Fitz's Challenge 2013 registration now open‏

singlespeedscott

Re: Fitz's Challenge 2013 registration now open‏

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:47 pm

Did the extreme last year. I think Honeysuckle was tougher than Corin Forest and the dam.

joomz

Postby joomz » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:03 am

Made an attempt at mapping the new 250 route on strava: http://www.strava.com/routes/47901" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Still 5000m of climbing!

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:26 am

joomz wrote:Made an attempt at mapping the new 250 route on strava: http://www.strava.com/routes/47901" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Still 5000m of climbing!
Thanks for that Joomz

rogan

Postby rogan » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:54 am

Thanks Joomz - it still looks easier. You and Jono will whip round that course! At 6 km shorter as well, I reckon it could be up to 30-40 minutes quicker than the normal course.

Cheers

Josh

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:44 am

That's interesting. I was only talking with one of the pedal power peeps on Tuesday. This was not what was being touted. Either way I'm keen for some climbing. Have only done one > 120km ride lately, but at least I got some hill reps in this year.

So, who is doing 250 and what are you wearing so we can say hi on the run? I will be wearing black TWE wheelset kit riding a red, white and black Merida reacto.

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:52 am

Oops. Correction. Riding for CycleCity next week. In black and orange CycleCity kit.

rogan

Postby rogan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:56 am

Doing the 205 km, and finished my real training yesterday. I've got a 60 km spin on Wednesday with one reasonable climb and a short 30 km warmup on Saturday, which should hopefully bring my form up. Going with a group of 16 or so, 2 doing the 255, 8 doing the 205 and 6 doing the 165. Most of us will be in MLC jerseys. Not the investment company, rather "Mid Life Cyclists".

Time to shift to actual preparation:

1. Weather and clothing. Long term forecast is mostly sunny and 2C to 23C. It's likely to be at its coldest at 6 am, but it gets much warmer, and quickly. I'll keep an eye on that during the week, but if it holds, in addition to my normal gear, I will take summer and winter gloves, arm and knee warmers, shoe covers and the warm helmet liner. Merino t shirt for under jersey. Of that lot, if it turns out to be sunny but cold at the start (as predicted), I would hope to get away with just arm warmers and merino top. Maybe winter gloves (taking the summer set in the back pocket and swap as soon as possible). Shoe covers are great when it's freezing, but miserable in warm sunny weather (3PC 2012 I had to pour cold water on my feet at Anglers Rest), so to be avoided if possible. Make sure all items are clean and ready to wear.

2. What else to take? Pump, CO2 canister and two tubes are compulsory for every ride. Additional items as follows... Personally, I won't touch fruitcake or raisin toast, and try to avoid high sugar snacks till the end of the ride. I will pack two cheese sandwiches, probably 5 bars (High 5 and powerbars) 4 gels (High 5 - which are high sugar, but don't leave you flat in quite the same way as lollies), a third tube, and some nurofen. Taking drugs in the middle of a long ride is not something to do lightly, but my neck and back sometimes seize up and in the sun for a whole day I can get a heat headache as well. Don't take any drugs on an empty stomach. Also, sunburn cream is pretty much essential. Two bidons, both with water for the first half. I will take formula in an empty Eclipse Mint box, and use that in the second bottle from about halfway. Ensure all elements are available Friday, and make sure there's a plan to replace anything missing.

3. The course. The course change makes the ride somewhat easier. The additional section, through Uriarra crossing, does have an uphill portion, but after that first km up from the crossing, most of it is at 1-2% or so to the Mt McDonald turnoff. There are also two descents (3 Sisters and Mt McDonald). They have taken away the top 6 km of Corin Forest, which is very slow in an uphill direction but quite fast downhill, and the mostly downhill section from SFP to Cotter Dam is out as well - but the section from SFP to Uriarra Crossing is comparable to the normal starting section. Overall, I reckon the 2013 205 km course is 15 minutes faster on average than the usual course (despite being a bit longer). The 255 km course is shorter and would have an even larger time gap over the normal course, and given the fastest time last year was 9 hours 16, I would expect the fastest 255 riders to finish in under 9 hours (averaging about 28 km/h).

