Moron Motorists #3

jasonc

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:18 pm

InTheWoods wrote: It seems easy enough to book people for specific road rules when you have video. Except for close shaves, because close shaves are legal as long as you don't collide.

unless your name is Craig.........

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:29 pm

jasonc wrote:
InTheWoods wrote: It seems easy enough to book people for specific road rules when you have video. Except for close shaves, because close shaves are legal as long as you don't collide.
Incorrect ... Mr Jeep got booked. Just for a far less serious charge than deserved :(

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:51 pm

This mornings effort:

The first is a MGIF, I wasn't riding as fast as usual through there (no downhill entry today), normally I'm at traffic speed. It wasn't a close shave so no biggie.

Then came the SMIDSY which I suspect was really either I'm going anyway or a complete misjudgement of my speed.

On a better note I had a bus wait behind for a while along a narrow windy section, didn't have camera running for that though, forgot to start recording. I have sent a thankyou to the bus co.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:57 pm

InTheWoods wrote:
jasonc wrote:
Incorrect ... Mr Jeep got booked. Just for a far less serious charge than deserved :(

nothing in the charges about injuring the cyclist.....

johnny99

Postby johnny99 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:44 pm

Here are my two efforts from this morning.
The first blue car decided to go around a bend on the wrong side of the road over the double white line. This was on Campersic Rd heading towards Haddrill Rd.
The second clip shows some considerate truck drivers along Great Northern Highway in Middle Swan and to show the volume of trucks that use this Rd.
The third part shows a truck with an oversize load coming a bit too close.
I contacted the company today and have received a reply to say they know who the driver was and that they will speak to him.

http://youtu.be/3WyOCKRoGWs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:53 pm

johnny99 wrote:The third part shows a truck with an oversize load coming a bit too close.
I contacted the company today and have received a reply to say they know who the driver was and that they will speak to him.
Good to hear that they seem to be taking it seriously. :)

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:59 pm

:lol: Might be worth sending an email to those companies whose drivers did tbe right thing, commending them on their considerate driving.

I wish everyone was like that! How nice would that be?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:09 pm

johnny99 wrote:Here are my two efforts from this morning.
The first blue car decided to go around a bend on the wrong side of the road over the double white line. This was on Campersic Rd heading towards Haddrill Rd.
The inability to follow the road rules on double-lines is an appalling rule-breaker carried out by 95%+ of all drivers when faced with overtaking a cyclist. Even many cyclists seem to accept it as better than a close shave. You know, I don't think this would be the case if there was an oncoming car or truck over the hill or around the bend :shock: :(

The very simple and legally correct solution is to stay to the left of the double-lines and WAIT..... either until the double-lines end and the road is clear, or until there is enough room to safely pass the cyclist while staying left of the lines. It's not rocket science for the love of mike!!

That driver in your video was so blatantly over that I'd think a word to the police with the video to display may be worthwhile. A TIN, or even just plod knocking on the door may be valuable to re-educate him/her. I'd guess the rego is legible on the original video.
Last edited by il padrone on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

johnny99

Postby johnny99 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:12 pm

The car that went past me on the wrong side of the road had sat behind me for about 100m or so on the straight part of the Rd before going past so not sure why they couldnt have waited another 30seconds.
And Trailgumby yes I will be contacting those companies that I can identify.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:30 pm

I had a good one this morning. Melburnians may be familiar with going through St Kilda junction heading North and dealing with vehicles who want to turn down Queens Rd. Often there are cars stuck in the wrong lane and they have to go over the bike lane to get to the Queens Rd access. Inevitably it is clogged up at peak hour. Today we had a numpty sitting across the bike lane as she had not been in the correct lane. Of course the bikes have just come down a hill so we are often going a fair speed. So she just sits there waiting for a gap and blocking bikes, and cars who were in the lane going to St Kilda Rd.

