Audax Rides

Jace

Audax Rides

Postby Jace » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:55 pm

As discussed elsewhere... ie (Fitz's epic) there was a mention of the Audax NSW rides which was something I had been looking at eitherway.

Does anyone have any experience with them? Is there a fair sized group of people or anything. I just dont want to rock up for an Audax ride and find theres a group of about 15 riders that I cant keep up with!
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=12 ... ij&z=a.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

joomz

Re: Audax Rides

Postby joomz » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:25 am

The NSW Audax rides have a very variable number of participants. I've done a 400 where I was the only rider and a 300 where there was 2 of us. Some of the more popular rides get a good sized bunch. People ride at their own pace so it's likely you'll find a few going at a pace you're comfortable with (the minimum pace is 15km/h to make the checkpoints on time).

joomz

Postby joomz » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:32 am

Btw, the epic warmup rides are very well attended, and a good primer for the distances/elevations on Fitz's
http://www.audax.org.au/public/index.ph ... r&Itemid=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jace

Postby Jace » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:54 pm

joomz wrote:The NSW Audax rides have a very variable number of participants. I've done a 400 where I was the only rider and a 300 where there was 2 of us. Some of the more popular rides get a good sized bunch. People ride at their own pace so it's likely you'll find a few going at a pace you're comfortable with (the minimum pace is 15km/h to make the checkpoints on time).
wow 1 or 2 riders. Thats a touch smaller than I was even expecting!
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=12 ... ij&z=a.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:28 pm

joomz wrote:I've done a 400 where I was the only rider .
Phew, not exactly a social day out then :shock:

Does a ride of one rider actually constitute an audax?
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

simonn

Postby simonn » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:20 pm

Why yes, yes I do.

Depends on the ride and time of year. More in summer, less in winter. You do get less people doing the longer rides - particularly 400s as they are painful - seriously, the difference between ~360km and 400km when the wanting to fall asleep kicks in too is quite amazing - and people only tend to do them as part of a specific award.

Come and ride my Mt Cliftonville 200 in 3 weeks time :)

EDIT: Three people already signed on, two of which I do not know. Three mates, two of which it will be their first audax and 200 ride have said they are coming along - and as I put it in the calendar so they do not need lights and it doesn't clash with the calga timetrial or west head they have no excuses :). So that's a potential seven at this stage. Not sure how many regulars I will get because the Sydney to Melbourne 1200 finishes on the Wednesday before.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:37 pm

schroeds wrote:
joomz wrote:I've done a 400 where I was the only rider .
Phew, not exactly a social day out then :shock:

Does a ride of one rider actually constitute an audax?
Yes.

Audax rides can be very social or very solitary. It depends how fast you are and the rules. A few rides are designated group rides, so riders generally ride together. Other rides are "at your own pace within minimum and maximum limits". On those rides, riders may choose to ride together or ride in smaller groups depending on speed. For me, I usually ride in a group of one at the back of the ride and have ridden for over 12 hours without seeing another cyclist. I don't mind. It's pretty relaxing riding through scenic countryside alone.
<removed by request>

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:38 pm

how to ask this question...so...do audax riders tend to wear tight or loose lycra? Shave or hairy legs?

Sure you get what I'm getting at...

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:47 pm

schroeds wrote:how to ask this question...so...do audax riders tend to wear tight or loose lycra? Shave or hairy legs?

I can only speak for Perth because I have not cycled Audax in other states... so in Perth - tight lycra - if you are going to spend 12 hours in the saddle, you don't want loose lycra. Most don't shave but a few do, so lots of hairy legs :P
<removed by request>

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:18 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
schroeds wrote:how to ask this question...so...do audax riders tend to wear tight or loose lycra? Shave or hairy legs?

I can only speak for Perth because I have not cycled Audax in other states... so in Perth - tight lycra - if you are going to spend 12 hours in the saddle, you don't want loose lycra. Most don't shave but a few do, so lots of hairy legs :P
CC, I don't think you're answering Schroeds' probable real question ... what are the personalities of the Audaxers like.

I think the stat was at one stage there are more members on the books over the age of sixty than under thirty. Actual ride participants will of course be different, but you were hinting at the culture.

As a generalisation, very friendly and supportive people, and since it's an individualistic activity, there'll be people riding carbon, steel, titanium, etc. The current president is a recumbent fan, IIRC.

They can be super serious about their 400km, 600km and up to 1200km stuff, and yet very relaxed and social about the 100-200km events.

