Italian here, looking for ideas for a big bike tour

obikiller

Italian here, looking for ideas for a big bike tour

Postby obikiller » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:19 am

Hi there!
My name is Matteo, i'm an italian cyclist and will soon be in australia (dec 2013 - march 2014).
I'm landing in Sydney and spending few weeks there to gather more ideas and all the gears i need to go for a one month and half bike trip, alone and unsupported, somewhere around there.
I checked some topics and some website, and have already decided to give up doing the Sydney to Perth route, due to high chances of death crossing the Nullarbour. I have no restrictions, just want to have fun, see overwhelming scenaries, ride a lot and survive. I'm more than willing to camp.
Do you have any reccomendations? I love cycling overlooking the ocean and would also love to explore Tasmania.

Thanks guys :)

Matteo

elantra

Re: Italian here, looking for ideas for a big bike tour

Postby elantra » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:10 pm

Hi Matteo, at that time of the year your touring options are limited to the more temperate parts of Australia. Not the tropics or the inland.

Suggestions would include - (not really in any order of preference)

........ South Island of New Zealand (But dont try to ride down the NZ West Coast)
East coast of Tasmania
Mornington Peninsula and/or Great Ocean Road, Victoria.
Kangaroo Island, South Australia
Munda Biddi trail, Western Australia,

Thats a few ideas to get you planning further,
Good luck
Steve

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:45 pm

Here's a tour I did earlier this year that was super bueno! There is a lot more to explore in the region as well. That website, crazyguyonabike.com should offer up some good suggestions if you narrow your search to Austalia.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:50 pm

obikiller wrote:I love cycling overlooking the ocean and would also love to explore Tasmania.
Then you should do the Giro Tasmania. Lots of information about it here on my tour journal.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:59 pm

Fly to Hobart. Ride the east coast of Tasmania (there are some handy side-routes too). At StHelens visit the Bay of Fires, You could then take the northabout route via Gladstone and Bridport, or the main road over Weldborough Pass. Carry on across to Devonport to get the ferry to Melbourne. Take the train to Geelong then ride the Great Ocean Road through to Apollo Bay, Port Campbell and Warrnambool

That gives you two of the best coastal routes around, and would probably take you something between 2 1/2 to 4 weeks, depending on how much stopping and sightseeing you do.

After that (or before if you wish) you could tour through the Snowy Mountains for a week or two.

BTW, by far the best coastal route I've ever cycled is back home - the west coast of Corsica. An absolute jewel, far better than any coastal riding in Australia.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

obikiller

Postby obikiller » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:17 am

Thanks a lot guys for your ideas
Concerning NZ, i don't want to go there this time. i think those two islands deserve more than just a visit, and i would love to explore part of australia this time.
i was thinking about tasmania, since everybody told me it's just great!

@ilpadrone: i always get to ride in tuscany and sicily for work, so i'm quite used to the scenery you posted: just amazing. This time i'd like to see something different ;)

BTW: do you have any ideas of where to buy a Salsa Fargo in AU?

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:54 pm

elantra wrote:South Island of New Zealand (But dont try to ride down the NZ West Coast)
Oh? Why not? I've done it. Well, I rode up it, and it was a great ride...

elantra

Postby elantra » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:51 am

RonK wrote:
elantra wrote:South Island of New Zealand (But dont try to ride down the NZ West Coast)
I would agree that for a fit and very experienced cycle tourist that would be quite desirable.

But not knowing the level of experience of the author of the topic, it could be a steep learning curve.

I travelled from Greymouth to Wanaka along the Haast highway on a bus earlier this year.

The weather was nearly perfect when i was there, but that part of NZ does have a reputation for formidable weather conditions.

I did notice that it is a very long way, with long distances between communities, lots of narrow bridges and generally narrow roads.

In other words, 0ther parts of the South Island seemed to have easier riding conditions :wink:

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:46 pm

elantra wrote:
RonK wrote:
I would agree that for a fit and very experienced cycle tourist that would be quite desirable.

But not knowing the level of experience of the author of the topic, it could be a steep learning curve.

I travelled from Greymouth to Wanaka along the Haast highway on a bus earlier this year.

The weather was nearly perfect when i was there, but that part of NZ does have a reputation for formidable weather conditions.

I did notice that it is a very long way, with long distances between communities, lots of narrow bridges and generally narrow roads.

In other words, 0ther parts of the South Island seemed to have easier riding conditions :wink:
Well, I have cycled toured the central and southern parts of the South Island and will return to tour the northern part before long.

Narrow roads and bridges can be encountered anywhere in EnZed. At least on the west coast there is hardly any traffic using them.

If you are touring EnZed, the only predictable thing about the weather is that it is changeable. You will get hot, cold, wet, sweat - such is life for the touring cyclist.

Yes, it did rain quite heavily for one day at Haast. I stayed in bed. The next day I made up by riding two sections - 125km. That was the longest section on the west coast, but only by my choice.

I would strongly encourage any cycle tourist - do not miss the west coast. In fact if there is any part of the South Island to be avoided it is the busy State Highway (SH1) which runs along the east coast.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:00 pm

elantra wrote:
RonK wrote:

Crikey that must be a tough tour :?

No idea of the OP's experience either but he was considering riding the Nullarbor (I know, every foreigner does) and he rides a bit in Tuscany and Sicily so he may have some experience. I'd doubt the west coast of NZ is too much tougher than many parts of Australia eg. getting up int the Great Dividing Range, the west coast of Tassie, riding to Adelaide with north-westerlies in winter.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

obikiller

Postby obikiller » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:46 am

Hey there!
thanks for all your ideas. I'm quite fit, i used to ride almost every day from may this year, and i love hills.
Anyway i won't go to NZ this time, i prefer to explore AU and go there another time..

I love the idea of the tour of Tasmania, and i think i would also love sydney to adelaide.
Did anybody do it?

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:00 pm

obikiller wrote:Hey there!
thanks for all your ideas. I'm quite fit, i used to ride almost every day from may this year, and i love hills.
Anyway i won't go to NZ this time, i prefer to explore AU and go there another time..

I love the idea of the tour of Tasmania, and i think i would also love sydney to adelaide.
Did anybody do it?
Sydney to Adelaide on a bicycle would be good but you would need to work out a route that avoids busy roads.
That might be hard.
Also serious heatwaves can occur in Jan/Feb/March.

What would be wonderful would be to ride from Sydney to Adelaide and then return on the Overnight train through Broken Hill.
I have been on this train once and it was lot of fun. From Adelaide to Sydney.
Great scenery but costs some dollars.
http://www.greatsouthernrail.com.au/sit ... acific.jsp