The BNA SEQ Weekend Warriors

laterstarter

Re: The BNA SEQ Weekend Warriors

Postby laterstarter » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:13 pm

That photo is brilliant and almost a perfect imitation of what AFAIK is the original - can't remember where I found it. The jersey names give the clue to the era.

@Smithstreet.... Unfortunately I can't change the date, its a family event.

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:27 pm

Reading all these posts might end up harder than the actual ride?
I think I'll struggle, with that much climbing. I usually start to bonk after 4000m elevation.

albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:10 pm

Lukeyboy wrote::P On our first BNA group ride up to Mt Glorious we all said we were going to go up nice and easy, we had sore climbing legs, don't like climbing, running a 23 on the rear etc etc but on the very very first bit of crest in the road just metres from the start of the run to Mt Nebo we were all suddenly roaring up the hill doing 30-35kph overtaking each other as if we were at the tour de france fighting for the finish line. After a bit we all settled down but it was still hilarious. Not that good at climbing my ass :lol:
Was great fun having a crack at Nebo, was only the second time I have been up there, Be funny if the same thing happens again this time round :lol:

singlespeedscott

The BNA SEQ Weekend Warriors

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:23 pm

Dimma wrote:Reading all these posts might end up harder than the actual ride?
I think I'll struggle, with that much climbing. I usually start to bonk after 4000m elevation.
Surely you jest.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:55 pm

That photo is brilliant and almost a perfect imitation of what AFAIK is the original - can't remember where I found it. The jersey names give the clue to the era.
Yeah, I saw it in a book/website a while back but I couldn't recall any info about where it was. However I knew Ritte did a similar photo :P
Dimma wrote:I think I'll struggle, with that much climbing. I usually start to bonk after 4000m elevation.
It's not like you will be the only one struggling with that sort of elevation gain :lol: :lol: ~4000m is the most I've climbed in a single ride IIRC. I reckon the third and final climb (being optimistic here :P) up Mt Mee or climbing out of Campbells Pocket will be where my legs want to give up. Hopefully I'll recover somewhat before Clear Mountain but Camp Mountain will be where I will seriously start to bomb out/consider stopping for a breather mid climb.

If you think its worthy mate for the Rapha club feel free to mention it in there.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:04 am

If I can do more than 5000m in one ride you 2 can do it on your ear.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:24 pm

I think whoever does the ride should frame a photo like this, maybe outside the Dayboro Bakery, or Regatta Hotel at the end.
And maybe it can make it to the HPRW CC clubhouse wall of fame, for future generations of soft kids to ogle about how tough it must have been to do big rides on such ancient bicycle technology - "you mean you actually had to pedal uphill?! and not make a quid from it? why would you?" :)

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:35 am

That'll be us at the Dayboro pub.... on the way out! 8)

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:36 pm

Haha.

Tackled Mt O'reilly road today. Best advice I can give is to start training for the ride now. God damn that was a pain to climb up. And we are going to be going up it after climbing the backside of Glorious. The worst part was when I had to stop for a quick breather. Clipping back in and getting momentum was the hardest part just because of the steepness. Defs 28-32T gearing for a good time :lol:

Going back down though.... I was confident and people know I descent like a base jumper but damn! Heck of a descent. I was on the brakes for a good portion. Just got to watch out for that gravel where the road surface changes at the bottom especially at speed.

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:05 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Haha.

Tackled Mt O'reilly road today. Best advice I can give is to start training for the ride now. God damn that was a pain to climb up. And we are going to be going up it after climbing the backside of Glorious. The worst part was when I had to stop for a quick breather. Clipping back in and getting momentum was the hardest part just because of the steepness. Defs 28-32T gearing for a good time :lol:

Going back down though.... I was confident and people know I descent like a base jumper but damn! Heck of a descent. I was on the brakes for a good portion. Just got to watch out for that gravel where the road surface changes at the bottom especially at speed.
That's where I'm gonna have my team car hand me the 29'er for Mayfield Rd climb/descent. :D

Winston..... calling Winston!!

Might have to head off to Bunnings and grab some of that 'race tape' for the kneecaps before the 30th!!

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:20 pm

hahahaha....heehehe.....LukeyBoy...you are showing your (lack of) age ....ok, a few pointers:

- Mt Oreilly Rd where you are talking about is called Mayfield Rd. It's the steepest road in SE Qld, apart from Gower St, Taringa.
- if you have to unclip for a rest, then you FAILED!!!! It's only around 300 metres long!!! :) it's ave gradient is.....FRIKKIN steep!!!
- as for descents, if you touched the brakes, YOU FAILED!!!! 93+kph is de rigueur.

SS, thanks for reminding me to bring a broom for Mayfield...I'll make sure to clear the gravel at the bottom for Sooking Lukey :lol:

finally, Lukey, do you realize SS is exactly twice your age!!! and about 12kg heavier than you.....now there's an incentive to do all this ride!!! personally, I think it's down to you two only. No one else on BNA will be capable.

OK, I've got a gut full of alcohol (as opposed to pizza), need to get up early....and burn off the booze.....groundhog day!