I'm sure you'd enjoy both the courses and the company.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:47 pm

clackers wrote:CC, I don't think you're answering Schroeds' probable real question ... what are the personalities of the Audaxers like.
From the rides I have been on I would not try to generalise anything about personalities. I have had all kinds on my rides from friendly to aloof.
clackers wrote:I think the stat was at one stage there are more members on the books over the age of sixty than under thirty. Actual ride participants will of course be different, but you were hinting at the culture.
The rides I have been on have a lot of older riders. Not many young people.
clackers wrote:As a generalisation, very friendly and supportive people, and since it's an individualistic activity, there'll be people riding carbon, steel, titanium, etc.
The range of bikes reflects the range of personalities. There are all kinds. I have found supportive people on all the rides I have done. That said, I still end up riding a lot of the time by myself.
<removed by request>

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:48 pm

Not that I've been involved in any other form of club riding, but my impression is they're fairly a practical bunch. Whilst yes it can be often a solitary passtime we do often share tips and such but very often it's a case of what gear and routine works for you over the long and sometimes lonely kilometres.

I think you'll find there's less colour matching of kit & gear than you might find in other circles.

As for clackers' comments about the age demographics; it's true to an extent, but with my involvement with a portion of the administrivia here in WA, I can say of about the hundred or so state members, you'd struggle to find 15 or more that are active with any regularity. Some people do all of the 100 or 150 rides. Some people only emerge for the 300+ rides. Some people only emerge for the hilly rides (the relative few there are here). Then you'll have some of the one off annual flagship 600 or 1000 events where you get a few new blow ins that ride & train regularly in other circles, and do the rides as paying non members. The Perth-Albany-Perth 1200 next year is likely to attract a number of interstate and international riders.

Audax and Randonneuring can be a series of niches within a niche, really.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:00 pm

Thanks to both answers...yes I was hinting at culture...more specifically if one would feel like a tool on a carbon deep rimmed rig (especially when dying at the 160km mark with 40 left to go :lol: )

...but on the other hand was also wondering whether a 100km ride entails tootling along at a 400km ride pace or whether there are faster riders.

It sounds though as if there's a good likelihood of meeting similar souls no matter what..

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:05 pm

Yeah, give it a go. Feeling like a tool on the odd occasion is all part of earning your stripes. ..... or should that be "refining your technique"
--

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:09 pm

schroeds wrote:Thanks to both answers...yes I was hinting at culture...more specifically if one would feel like a tool on a carbon deep rimmed rig (especially when dying at the 160km mark with 40 left to go :lol: )

...but on the other hand was also wondering whether a 100km ride entails tootling along at a 400km ride pace or whether there are faster riders.

It sounds though as if there's a good likelihood of meeting similar souls no matter what..
You'll be passed by the 60-yr old riding a steel frame bike with 32-spoke Mavic Open pro rims. :D Plenty of audax riders ride carbon but you won't see deep dish wheels since they are often low spoke count and breaking a spoke in the middle of nowhere means you won't finish the ride (plus the ride is very harsh on rough roads).

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:13 pm

biker jk wrote:You'll be passed by the 60-yr old riding a steel frame bike with 32-spoke Mavic Open pro rims.
Hey!! That's my bike, but I'm still just shy of 40!! ;)
--

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:54 pm

biker jk wrote: You'll be passed by the 60-yr old riding a steel frame bike with 32-spoke Mavic Open pro rims. :D .
aaaargh that's what I'm afraid of :lol: . But since it's all part of 'refining my technique' (aka being humiliated :wink: )...

btw fwiw I reckon my 5 year old zipp 404s are drestructo proof having given them some big hits before now and only ever loosened a single spoke in a few thousand km

Yeah I know..famous last words :roll:

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:02 pm

schroeds wrote:Yeah I know..famous last words :roll:
The first rule of wheel failure, is don't talk about wheel failure.

Here's mine from a leisurely 150km club ride a few weeks back. Almost served me right. I had boasted on a number of occasions that I had never busted a spoke in any of my dozen or so wheel builds over the last few years.

--

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:12 pm

HappyHumber wrote:
schroeds wrote:Yeah I know..famous last words :roll:
The first rule of wheel failure, is don't talk about wheel failure.

Here's mine from a leisurely 150km club ride a few weeks back. Almost served me right. I had boasted on a number of occasions that I had never busted a spoke in any of my dozen or so wheel builds over the last few years.

But that's not a busted spoke, so you still haven't busted a spoke! Can I ask which hub that is as it appears that the drive side flange is lower than the non-drive side?

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:31 pm

Ultegra?

How does a 1200km ride actually work, what would the average person do, 300 per day?

