Cyclist hit by car challenges police over fine - Fairfax

The 2nd Womble

Re: Cyclist hit by car challenges police over fine - Fairfax

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:33 pm

Comedian wrote:
The 2nd Womble wrote:The Transport Minister seems more receptive of late so theres an improving likelihood.
I thought he was on record saying he had no intention of implementing anything?
There have been a few occasions since where he has admitted that something needs to be done about the state of Qld's roads.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:03 pm

cowled wrote:Well, it's Ride2Work day today and, although I am unable to participate, I'm proud of my wife who has bravely donned some bike shorts and a helmet and is now riding to work. She is a bit anxious given my own recent experience and her parents are absolutely livid, but she has overcome all those fears and anxieties and is riding her bike. Well done!!
Kudos to your wife, seriously. Very inspirational.
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:38 pm

darkelf921 wrote:
cowled wrote:Well, it's Ride2Work day today and, although I am unable to participate, I'm proud of my wife who has bravely donned some bike shorts and a helmet and is now riding to work. She is a bit anxious given my own recent experience and her parents are absolutely livid, but she has overcome all those fears and anxieties and is riding her bike. Well done!!
Kudos to your wife, seriously. Very inspirational.
+100

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:07 pm

What everyone else said too btw Craig. A massive back slap to her on today's ride. Maybe if she gets into it you can get her an SCA jersey for added peace of mind. Just a thought.

cowled

Postby cowled » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:46 pm

Thanks for the words of encouragement for my wife. She has pointed out to me that, being her first bike ride in yonks, she would not have described her ride as 'inspirational' or 'fast'. Apparently it was quite a leisurely ride that took in the sights. She's home safe now.
Image 2015 Goal: 2,500km

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:01 pm

cowled wrote:Apparently it was quite a leisurely ride that took in the sights. She's home safe now.
Hey, all the better. I dare say she had FUN as a result :? :D

The best sort of bike ride.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

cowled

Postby cowled » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:01 pm

So, the internal investigation is apparently coming to a conclusion, I'm told. Although I haven't received any written advice on this, I understand that the investigating officers will be 'disciplined'.

As for the driver of the Jeep, it looks as though the Forensic Crash Unit won't be recommending any further charges against him. Don't ask me why. I have done all my homework on this and I cannot understand how the incident can be viewed as anything other than "dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing grievous bodily harm". I'm absolutely gutted! Even after viewing the footage, they somehow think that this driver's actions did NOT pose a risk of injury to persons on or likely to be on the road (i.e., ME!). EDIT: Perhaps they have some warped view of the world where cyclists are somehow inviting injury because we have the gall to ride a bike on the road.

I've got a 10 page draft of a letter that is going to be fired off quick smart to the Director of Public Prosecutions (and the Attorney General, and the Minister for Transport, and the Chair of the Parliamentary Inquiry into Cycling Issues, and my local MP) as soon as I get written advice of the conclusion of the internal police investigation.

Not at all happy right now. I've got two police officers telling me that they both think more serious charges are warranted and at the same time wringing their hands and pointing to the Forensic Crash Unit who apparently don't think more serious charges are called for. What a joke! I'd be willing to bet some good money that they actually do think dangerous driving is an appropriate charge but they want to save face with the police ... plus, they probably think that juries are predisposed to hate cyclists (because we only make up 2% of the population). GRRRRRRrrrrrrr!!!!!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:42 pm

I am not suggesting this is an appropriate response, but would revving a motorcycle aggressively on the footpath near their vehicle be enough to rouse their interest? Does the Jeep driver have to go to your house with a baseball bat to be seen to be a threat?

I think I'm done - anyone threatens my life with their car and I get a chance to equalise... what a pissweak society we live in when simple assault isn't recognisable by the idiots professing to enforce the law...

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:04 pm

As soon as you hear anything Craig... All those mentioned would thoroughly hate any more publicity from this.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:17 pm

Would it be slanderous/libellous to infer that Jeepman has some sort of pull in high enough places?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

cowled

Postby cowled » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:43 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Would it be slanderous/libellous to infer that Jeepman has some sort of pull in high enough places?
I'm beginning to wonder the same thing, Mulger bill. I've put his name into Google and it hasn't turned up anything other than an American pilot from Florida or a farmer in South Australia. I'm guessing that these people are not the same person that lives at Teneriffe, Brisbane.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:56 pm

Call these guys and ask if they know anything. Don't give out the number though, they're a bit of a secret.
http://www.asis.gov.au/About-Us/Contact-us.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:56 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Would it be slanderous/libellous to infer that Jeepman has some sort of pull in high enough places?
What I have been suggesstign all along.

The police officer being discipliend! It seems on what we hear hear that he has falsified documents.

To the annoyance of others here I am a big fan of the cops and of moderating calls for heavy punishment. But even I can't find anything here to justify anything except substantial sanctions for both the driver and the cop who verballed Craig. And, as Mulger Bill suggests, ther seems to be some sort of corrupt behaviour here.

