Brisbane Magpies

Rhubarb

Re: Brisbane Magpies

Postby Rhubarb » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:24 pm

Did a ride to the park yesterday with the kids and we got swooped by 2 different ones. Thats fine since we expected that.

What we didn't expect is later that afternoon in our own backyard, we let our chooks out for a peck on the grass. Damn Magpie swoops right past my head, then goes in for the attack on one of our chooks !!!! He pulled 4 feathers out in a single hit, then flew off. What the ????

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:33 pm

rhubarb, your chook thing illustrates that magpies are top of the chain predators, who kill or drive out lesser birds.

this is a fact Brisbane City Council staff and its eco agents claim they are ignorant of. Their view, relayed to me several times, is that overly aggressive magpie behavior is a learned behavior in response to attacks by humans or their agents.

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:45 pm

Got swooped for the second time just after U.Q. this time he hit my helmet, was more of a w.t.f. than any damage, http://goo.gl/maps/8hclw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .
The other time he swooped me there i wasnt even sure it happened as i just heard the flapping.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:59 pm

I rode out to Redcliffe and back today, along the Kedron Brook Bikepath. I noticed there was HEAPS of warning signs about magpies.

Fortunately for me they are of very little concern when you are in a velomobile with the enclosed racing hood on :-D

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:08 pm

Rhubarb wrote:I rode out to Redcliffe and back today, along the Kedron Brook Bikepath. I noticed there was HEAPS of warning signs about magpies.

Fortunately for me they are of very little concern when you are in a velomobile with the enclosed racing hood on :-D
Only problem would of been the glasshouse like conditions under the canopy today. I imagine it would of been like an oven in there when you weren't moving?

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:47 pm

Rhubarb wrote:I rode out to Redcliffe and back today, along the Kedron Brook Bikepath. I noticed there was HEAPS of warning signs about magpies.

would like to have seen you trying to pedal back from Redcliffe about an hour ago, as I was. 54kph cross wind, with 65kph gusts.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:08 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:

Only problem would of been the glasshouse like conditions under the canopy today. I imagine it would of been like an oven in there when you weren't moving?
Not at all. Being in full shade with good ventilation (visor at least half open all day today) it was much cooler than being on a road bike, and with no magpies ;-)

Ryanhyltoncummins

Postby Ryanhyltoncummins » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:56 am

has anybody seen any on the bikeway from the wetlabnds to shaw rd in the last week or so?

spirro

Postby spirro » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:46 am

The one on Albany Creek Rd near Trouts dd in Aspley is still at it. Got swooped yesterday morning.
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

spirro

Postby spirro » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:47 am

Ryanhyltoncummins wrote:has anybody seen any on the bikeway from the wetlabnds to shaw rd in the last week or so?
I was there last week and there wasn't any
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:30 am

yep, that run has been clear this magpie season in my experience. though someone did mention attacks on the upstream side of the train crossing at Toombul...thoguh I've been through there 20 odd times and nothing.

I got whacked on the eastern segment of Nelson St Clayfield (between Park and Shaw Rds) 2 weekends ago. He only had one go though.

Psycho

Postby Psycho » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:31 am

This is getting quite dangerous!

http://m.couriermail.com.au/questnews/n ... 6734662890" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers,
Shane

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:46 am

What a load of bollocks. I still haven't seen that bloody magpie yet! :P

Psycho

Postby Psycho » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:55 am

Well turns out this boy didn't either, until it was too late!

Cheers,
Shane

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:45 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:What a load of bollocks. I still haven't seen that bloody magpie yet! :P
hope you always have two good eyes to notice Luke, unlike several children that have been hit over the last few years.

thanks for posting that link Psycho...I never read the C-M so would have missed it otherwise. Seems the C-M sympathizes with cyclists on this occasion.

Ryanhyltoncummins

Postby Ryanhyltoncummins » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:55 pm

Thanks for the Info, did see a article on the channel nine news about the Kedron brook maggy Greg Alexander's daughter got attacked near her eye an he was trying to warn people / get it removed. They where showing him getting attacked in a back street too.