4. The plan. Get up at 4.30, 4 weetbix, shouldn't need more, some water, no coffee or tea (don't want a nature break at the 30 km mark!). Out to the course in plenty of time. Stay rugged up as long as possible if it's cold. Last year, on a good day personally and weather wise, I had 8 hours 15 min riding time, for the 205 km. I had a short stop at the top of Fitz's, Tharwa and Mt McDonald, with longer stops at Honeysuckle and Corin Forest. Total stops were about 35 minutes. The weather was similar to the prediction for this year. The plan, stay with a group till Fitz's (73 km). Suffer up Fitz's and the next 13 km to the turnaround. I can't climb Apollo Rd worrying about water, so probably refill at Rendezvous Creek. Compulsory stops at Honeysuckle (119 km) and Woods Reserve (157 km). Plan is about 5-10 minutes rest at each of those, with full refills of all water and eating. Targeting a total of 20 minutes of breaks. Target is, 8 hours riding time, and if I have a reasonable day that's realistic (26 km/h). Minimise the risk of mechanical issues, and do not fall off - in particular take it easy going down Fitz's Hill, the 3 Sisters and Mt McDonald.

5. The night before... My mates are all loading up on pasta and pizza. I can have some of that, but for some crazy reason pasta gives me a funny belly for riding and I ride better on steak and rice. And a couple of glasses of red wine. Coming down from Sydney, in an unfamiliar bed, getting up at 4.30 am - warrants an early night. Red wine helps that. Want to be all fed and ready for bed by 9. Pack all items in my jersey before bed.

6. This week: check both tyres thoroughly and replace if any flaws. Pick out all glass and any other foreign objects. Got an annoying cleat, must be replaced. Slight indexing issues at the RD, fix it. Brakes were noisy yesterday, have a look at that. Check all the above are fixed and working 100% before Wednesday. Fill both tyres Sat AM, before my quick spin, and check Saturday afternoon. Take tools to Canberra anyway, and a spare tyre.

ACT SC600

Postby ACT SC600 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:19 pm

Did a 215k ride up to honeysuckle on Saturday if this helps... Left home at 520am

Packed
1 tube
2 protein bars
4 muesli bars
2 bananas
2 peanut butter and honey sambos
4 winners gels
4 lollipops
2 bottles filled with Gatorade (finished one then filled it up with water)
4 nurofens
Sunscreen

Clothing
Fingerless gloves with some knitted billabong gloves over the top
Cell bib shorts
Nike discovery short sleeve
Arm warmers and leg warmers
Socks
Hat

Removed leg warmers at base of honeysuckle
Removed gloves and arm warmers at the top of honeysuckle

Filled water bottles at tharwa (up and back)

My fingers and toes feel the cold the most and I was quite comfortable with that... IMHO I think the baselayer is overdoing it (you don't want to cook yourself)

Overall we did over 3000m climbing at an average of 27kph.... Enjoy the ride on Sunday!!

I still had 4 muesli bars, 1 lollipop, 1 banana and 1 gel left after the roll.....

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:54 pm

Fitz's website now says the Extreme goes out to Condor Creek in lieu of going to Corin Dam (still goes as far as Woods Reserve), so slightly shorter distance of 253km.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:49 pm

Last year I carted to much gear

This year I will have 2 tubes, CO2 cartridges and tools etc.

Clothing wise, if it's like last year, a gillette, arm warmers, and long fingered mtb gloves with a buff under the helmet and over the ears.

Food will only consist of some dates and a couple of muesli bars. Last year there was more than enough food at the checkpoints so there is no point carting to much.

riles

Postby riles » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:00 pm

very much appreciate the people whove taken the time to go into detail of what youve taken on the ride before!

this is the first time ive done fitz / any monster ride before ( biggest was 165) fully supported - doing the 205 challenge. do people just carry all the food and gear in their jersey pockets or are people carrying small backpacks aswell to accomodate the extra needs? realise this is probably a very basic question, but never done the fitz, so figure id rather be safe than sorry!

cant wait for sunday!

rogan

Postby rogan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:06 pm

Jersey pockets and a small saddlebag. If it doesn't fit, you probably don't need it.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:06 am

singlespeedscott wrote:
Clothing wise, if it's like last year, a gillette ...

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:12 am

Ross wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:
Clothing wise, if it's like last year, a gillette ...
Ha ha. Stupid Tap-A-Talk predictive texting :lol:

ro.

Postby ro. » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:15 am

i'd suggest taking the very minimum, you pay the money because its got heaps of support. Last year there was so much food and drinks. Stuff carrying excess up all those climbs!

2 tubes, 2 c02, 2 bottles. 2 gels. done.

anttismo

Postby anttismo » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:42 am

Hey All,

Been a lurker for a while, 1st time poster...

Signed myself up for the 255km option. Never done an event like this, although have been training for a bit working at longer rides with climbing as prep. Sounds like the food stops are well catered from earlier posts. Reason I mention this is that I normally carry a fair bit of stuff on rides in my pockets, so was a bit worried about amount of food needed. For example, my last training ride was a hilly ride from melbourne out to a climb of mt donna buang and return - about 215 kms, over 9 hrs, 5000m climbing (according to strava). I think I got through about 6 or 8 museli bars, a couple of jam sangers. That is about as much as I can carry, along with 2 tubes, CO2, a few tools, etc. I also needed to tuck away some leg warmers, windbreaker, glove liners, and a few bits and peices when it warmed up. So anyway, it sounds like I don't really need to carry anymore than that on the ride. I guess food can be bought from tharwa too if needed?

