Fish Oil

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
foo on patrol

Fish Oil

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:59 pm

Well I went to the Drs this morning to get a referral for blood tests and to the sleep clinic for the regular check up. I asked about Fish Oil benefits to relieve the Arthritis in my shoulders, wrists, hips and spine. :evil: Well I didn't get the answer that I was expecting. :( Seems that there is some not so good side effects from using it, bugger! :|

It doesn't matter how much exercise I do, it doesn't ease up but gets worse the more I do, so that really reeeeeeeeeally sucks! :evil:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Re: Fish Oil

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:11 pm

Oh, I just remembered, she said the best way to ingest fish oil is through fresh oily fish so it makes me wonder what, the go is with the tablets? :? still doesn't make my life any easier though! :evil:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

reefer

Postby reefer » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:37 pm

I suspect people are lazy, fussy and are easily led like sheep, so fish oil capsules make it easier for them.

I know my wife loves to chew tablets galore (including fish oil) instead of eating a diet of fresh food. Quite a pain cooking two types of dinners a night, but what can you do…..

I myself eat good old Tassie atlantic salmon 4-5 times a week to get my “fish oil” nutrients. :)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:04 pm

I should have asked about the tinned tuna and salmon, because it is not possible for me to eat fresh through the week, as I'm in a truck from Monday -Friday. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:18 pm

Omega 3's & 6's are what you're most probably chasing a good dose of.

Leave the fish in the ocean, don't take any stupid pills & get yourself some "Pura Veda" seed mix. Every 100 grams is equivalent to 10 fish oil tablets.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:01 pm

Ok I will chase that up Zep, thanks! 8)

Foo
Goal 6000km

reefer

Postby reefer » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:56 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:Omega 3's & 6's are what you're most probably chasing a good dose of.

Leave the fish in the ocean, don't take any stupid pills & get yourself some "Pura Veda" seed mix. Every 100 grams is equivalent to 10 fish oil tablets.
Whats the nutritional content of this stuff?

After checking the manufactures website, all I can find is an ingredients list which isn’t really much help at determining how good it might be.

Also, I have no problems eating farmed salmon, which is also available tinned from tassel. :)

I just prefer fresh Salmon as its lower in sodium.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:49 pm

reefer wrote: Whats the nutritional content of this stuff?
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 50g
Amount Per Serving
Calories 222
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12.5 g 19 %
Saturated Fat 1.8 g 9 %
Sodium 0 mg 0 %
Total Carbohydrate 22 g 7 %
Dietary Fiber 6 g 23 %
Sugars 6 g
Protein 7.5 g 15 %
Iron 20 %
Vitamin E 60 %
Niacin 10 %
Vitamin B6 23 %
Folic Acid 19 %
Pantothenic Acid 12 %
Phosphorus 23 %
Magnesium 28 %
Zinc 15 %
Selenium 26 %
Copper 31 %
Manganese 34 %
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Ingredients: Buckwheat Groats, Raisins, Sunflower Kernels, Linseed, Millet, Sesame Seeds, Pepitas, Chia Seeds, Amaranth, Poppy Seeds

reefer

Postby reefer » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Thanks

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:46 am

What do you eat it with, zep?

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:51 pm

Comedian wrote:What do you eat it with, zep?
Vitasoy Oat milk.

I mix half Pura Veda & half of a fairly low sugar, low fruit Woolworths raw oat style muesli then just pour a very generous amount of OAT milk over the top. Then prepare to chew & chew &.............

You can just eat it straight, but it becomes an expensive breakfast cereal which takes so long to eat.

_mike_

Postby _mike_ » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:11 pm

Zep is the raw oat style muesli you buy from woolies the macro brand raw untoasted museli with no fruit? im addicted to that stuff. I Add a large handful of sultanas

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:44 am

_mike_ wrote:Zep is the raw oat style muesli you buy from woolies the macro brand raw untoasted museli with no fruit? im addicted to that stuff. I Add a large handful of sultanas
Very similar to that one (on the same shelf usually). I use the Naytura Fruit & Nut Muesli which has around 10g of sugar/100g. If you compare that to the majority of the regular boxed muesli's it's about one third of their sugar content. I eat approximately 1kg of Naytura & 1kg of Pura Veda over a 1 week period for breakfast every day (around 5am) & it keeps me feeling rather full until 10-11am.

_mike_

Postby _mike_ » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:55 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:
_mike_ wrote:Zep is the raw oat style muesli you buy from woolies the macro brand raw untoasted museli with no fruit? im addicted to that stuff. I Add a large handful of sultanas
Very similar to that one (on the same shelf usually). I use the Naytura Fruit & Nut Muesli which has around 10g of sugar/100g. If you compare that to the majority of the regular boxed muesli's it's about one third of their sugar content. I eat approximately 1kg of Naytura & 1kg of Pura Veda over a 1 week period for breakfast every day (around 5am) & it keeps me feeling rather full until 10-11am.
I wrote the Naytura fruit and nut on our shopping list whiteboard to remind me to give it a try. I may have already gave it a try but i'll check it out on the w/e along with the Pura Veda.

The macro brand has 1.6g of sugar / 100g. Yes regular cereal is anywhere from 25-30g of processed sugars. I'm also chewing my cereal (AT) 5am for 10-15min & occasionally during the day on weekends. I go through 1.6 - 1.7kg and 1.1kg of sultanas per week. Yes, also keeps me going for a few hours. I figured the energy content must be huge so I weighed everything seperateley a few times for an average bowl I eat inc high low milk and they ranged between 5000 to 5500kj!

march83

Postby march83 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:49 pm

(AT) Foo: I'm interested to hear what your GP had to say against fish oil.

