Giant P-SL1 wheel set opinions wanted please.

Carrots

Re: Giant P-SL1 wheel set opinions wanted please.

Postby Carrots » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:04 pm

Tarquin wrote:Retail prices are;

$4300 on a Propel Advanced 2.
$3200 on a TCR advanced 1.

I didn bother getting into it too much as ill buy through my LBS who do Giant, just wanted to see all the range together in the store.

Didn't really expect a discount as the '14 bikes are only just out, maybe I should be asking for one!
Sorry was thinking you we're looking at 13 spec Propels! As per Lukeyboys comments - if the budget stretches you should be able to snag a sweetheart deal on 13 model (which is identical to the 14 sans the wheels and price).

Carrots

Postby Carrots » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:10 pm

PS or buy the TCR and I'll sell you the new PSLR1 aero wheels off my propel! lol

Tarquin

Postby Tarquin » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:58 pm

Hadn't considered that, had a look on bike exchange but the only large 2013 Propels are down in Melbourne.

Hell of a bike for just under 5k, but it's a bit more than I had in my budget.... But what's another 800 when your spending 4200....

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:42 pm

Try ringing around or even just drop in to a few of the official Giant stores if you have time. In Brisbane Cyc'd have a few specials on their remaining stock. Tom Wallace Cycles who also stock Giant bikes have 20% off on their remaining stock so there should be some good potential bargains out there on the 2013 TCR's and Propels. Might even be lucky enough to grab yourself some higher up models with Dura-Ace for the same price as the Ultegra models.

Tarquin

Postby Tarquin » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:37 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Try ringing around or even just drop in to a few of the official Giant stores if you have time. In Brisbane Cyc'd have a few specials on their remaining stock. Tom Wallace Cycles who also stock Giant bikes have 20% off on their remaining stock so there should be some good potential bargains out there on the 2013 TCR's and Propels. Might even be lucky enough to grab yourself some higher up models with Dura-Ace for the same price as the Ultegra models.
Have had a look, few in Melbourne and some in Briz, ones 9 hrs each way, the others 12 lol.

Giant dealers won't ship bikes.....

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:58 pm

Surely there must be some 2013 specials going on in Sydney haha.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:31 pm

Had a word with a few people and the remaining 2013 propels in Brisbane are going out the door pretty quickly. So if anyone wants to get the frame with Dura Ace running gear and a good set of wheels (PSLR-1 Aero Wheels) on the cheap now's your chance to do so.

Tarquin

Postby Tarquin » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:46 pm

Seems to be the case. I got in touch with the Canberra Giant store wrt a 2013 TCR SL 1 but they had sold out.

Looks like I may be out of luck! My own fault for procrastinating for so long about it. I was happy with 11speed ultegra but if I could have got DuraAce for not much more happy days.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:57 pm

thejester wrote:
jasonc wrote:
jacks1071 wrote:Appreciate your support bud, next order remind me to include a free set of PL socks for you.
are you suggesting I require a 3rd set of pro-lites? :oops:
11spd... good excuse to upgrade to dura-ace ..... ORRRR.... Campy :twisted:

OR
maybe the microshift stuff has 11spd
11sp Microshift is rumoured to be released at Taipei Bike Show in 2014. If that is go and they keep the price the same, potentially you could upgrade any 9/10sp Sram or Shimano bike to 11sp for around $300 plus the cost of a chain & cassette.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

roadiematt

Postby roadiematt » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:17 pm

I snapped 4 spokes on the rear wheel set in question!! to Giant's credit they replaced then with some Shimano rs61'S which have been excellent, I cant recommend this wheel set.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:37 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:If you can find a store that still stock the 2013 Propel Advanced SL1 with the PSLR1 Aero Wheelset you could get them at a bargain. A few weeks ago I saw the 2013 Propel Advanced SL1 going for something like 5k and when you consider that the 2014 bike with Zipp 404's are around 8.5k you might be better off getting the 13 model and buying yourself the 404's separately for about 2.5-2.7k. With the saved cash pick up an extra cassette to use on the PSLR-1 aero wheels :P (The aero wheelset certainly are a quality wheelset so they aren't a joke as some of the PSL1's-PSL0's have become at times)
....except that Giant have canned PSLR1 wheels on both flagship Propel Advanced models for 2014 and gone with Zipp 404!!! :D :shock:

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:30 pm

...except they have done a brilliant marketing ploy. They might have lost some people splurging cash on a integrated seat post Advanced SL but they have blown the market open with the Advanced 1/0 at a very decent entry price (11sp Ultegra DI2 under 5k/Ultegra mechanical around 4k with an adjustable seat post). Indeed they have changed the wheels over but they have also introduced a fame only option which wasn't available with the 2013 line up. The 2013 range only consisted of the Advanced SL1/SL0 and Envie 1 all running the PSLR1 Aero wheelset. With the 2014 models they have introduced a Advanced SL frameset only option, the Advanced SL1/SL0 are still the very exact same bike as 2013 bikes but now come with Zipp 404's and a higher price tag, the womens designed 2013 Envie is now the 2014 Advanced 1/0 (basically all that has changed is there are more colour schemes and the word envie has been removed) along with the Advanced's running the newer spec of their PSLR1 Aero wheelset, Envie still has 2 models with the new Advanced Liv running a gold and purple livery/Zipp 404/Dura Ace DI2 groupset retailing for about 10k (6.5k more than last years spec) while the Advanced 2 is the same as last years bike with a new colour scheme and 2014 model PSL1 wheels. To put it in a cost perspective I paid around 6k for mine but the "2014" edition now retails for 8.5k. The 2013 DI2 version was still cheaper than that at retailing for around 8k and IIRC the frame now retails for 3.5-4k. Chuck in the cost of some dura ace/ultegra groupsets and a decent wheelset and you'd be lucky to break even.

