Sydney to Gong 2013

rebilda

Re: Sydney to Gong 2013

Postby rebilda » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:42 pm

Did my first Gong ride in 1990, then every year for another 4 years or so before getting married, having kids.....

Started up again in 2008 and have kept it up since then. Last year we put up our own team with the guys at work (manroland), had a Marquee at the finish line and some good corporate sponsorship. I signed up as soon as the early entry email went out so I'm hoping for a sub 60 entrant Nr this year. Not sure what team yet.
My Garage = Restored Paino - the "Fixie" - Giant Trance X2 - Azzurri Forza Pro Di2 - GT Avalanche 1 & 2

xmpt

Postby xmpt » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:51 pm

I am registered to do the ride but after the crash I had recently my bike was destroyed. I am now waiting to see if the insurance company are going to come good or not.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:47 am

I am in, wanting to do the return leg as well. Honestly, 90kms isn't worth the effort but 200 return is lol

Just got keep the credit card handy for carb stops at maccas

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:50 am

Hey Leigh,

I am in also, and a couple of mates. We are planning to ride quick and leave at 6am and hopefully ride with the lead group. This may mean a fair turn of pace at the beginning to catch up to them depending on how much we get help up at the start. Welcome to join us if you have nobody to ride with. Aiming for about 2.5 hours ride time. I will probably be in a ResMed Jersey.

-- Adrian

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:06 pm

I am in. Doing the usual and riding on to Kiama then the train home to Nowra.

gerardvok

Postby gerardvok » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:28 pm

Anyone experienced angry magpies on the gong ride. I gather they will be aggressive still?

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:50 pm

None last year:)

chl15

Postby chl15 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:41 pm

Doing the ride for the first time this year. Aiming for the 90kms.
Start time 6:45am, look forward to this!

gerardvok

Postby gerardvok » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:34 am

@Cossie Phil

Thats Great news.. Tired of the little buggers ..

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:18 pm

Starting at 7am as a mobile support group. You will see me riding my Ti commuter with shiny pump and orange bag on rear rack.
Please waive when you see me.
If you have problems on your bike during the ride, I might have some tools and spares for you.
Happy riding to all and let us keep up the spirit for all MS beneficiaries.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:10 pm

http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/forecasts/sydney.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Could get ugly if you're on the road later in the day. Fingers crossed only light rain, packing the gilet and jacket to make a decision at the start line.

Jim

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:15 pm

^touch wood! It will be A-OK!

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:59 pm

familyguy wrote:http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/forecasts/sydney.shtml

Could get ugly if you're on the road later in the day. Fingers crossed only light rain, packing the gilet and jacket to make a decision at the start line.

Jim
Meh, there was flash flooding over your way yesterday and not a drop where I was. It's a long way to the Gong, it's unlikely to rain all the way (aside from which, there aren't too many sections that are more than 5k from a train station).

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:24 pm

familyguy wrote:http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/forecasts/sydney.shtml

Jim
It rained at the start of last years gong ride. I got soaked riding from home to Nth Sydney to meet up with my team. I had to wring out my socks because they were so water logged.

It cleared up by 7am and the rest I of the day was all sunshine:

ImageImageImageImage
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:48 pm

Yeah, I took the wet gear over last year, didn't need it. Good luck charm?

Jim

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:01 pm

I'll put up my yearly warning now: please bring along a spare tube or two, the mobile support guys (like me and Rheicel) wearing red jerseys will pump it up with our floor pumps. We do carry tubes, but we'd prefer to use yours. If you do need one of our tubes, give us a tenner to put in the jar at the end of the ride.

Also, if you have a 9/10/11 speed bike, please bring along a quick link or at least a linking pin. Every year I see people with broken chains and while I can pin it back together by removing a link or two, it won't be as strong without a quick link or proper joining pin.

FatGuts

Postby FatGuts » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:42 pm

I did it, I was a virgin......HOW MUCH FUN WAS THAT!!!!!!

BTW, if you saw a guy bunny hopping a red Masi over the reflectors in the middle of the road......that was me...... :twisted:

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:09 am

Started late, as usual. Crossed the start line at 7 instead of the 6:15 I was given, took it easy, had a nice ride despite the few numpties, and landed in Wollongong about 11. Muffin stop great as always, no mechanicals, and the fruit stop is always a good spot to sit for 20 minutes and zone out.

There was word late last night of a major accident?

If anyone passed a rider in BNA jersey and socks, that was me.

Jim

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:01 am

I had a surprisingly good run considering the heavy cycle traffic out to Sutherland. Started late at 6.30, put the pace on, I found fellow riders were great this year when calling out 'passing to the right' or whatever info was required, everyone moved over to the left pretty quickly. The headwind from the National Park to Wollongong was brutal. I crossed the line just on 9am...it was great to beat the heat. The Powerade at the finish line was outstanding!!

