Video Camera who uses one?

hubrat

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby hubrat » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:24 pm

I've found the quality of the mobius to be great and more than adequate at night with good street lighting. As expected though it's no good on unlit streets. The battery is long enough for my 60min commute and loop recording on a 32GB sd card is going well. On max settings I'm getting a file size about 600MB per 5min file.

I tried the helmet mount but gave that away for just cable ties to the helmet as per another photo in this thread. Still trying to work out the best way to dampen vibrations though. Happy to post samples or raw files if needed.

A water resistant mobius case is available but a bit pricey for me at $22. I think I'll wait for it to drop in price or copies to spring up elsewhere. Also don't know how it handles the heat generated.

http://ped-products.com/index.php?dispa ... uct_id=214" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ImageImageImage

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:02 pm

Cheers hubrat,
Just watched a video using aTICTAC big box... Sooo in preparation for placing an order I bought one, trouble is i'm on diet, the guys in the office are enjoying them though........

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:29 pm

Wakatuki wrote:Cheers hubrat,
Just watched a video using aTICTAC big box... Sooo in preparation for placing an order I bought one, trouble is i'm on diet, the guys in the office are enjoying them though........
I bought a jumbo box of the peppermint tictacs..... I think I had minty fresh breath for about a month afterwards. lol. The sweet ones would've been the way to go I rekon. :lol:

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:13 am

What sort of external battery (in mAh) is required for 3 to 4 hrs runtime on the mobius? I want to get something as small as possible to attach to my helmet... What's other guys running?

Killswitch

Postby Killswitch » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:17 am

Pushy wrote:
Riggsbie wrote:Has anyone any experience of the 808#18 keychain cam that appears on eBay now ?

Which is the best 808 model to go for ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I've got 2, 808#16 v2. Great for night recording, downside short battery life without an external battery pack and not waterproof.
More info on the #16
Read this for more info on the #18
I just had the 2 I ordered delivered, how long do you find you get out of the battery and how do you have them mounted?

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:35 am

Dr_Mutley wrote:What sort of external battery (in mAh) is required for 3 to 4 hrs runtime on the mobius? I want to get something as small as possible to attach to my helmet... What's other guys running?
I bought two external batteries through the same eBay seller as I bought the 808. They lasted the 3 hours 40 minutes of Around the Bay plus the ride to and from. They both lasted longer than the GoPro fully charged with Battery BacPac (which switched off on the return leg of the 50 km). :|

I've also 'waterproofed' them by putting them in the jumbo sized tic tac boxes. So I have a jumbo tic tac box and a normal sized tic tac box velcro'ed together (one for the external battery, the other for the 808).

They work really well, and I've just put sticky tape over the holes I've put in the boxes for the connections and buttons.

:)

EDIT: Model DS-2000, output of 500 mA maximum

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:05 pm

Summernight wrote:
Dr_Mutley wrote:What sort of external battery (in mAh) is required for 3 to 4 hrs runtime on the mobius? I want to get something as small as possible to attach to my helmet... What's other guys running?
I bought two external batteries through the same eBay seller as I bought the 808. They lasted the 3 hours 40 minutes of Around the Bay plus the ride to and from. They both lasted longer than the GoPro fully charged with Battery BacPac (which switched off on the return leg of the 50 km). :|

I've also 'waterproofed' them by putting them in the jumbo sized tic tac boxes. So I have a jumbo tic tac box and a normal sized tic tac box velcro'ed together (one for the external battery, the other for the 808).

They work really well, and I've just put sticky tape over the holes I've put in the boxes for the connections and buttons.

:)

EDIT: Model DS-2000, output of 500 mA maximum
Could you post completed pictures and battery link, please 0}-,-`- :mrgreen:

Dr_Mutley

Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:48 am

Here's one.. Not sure if its what's being referred to...

http://bit.ly/1aR3Ttu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:17 am

Dr_Mutley wrote:Here's one.. Not sure if its what's being referred to...
http://bit.ly/1aR3Ttu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]
Cheers Dr M. I did mean the mounting and sealing using the TicTac boxes, I wasn't very clear :) But thank you for the link and picture.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:21 pm

Wakatuki wrote:
Cheers Dr M. I did mean the mounting and sealing using the TicTac boxes, I wasn't very clear :) But thank you for the link and picture.
ahhhh soz! :-)

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:28 pm

I've been using a GoPro occasionally for a while, last week my phone died so I bought a new Sony Xperia Go from the Optus shop for $240 which came with a free Sony Action Cam. Not sure how long the deal is for but I'm happy to have cameras front and rear now :)

johnny99

Postby johnny99 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:48 pm

This footage is from a Ion Speed Pro. I have used a 32gb micro SD and get a good recording time out it(about 3.5 hours) Number plates can be hard to read but so far is proving to be ok.
The footage coming down the hill is bumpy as the road surface was quite shocking

http://youtu.be/3WyOCKRoGWs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:47 pm

