for some time due to work/family commitments. That will be changing NEXT WEEK though! 2 big rides lined up to get me ready to knock off one of my new year's resolutions by the 2nd week of November :) .

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:01 pm

Subscribed... I'm wanting to have a go at a 1000km loop over 4 days, probably going to have about 10000m climbing in there (including the Fitz Extreme on the second day). I've gotta say if you intend on making it to the goal, you are going to have to punch out a 600km weekend at least every fortnight to build a strong enough base as you close in on the attempt. My biggest concern for me is how much I'll ruin my 1-30 minute efforts training for it.

Might be worth a few tries at logging a century after dinner, then waking up 90 minutes later, logging another century, then sleeping again for another 90 minutes. Do it Friday... you'll be shattered, but realistically, you are better off maintaining a 30kph avg with a few hours sleep than 28kph and none. You'll have to break your body's normal sleep routine... might qualify for SAS afterwards LOL

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:16 pm

:shock: deadset read my mind mate!

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:19 pm

Alternatively you could do a few solo 24hr mtb events. Even more HTFU for mind and body. :D

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:24 pm

A guy I see on the bunch ride reckoned the 24hr MTB race ruined him for 2 weeks? He's a strong strong rider too. The transition period is really really serious; then again, I don't know what kind of effort is required to punch out 600 a couple times a month. Jeez, time for bed... bunch ride calling!

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:23 am

Xplora wrote:A guy I see on the bunch ride reckoned the 24hr MTB race ruined him for 2 weeks? He's a strong strong rider too. The transition period is really really serious; then again, I don't know what kind of effort is required to punch out 600 a couple times a month. Jeez, time for bed... bunch ride calling!
Your pretty knackered by the end. And I've never done one non stop. I think the most I have done is about 18hrs of riding in one.

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:38 am

Do you have a date yet?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:52 am

Sadly no, other than "definitely not this year" :( . Money is the big limiting factor, but i will still be building up my long distances in a big way over the next few months :) . I managed to get in 174kms and 3500m of climbing last sunday :) .

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:27 pm

Finally got another long ride done, it's been far too long :) . "Only" 207kms and my legs were rubbish from the get go but I made the distance so i'm happy :) .

http://www.strava.com/activities/127335803" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just found out there is a 12hr ride happening at Lakeside Raceway next sunday to raise money for the Daniel Morcombe Foundation, I may be coming down with a cold but hopefully i'll be able to do it.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:01 am

Cranked out 350-360 last Friday for Endure for a Cure over 12 hours of saddle time
Maybe?
I am not sure how you will cope nutrition wise unless you teach yourself to ride on proper food. I had a wrap, Pepsi and a choc muffin - and probably 8-10 gels, 3 litres of electrolyte drinks ( it was cold all day), I maxed out their daily limits. The advantage you have on 1000 miles is you can afford to allow for digestion i guess hehehe

Oh btw carbon saddle with carbon rails. I told a mate my last 10km (ride from the track) felt like being spanked with a lead pipe. The roads aren't that rough either!

12 hour should be a good test. Good luck!

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:50 pm

There's no way I would be doing 12hr's in the saddle unless it was my Brooks Pro.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:08 pm

Easy fix, do it out of the saddle :twisted: . Faster faster!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:51 pm

SMP Forma did me very very well. My butt was understandably worn out at the end, but I haven't had anything resembling heavy saddle time (250km+ a week) for maybe 2 months.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:30 am

Preaching to the choir here, I've used a Strike Extra for a couple of years now, easily the most comfortable saddle I've tried (and yes SSS that includes Brooks :) ).

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:26 pm

Well it's been a long time between posts on this thread, but i finally have an update.

No, the 1,000 mile record is not happening this year, or any time in the foreseeable future, as my wife and i will be welcoming our first child at the end of July. Apparently our daughter will be making up for my poor punctuality by arriving a good couple of years early!

My intention for this year was to break the Guinness record for distance cycled in one week (note "Guinness" is very important) as a springboard to a possible 1,000 mile attempt towards the end of the year. With the deadline that has suddenly been imposed, the plan is now to just make the 7 day attempt in early-mid June and hopefully the 1,000 miler will follow some years down the track when Mrs LDR no longer has very young littlies to look after by herself while i go galavanting around the countryside.

Now the 7 day record is a bit of a complicated one, besides Pat Hawkins of Western Australia breaking women's mark (and also the men's record held by the famous Ossie Nicholson) in 1940 with 2,489kms, there is next to no info out there. Guinness have told me i need to cover at least 2,800kms to take the record. Now obviously there have been many cyclists who have covered far more than that distance over 7 days, notably Christoph Strasser (who recently broke the 24hr record) who covered 4,860kms on last year's RAAM in 7d15h56m. But the "idea" is that none of those people have covered such distances with the intent of breaking the "7 day record" and Guinness do not accept retrospective applications. A bit silly i know.

Now the really interesting thing here is the only reason the 7 day record came up is because Bruce Berkeley of the UK supposedly broke the record last year, with 2,825kms. The thing is, when Guinness finally got back to me just a week or so ago (3 months after i first contacted them) i explained that the very restrictive guidelines they specified for my attempt could not have been fulfilled by Berkeley when he broke the record.

Their response- "GWR currently has no record holder for this category of 'Greatest distance cycled in one week - unpaced'."

I have emailed them seeking clarification, as i don't want to go mouthing off until i am 100% sure of what they are saying. As it is, i am hoping to get the guidelines altered, as the requirements for witnesses and pre measuring of the route by a surveyor range from extremely difficult to downright impossible.

More info as i get it.