Looking forward to the event, and the forecast sound close to ideal. Based on the rides I've been doing, I'm fairly confident I can reach my target to average 22~23km/h even if it windy, so make it comfortably within the 13.5 hrs. Might bump into some of yous out there :)

Antti.

njosey17

Postby njosey17 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:27 pm

ACT SC600 wrote:Did a 215k ride up to honeysuckle on Saturday if this helps... Left home at 520am

Packed
1 tube
2 protein bars
4 muesli bars
2 bananas
2 peanut butter and honey sambos
4 winners gels
4 lollipops
2 bottles filled with Gatorade (finished one then filled it up with water)
4 nurofens
Sunscreen

Clothing
Fingerless gloves with some knitted billabong gloves over the top
Cell bib shorts
Nike discovery short sleeve
Arm warmers and leg warmers
Socks
Hat

Removed leg warmers at base of honeysuckle
Removed gloves and arm warmers at the top of honeysuckle

Filled water bottles at tharwa (up and back)

My fingers and toes feel the cold the most and I was quite comfortable with that... IMHO I think the baselayer is overdoing it (you don't want to cook yourself)

Overall we did over 3000m climbing at an average of 27kph.... Enjoy the ride on Sunday!!

I still had 4 muesli bars, 1 lollipop, 1 banana and 1 gel left after the roll.....
Hahahah - I couldn't stop laughing as I read this mate!

I did the same ride on Saturday (only 182km though - luckily I don't live as far north!) and took:

Long fingered gloves
Arm warmers
Knee warmers
Gilet
Headband for under helmet (removed all warmers on the way back at Moonrock cafe - about 125km in)
3 winners bars
2 winners gels
2 packs winners chomps
1 banana

I was FAH-reezing (hands and toes) until about 60-70km, but then was golden. Was starting to warm up a bit by the time we got back to Moonrock, so probs a good system.

In terms of food, I agree with other posters - take the minimum, that's (partly) what you pay for on these types of rides. That being said, I crashed HARD on this ride - if it wasn't for an emergency banana from ACT SC600 at the last of the three sisters, I was cactus, lol. Still recovering from it now, so good luck to all!

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:06 pm

Pack you winter woolies for Sunday people. Weather forecast is for 0 degrees in the morning with frost. :lol:

A bit of a shock for this Queenslander given that my ride on Wednesday was done in 38 degree heat :shock:

anttismo

Postby anttismo » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:10 am

yep, in Canberra this morning, enjoying the frosty morning. Tomorrow forecast is basically identical, so it'll be cold for first hour or two. But the rest of the day should be beaut. My thinking is to perhaps wear heavy winter gloves and bootie covers and ditch them in bush an hour or 2 in, pick them up in the car later. Too big to carry all day. My feet and hands just freeze and stop working in the cold, taking forever to come good as it warms...

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:45 pm

Another Extreme finished. 8:56 moving time, but just under 10 hours elapsed. Lunch turned into a lengthy affair as other mates rolled in while I was having lunch with my co-rider. Hardest thing I have ever done, I think. I shouldnt have stuffed around with seat height a week and a half before the ride. Legs were in pain from the start. Great day for riding other than the headwind back from Tharwa. Good times.

anttismo

Postby anttismo » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:57 am

Made it through the 253. Rolling time 11:09, all up a bit over 12hrs. Pretty long hard day with plenty of up and down. Happy to have knocked it off :)

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:23 am

Managed to Finish the Extreme. Woo hoo. Rolling time was 11'06". Add another 55" for breaks.

I was absolutely knackered by the end. I slept for 11hrs last night. I haven't slept that long since I was at uni 20 years ago :)

This morning my backs a bit sore and I still have pins and needles in my toes. This is not a surprise as I had to grind up every hill in the saddle to keep the sciatica at bay plus I wore the wrong socks on the day. The stupid pair that always give me hot spots on my feet. They are now in the bin :lol:

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:57 am

Ended up doing the Extreme with a few pre-dawn hills thrown in on the way just for good measure (Majura, Pleasant, AInslie, Black & Red). 16 hours on the bike and about 360km.

skull

Postby skull » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:13 am

Mark?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:03 am

Yes, I did it with Mark. The pre-dawn hills anyway. I lost him in the pre-start crowd at Fitz's so started solo and then met some friends at Condor Creek and rode with them the rest of the way.