E grade racing Sydney?

Jace

E grade racing Sydney?

Postby Jace » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:47 am

I am looking to try out a race and much like many people, would rather not get dropped in the first minute of the race and figured there was a lesser chance of that if I started in E grade...problem is...who actually has an E grade in Sydney?? Any ideas!
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=12 ... ij&z=a.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stevecassidy

Re: E grade racing Sydney?

Postby stevecassidy » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:37 pm

Hi Jace, well if you're in Masters category (over 35) then Waratahs runs races down to F grade every week.

If you're not then I think most other clubs only go down to D grade, however don't be too put off. I'd say two things: getting dropped isn't so bad, it happens to us all every now and then, and you might well manage to hang on and enjoy the race.

I managed to finish in the bunch in my first D grade race but I was dropped in quite a few before I learned a few racing smarts and got stronger. I was impressed that I'd managed to average close to 35km/h in the race, certainly the fastest average over an hour that I'd ever done (this was a flat course at SOP) and while it was hard, I managed to keep up ok. I have been dropped in races since and will be again, but every race a new challenge.

Find a race: http://cabici.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steve
Where's your next race? cabici.net lists bike races in Sydney

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:28 pm

Waratah's has been 30 years and above for a long time now hasn't it?

Jace

Postby Jace » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:35 pm

stevecassidy wrote:Hi Jace, well if you're in Masters category (over 35) then Waratahs runs races down to F grade every week.

If you're not then I think most other clubs only go down to D grade, however don't be too put off. I'd say two things: getting dropped isn't so bad, it happens to us all every now and then, and you might well manage to hang on and enjoy the race.

I managed to finish in the bunch in my first D grade race but I was dropped in quite a few before I learned a few racing smarts and got stronger. I was impressed that I'd managed to average close to 35km/h in the race, certainly the fastest average over an hour that I'd ever done (this was a flat course at SOP) and while it was hard, I managed to keep up ok. I have been dropped in races since and will be again, but every race a new challenge.

Find a race: http://cabici.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steve
Not quite in the Masters category as yet, a couple of years and il be there! I know theres nothing wrong with being dropped, I guess I just dont want to be totally blitzed and shot out the back in no time at all! Is that cabici.net your own site? Thats fantastic, will be bookmarking that!
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=12 ... ij&z=a.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

warren.suen

Postby warren.suen » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:26 pm

Hi,

I actually just had my first E Grade race with LACC at Lansdowne crits on saturday.. me and another couple people in the same grade but you start off with the D graders anyways.

Totally worth it and some fun.. i would recommend checking out the strava profile of the grade your going in and do some reco on the course before turning up so you know what to expect and what is expected as well.

Jace

Postby Jace » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:05 pm

warren.suen wrote:Hi,

I actually just had my first E Grade race with LACC at Lansdowne crits on saturday.. me and another couple people in the same grade but you start off with the D graders anyways.

Totally worth it and some fun.. i would recommend checking out the strava profile of the grade your going in and do some reco on the course before turning up so you know what to expect and what is expected as well.
Congrats on the first race. How did you go? Il keep an eye out for some LACC events, did you just turn up and ask to ride E grade? Looks like a slightly hilly course!

redcorpsjames

Postby redcorpsjames » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:53 am

Race tonight at penriyh regatta. E grade should happen. 6pm sign on 630 start
Merida Scultura 905 2013
cell messenger fixie 2013

warren.suen

Postby warren.suen » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:34 am

Jace wrote:
warren.suen wrote:Hi,

Congrats on the first race. How did you go? Il keep an eye out for some LACC events, did you just turn up and ask to ride E grade? Looks like a slightly hilly course!
Hi Jace,

Yep and Yep.. turned up and told them this is my first time there and if i could join E grade and pinned that number on =)

There are some little pinch climbs in there which really wreck the legs and lungs but the benefit of that is a wicked downhill section i think the locals called the "Rollercoaster" which you can get your air back a little.

LACC will start some twilight races at the Armoury within SOP which should be great to hone your skills, so hopefully i'll see you there!

burgesyd

Postby burgesyd » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:57 pm

Hi Warren,

Would you be able to let me know where to find more details on when, where etc? I would like to give it a go myself and the LACC races would be the closest to get to.