Managed this ride yesterday magpie free have not seen one magpie on that Roma st bikeway downhill but those signs have been up for a while https://www.strava.com/activities/87941812" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

landscapecadmonkey

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:54 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:What a load of bollocks. I still haven't seen that bloody magpie yet! :P
I applaud your bravado lukeyboy, despite the flagrant douchebaggery of your post given the lads ocular close call.
chop wood

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:20 pm

It's just a tongue in cheek comment. If you go back throughout the thread people keep making posts about getting swooped by magpies yet whenever I get to the exact same spots that they have been swooped at I never see a magpie let alone get swooped by one. Even on Strava when SSS got swooped by magpies going up Mt Mee I joked about not seeing any when I went past that same day. A few days later we had a group ride up there and I said to the others that there are supposed to be magpies around here and yet none of us saw or got swooped by magpies. Take the Kedron Brook magpie. I've been through there lots of times. I've even had riders gesture/say watch out for the magpie that just swooped them. People here have commented that they got swooped by it. Yet every single time I happen to ride past be it in the morning, middle of the day, in the afternoon, riding fast, riding slow, by myself, with family, with a bag, without a bag, with extra water bottles, on the trainer/wet weather bike, on the race bike, wearing the club kit, wearing the OGE kit, wearing my Pink Floyd kit, in the sun, in the fog, with a slurpie or eating a cheese and bacon bread roll there's not a magpie to be seen. Hence the running joke about me being too fast for magpies.

Davidrnau

Postby Davidrnau » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:34 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:It's just a tongue in cheek comment. If you go back throughout the thread people keep making posts about getting swooped by magpies yet whenever I get to the exact same spots that they have been swooped at I never see a magpie let alone get swooped by one. Even on Strava when SSS got swooped by magpies going up Mt Mee I joked about not seeing any when I went past that same day. A few days later we had a group ride up there and I said to the others that there are supposed to be magpies around here and yet none of us saw or got swooped by magpies. Take the Kedron Brook magpie. I've been through there lots of times. I've even had riders gesture/say watch out for the magpie that just swooped them. People here have commented that they got swooped by it. Yet every single time I happen to ride past be it in the morning, middle of the day, in the afternoon, riding fast, riding slow, by myself, with family, with a bag, without a bag, with extra water bottles, on the trainer/wet weather bike, on the race bike, wearing the club kit, wearing the OGE kit, wearing my Pink Floyd kit, in the sun, in the fog, with a slurpie or eating a cheese and bacon bread roll there's not a magpie to be seen. Hence the running joke about me being too fast for magpies.

Funny you should say that....I am the same, have stopped, slowed down in magpie infested areas, parked right in front of the warning signs, begging, itching to be swooped but ...NOPE....no swooping in jayco jersey, no swooping in La Pomme Marseille jersey, no swooping in the black and white striped Carpano jersey either. You know sometimes magpies will flutter wings and make alot of noise above you, I don't consider that swooping. Haven't said that I don't let my gaurd down, probably put the mockers on myself now :D Gonna get clotted by an angry magpie anytime soon :D :D :D :D

I got scared by a pee wee chasing me, unrelenting little thing :D

David

spirro

Postby spirro » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:50 pm

Looks like the magpies have gone for another year. Haven't come across any swooping the past couple of weeks
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:45 pm

Davidrnau wrote:Funny you should say that....I am the same, have stopped, slowed down in magpie infested areas, parked right in front of the warning signs, begging, itching to be swooped but ...NOPE....no swooping in jayco jersey, no swooping in La Pomme Marseille jersey, no swooping in the black and white striped Carpano jersey either. You know sometimes magpies will flutter wings and make alot of noise above you, I don't consider that swooping. Haven't said that I don't let my gaurd down, probably put the mockers on myself now :D Gonna get clotted by an angry magpie anytime soon :D :D :D :D

David

:lol: :lol:

kingswood

Postby kingswood » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:52 pm

I was wondering about the Kedron Brook Magpie. Been avoiding that area.
I haven't been swooped by any magpies lately either. Although, I still get a tap from a couple of Butcher
birds.

hudnut

Postby hudnut » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:09 pm

I was hit by a magpie near Moggill State School on Wednesday, and we were swooped multiple times on the Linville-Blackbutt rail trail last Saturday.

Ryanhyltoncummins

Postby Ryanhyltoncummins » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:10 pm

I do believe that kedron brook one is gone went up yesterday rather slowly looking for it and couldn't find anything
did however get swooped coming up parkland st into toombul railway station this afternoon

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:23 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
Davidrnau wrote:Funny you should say that....I am the same, have stopped, slowed down in magpie infested areas, parked right in front of the warning signs, begging, itching to be swooped but ...NOPE....no swooping in jayco jersey, no swooping in La Pomme Marseille jersey, no swooping in the black and white striped Carpano jersey either. You know sometimes magpies will flutter wings and make alot of noise above you, I don't consider that swooping. Haven't said that I don't let my gaurd down, probably put the mockers on myself now :D Gonna get clotted by an angry magpie anytime soon :D :D :D :D

David

:lol: :lol:
below, progressive work of the Gordon Park magpie...over the last 4 years, I saw it progressively deliberately attacking cyclists' eyes.
the BCC expert public servants, in their wisdom, thought it more prudent to wait until this magpie damaged the eyes of two more children riding bicycles, before removing it. politically correct and ill informed madness imho....but how dare I question public servants.