It would not be remiss of Craig to now hand his probably well maintained sheath of documentation to the media. It may even set a few haters in Queensland realising the joke of recent outcomes to serious cycling incidents that have followed legal process intheir state. It is hard to imagine a scenario in Qld now in which a careless or dangerous driver in Queensland can suffer any punishement, just the anoyance of having to be under a cloud until the matter is resolved in their favour. In this case it seems the driver didn't even get that.

Ranted out.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:00 pm

Bingo. CC Darren Curtis in your emails Craig. They will know they can't brush this aside and you're prepared to play ball. Remember that it was Darren's involvement that led to the internal investigation in the first place.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:05 pm

Are queenslanders in favour o increased fatalities of their kids on the road? Serious question. This appears to reinforce a complete collapse of what most people consider basic law an order.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:10 pm

Xplora wrote:Are queenslanders in favour o increased fatalities of their kids on the road? Serious question. This appears to reinforce a complete collapse of what most people consider basic law an order.
Newman controls the QPS now and has them devoting all of their resources to busting suspected bikies on bogus warrants.
That's how you protect the community. This police ethics crap is for sissys.

Daus

Postby Daus » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:30 pm

Ahh yes the great bikie smoke screen "This week we learned that Queensland’s politicians are still all set to get a 9% pay increase. The increase for this year will be 3%, backdated to 1 July 2013."
It seems our law makers and representatives have other agendas that have their attention no time o spend worrying about cyclists as well.
I watch some of the footage cyclists have taken of ordinary people in cars doing committing what amounts to assault and putting lives at risk and at the same time wonder to myself if their children ride bikes.
The footage that cowled has is frightening in that it took the jeep driver two goes before he finally mowed him down- how do the police see this any different- its beyond me.
keep up the good fight, Don

cowled

Postby cowled » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:35 pm

I must have had a swear word in my last post cos it hasn't shown up yet. Anyhow, it was a reply to womble that ended in a rant about police and the terrible injustice of it all. Perhaps the moderators can remove my offensive language.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:57 pm

cowled wrote:I must have had a swear word in my last post cos it hasn't shown up yet. Anyhow, it was a reply to womble that ended in a rant about police and the terrible injustice of it all. Perhaps the moderators can remove my offensive language.
If you swore at me it'd be the first time the moderators here decided it was undeserved.

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:33 pm

Sorry to hear of the latest turn of events. Do whatever you can to keep the buggers honest!
This would set an unbelievable precedent

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:40 pm

Take it to the Ombudsman. If it gets too crazy, personally sue the police because I'm sure the oversight body owes a duty of care to you and the community and cover ups are not considered reasonable. Perverting the course of justice might fit the bill. They effectively tampered with evidence.

Do whatever you can to get the driver charged with something - their insurance is not normally going to cover them while wilfully committing an act against you. So I'm guessing that CTP will protect you personally for lost income etc and then you can hit up the driver for the nervous shock to the family, loss of quality of life.

Either way. Kitchen sink baby. Get all your local/state/federal politicians involved, because political pressure is a useful thing in this situation and their desire to grandstand works in your favour.
Give Jeep a call and find out what they can do to help.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:05 pm

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:14 pm

Xplora wrote: Get all your local/state/federal politicians involved, because political pressure is a useful thing in this situation and their desire to grandstand works in your favour.
And with the QLD Safe Passing distance thing currently under way, all the more reason to kick up an almighty stick!
2010 BMC SLC01

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:29 pm

In all seriousness now is an opportune time to continue raising the awareness of enforcement in Queensland. One of the most well worn arguments by successive Transport Ministers and the knobs in charge at Bicycle Queensland regarding minimum safe passing distance legislation is the ability of the police to effectively enforce such a rule. We've shown that it can work thanks to the efforts of the Austin PD in Texas. The issue Queensland faces is the seeming lack of effort and consistancy to police our roads at all rather than any increased difficulty in policing, and politicians who are happy to keep it that way.
Policing requires resources. Resources cost money. Speed cameras earn money, effective policing chews vast wads of money. Speed cameras don't care that your kids lost their father tonight. The QPS are concerned however....
That nobody hits the witches hats at that roadworks site site they'll be sitting at for the next 8 hours while some dude shovels dirt into a wheelbarrow somewhere over the horizon past all those fancy flashing lights and concrete barricades.

cowled

Postby cowled » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:43 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:
cowled wrote:I must have had a swear word in my last post cos it hasn't shown up yet. Anyhow, it was a reply to womble that ended in a rant about police and the terrible injustice of it all. Perhaps the moderators can remove my offensive language.
If you swore at me it'd be the first time the moderators here decided it was undeserved.
No, I wasn't swearing at you, Dave. It was aimed at the police more generally.

I am still quite shocked by it all. I just cannot understand how the police or Forensic Crash Unit can't see that Mr. Jeep driver's actions were inherently dangerous. I'm convinced that their decision is more likely influenced by other cases where they have unsuccessfully tried to prosecute dangerous driving charges. I'm guessing that juries are generally biased against cyclists. I expected more because I have camera footage as well as a number of eye witnesses.

I'm feeling really discouraged at the moment.