In saying that I wouldn't mind getting my hands on the Advanced 0, chuck on a custom livery (midnight black with lightning blue as a secondary colour with white decals and a gloss coating) and use it as a trainer/cafe racer bike - even with the pain in the ass brakes.
Last edited by Lukeyboy on Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:33 pm

Lukey, my point is there's no option for PSLR1 Aero wheelsets for 2014, or am I getting disoriented in the brilliant marketing ploy! :)
If the wheelset is so brilliant, why dump it and put a more expensive wheelset on?
I suspect it is because Giant have had issues with their wheel supplier QC, so to burn them, Giant went off and haggled a 'giant' discount with Zipp, who are no doubt feeling the cold of the first world economic downturn!

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:19 am

Lukey, my point is there's no option for PSLR1 Aero wheelsets for 2014, or am I getting disoriented in the brilliant marketing ploy! :)
Actually there are. I think you are getting a bit confused with the 2014 lineup. The 2014 Propel Advanced 1/0 feature the new 2014 spec PSLR1 Aero wheelset so they can still be purchased on Propels. Its only the full race spec integrated seat post aerobikes that won't have them included unless you want to buy them separately with the frameset :P

Propel Advanced SL Series
Propel Advanced SL0 - DA-DI2 11sp/Zipp404 wheelset/Aerobars-intergrated stem
Propel Advanced SL1 - DA-Mech 11sp/Zipp404 wheelset/Aerobars
Propel Advanced SL Frameset

Propel Advanced Series
Propel Advanced 0 - U-DI2 11sp/PSLR1 Aero wheelset
Propel Advanced 1 - U-Mech 11sp/PSLR1 Aero wheelset

Propel Envie Series
Propel Envie LIV - DA-DI2 11sp/Zipp404 wheelset/Aerobars-intergrated stem
Propel Envie Advanced 2 - 105 10sp/PSA or something IIRC wheelset
If the wheelset is so brilliant, why dump it and put a more expensive wheelset on?
The Propel Advanced SL series are now the top of the line/flagship model bikes where they are aimed at people that are looking at upgrading their kit in running spec and primarily use the bike for racing. Its a great bike for racing but it has a very aggressive and stiff setup for day to day/cafe racers and that's purely down to the frame having an integrated seat post for its aero profile. The SLs only come in DuraAce running gear, they feature the aero stem and handlebars and come with the Zipp wheels. If someone wants to upgrade to a Propel Advanced SL but don't have the 8.5k+ to drop or already have their own wheelset there is the frameset only option so that can cater to their budget and their current setup (eg wacking on your own wheels/10sp DuraAce-Ultegra gear etc). The frameset only option was not available with the 2013 model bikes meaning you had to fork out money regardless of what you wanted. It was even worse if you were running a 10sp system as they only came in 11sp. Because the Propel Advanced SL series are purely aimed at road/crit racers they have bridged the gap for those wanting to get into racing on a cheap budget along with catering for those that casually ride/aren't involved in racing/cafe racers/those that aren't as flexible and want to change between an aggressive or soft setup. That's where the Propel Advanced 0/1 comes into play. For under 5k you can have a Propel Advanced 0 with 11sp Ultegra DI2, the 2014 PSLR1 Aero 50mm section wheelset, the same aero profile as the SL but with a adjustable seat post. Around 4k for a Ultegra mechanical option.

The 2014 Propel Advanced 0/1 framset are the exact same bike and I mean the exact same bike as the 2013 Propel Envie frameset. The only difference now being running gear and the livery. The 2014 Propel Envie has gone down the same path as the Propel Advanced SL's. The Propel Envie Advanced 0 has been replaced by the Propel Envie Liv. Its still the same frameset as last year and this years Propel Advanced 0/1 but it has Envie decals, has a deep purple/gold/black livery, 11sp DuraAce DI2 groupset and Zipp 404's - basically the same as a Propel Advanced SL0 but with an adjustable seat post. That'll set you back 10k while the Envie Advanced 1 will set you back about 3k.
I suspect it is because Giant have had issues with their wheel supplier QC, so to burn them, Giant went off and haggled a 'giant' discount with Zipp, who are no doubt feeling the cold of the first world economic downturn!
Who really knows but it would have more to do with the current line up of bikes. 2013 only had 3 or 4 models (SL1/SL2/Envie 1/Envie 2) of the Propel available in Australia (I can't recall ever seeing or hearing about the Envie Advanced 2 being available here). 2014 features 7 models of the Propel including the SL frameset now being sold on its own. Cervelo have done a similar setup with the S5 bikes aswell.

I agree the PSL1 (non aero) wheels are just plain crap but the PSLR1 Aero wheels are pretty good. Not the best wheelset and can really be a wild bike to handle in crosswinds but still pretty good.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:00 pm

are the PSLR1 wheelsets dimpled like 404s and have the 404 'toroidal' section?

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:53 am

Nope. Just a smooth flat surface.

cplus

Postby cplus » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:51 pm

So my new bike has come with P-SLR1's

They look to be a lot better the the "non" R model, better looking hubs, QR's spokes - hard to tell rim from visual.

Do they get the same bad wrap?

I'm looking to get some c50's or 404 tubs and trying to work out if I just trade these, get the tubs and get some other training wheels, or get the tubs outright and keep these as trainers.

No good being trainers if they are going to be unreliable. My last set of daily wheels were RS80's and they have been faultless.