Wakatuki wrote:
Sorry to be slow in replying, I will take a shot of my TicTac box set-up and post tomorrow. :)

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:41 am

Pictures, as requested (sorry, I don't know how to re-size between the full image and the thumbnail version):

Rear:

Helmet:

I don't like how the rear camera and cable sticks out, but I can live with it and I don't see it when riding. Plus, I can always remove the cable if I wanted (although then it wouldn't be charging the camera) :)

I like the set-up on the helmet and would have done this on the rear, except I wanted landscape for the rear (I would also like landscape on the helmet, but can live with portrait view so the camera doesn't stick out too much). The reason I want landscape is to get the maximum view of the road.

The set-up on the rear was done via velcro (two types of velcro - the adhesive type and the two-side type) and a cable tie (as the velcro wouldn't hold the camera at the right angle and it would slip around the seat stay).

The set-up on the helmet was also done with velcro (both types again) and no cable ties. I have rubber bands around the TicTac boxes that hold the external batteries because the battery is just a pinch too big (due to the lanyard holder thing at the bottom that I don't want to remove) and I don't want the top to pop off (which it sometimes does due to the pressure the velcro holder places on the box and I've also cut a bit out of the sides of the lid to fit it back over the battery so it is not as secure.

I've ridden with them like this in full rain and haven't seemed to have any problems.

I know the instructions for creating the 808's box was to keep the whole camera inside the TicTac box and put perspex over the cut made in the bottom, but I couldn't get any perspex of the correct thickness at the time, and now I like it as it is. :) I used sticky tape to cover the button hole and also have a piece I can cover the cable connection hole and I'll replace the sticky tape when it gets old.

The USB cable I got with the batteries (seen in these photos) is dodgy - one of them doesn't recognise a connection to a computer (so I can charge, but not upload). But that is just the cable and really I could go out and get another one of those at the local store.

The rear view camera is close to my foot during the foot's rotation and I do hit the cable when I'm trying to put my foot in (I unclip on the right) but when I'm clipped in I have absolutely no issues and don't hit it. :)

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:34 pm

Thank you for that. I am in the process of working all this camera stuff out.

ajmit3

Postby ajmit3 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:48 pm

I must say just got a SJ1000 and the profile is not ideal for cycling. Trying to work out how to mount it is a bit of fun.... Although the supplied mounts are ok, they require a bit of fiddling. Any tips or suggestions ?

Nate

Postby Nate » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:49 pm

ajmit3 wrote:I must say just got a SJ1000 and the profile is not ideal for cycling. Trying to work out how to mount it is a bit of fun.... Although the supplied mounts are ok, they require a bit of fiddling. Any tips or suggestions ?
Similar to the problems with the old Oteks back in the day.
The solution there was a custom mount, supporting the camera at the bottom & around the middle. The SJ is a lot shorter - so wont be as much as a problem, but not as ideal as a low profile camera.
Should be OK with a good alu handle bar mount from DX (i've been using them for a while - they're good)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:03 pm

Welcome back Nate. Are you referring to

Or another mount entirely ?

Leiothrix

Postby Leiothrix » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:50 pm

You can get right angled USB plugs, that will stop it from sticking out so much.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:16 pm

Can you buy fake go-pros? I'm curious to see if putting an obvious camera somewhere on my bike will lead to better behaviour. Would be best if it was completely empty/hollow so it was light enough to go on top of my helmet.

Or ... does anybody have a dead go-pro they don't want any more?

Nate

Postby Nate » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:47 pm

find_bruce wrote:Welcome back Nate. Are you referring to
Or another mount entirely ?
Cheers mate - i've started to lurk a little more again ;)

nup - these ones:

Really solid mounts, simple, & hella cheap.
You can actually mount 2 things using the second one at once!
- One ring goes on the bars
- one ring goes below & holds the torch
- use one of the screws/bolts & put a camera above

Nate

Postby Nate » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:50 pm

InTheWoods wrote:Can you buy fake go-pros? I'm curious to see if putting an obvious camera somewhere on my bike will lead to better behaviour. Would be best if it was completely empty/hollow so it was light enough to go on top of my helmet.

Or ... does anybody have a dead go-pro they don't want any more?
Use this instead:

ajmit3

Postby ajmit3 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:13 am

They look good Nate ! Thanks for the info.

Heres the link

http://dx.com/p/bicycle-bike-handlebar- ... lack-69116

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:02 pm

Leiothrix wrote:You can get right angled USB plugs, that will stop it from sticking out so much.
Thanks for that tip! The mini USB cable connecting the back camera to the external battery broke (probably due to my clumsiness and hitting it with my foot every now and again as I clipped in) so I need a new cable.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:54 pm

Good looking mid-priced unit:
http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/11/10 ... o-far.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;