Tour Down Under - Advice needed

rossco_h

Postby rossco_h » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:24 pm

HI all,
After hearing that Cadel Evans has just been announced for next years TDU, this is an absolute must-do event for me. I idolise Cadel and so will be travelling down from Brisbane to see him race.
I am just after some advice from people who know the area or who have been to the tour in previous years about the best way to make the most of 3 or so days in the area.
Do people usually stay in Adelaide and travel to the start (or somewhere else on the route) each day?
From what I can tell, there is a prologue type of stage in Adelaide City on the Friday night, but after that the start and finish points vary each day. What about the bupa challenge? I am definitely interested in doing the 75 or 112 km ride as well.
I really have no idea about he logistics of attending a cycling event so sorry about all of the questions. I have only started loking into this today.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

you cannot be sirrus

Re: Tour Down Under - Advice needed

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:11 am

If you stay in the CBD or anywhere within about 15kms you will be central to everything. Most of the starts are close to town and it's nice and flat and safe cycling with so many cyclist in town for the race. The biggest problem will be getting back from the BUPA ride but there will be buses available. Most of the stages have something to see withing easy cycling range, be it a sprint, KOM, or finish. The Willunga and Stirling stages are usually the best from a spectator point of view IMO

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:23 am

One of our club members owns Diamond Cycle Tours and we coordinate through them a tour group.

I developed a guide for that group and can pass on a copy which might give you a few ideas.

Just let me know we're to email it

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

rossco_h

Postby rossco_h » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:46 am

jcjordan wrote:One of our club members owns Diamond Cycle Tours and we coordinate through them a tour group.

I developed a guide for that group and can pass on a copy which might give you a few ideas.

Just let me know we're to email it

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Thanks mate! Have sent you a PM.

cheers

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:53 am

If you want to join an organised tour from Brisbane, MB Cycles in Milton do a trip every year. You may still be able to join. See their Facebook page.

Here's the detail about the 2013 trip.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:02 pm

It is worth looking up where the stages start for the days your here.

Most start within a short distance of the city. But I don't think they all do. There are buses to get to stages as well, but they are not particularly cheap.

rossco_h

Postby rossco_h » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:13 pm

Thanks for the advice so far guys. So far it seems like staying in Adelaide is fine, and then travelling to different parts of the course each day. I assume a lot of people ride to a vantage point? Or busses are an option or car hire could also work?
Do people usually watch from the start? Or are there preferred positions to see the riders at various points throughout each stage?
Is it possible to get close to the riders at the finish?

Cheers,

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:12 pm

You'll get very close to the riders before the start IME, lots of photo ops and autographs if that's your thing. I've never hung around after the end of a stage as I usually ride back home ASAP.
I haven't looked closely at 2014 route but in the past I've ridden to a KOM, then taken a short cut to the finish or another vantage point, or ride to the start then ride out to a KOM/sprint if the route allows.
Can't take bikes on normal Adl buses but trains are OK out of peak hours (I think). To be honest though you'll be quicker and have more fun just riding your bike.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:16 pm

Just looked at the routes. Stage 1 is start/finish in the Barossa, A big ride there and back, all other starts are close to the city. Saturday is McLaren Vale and Willunga Hill, fairly easy ride from the city and loads of places to see the peloton several times.
Friday is BUPA, starts near the city and finishes a million miles away, I'll be riding to the KOM that day and avoiding the masses doing the BUPAride.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:41 pm

If you can make it, come for the Ride Like Crazy.
http://www.ridelikecrazy.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
starts and ends inner city, loop up in the hills, and very well organised by bike riders, not as a tourist 'event'. For many locals, including me, preferable to the BUPA ride.
Then it is into the city afterwards for the People's Choice Classic to watch the Pro teams up close.

cplus

Postby cplus » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:48 pm

you can actually catch the train out to Gawler (close to Barossa) or south to get closer to Willunga if that helps.

rossco_h

Postby rossco_h » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:28 pm

Thanks very much all of this information. It is all very helpful.
That ride like crazy event looks great, unfortunately I won't be able to make it this time.
Flights are booked and I will be in Adelaide for the last 4 days of the tour.
Can anyone recommend a good place in Adelaide to hire a bike for a couple days?

Cheers

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:21 pm

http://www.velo-porte.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.bicycleexpress.com.au/Bike_Hire.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Never used either of them and no affiliation,

cplus

Postby cplus » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:30 pm

Velo Porte is my mate Keith.