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:32 am

I had a pretty good run this year. I started in the first wave and was on the road by 6:20 or so. Cycle traffic for the first 10k was better as everyone settled down to travel along pretty steadily, rather than the mish-mash of fast and slow that happens later. Two short stops, at Loftus for my muffin, and Red Cedar Flat for water and a quick stretch. Got to the finish just after 10am. Actual riding time was 3:13 - pretty happy with that. Rested for a while taking in the sights then rode back to Sandon Point to meet up with my wife. Wind was up on the return leg making it a bit of a slog. All in all, a good day.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:48 am

The BBQ put up by Mikesbytes was great while we watched the procession of riders filing past in front of Ikea. Lots of funnies!
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Dazz

Postby Dazz » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:48 am

Did my first Gong ride yesterday. Started later than 6:15 as some team mates were running late. Plenty of cycle traffic leaving at 6:15, most were pretty good at checking and letting people know they were moving out to pass although had a few moments where had people just fly out and nearly collect me. Big Kudos to the people on the road making sure everyone was going the right direction. Will be back next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:54 am

Damn that return leg!!! 2 cokes, 2 powerades, 2 bidons of staminade, 3 bidons of water, still cramping like crazy once I got to the M7!

Run down was a bit hectic, I was preparing to ride with the MIA Peloton but a poorly timed bathroom break and pickup of the number meant I missed the start by maybe 2 minutes. Proceeded to take off from the BP like a scalded cat. Anyways, realised by Rockdale that MIA wasn't solely riding as a group, so I continued to hunt for some MIA guys I knew. They were fast, so punching through the crowd was the order of the day. I had gently pulsing memories of "be careful of the hubbards" and a growing sense that I was in fact that person because I was eating up the bunches going through all the lights. Eventually ended up at the front of a big bunch for a few kilometres setting the pace and no one was trying to pass me, and copped a "jeez are you going to slow down?" as we coasted down Kingsway or Bestic. I waved them through at 45kmh, but it seemed that the CCCS (Casual Cycling Club Sydney?) guys behind wanted to be difficult and not create the rest break I wanted. (more on them later). Anyways, they were mixing it up with me until 5kms from Waterfall.
I picked up a group in VMWare kit and a guy in a yellow tiedye shirt, and we rolled from Kingsway until the end, some turns, some not. Very strong riders, and had a great time setting a big pace. Very safe group, made my day. I chipped a dude who cut in on us down the RNP descents then proceeded to relax big time on the first ascent out. He was in club kit, he knows how to take corners, and by golly I wouldn't want to test someone else's cornering skills on an open road like he did. Yellow tieDye shirt said the same thing about another guy that bombed in.

Anyway, had a cracking run up the climbs, and I don't think many people passed me. But... the RETURN. and the AERO WHEELS. The crosswinds were absolutely brutal, down to the Gong it was OK because they clearly picked a course that everyone could handle, but during the return I just struggled to control the bike. Ended up wheeling the bike home the last 400m because I couldn't trust the gusting. Could barely keep the bike straight going "almost" directly into the wind (seriously?!). Concerned for my life down Heathcote Road, multiple times slowing to a crawl to ensure I had control of the bike. The bike feels much less controlled descending 50kmh with the cross wind than 25.

Anyways, I think the return was summed up like this - Mt Keira Road was blocked off, and the entrance to the M1 at that point says no bikes. GAH. We had to go up Bulli Pass, 3.5km of 8+%? The flat bits were only 6%, no shoulder, huge 2 foot deep gutter on the final 12-20% 1.5km ramp? I stopped 2-3 times, it was at least as bad as Bowen Mountain and I only had the 23 cassette with the compact. Way out of my league - I seem to cope with climbing like the RNP well, but proper mountain work is beyond me.

Anyways, got to the top and CCCS guys are just behind us. Got a confirmation that they weren't talking crap, they were suffering at the wheel. Good on them for attacking Bulli. Riding isn't always about competition with others, they knew they weren't going to set the fastest time down but they were doing their best. Nice guys, and I'd hope to see them on the road again. They had a cool kit too :)

Last complaint. I swear to God that we were riding into a brutal headwind the whole way back in all directions, or I was fighting a crazy crosswind. I can deal with the heat. I can deal with the climbing. I can deal with the distance. I was at my limit with those things alone. But the dodgy roads combined with that wind just made it insane. I like my sexy aero wheels but I didn't think I'd have to walk home because of them!
210 for the day. 2.5kgs lost. 360 dollars raised for MS :D

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:14 pm

sogood wrote:The BBQ put up by Mikesbytes was great while we watched the procession of riders filing past in front of Ikea. Lots of funnies!
That was you guys? I was wondering about that setup. My first thought was "why would anyone do that? are they hoping to sell bacon and egg rolls?" :lol:

Jim

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:36 pm

familyguy wrote:That was you guys? I was wondering about that setup. My first thought was "why would anyone do that? are they hoping to sell bacon and egg rolls?" :lol:
Yes, Mike came up with the idea. Free sausages were offered but no one stopped. We had a good and filling time though. Sausage, bacon, salad and you name it! :mrgreen:

Drop by next time!
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.