Thanks,

Mark

warren.suen

Postby warren.suen » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:19 pm

Hi Mark.. sorry it took me so long to get back to you..

best place to spot the races for LACC would be on their events calendar http://lacc.org.au/index.php?option=com ... &Itemid=53" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

also if your over 30 you can race with the waratahs as well http://www.waratahmasters.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

look forward to seeing you out there soon =)

Jace

Postby Jace » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:22 pm

Did we ever get to the bottom of the Waratah races? Some people say 30 and some say 35? Which one is it??

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:20 pm

Jace wrote:Did we ever get to the bottom of the Waratah races? Some people say 30 and some say 35? Which one is it??
It has been 30 for about 5 years. Masters 1 is 30-35 after all... And it is a masters club. But I think you need a masters license... Not an elite.

Jace

Postby Jace » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:26 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
Jace wrote:Did we ever get to the bottom of the Waratah races? Some people say 30 and some say 35? Which one is it??
It has been 30 for about 5 years. Masters 1 is 30-35 after all... And it is a masters club. But I think you need a masters license... Not an elite.
Ah ok, I follow you.

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:18 pm

Noob question :oops: : is there anywhere you can try racing without a license? (Sydney)
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:27 pm

schroeds wrote:Noob question :oops: : is there anywhere you can try racing without a license? (Sydney)
It's called commuter racing, on all popular commuter routes. ;)

Otherwise, no.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:31 pm

hahah..back to Centennial Park then!

Seriously, thought you could get a day license for some/all races?

How's a commitment-phobe meant to dip a toe in the water?
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

donncha

Postby donncha » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:45 pm

Yes, you can get a day licence. $33 I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

philip

Postby philip » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:27 am

Not all clubs provide day licences. I know MWCC do for sure ($30), NSCC recently had a race where you could get a day licence but I'm not sure if they're still available.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:37 am

philip wrote:Not all clubs provide day licences. I know MWCC do for sure ($30), NSCC recently had a race where you could get a day licence but I'm not sure if they're still available.
I turned up to a club race here in Newcastle believing I could get a one day licence...was keen to try my first race but got shot down pretty quick

sorry they said, we dont offer one day licences anymore

skull

Postby skull » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:45 am

toolonglegs wrote: It has been 30 for about 5 years. Masters 1 is 30-35 after all... And it is a masters club. But I think you need a masters license... Not an elite.
The Northern Tas vets cycling club are changing to CA thus will be a CA Masters racing licence rather than an AVCC licence.

They have kept the age limit at 35 to join the club. So in effect will not be eligible for M1 riders to join up.

Also according to the CA site a Masters aged rider can get an elite licence and still enter masters only comps.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

philip

Postby philip » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:03 pm

gretaboy wrote:sorry they said, we dont offer one day licences anymore
yep unless a club specifically says they do, it would be safe to assume they don't. From what I've heard the club needs to pre-buy the day licences from CA before they can sell them, not a great way to do it, I can see why not many clubs offer them.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:32 pm

Day licence is dangerous in my mind. It would just invite excessive number of gun-ho participants who lack the training of a regular club rider. Not a good mix for anyone who is concerned about safety. Wanna race, ride with the club first and learn bunch and race protocols first.

philip

Postby philip » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:35 pm

sogood wrote:Day licence is dangerous in my mind. It would just invite excessive number of gun-ho participants who lack the training of a regular club rider. Not a good mix for anyone who is concerned about safety. Wanna race, ride with the club first and learn bunch and race protocols first.
My club recently put on a "come and try day" where club members who didn't have racing licences were encouraged to come and give racing a go without having to fork out for a yearly licence. Done properly I think it's a good idea to get those who aren't sure about racing to give it a go and hopefully come back with a full licence.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:40 pm

philip wrote:My club recently put on a "come and try day" where club members who didn't have racing licences were encouraged to come and give racing a go without having to fork out for a yearly licence. Done properly I think it's a good idea to get those who aren't sure about racing to give it a go and hopefully come back with a full licence.
No problem with that when it's put up as a one off membership drive, along with additional supervision. When offered as a regular option, I suspect a lot of regular participants would not want to enter the mix without knowing exactly who those new riders are, and their racing experience.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:52 pm

So does Waratahs offer day licenses these days?... hope so!. I am only there for a day and its the only one that lines up :lol: plus it is at my fav track!