Recumbent Trike Purchase for Training and Bupa 2013

Baalzamon

Re: Recumbent Trike Purchase for Training and Bupa 2013

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:57 pm

I was with John Lewis down in Albany when I first got my Ice Adventure FS HD.
John took me on a little circuit. We hit a rough patch. John in his logo trike slowed down, me in my suspended trike actually closed the distance on him immediately showing one benefit of suspension.
On a few Audax rides I was riding with someone who had an Ice Vortex, full carbon trike unsuspended. I cycled in that for a km OMGosh, my teeth where chattering together and it was so rough. I didn't even really notice that unless it was really dodgy in my Ice Adventure FS HD.

If I was to buy another trike again, it would be a fully suspended model, but most likely it will be a Mango next :)
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:22 am

Thanks heaps for the info. I feel like i'm likely to head down the Recumbent Trike path eventually, just a case of saving up.

The main idea was to buy just a Performer JC70 frame, front wheels, seat, chain stays etc and choose my own back wheel (50mm carbon clincher) and choose my own groupset for it.

Its the whole customising thing that I love so much. I wonder how I would go about fitting traditional road bike shifters/brakes on the handles. I am not particularly keen on the traditional mtb twist shifters.

The concept was to go with a set of 105 9 speed groupset.
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:58 pm

Hi Adrian,

Most trikes use disk brakes hydraulc or mechanical and a couple use Sturmey Archer drum brakes. I think that might present a problem in using brifters or similar.

Our trikes use bar end shifters and we have been very happy with them. My Mango velomobile also uses bar end shifters.

I have tried trikes with twist shifters and they can be difficult to shift sometimes because you are holding them end for end to the way they were designed.
Another nice ting with our bar ends is you can swap into friction mode if they go out of adjustment and keep riding until you have time to adjust. I usually just leave mine in friction mode.

John

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:38 pm

When I got my trike it came with twist shifters, I eventually replaced them for bar end shifters and was operating them in friction mode as well and it was brilliant. I found the twist shifters when I was going around a corner I would change down a gear thanks to hand twisting
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810