2013 Cycling Fatalities

trailgumby

Re: 2013 Cycling Fatalities

Postby trailgumby » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:50 am

Good to see the driver doing the human thing instead of what so many do in these (awful) circumstances.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:09 am

We've just learnt the identity of the cyclist killed in Carindale on Monday evening.
Haere rā Michelle. Ride in peace.
http://i.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news ... ton-couple" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:06 pm

This is without doubt the most distressing thread on BNA. Another needless death and so young. :(

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:07 pm

Just popped up on my twitter feed
http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/bibra ... 2w9d6.html
Bibra Lake cyclist killed in collision with car
October 27, 2013 - 9:52AM
A 41-year-old man has died in hospital after being hit by a car while riding his bicycle in Bibra Lake on Saturday night.
Police said the man was travelling east along Forrest Road and had turned onto Stock Road just after 8pm when the crash happened.
A 64-year-old woman had been driving south along Stock Road when her Corolla sedan collided with the man.
Anyone who has any information or witnessed the crash is asked to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/bibra ... z2it7eEy65" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There is a separate thread on this case at viewtopic.php?t=69355&p=1040022
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:10 pm

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2013/1 ... tnews.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:04 am

Some very sad news. A cyclist was killed descending Kissing Pt Rd, Turramurra when hit head on while swerving to miss another car which turned across in front. Rest in peace and condolences to family and friends.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:07 am

Just had this come through via email;

Forwarding some terrible new from the Easy Riders, re a cycling fatality on Kissing Point Rd (Turramurra - not Rydalmere) this morning.

A reminder that this road is potentially very dangerous :(

Scotty

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 30 October 2013 8:39:43 AEDT
To: "sydney-easy-riders@googlegroups.com" <sydney-easy-riders@googlegroups.com>, "bush-to-bridge@googlegroups.com" <bush-to-bridge@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [ER] Fatality on kissing point rd this

I just had a call from my wife , there has been a cycling fatality on kissing point road near the top about our driveway.
Police etc in attendance,
Very sad,apparently cyclist descending, car turned across in front , cyclist swerved to miss and was hit head on by car coming the other way. ride safe.

Van Diemen
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:10 am

biker jk wrote:Some very sad news. A cyclist was killed descending Kissing Pt Rd, Turramurra when hit head on while swerving to miss another car which turned across in front. Rest in peace and condolences to family and friends.
Hilly and curving roads in that area are great for going fast but has a LOT of hidden dangers for width, visibility and motor traffic.
RIP.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:18 am

biker jk wrote: A cyclist was killed descending Kissing Pt Rd, Turramurra when hit head on while swerving to miss another car which turned across in front. .

It's hard not to feel angry along with the sadness. A careless or inattentive moment, a life lost.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:24 pm

Some more info posted over on Sydney Cyclist (http://www.sydneycyclist.com/forum/topi ... c%3A564007)

A CYCLIST has died and a young learner driver is assisting police after the man came off his bike while trying to avoid a car and instead slid underneath the girl's car.

At 7.55am on Wednesday the 45-year-old from Frenchs Forest was riding as part of a pack of six on Kissing Point Rd at South Turramurra.

Ku-ring-gai duty officer Inspector David Hogg said a car began to reverse out of a driveway which caused traffic to slow down.

"The cars were stopped to let the car reverse out,'' Insp Hogg said. "The bike rider has come around the corner and swerved to avoid the cars .''

He crossed onto the wrong side of the road, came off the bike and slid under the car which was travelling in the opposite direction.

"He was going down the hill and has just slid right under the car going up the hill in the opposite direction,'' Insp Hogg said.

Witnesses rushed to perform CPR on the man.

A NSW Ambulance spokeswoman said the man had severe head trauma and had suffered cardiac arrest as a result of the accident. He was taken to Royal North Shore Hospital in a critical condition and later died as a result of his significant injuries.

Police inquiries are continuing but Insp Hogg said at this stage they do not expect to lay any charges against the 17-year-old driver from Carlingford.

"The driver and her supervisor were taken to Hornsby Hospital for mandatory blood and urine testing but that is just a standard procedure and at this stage of inquiries we believe the rider was at fault.''

The road was closed in both directions during the morning peak and diversions were put in place.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:06 pm

Pretty nasty accident.