I'm not seeing any real issues with it based on current research:
http://examine.com/supplements/Fish+Oil/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://examine.com/blog/fish-oil-and-your-prostate/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edit: unless you have high XXblood pressureXX cholesterol or are already religiously eating fish 3+ times a week then why not.
Last edited by march83 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:32 am

march83 wrote:(AT) Foo: I'm interested to hear what your GP had to say against fish oil.

http://examine.com/supplements/Fish+Oil/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://examine.com/blog/fish-oil-and-your-prostate/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

unless you have high blood pressure or are already religiously eating fish 3+ times a week then why not.
Yes the "current" research looks convincing & why wouldn't it when the articles written above are all backed up by University educated nutritionists, sports fitness gurus & Phd academics.

I don't really want to start a debate about the "pro" fish oil & "anti" fish oil pushers, but I've read some very convincing studies & medical research recently which contradicts almost every single point raised in the articles above.

There are just way too many to list so I'll point out my personal reasons for avoiding fish oil or fish for that matter all together.

Extract below from the "Starch Solution".

Eating fish/fish oil capsules exposes you to mercury, a natural element found in the earth & released as industrial pollution during certain manufacturing processes.

As mercury is dumped into our rivers/oceans & streams it is converted into highly toxic methylmercury, which becomes ever more concentrated as it accumulates up the food chain.

Fish are at the top of the food chain & have the greatest mercury contamination levels.

The most common fish with the highest levels of mercury are fresh water pike, walleye, & bass as examples, along with saltwater tuna, salmon, swordfish, herring, mackerel & sardines.

These salt water fish are also the ones with the highest concentrations of EPA & DHA. In other words the fish that give you the most of these fatty acids come packaged with the highest mercury levels. All fish & shellfish are contaminated with potentially dangerous environmental chemicals.

Mercury contaminated seafood is almost the sole source of chronic human mercury poisoning.

Some very abbreviated facts below which all have scientific studies backing them up which if interested can supply links to (please don't make me do that)

--Cholesterol in fish/fish oil raises "bad (LDL) cholesterol.

--The belief that fish protects us from heart disease is negated by the inflammatory effects of toxins found in fish.

Study after study using thousands of patients in double-blinded, placebo-controlled trials found NO reduction of major cardiovascular events after treatment with EPA or DHA over 40 month to five year periods.

Don't get me started on fish farming...............................I'll crack :evil:

march83

Postby march83 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:41 am

ZepinAtor wrote: I don't really want to start a debate about the "pro" fish oil & "anti" fish oil pushers, but I've read some very convincing studies & medical research recently which contradicts almost every single point raised in the articles above.
definitely not picking a fight, just searching for more knowledge.

I have been under the impression for some time now that fish oil was one of those things that is so cheap and so safe that it almost seems foolish NOT to take it as cheap insurance. the same study that tenuously links fish oil to prostate cancer also shows a similarly significant link between fish oil and longevity.

so the areas worth looking, for reasons not to take it, are primarily related to mercury contamination and all of the issues relating to fish farming? by the same token, do you view these issues as significant enough to limit fish consumption?

death valley 69

Postby death valley 69 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:34 pm

One can always take Vegan DHA/EPA capsules. :wink:

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:13 pm

Red Krill Oil. One 1000mg capsule a day. Works for me.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:09 pm

march83 wrote: so the areas worth looking for reasons not to take it, are primarily related to mercury contamination and all of the issues relating to fish farming? by the same token, do you view these issues as significant enough to limit fish consumption?

Fish = Fish oil capsules

Fish oil capsules = Fish, same same.

Without typing a three page response.......YES!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:21 pm

march83 wrote:(AT) Foo: I'm interested to hear what your GP had to say against fish oil.

edit: unless you have high XXblood pressureXX cholesterol or are already religiously eating fish 3+ times a week then why not.
Mate once she said that the latest studies were not good, I switched off. I'm not interested when and once they start saying things are not flash. If it was a life threatening thing I would way up the odds and have a crack but not with this. :|

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:21 pm

Well I can officially say this Arthritis crap sucks big time! :evil:

Up at 3am because I couldn't handle the pain anymore, chewed a couple of pain killers and waited for them to kick in. I then went for a ride and it didn't bother me greatly. When I got home I needed to have another couple but there was no killing the pain. :x Another couple and some rums and still no relief. :? It seems I can ride my bike with some discomfort for whatever reason but once I get off the bike it is all back to normal pain levels. :roll:

Foo
Goal 6000km

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:38 pm

Fish oil on BNA? Is this the latest fad in chain lubrication? ;)
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:22 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Well I can officially say this Arthritis crap sucks big time! :evil:

Foo
Sorry to hear that Foo :cry:

From what my smarty pants Wife tells me (works in the medical field) the most common treatments are Chondroiton & Glucosamine which apparently helps relieve the pain.

Another contributing factor can be foods that aggravate arthritis such as "night shade" vegetables (potatoes, eggplant & tomatoes) ? not sure about this claim, but the smart well read one of the family informs me it's a possibility.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:26 am

Thanks Zep, I do like spuds and tomato but would not say that I eat them excessively though. I probably have been eating more tomato than normal, because we have fresh as in home grown at the moment. :D

I wonder if there is any difference between the normal spud and sweet potato? :|

Foo
Goal 6000km