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:48 pm

winstonw wrote:hah No one else on BNA will be capable.
Are my ears burning? :mrgreen:

If only it were on a different day :( .

I dunno about this claim about the steepest road in SEQ though, have you seen the Obi Obi? The Strava segment claims a max of 42%, and i'm not sure that it's actually possible to construct a road any steeper. Triple cranks + 30t cog + rear wheel spinning at 5kmh= damn steep!
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:07 pm

LDR, I've been up Obi Obi....and never Mayfield. though have walked it 3 times.

yeah I've been agent provocateur re capabilities..... but my money is on no one else having the time, energy, or ability to match SS and LB on this ride. In fact, I'll gift $100 to anyone else who completes the ride WITH SS and LB on the day. :)

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:21 pm

:shock: honestly that sounds bloody awful.

You've got me in a dilemma now, go through the 9 circles of hell with the 2 nutters ( :D ), or race the steam train out west? :(
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:55 pm

Cheers mate. I need a nice clean apex with all that broken up, lose bitumen and change of surface from smooth to rocky tarmac right on the apex of the corner at the bottom. Nothing like hearing the lose rocks smashing into the frame as your cruising along at 60.9kph :lol:
- if you have to unclip for a rest, then you FAILED!!!! It's only around 300 metres long!!! :) it's ave gradient is.....FRIKKIN steep!!!
You should know me better than that. The only time I stop on hills is to admire the beautiful scenery before I fly past in the opposite direction covering 112m in 4 seconds :P
but my money is on no one else having the time, energy, or ability to match SS and LB on this ride. In fact, I'll gift $100 to anyone else who completes the ride WITH SS and LB on the day.
ALBERT! ALBERT! C'mon! We just got a guaranteed $100 bar tab if you join us hahaha. I reckon the biggest effort for the ride would be time. I'm personally doing it for the fun and the epic challenge involved. It's a gents ride so speed and how long it takes goes out the window. And how many times would a ride like this come along. Sure the legs would get a workout and I'm admittedly not the best climber but the scenery. Overlooking Brisbane on Mt Coottha with the sun rising, over looking Samford Valley from Camp Mountain lookout/Mt Nebo/Mt Glorious/Mayfield road (which I thought was the at the top), the view on the backside of Glorious, riding around the farms behind Samford and between Samford-Dayboro, the view climbing up Mt Mee, the views from the top of Mt Mee, the fantastic afternoon views on the top of Clear Mountain, descending into Upper Kedron with the steep hills on the right, heading up and over Settlement Road and riding back into Brisbane with the sun setting behind us to have few post ride drinks/digging into some hot chips with gravy. That's what cycling is all about. Having a beaut of a time. If others here want to join us for shorter runs eg following up to Mt Glorious, meeting at Mt Glorious, joining in for the Mt Mee fun, meeting up for the Dayboro-City leg or any section of the ride feel free to say hi and join in.

Oh and bragging rights. Screw fitness. Bragging rights would be the biggest reward :P

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:00 am

Amen to that.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:13 am

ah see what you mean Luke. they must have put that new bitumen on recently. nevertheless, you should be able to wash off the speed from 100 to 35 before you hit it, esp with your brilliant brakes! hahaha

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:18 am

From 100? More like 130 :P

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:49 am

always amazes me how little photos portray the testicle shrinking steepness of that road.

dayne

Postby dayne » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:54 am

ldrcycles wrote:
winstonw wrote:hah No one else on BNA will be capable.
Are my ears burning? :mrgreen:

If only it were on a different day :( .

I dunno about this claim about the steepest road in SEQ though, have you seen the Obi Obi? The Strava segment claims a max of 42%, and i'm not sure that it's actually possible to construct a road any steeper. Triple cranks + 30t cog + rear wheel spinning at 5kmh= damn steep!
The obi obi is bloody steep,
But you wouldn't need triples, my 55 year old father rides up it with compacts and a 25/27 and he's 100kg.
But I would dought many steeper roads exist, probably some short streets but the obi is long and a fair way out of town.

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:21 am

I think there are steeper if it's 277m elevation over 3km = av gradient 9.5%

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:26 pm

I wouldn't read too much into a climbs elevation gain and average %'age on paper. The Obi Obi climb is tough but I've done it probably half a dozen times, but haven't done Mayfield once, yet! :D
Obi's average is probably only at 9.5% because of the flat bit before the last pinch. That's enough to 'mess' it up. Depends where they start it from also, the steep climb sign at the bottom or where the road splits! It all makes a difference.

As an overall climb ie, for length and toughness, I would have to say Mystery Rd and Henri Robert Dve are tougher than anything around Brisbane.
As we all know, it's VERY difficult to compare one climb to another as they all have their own varying challenges.

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:32 pm

Mystery is ridiculous

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:59 pm

I think for a tough climb over a reasonable distance you cant beat Bellthorpe range Rd. or the the climb to Mt Glorious.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:13 pm

or the the climb to Mt Glorious
Going up the back. Its not the total steepness that gets you but the length of the constant climbing above 10% where you can't get a rest either from riding along a flat level to simply spinning more. But as has been said before you can't really compare the two as they both have their points on climbing. We need some bigger mountains :P