But considering the speeds that some people hit along there (the top speed is 74km/h average at 34 seconds) and another rider who achieved 84.4km/h in a section with -8.4% grade, maybe it's worth putting lower speed limits in place (say 30-40km/h in the downhill sections) to prevent these very high speeds for all vehicles. A bicycle has inherently less ability to stop in comparison with a car that can stop incredibly fast (especially one with big carbon-ceramic brakes and huge, sticky tyres).

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:41 pm

That's just tragic to hear. Ride defensive, even when in a bunch. Be safe!

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:44 pm

It is a hair raising ride coming down the S-Bend, but you really don't pick up most of your speed until you are well and truly into the straight section.
I am always on the lookout, mostly for cars using Catpala Rd on the bottom of the S-Bend. I'd usually be on about 40km/h by then, but nowhere near 84km/h. I would typically freewheel up to around 65km/h and then sit on 50 to 55km/h almost to the lights.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:33 pm

God how I feel for the poor L plater. To have him hit you when stationary :(
http://m.heraldsun.com.au/news/national ... 6749798717" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:51 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:God how I feel for the poor L plater. To have him hit you when stationary :(
http://m.heraldsun.com.au/news/national ... 6749798717" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not sure what you are saying but I don't think the story says the L plater was stationary - its the cars going down the hill that were stopped? According to that story, the L plater was coming up the road, the cyclist going down has crossed to the wrong side because of stopped cars in the left lane, where he collided with the oncoming car? :(

Edit: But I wasn't there, I'm just reading what was reported in the news story

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:59 pm

It's getting a bit graphic on how it happened exactly. But for me, I have often enacted the scenario of a sudden obstruction in my head. Do I just go straight into it or try to dodge it, potentially veering and crashing into another traffic lane or into oncoming traffic? Could it have been less serious if he just went straight into the car in front or the bunch? No easy answer there.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:30 pm

The latest story in the SMH is now saying he clipped the back of the stationary car, veered into the oncoming lane and came off the bike, then slid under the car coming up the hill.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:51 pm

InTheWoods wrote:
The 2nd Womble wrote:God how I feel for the poor L plater. To have him hit you when stationary :(
yes you're right. Rushed the reading on that.

Not sure what you are saying but I don't think the story says the L plater was stationary - its the cars going down the hill that were stopped? According to that story, the L plater was coming up the road, the cyclist going down has crossed to the wrong side because of stopped cars in the left lane, where he collided with the oncoming car? :(

Edit: But I wasn't there, I'm just reading what was reported in the news story

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:42 am

There's a bit more information up on the SMH now: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/friends-colle ... 2witg.html

The riders were from Optus, heading to work. The group included the Optus CEO. Tragic that they had to witness such an event.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:48 am

sogood wrote:It's getting a bit graphic on how it happened exactly. But for me, I have often enacted the scenario of a sudden obstruction in my head. Do I just go straight into it or try to dodge it, potentially veering and crashing into another traffic lane or into oncoming traffic? Could it have been less serious if he just went straight into the car in front or the bunch? No easy answer there.
It would have still been bad. I don't think warning signs are necessary - I think it's necessary on certain roads for riders to use their heads and ride with extreme caution, especially on downhill stretches.

I feel very bad for the P plate driver. The driver must be shattered. A terrible tragedy for everyone.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:59 pm

Imagine the outcry if a bus had have come down the hill and rammed the back of the stationary line of vehicles, possibly injuring tens of people, and killing more than one? There'd be a facebook page and outraged community groups already.

A tragic accident, and not easy for the driver to cope with. Very similar to the Narrabeen accident of a year or so ago. The driver involved there was in the same boat, no place to position the car to avoid the bike hitting them.

Jim

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:55 pm

familyguy wrote:Imagine the outcry if a bus had have come down the hill and rammed the back of the stationary line of vehicles, possibly injuring tens of people, and killing more than one? There'd be a facebook page and outraged community groups already.

Jim

What point are you trying to make ?

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:17 pm

A local. Both I and an SCA supporter were in the area this afternoon. She thinks she saw him riding prior to his death. I'm devastated atm. He most likely knows me or a friend out here.
Ride In Peace.
http://m.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2 ... HER80V&s=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:35 pm

Too many... RIP...
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:15 am

Now thought to be in his 50's or 60's. Seen by someone I know around 15 minutes beforehand.