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:35 pm

biker jk wrote:Can I ask which hub that is as it appears that the drive side flange is lower than the non-drive side?
Ultegra 6700 Series. As to the flange appearing smaller - it's not. Just an unintentional trick of my mad photography skillz. I have found some evidence of similar failures from a couple of other users on the 'net. But I'm still not entirely eliminating my build... or my weight... or well, just plain bad luck.

Withoud threadstorming too much more, here's some proper post mortem pics for the morbidly curious.

Image Image

I have a 6500 Series that'll be replacing it with... more through sheer frugality than anything else.
--

simonn

Postby simonn » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:37 pm

schroeds wrote:Thanks to both answers...yes I was hinting at culture...more specifically if one would feel like a tool on a carbon deep rimmed rig (especially when dying at the 160km mark with 40 left to go :lol: )
It's up to you if you would feel like a tool or not. I've never heard anyone intentionally making anyone else feel foolish for their gear choice. Plenty of people use normal road wheels with low spoke count. Sometimes they regret it when their rear rim splits 492km into a 600km ride and they have to DNF :cry: :cry: :cry:. Then they get strong rimmed, albeit heavier, 32 spoke wheels.
schroeds wrote: ...but on the other hand was also wondering whether a 100km ride entails tootling along at a 400km ride pace or whether there are faster riders.
There is a max average speed of 30kph elapsed. You could ride to a checkpoint faster, but you would have to wait until the opening time, which is based on 30kph avg speed elapsed until that point, until getting it signed. Hypothetically, you could be disqualified for riding too fast, or at least having your brevet card signed as such. However, 50, 100 and 150km audax rides are really beginner rides. 200km is where it starts (i.e. can be validated in France, count towards PBP allocation etc).

30kph or greater elapsed over 200km+ is pretty big call for an amateur.
Normally, yes. At least in northern Sydney. There are fewer riders in the winter, but they tend to be the stronger riders too.
biker jk wrote:How does a 1200km ride actually work, what would the average person do, 300 per day?
Usually 350 or so for three days and then balance on the other. This is pretty much the deal with most multi-day rides. Some people ride through. The fastest Aussies did the last PBP (~1250km) in 50 hours 28 minutes :shock: with no sleep :shock:.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:45 pm

Crawf wrote:How does a 1200km ride actually work, what would the average person do, 300 per day?
Ideally a bit more, but it's all about managing the distances, your rest times and such all within the final time limit of 90 hours. Refer here.

When you work them out, the average speeds required aren't fast by any means. It's maintaining them when the fatigue sets in or making it up if there's delays. Of course, you having to weigh this up with known conditions or even things unforseen like mechanicals or freak weather. It's a little more strategic than people give it credit for I think.
--

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:48 pm

simonn wrote:
It's up to you if you would feel like a tool or not. I've never heard anyone intentionally making anyone else feel foolish for their gear choice. Plenty of people use normal road wheels with low spoke count. Sometimes they regret it when their rear rim splits 492km into a 600km ride and they have to DNF :cry: :cry: :cry:. Then they get strong rimmed, albeit heavier, 32 spoke wheels.
schroeds wrote: ...but on the other hand was also wondering whether a 100km ride entails tootling along at a 400km ride pace or whether there are faster riders.
There is a max average speed of 30kph elapsed. You could ride to a checkpoint faster, but you would have to wait until the opening time, which is based on 30kph avg speed elapsed until that point, until getting it signed. Hypothetically, you could be disqualified for riding too fast, or at least having your brevet card signed as such. However, 50, 100 and 150km audax rides are really beginner rides. 200km is where it starts (i.e. can be validated in France, count towards PBP allocation etc).

30kph or greater elapsed over 200km+ is pretty big call for an amateur.
Normally, yes. At least in northern Sydney. There are fewer riders in the winter, but they tend to be the stronger riders too.
biker jk wrote:How does a 1200km ride actually work, what would the average person do, 300 per day?
Usually 350 or so for three days and then balance on the other. This is pretty much the deal with most multi-day rides. Some people ride through. The fastest Aussies did the last PBP (~1250km) in 50 hours 28 minutes :shock: with no sleep :shock:.
Thanks for your response but I didn't ask that question.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:48 pm

You would feel like a tool if you are sensitive :wink: But really, there are a couple of guys that ride carbon rims. I have found the Audax crew very non-judgemental.
schroeds wrote:...but on the other hand was also wondering whether a 100km ride entails tootling along at a 400km ride pace or whether there are faster riders.
Some riders blast all the rides. There are usually fast riders. I saw a guy finish a hilly 200km ride in around 6 hours. :shock: There have been fast and slow riders on all the rides I have been on.
<removed by request>