When I drive, if I end up in the wrong lane I live with the consequences. Mistakenly in the right turn lane? Oh well, just have to turn right don't I. The irony of this is that any car stuck in the lane going to St Kilda Rd can just go a block, turn left, and then turn right into Queens Rd. Then again, she may have been in the wrong lane because she wanted to get ahead of all the other cars turning into Queens Rd.

Where do they learn to drive?

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:52 am

Had a wow moment this morning. I was stopped at traffic lights (going straight ahead) while traffic turned right in front of me into side street. No problems there. All of a sudden a 4WD Pajero comes flying up behind me and straight through the red light, just as another car was ready to turn right in front of it. Luckily the turning car saw the 4WD and worked out he wasn't stopping and so he stopped instead, otherwise there would of been massive carnage and possibly loss of life. My guess is the 4WD owner was still half-asleep (it was about 5.30am) rather than deliberately running the red. Luckily for me he didn't drift into the bike lane and collect me as he went through the lights.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:34 am

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/18796 ... -cyclists/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:40 am

Had my own version of THIS last night.
I was riding in the left tyre track, it went on for a whole minute, by the end his horn was dieing, was a 2 lane road too so he could have easily gone round, I refused to move onto the footpath, in fact his horn just made me ride slower and claim more of the lane to avoid a shave.
The kicker - he had a bike rack on his roof.

I think my camera is going to make a comeback.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:46 am

Almost got hit this morning by a guy in a big ute. Passes me in a narrow point (for a traffic refuge), misses me by a couple of cm at most. AZ time. Arm and finger come out of window. "What was that about, Dude", I ask when I catch up 500 meters down the road. "Get off the road" he says, along with some noice language. Video tonight. The only good thing is I didn't injure myself when I was beating the crap out of my locker when I got to work. The locker survived too. :roll:

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:14 pm

If it was at a set of lights you should of sat your ass directly infront of his car :lol: :lol:

cowled

Postby cowled » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:58 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:If it was at a set of lights you should of sat your ass directly infront of his car :lol: :lol:
Dude, it may feel like the right thing to do ... definitely not a wise thing to do though.

ITW, very sorry to hear about your close call, but glad to know you are uninjured.
Image 2015 Goal: 2,500km

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:55 pm

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:39 pm

had a ute overtake me this morning
in a 60 zone
I was doing 62

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:49 pm

jasonc wrote:in a 60 zone
I was doing 62
You lawbreaker lycra lout, how dare you speed, don't you know that multiple babies could of been killed :wink: :twisted:

johnny99

Postby johnny99 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:35 pm

trailgumby wrote::lol: Might be worth sending an email to those companies whose drivers did tbe right thing, commending them on their considerate driving.

I wish everyone was like that! How nice would that be?
I have managed to identify Marleys transport, BGC, Triton transport and Dino's transport. I have sent a email to all of them acknowledging their drivers

arkle

Postby arkle » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:47 pm

Ross wrote:
I was doing 62
You lawbreaker lycra lout, how dare you speed, don't you know that multiple babies could of been killed :wink: :twisted:
Despite you trying to make it sound light-hearted and funny, cyclists should not speed any more than car drivers should not speed.

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:55 pm

jasonc wrote:had a ute overtake me this morning
in a 60 zone
I was doing 60.99
Fixed it for you Jason :P

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:16 pm

arkle wrote:
Ross wrote:
I was doing 62
Despite you trying to make it sound light-hearted and funny, cyclists should not speed any more than car drivers should not speed.

arkle
I exceeded the speed limit for 7 seconds. I maxed out at 62.3km/h

arkle

Postby arkle » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:44 pm

jasonc wrote:
arkle wrote:
Ross wrote:

arkle
I exceeded the speed limit for 7 seconds. I maxed out at 62.3km/h
I break the speed limit on my bicycle too, but if we are going to chastise motorists for breaking laws in this thread, we can't make light of our own discretions as if they don't matter.

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:47 pm

indiscretions ?? [end pedant]

I really do not see how 2.3 kmh over the limit for 7 seconds... on a bicycle, is a serious indiscretion :|
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."