He is also on Facebook.

Can confirm all bikes are new this year, high end fondreist with Ultegra Di2. Really nice guy.

He does pick up and drop off and will also do guided rides as well.

cplus

Postby cplus » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:32 pm

https://www.facebook.com/VeloPorte" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My mate hired from BE last year also, no dramas at all with them either. No idea how prices compare. I was a pickup service only though.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:49 pm

Stay in the city... Eat in gouger st and u will mingle with the riders at night... Get to the start (on bike) an hour or more before race time and u can chat and have pics with the pros.... Then ride to the finish and watch the end (and sometimes a couple of times in between depending on the loop used). Immediately after the race you can then ride back to the CBD with the pro's as all the riders that aren't featured in the preso's usually ride back together soon after.

For those with extra time up there sleeve, the week before is a great time in Adelaide. All the teams arrive 5-7 days before and recon the stages, and train. Most stop at Glenelg on the way home for a coffee and chat...

cplus

Postby cplus » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:53 pm

And if you can get there the weekend prior to the BUPA ride you can do the JDRF ride instead/in addition.

Very well organised and a great cause.

http://ride.jdrf.org.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MattyP

Postby MattyP » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:46 am

I've been to Adelaide with the family (3 kids under 9yo) the last couple of years. We drive over from Melbourne & stay at Adelaide Shores caravan park. So I've needed to find the right mix for riding & everything else.

I've ridden out to the Stirling stage to watch a couple of loops of the race, then leave early to watch the finish on tv at a cafe in Glenelg enjoying an affogato. The next couple of days I've just done an early morning ride to North Haven & back (nice flat ride). On the Willunga stage I ride out there & up the hill then back in to Willunga. Family then drives out to meet me & we drive home together.

I'm interested in locals recommendations for getting up to Stirling via a different route other than the alongside the freeway then up Mount Barker rd?

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:28 pm

MattyP wrote:
I'm interested in locals recommendations for getting up to Stirling via a different route other than the alongside the freeway then up Mount Barker rd?
Magill Road - Norton Summit - Ashton via Uraidla Road, Uraidla, turn right on Piccadilly Valley Road, to Ashton roundabout then on to Stirling

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:26 pm

Greenhill road... Less turns, more straight forward, but much more traffic than Nortons, and probably less safe...

Quite a few people are getting turned off staying at Adelaide shores as over summer they are charging visitors an entrance fee to the caravan park!

Last year some friends were charged $20 to visit their parents who were staying there. That peeved them off, but they were even more p1ssed when they found they weren't actually there!

JulMass

Postby JulMass » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:24 pm

IMHO the ride up the old freeway (the one you want to avoid) is the best option. Very little traffic and spectacular views. It is tricky to get to because you have to use the major roads out of town but once you are there...bliss!
Be prepared for a big week...some people rack up 1000kms for the week. But possible to enjoy it without wrecking yourself. Some very tired faces at the airport going home!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:25 pm

I've ridden out to the Stirling stage to watch a couple of loops of the race,
There are quite a number of options for getting up to Stirling but the traffic on that day (I am assuming you want to ride up there for Stage 2) would work against many as being suitable.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:27 pm

Most of the teams ride back down the old freeway, or up to lofty and back down greenhill road, to the Hilton straight after the race finishes (before the presos) if u want to ride back with them..,

MattyP

Postby MattyP » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:02 pm

Thanks all for the recommendations for an alternate way of getting to Stirling. Yes I'll be riding there. This has been my typical route.

Never had an issues with visitors at Adelaide Shores as no one has come to visit us! It does have pretty good facilities though.
Dr_Mutley wrote:Most of the teams ride back down the old freeway, or up to lofty and back down greenhill road, to the Hilton straight after the race finishes (before the presos) if u want to ride back with them..,
Rode down with the pros two years ago after the Stirling stage. At one point doing 60km/h downhill on the bike path with 2 pros passing me & chatting to each other, one nonchalantly taking one hand off the bars at times. I'm not a descender so gave me a great insight into how good a rider's they are.

MattyP

Postby MattyP » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:08 pm

rustychisel wrote:
MattyP wrote:
Magill Road - Norton Summit - Ashton via Uraidla Road, Uraidla, turn right on Piccadilly Valley Road, to Ashton roundabout then on to Stirling
Rusty - got a ride map incorporating this route for me to peruse?

Thanks, Matt